Narrated by Jack Webb.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(04-10-2021, 04:37 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"hounddoghowlie" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCzHVzOXmw

Narrated by Jack Webb.

Cheers

thank you, Oo Rah

don't take this wrong, don't want to be accused of being condescending again, but that's kinda on tame side. looks like one of those recruiting video they play for you at the recruiters office, boy most are shocked when they get to Parris island. i had two uncles that were Marines and they told me what to expect, and it still didn't come close to the real deal.

those were Hollywood Marines saw some of the training was close to Parris Island ( some say they treated the recruits the same as Parris Island, others say no)  and there was nothing nearly close to the constant nerve racking in your face yelling. it started from the time you got off the plane at the little airport, i can't remember the name of the town until the day you graduate. in receiving there are like 10 or more DI's constantly running through the recuts yelling. it does ease up just a tad near the end, but you are a maggot from start to the day the commanding officer calls you Marine.

if you really want to see what boot camp is in the Marine Corps, two movies do the best job of depicting boot camp. The Boys From Company C, and Full Metal Jacket. are as close to real as i've ever seen. Gunny R Lee Ermey is in both.

[video=youtube]http:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IzRiA_do8Q//[/video]

[Image: TWBB.png]

(04-10-2021, 06:12 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 04:37 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"hounddoghowlie" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCzHVzOXmw

Narrated by Jack Webb.

Cheers

thank you, Oo Rah

don't take this wrong, don't want to be accused of being condescending again, but that's kinda on tame side. looks like one of those recruiting video they play for you at the recruiters office, boy most are shocked when they get to Parris island. i had two uncles that were Marines and they told me what to expect, and it still didn't come close to the real deal.

those were Hollywood Marines saw some of the training was close to Parris Island ( some say they treated the recruits the same as Parris Island, others say no)  and there was nothing nearly close to the constant nerve racking in your face yelling. it started from the time you got off the plane at the little airport, i can't remember the name of the town until the day you graduate. in receiving there are like 10 or more DI's constantly running through the recuts yelling. it does ease up just a tad near the end, but you are a maggot from start to the day the commanding officer calls you Marine.

if you really want to see what boot camp is in the Marine Corps, two movies do the best job of depicting boot camp. The Boys From Company C, and Full Metal Jacket. are as close to real as i've ever seen. Gunny R Lee Ermey is in both.

[video=youtube]http:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IzRiA_do8Q//[/video]

I've always wondered about something.  If you grew up with parents who screamed at you alot of the time like this and learned how to cope with it, would it help you cope with the DI's doing it?
(04-10-2021, 06:55 PM)drussell41 Wrote: I've always wondered about something.  If you grew up with parents who screamed at you alot of the time like this and learned how to cope with it, would it help you cope with the DI's doing it?

hard to say, but if i had parents that yelled and screamed at me the way DI's did i would have ran away long before i left home. don't get me wrong, my teenage years at home were kinda ruff once i started hanging out with some of my friends back then. but my folks never called me cock sucker, pussy, fagot, best part of me was a brown stain on the mattress,  made me choke myself  hit me the way DI's did. which they weren't suppose to do because of the deaths and other abuses that took place in the 60's and 70's. but when i joined there were still some of the old school DI's left and old habits are hard to break.

(04-10-2021, 07:23 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 06:55 PM)drussell41 Wrote: I've always wondered about something.  If you grew up with parents who screamed at you alot of the time like this and learned how to cope with it, would it help you cope with the DI's doing it?

hard to say, but if i had parents that yelled and screamed at me the way DI's did i would have ran away long before i left home. don't get me wrong, my teenage years at home were kinda ruff once i started hanging out with some of my friends back then. but my folks never called me cock sucker, pussy, fagot, best part of me was a brown stain on the mattress,  made me choke myself  hit me the way DI's did. which they weren't suppose to do because of the deaths and other abuses that took place in the 60's and 70's. but when i joined there were still some of the old school DI's left and old habits are hard to break.

Just curious. Sounds pretty hellish.
(04-10-2021, 07:28 PM)drussell41 Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 07:23 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

Just curious.   Sounds pretty hellish.

it is in way, but it helps to prepare you for what you might see later during your time in the service. helps you learn to focus on what you need to be doing while all the sh@@ is coming your way.

(04-10-2021, 07:51 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: it is in way, but it helps to prepare you for what you might see later during your time in the service. helps you learn to focus on what you need to be doing while all the sh@@ is coming your way.

That it would.   minusculebeercheers  My husband did the DI thing for the Army for a little bit.

I've read and watched shows on the Pacific Theater and the Marines in it.   Speechless.
@"hounddoghowlie" 

Oh yeah, this video was definitely public relations material.  But some good video in there.

I also like the "Big Picture" series that was produced by the Army during the 1950s - 1970s.  More PR stuff, but some great video and still images to capture from them; things like obscure Cold War uniforms and equipment.

As much as I don't like google, I appreciate youtube having the old material online, else, it would be lost forever.

Re: the harassment.  Most of it boiled down to one message:  "Hey, asshole.  Get over yourself.  You're nothing special."

Kind of interesting to compare that with the attitude which children are now being taught in schools etc.  Safe spaces, feelings are everything and disregard that naughty reality, micro-aggression ... there has to be a happy middle ground somewhere.  Teaching people they can ignore reality is a recipe for creating people who fail at life.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]