Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
From Skeptic Overlord ATS
So basically, the only thing that kept that dead horse going for the last few years wasn't individual thought/intelligence, but the usual online CTR shills that kept the numbers high enough to make it look like a viable solution with regard to online traffic.

I lurked long ago(over a decade), I read great shit, it drew me in, but in the end it was a dead end and ultimately became the thing it pretended it wasn't.

I don't feel bad at all it crashed and burned.
(03-29-2021, 08:56 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Rodinus" 

Ha!  I recall that post you mentioned and looked for it yesterday, without success.

So ... strange.  If Mark is the sole owner now, why all the pseudo-drama about the owner's identity?

Cheers
Thanks mate.

Hehe, at least one of us here has a decent memory.

I am absolutely gutted that I didn't take a screen shot!

As for the pseudo drama... People like something to blabber on about when it isn't raining...

Warmest

Rod
I still don't understand why the Kamikaze pilots wore helmets!
(03-29-2021, 08:34 AM)MisterSpock Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 08:28 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 04:29 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: I realized last night who bought it. 

Phage.

I don't think he could let go and come to grasp with the fact that he went from one of the most well respected members to a TDS riddled contrarian shell of what he was. 

He probably bought it, so that he can keep the site up and go back and look at old threads back when he used to get all those stars and all that praise.

You know, I don't know if he somehow lost his ability to critically think, or if maybe he was just playing Devil's Advocate, but his political post don't seem to have the same timber there his scientific posts once had, and I've noticed it too. If he was just playing at having TDS, then he is a Master of the Game!

He is a member here as well, and is always welcome to come set the record straight and remove all doubts!

Frankly, I've always viewed his "golden boy" status as questionable, even over a decade ago when I started lurking. Sure, back then he was much more on point and his replies where of much more substance. Lately that is far from the case, he argues syntax or symantics while being a contrarion seeking to trap the original poster into a loop of having to continually restate their opinion. 

He's literally a "goto" programming loop that just keeps going over and over again. I never bought into his "amazement" even though I did think he was sharp, after 10 years I've realized he is just probably autistic at best, retarded more likely.

Yeah, I know. I got in a political pissing contest with him a couple months ago, and he tried to get me into that endless loop. Not my fault if I just ain't loopy...

But his political critical thought appears to be faulty, and he seems to be stuck in that endless loop himself, so it may not be intentional. He just may not be able to get back to the original line number.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-29-2021, 09:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

Phage.

I don't think he could let go and come to grasp with the fact that he went from one of the most well respected members to a TDS riddled contrarian shell of what he was. 

He probably bought it, so that he can keep the site up and go back and look at old threads back when he used to get all those stars and all that praise.

You know, I don't know if he somehow lost his ability to critically think, or if maybe he was just playing Devil's Advocate, but his political post don't seem to have the same timber there his scientific posts once had, and I've noticed it too. If he was just playing at having TDS, then he is a Master of the Game!

He is a member here as well, and is always welcome to come set the record straight and remove all doubts!

Frankly, I've always viewed his "golden boy" status as questionable, even over a decade ago when I started lurking. Sure, back then he was much more on point and his replies where of much more substance. Lately that is far from the case, he argues syntax or symantics while being a contrarion seeking to trap the original poster into a loop of having to continually restate their opinion. 

He's literally a "goto" programming loop that just keeps going over and over again. I never bought into his "amazement" even though I did think he was sharp, after 10 years I've realized he is just probably autistic at best, retarded more likely.

Yeah, I know. I got in a political pissing contest with him a couple months ago, and he tried to get me into that endless loop. Not my fault if I just ain't loopy...

But his political critical thought appears to be faulty, and he seems to be stuck in that endless loop himself, so it may not be intentional. He just may not be able to get back to the original line number.

