Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fine moments
I'd like to start a thread describing brief experiences that were elevating, surprising but pleasant, and so forth.  Please contribute your experiences.  I'll start off.

-- Walking around a ruin on an old battlefield near the Rhine River, pushing some through some knee-high brush.  Suddenly, the air is pierced by a loud shriek.

-- I had been greeted by a wild peacock in an area I had no idea they are to be found.  Never saw the bird, just heard it.  Fantastic.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

I remember years ago I was sitting alone on top of a fjord in Norway, about 600m high looking out over the sea. I felt at ease, slowly I felt myself sinking in to the mountain, becoming one with it. I understood this is me, this is my home. Slowly I returned , I was filled with content but also a deep dark sadness. I know where my home is and I knew where I belonged, but I also knew as long as I lived, as long as I walked with humans I would never be happy, never feel home, always be alone. 
I await my time to return home
John and I had decided we wanted some Cobra boots. Not made out of Cobra hide/skin but boots that came to just below our knees. We had been told that on a small side street there was a guy who made the boots that we wanted.

This was a small ally very dark and in an area most round eye soldiers would probably avoid. John and I were in peak condition and we both stood over 6'2" so we figured we could handle anything that might confront us but an AK.

We walked and out of a dark interior of a building this giant of an Asian guy who stood at least 6'6" and looked like Hercules moved to the center of the narrow ally and in broken English asked, "What you want"?

I spoke a little of his language and said, " We are looking for the place that does boots". He motioned for us to follow him and we went into the dark building waiting to be jumped by a whole horde of giant evil doers.

He turned on a light and got some paper out and told us to take off out boots. We place our feet on the paper and he took a pencil and drew the outline of our feet on the paper.

He told us to come back in 5 days and the boots would be finished. "Pay now".

5 days later we returned during the day time and the boots were finished. I keep those boots for at least 30 years and they were the most comfortable boots I have ever owned.

Come to find out Mr. Hercules was in the army and was special forces. A super good guy that we remained friends with until we left country.

John passed away 4 months ago after a long career with US Airways as a Captain on the 757 and 767.

I think I remember that so well because we thought thought we had made a wrong turn and were going to get into some serious Sh*t. Instead we met a great guy ....
Years ago a family member called me up and asked me to please take a kitten from a litter because she couldn't keep them. All she told me was that it was an orange mixed breed. Anyway, after much pleading on her part (because I wasn't supposed to have animals at my rental), I agreed to take a kitten. 

When I arrived to pick him up and saw him for the first time, my heart swelled with love immediately. I was so over-joyed to get this kitten for free. Most people pay big bucks for a cat like this. It even had the mix of Persian in it's face like the one below. It's face wasn't flat, but it didn't have the protruding nose like other cats have. 
This picture is closest to how he looked that I could find on the internet:

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luvbat.com%2Fuploads...f=1&nofb=1]

I brought him home and then watched my husband fall in love with him too. He had never been a cat lover, but this one turned him around, and he's been a cat lover ever since. 
This cat brought us both so much love for the next 16.5 years he spent in our home, I can't begin to tell you. He was smart, understood English, met me at the door every morning as I came in from work, and slept at my feet in bed. 
He was one of a kind. 

When he was totally grown, he weighed 20 lbs. All our visitors oooed and awed over him when they came in; said he was the largest cat they'd ever seen! 
The picture below looks like he did as an adult cat, except he was orange and had greenish eyes. His fluffy tail made him the envy of all other cats. 

Today he rests on the hill behind our house. I put out new (fake) flowers on his grave every year. Some people may think this is ridiculous, but we both considered him just as much a member of the family as any human. He is deeply missed, but I will always cherish the love this little kitten brought into my life. 

[Image: fluffy-cat-on-street.jpg]
Gods little Jewels