Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looks like a fan blade failure on UAL 328
(02-24-2021, 05:34 AM)727Sky Wrote:
Its always interesting to hear what pilots think, but some times I would like to hear what the service crews think. Pilots seem to often suffer from "God syndrome " in that they "know" everything. ( Please dont hit me  tinysurprised )
Pretty amazing engineering that it can lose an engine like that and still land safely. I know that is a building consideration but it's still pretty cool.
(02-24-2021, 01:06 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: Pretty amazing engineering that it can lose an engine like that and still land safely. I know that is a building consideration but it's still pretty cool.

I cant help but think, because its so safe they have lost the interest in keeping other parts at the supper high standards they need to be kept at.
I think its called "Safe Blindness"
Let me give a simplistic exsample.
If the fan blades brake the aircraft will crash and kill people, so we have to design the blades as best we can and keep upgrading the blades so they get better and better.
Now we have a cover that can stop any broken blade from leaving the engine so if one fails the aircraft is safe, so the money and new designs for blades start to take a back seat.
I have found the more back ups some thing has the poorer the design of the part the back ups protect is.
Human nature, saving money, 
Human nature, the people who design the fan blades no longer feel there work is so important because of the cover, they dont feel they are part of the "A" team so they move on to other things.
Saving money, Since we have the cover we can change the spects of the blades and save money and we can still say they are within spects.
Just because  a firm says the part they make is with in tolerances it does not mean its as safe as it could be, it means the part is as safe as we can make it wile making as much money as possible, and the main control factor is MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_lzeY23dI