Honestly, I don't think it's his fault, he's just someone who got caught up in his own bullshit(and that forum didn't help), much like AM, who everyone thought was a comedic genius(again, I never saw it, I was way funnier than that guy). But sites like that carve out their niche and their "heroes".
(03-29-2021, 08:44 AM)Rodinus Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 10:30 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 07:21 PM)Rodinus Wrote: Check out the name Mark Allin by typing his name followed by the Above network Llc on your search bar.

I beleive he is the new owner.

Warmest 

Rod

Mark Allin was one of the old owners. Are you suggesting he just bought the rest out?

Hi Nin.

Apologies for answering late as mucho things to do and I guess we are not on the same time zone!? (France here)

I came to this conclusion about 3 weeks ago, as after intensive search I finally managed to come up with an answer (so to speak ) that time stamped Mark Allin as the sole owner of The Above Network at the end of February.

Before February there were multiple owners (The 3 amigos)

However, what is strange... Is that the info I found has suddenly "vanished" from the internet... I am kicking myself that I did not get a screenshot at the time!

If memory serves me right, somewhere on this forum end of February I had already posted his name with a link but I cannot find it now as I am crap!

I am going to dig into this deeper and if I come up with anything will share it here.

Kindest respects

Rod

So he may have just bought out the other two Amigos. makes sense, and if that is the case I don't reckon much will change. I never had any problems with Springer. He was the one that approached me about posting my book on ATS.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-29-2021, 08:53 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: One thing that ATS has in common with so many other internet sites is arbitrariness.  In making rules, and enforcing them.

We complain today about censorship on the big social media networks, but in truth, the censorship on the net, and before that, on the dial-in bulletin boards, was always there.  And it always boiled down to how the owner's left toe felt that day.

In one way, I understand how it came to be that way.  If a site gave every poster the right of rebuttal, they would do nothing but deal with psycho tools who wasted their time endlessly.

The rub is that the sites take the lowest common denominator approach and apply the "no rebutting" rules to everyone.  Thus, they lose people who contribute usefully to the site.

ATS has to know they have a dedicated cadre of shills and trolls.  Yet, all users are required to refrain from calling others shills or trolls.  That does NOT contribute to useful discussion.  All it does is allow the well of the public discussion to be constantly poisoned by disinformation agents.  Clearly, the people running ATS are not dull ... which makes one wonder, "why do they tolerate this?"

To be fair, I have seen certain of the shills/trolls disappear for periods of time.  I suspect in those cases they got hit with temporary bans.  In other cases, I've seen some of the firebrands tone down their presentation considerably -- perhaps as a result of 'counseling' by ATS staff that they were heading for a permanent ban.  But without such punishment being made public, the rest of the users learn nothing from the exercise.  Someone gets banned: make it public, and explain why that individual was banned.  Like all internet venues, too much is done on the low-low.

This is one thing that is refreshing about RN3.  Yeah, there are mods, but their touch here is light.  Discussion is transparent, and often the site owner joins in.  And I don't get the sense of arbitrariness that hangs over so many other places on the internet.

Cheers

There is a difference between CALLING someone a shill, and pointing out their shilliness with specific examples. One is a only personal attack against the poster, the other is setting the record straight about the topic at hand.

Over there, I often "toned down" my rhetoric, but not out of any overabundance of caution or because of any mod counseling. it was just my normal modus operandi. I would go into a thread slinging shit like a mad woman slinging shit off a sock to throw my opponent off balance, and then tone it down as I brought them around to my way of thinking. No need to keep pounding them as they thought the logic through, y'know? It would have been counter-productive, and only serve to alienate them and cause them to dig in...

(03-29-2021, 08:56 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Rodinus" 

Ha!  I recall that post you mentioned and looked for it yesterday, without success.

So ... strange.  If Mark is the sole owner now, why all the pseudo-drama about the owner's identity?

Cheers

Might have been some sort of falling out about the direction the site should take that they didn't want to air in public. If Springer is now the sole owner and the other Amigos are out, that would certainly raise questions they might not want to answer.

@"Ninurta" 

Recent politics have also raised new challenges that "old line" moderators may not even recognize.

Take the situation on ATS where there is a dedicated cadre of Brits and occasional others who argue ceaselessly on behalf of the Left in threads about American politics.

I don't need a political science degree to understand those people are agents.  Someone, somewhere, is engaging them, probably on a monetary basis, to go onto websites and push the party line.  If the Left can't find enough locals to perform that activity, they now recruit worldwide.

That kind of crap is only going to get worse.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(03-29-2021, 09:14 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 08:44 AM)Rodinus Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 07:21 PM)Rodinus Wrote: Check out the name Mark Allin by typing his name followed by the Above network Llc on your search bar.

Warmest 

Rod

Mark Allin was one of the old owners. Are you suggesting he just bought the rest out?

Hi Nin.

Apologies for answering late as mucho things to do and I guess we are not on the same time zone!? (France here)

I came to this conclusion about 3 weeks ago, as after intensive search I finally managed to come up with an answer (so to speak ) that time stamped Mark Allin as the sole owner of The Above Network at the end of February.

Before February there were multiple owners (The 3 amigos)

However, what is strange... Is that the info I found has suddenly "vanished" from the internet... I am kicking myself that I did not get a screenshot at the time!

If memory serves me right, somewhere on this forum end of February I had already posted his name with a link but I cannot find it now as I am crap!

I am going to dig into this deeper and if I come up with anything will share it here.

Kindest respects

Rod

So he may have just bought out the other two Amigos. makes sense, and if that is the case I don't reckon much will change. I never had any problems with Springer. He was the one that approached me about posting my book on ATS.

Could be the case and would make sense but I am going to dig in deeper.

I agree with you mate, if this is the case nothing will change.

Warmest

Rod
(03-29-2021, 09:13 AM)MisterSpock Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 09:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

Phage.

Honestly, I don't think it's his fault, he's just someone who got caught up in his own bullshit(and that forum didn't help), much like AM, who everyone thought was a comedic genius(again, I never saw it, I was way funnier than that guy). But sites like that carve out their niche and their "heroes".
LOL...

AM... Another one of those bullshittrolls who gets everyone to fall in love with him because of his what he "wants and thinks" people might find as intellingent wit and then all of the sudden when election season comes around gets all politics and stuff... Much like Phage...

IMO opinion, they are both paid.

They must think most people are stupid... Lol, in a way they may be right! (They certainly baited a fair few sheeple over there on ATS!)

Warmest

Rod
(03-29-2021, 09:31 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Ninurta" 

Recent politics have also raised new challenges that "old line" moderators may not even recognize.

Take the situation on ATS where there is a dedicated cadre of Brits and occasional others who argue ceaselessly on behalf of the Left in threads about American politics.

I don't need a political science degree to understand those people are agents.  Someone, somewhere, is engaging them, probably on a monetary basis, to go onto websites and push the party line.  If the Left can't find enough locals to perform that activity, they now recruit worldwide.

Cheers

Oh, I have no doubts there are agents over there, or "influencers". or whatever name is in vogue for that sort of being now. MfLuder and I caught a couple of CCP shills from Bureau 9, or Bureau 11, or whatever their cyber intel bureau is, several years ago, and outed them. We didn't call them out as shills, however - we just asked how the weather was in their office in Beijng, and they vanished with a POOF noise, never to be seen there again.

I do wonder who the British agents are being paid by, but given that it was a former MI6 agent who faked that whole "Russian dossier" against Trump, my rumination don't go too far. There were, and probably still are, all sorts of agents working ATS, from all sorts of countries including the good ol' USA, but there is a finesse to calling them out and shutting them up while at the same time avoiding getting mod-smacked...

@"Ninurta" 

Canada got outed as having a government "influencer" group working various websites.

I think the sources boil down to government agencies, political parties, corporations, and some churches.

Long ago, I tried pointing out to admins on Wikipedia how articles were being subverted to push various agendas.  But the vast bulk of that activity was on the English-language Wikipedia, not the other national Wikis.  Of course, very little interest on the part of the Wikipedia admins.  That whole "Wiki" enterprise is very ideological in any case.

A price we pay, I suppose, for English being a de facto international language.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Warmest 

Rod

Could be. Maybe he went All-in.

I had a hat, right? i just get my hat and leave minusculebeercheers
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(03-29-2021, 10:14 AM)Finspiracy Wrote:

Warmest 

Rod

You are the new owner Finn? tinybigeyes
(03-29-2021, 09:55 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 09:31 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: @"Ninurta" 

Cheers
 but there is a finesse to calling them out and shutting them up while at the same time avoiding getting mod-smacked...

We (old time members of ATS) know the language of old time mods and the crap they send us in Pms when we are about to be banned...

The same old American SOP for ATS...

Why heck, even one of those mods has been invited here and never contributes....!

Strange huh DTOM????

Warmest

Rod
(03-28-2021, 11:43 PM)Finspiracy Wrote: Reading the opening sentences of your post felt odd. You, banned? You are one of the most polite persons online ever.
But then it all made sense. Of course you had two accounts, one for you, and one for the creature in your shed. tinycool

Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for your compliment.

I was working evenings at a newspaper outlet, dealing with photographs needed for articles, properties for sale
and other aspects of local information from a newspaper. The work wasn't very demanding and as the night wore
on, required images from Journalists to 'tweak' or 'enhance' due to the low quality level of producing a newspaper,
would dry up.

I worked alone on a whole floor of the building and it was rare anyone visited me. One young man -a Graphics Artist
belonging to the Editorial Dept. would sometimes appear and request some assistance regarding something he was
working on and we struck-up a rapport.

As we chatted, I mentioned that I was a member of ATS and that would sometimes visit the site to see the amazing
views and opinions of people on the reality we all assume to exist in. Not knowing anything about the website, he was
intrigued enough to accompany me to ATS and read some of threads.

One particular thread was 'Who would win between in a fight between a Grey and a human?' and the idea made us
both giggle. The responses -if memory serves, were mainly conducted by a lady with the title 'Mr Green' and after
introducing myself, we had many humorous comments regarding such a weird battle.

This went on for a couple of evenings until somebody interjected a statement that the grey humanoid aliens detest
the feeling of human urine on their skins and this revelation sent the Graphic Artist and myself off onto an entirely
different tangent as the initial discussion had began to wane.

I laughingly suggested in the thread, an idea that such a notion of 'urine-fear' could lead a the more milder of us to
strike-out and become a warrior for the people, a piss-squirting combatant taking the fight to the space-enemy.
Mr Green began to ask questions that I and the Graphics Artist were certain put forward to maintain a feeling of
jocular harmless interaction and a prompt that not everything on the internet needs to seem deadly and negative.

(The conversation eventually ended-up creating this unfinished piece! 'We The Valiant'!)

As Mr Green enquired more into our imagined scenario of hilarity, the absurdity grew and that was when the young
visitor to my work-station suggested he would join ATS in order to hopefully upgrade the ridiculousness! Whether
anyone else was still viewing the thread, we weren't sure, but Mr Green hung in there and supported our silly synopsis
of an unlikely collection of galactic war-veterans travelling across time and space in an ice-cream van.
tinyhuh

It was only when asked to prove how my suggestion that telepathy could be a factor on why these aliens always knew
how to avoid an obvious public disclosure, did we mess up. I began to answer and giggling over a keyboard in another
part of my work-station, the relatively new poster to the thread -the Graphics Artist, finished my sentence.

That was it and the balloon went up! The Mods surged in and accused me of being the Graphics Artist's character.
An email was sent explaining their theory (same I.P address) and I was banned. However, I answered and explained
the situation regarding myself and a fellow-employee, plus the harmless nature of what we were doing.

Nope, I was talking to myself and the verdict remained. You're out kid and my personal account was closed... except,
not the newer Graphics Artist account, that remained open?! We -the Graphic Artist and myself stayed out of the ATS
site until his own work required less and less visits in the evening.

After a couple of weeks, Boy In A Dress appeared on ATS and I joined in on a Creative Writing story involving Ninurta
and a few other members. Not long after, I was made redundant from the newspaper company and with assistance
from the wise 'red-neck' who appears on many of the banners, found my way to Rogue Nation!

I hope this explains the banning!
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(03-29-2021, 08:47 AM)Rodinus Wrote: Ahhhhhh...

The most condescending self centered arsehole on the internet...

Mr "I am always right and whatever you debate with me for which I can't provide proof I will come back with an off topic question to question your credibility"

The guy is a fully fledged dick head shilltroll.

And I wont go into the details of what I think of some of the power mad Mods over there...

Sincere apologies for my rant.

Just my two €uro centimes.

Kindest respects

Rod

I initially bought into the 'Phage Phenomena' and accepted he was the Librarian of Everything for ATS.
His obstinate manner always made me smile until I harmlessly answered him in a thread with a lean towards agreeing with him.

His response...? The impression I got was that my opinion didn't matter and I was being nothing more than a suck-up, so I steered
clear of any thread he rarely involved himself with. (This was well-over ten years ago).
It seemed polite accord was beneath this alleged learned person!
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(03-29-2021, 11:02 AM)Rodinus Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 10:14 AM)Finspiracy Wrote:

Warmest 

Rod

You are the new owner Finn? tinybigeyes

Sort of. I won a million euros from eurojackpot, bought ATS for half a million and smoked and drank half a million. Then CIA and The Agency Of Politically Correct Behavior offered me 4.20 euros if i sell them ATS. Sold. I had one beer from a bar with that. It helped me, regarding my hangover!

-Jean-Paul Sartre
@"BIAD" 

"Sorry for the delay in replying"

Haha! Delay! i have endless amounts of time, and that is all i have. There is no such thing as "delay" for me.

Yeah aliens... My opinion, why they have not contacted us (without a doubt, proven) is that we are a violent species. Look at an alligator. Think about an alligator. Prehistoric, ready to kill, in order to survive just to kill some more. That is how advanced alien civilizations view us.

ATS needs a thick skin, in order to participate in conversations there. I do not have it. I have tried to grow it but i was unable to do it. I talked about Mandela effect there. I got ridicule and i got ad hominem arguments thrown at me. I like to have a good time online, not being a fucking target. Sure, i understand, Mandela effect is just as insane as "flat earth" (which i do not believe in) But i would like to talk about what i experienced and how it messed me up almost to the point of no return. I am able to do it here, RN3, and it is THE ONLY PLACE i can do it, real life, sleep life or online life (the three realities of existence)

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(03-29-2021, 11:40 AM)BIAD Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 08:47 AM)Rodinus Wrote: Ahhhhhh...

The most condescending self centered arsehole on the internet...

Mr "I am always right and whatever you debate with me for which I can't provide proof I will come back with an off topic question to question your credibility"

The guy is a fully fledged dick head shilltroll.

And I wont go into the details of what I think of some of the power mad Mods over there...

Sincere apologies for my rant.

Just my two €uro centimes.

Kindest respects

Rod

I initially bought into the 'Phage Phenomena' and accepted he was the Librarian of Everything for ATS.
His obstinate manner always made me smile until I harmlessly answered him in a thread with a lean towards agreeing with him.

His response...? The impression I got was that my opinion didn't matter and I was being nothing more than a suck-up, so I steered
clear of any thread he rarely involved himself with. (This was well-over ten years ago).
It seemed polite accord was beneath this alleged learned person!
minusculethumbsup
When you provided links and or videos showing Phage he was wrong he never bothered to answer the articles or the videos... I stopped replying to him many years ago..turn about fair play...!