Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Staircases in the Woods
There are stories we've heard about people disappearing in the woods; people walking into portals, and many high-strangeness occurrences. 
Have you ever come across stair steps in the woods that lead to nowhere? 

Be warned! 

Don't step on them, or walk to the top. Many people have stories about there being a portal at the top of the steps where people walk through never to return. 

[Image: 1*8pGv4aJLnVKipEWz2woSwQ.jpeg]

Quote:Found deep in the woods where no man has been known to ever live, you’ll find staircases- no other structure attached to them, just a staircase.
While some of the staircases are brick, others are wooden. While some staircases look to be in ruins, others are perfectly stable. Regardless, all of these staircases have one thing in common: they reach up into the canopy, extending seemingly to nowhere at all.
That is, at least, one some Redditors would have us believe.

Recently, I came across a Reddit thread dedicated to creepy happenings in national parks around the country. While this thread dated back to four years ago, I was intrigued by the stories that were being told there. This thread, packed with various stories and claims, led to an amount of particularly unusual folklore.

Reddit user after Reddit user claimed to have heard of these staircases. Some even claimed having seen them for themselves. Users reported that these staircases could be seen sometimes even as deep as 60 kilometers into the forest. While reports of the staircases started off being situated all over America, soon reports of staircases found in Germany, Brazil, Portugal, and the Philippines were posted.

The first Reddit user to tell their story of the mysterious staircases found deep in the woods was a user by the name of searchandrescuewoods, an American Redditor who claims to have been a member of a volunteer Search and Rescue unit. In their post, searchandrescuewoods tells a bit more about their experience encountering isolated staircases in national parks around the country, saying:

Quote:I don’t know if this is true in every SAR unit, but in mine, it’s sort of an unspoken, regular thing we run into. On just about every case where we’re really far into the wilderness, I’m talking 30 or 40 miles, at some point we’ll find a staircase in the middle of the woods. It’s almost like if you took the stairs in your house, cut them out, and put them in the forest.

Interestingly, the Reddit user reports that these encounters with isolated stairs seem to be nothing of much talk amongst the members of Search and Rescue units. Whether it is because they are simply that common or for more nefarious reasons, I can’t really be sure. Nonetheless, searchandrescuewoods goes on to say:

Quote:I asked about it the first time I saw some, and the other officer just told me not to worry about it, that it was normal. Everyone I asked said the same thing. I wanted to go check them out, but I was told, very emphatically, that I should never go near any of them. I just sort of ignore them now when I run into them because it happens so frequently.

While there are very few photos available of the mysterious isolated staircases online, Reddit user TK622 came across this set in a forest clearing in Germany which can be found in the image below.

[Image: 1*tWaxuubTttBAalZq02acTQ.jpeg]

Image Source: TK622 on Reddit

Searchandrescuewoods 
went on to explain that one SAR officer had even seen staircases that were “flipped upside down”. Other Redditors quickly chimed in with their own experiences. One Redditor, jeepdave stated that they were surprised that the stairs were actually so common, seeing their own experience as a weird, one-off occurrence that couldn’t really be explained. In his own post, jeepdave says:

Quote:I came across a set in rural West Virgina. I don’t think I was quite 40 miles deep but at least 10 or better. I thought maybe a house had once stood there but there was no cellar or other debris that would indicate a home was there before. Just a set of stairs with a base that went up maybe one flight — 16 so steps if I remember right. And sturdy. Could barely shake ’em. I didn’t climb up though. Worried it might break or fall over and I was alone.

Another user, known as taylorannshazam says that they encountered their own set of stairs in Michigan, writing:

Quote:An hour east of Iron Wood there is a clearing in the forest that has stairs. I was hiking and exploring with my cousins and we stumbled on a clearing about half a football field long. Had a few staircases but not against trees, just standing in the open. They looked like stairs from a normal suburban home. Kind of old though. The older cousin decided to investigate. He walked to the stairs to see how they were being held up, couldn’t find anything which weirded him out. He made us all leave. Grass didn’t grow near the stairs either.

While most of the stories found in the Reddit thread are centered in the United States, there came reports from a few Reddit users of stairs found in forests across the globe. Take German Redditor TK622 for example. Adding the image we looked at earlier into their post, the Reddit user is one of the few people to actually snap an image of the isolated staircases, writing:

Quote:I saw some stairs in the woods a few years ago. Didn’t know what to think of them and took a picture. They were covered in moss, but had railing on one side.

While the stairs found in this Reddit user’s post aren’t quite as grandiose as some of the staircases imagined from other people’s stories, they still seem oddly out of place. Just looking at them gives you an eerie feeling that you can’t quite explain. Just imagine coming across a set of metal stairs in the middle of the woods- surrounded by trees, leading to nowhere. It’s enough to make you wonder why they’re there and, even more so, who put them there.

Norweigian Redditor, Holyshitspace, sums up how I feel about these odd, isolated stairs popping up in national forests around the globe. In their own story, they explain that they came across their own set of stairs in the woods and it led to nothing but eerie feelings that they couldn’t quite explain, saying:

Quote:I made an account just to post this comment. A few months back, while visiting gramps in Lillesand (southern Norway), we went hiking. Nothing big, just a walk and a picnic in some woods. With us were my niece and nephew, who are both quite young, so I joined them in Hide and Seek while the proper grown-ups had coffee and whatnot.
Me and my nephew were first to hide, but we split up, and I ran alone quite a ways into a thicket of woods. And I found a staircase. Nothing remarkable, riddled with moss, and made from what looked like really old concrete with large pebbles of rocks in it. It didn’t really seem out of place at the time, but thinking back… Anyway, I decided it was fit for a hiding place, but after only a few seconds of squatting behind it, I got up, and stepped back.
I couldn’t shake the feeling that I really shouldn’t be anywhere near it. I suddenly had this feeling of being severely unwelcome, and that I should get as far away from it as possible. So I ran to my family and didn’t look back at it. Thinking about it now it still gives me the same sort of… I don’t know, twisted, wrong feeling.
So, why are these staircases out in the middle of nowhere, and why does everyone get a creepy vibe from them?

Some say they are just the remains of long lost settlements, while others hypothesize that the steps are used in rituals and a witch stands on the top steps to speak.  Still others think the steps lead to a portal to another dimension. 

Probably all just stories that someone came up with to keep their children from wondering too far into the woods alone, but then, what if they're true?  
What do you believe?

I urge you to check out these other personal stories as well. Certainly makes you wonder.   minusculethinking

Quote:https://travelila.com/stairs-in-the-woods/
@"Mystic Wanderer" 

I have an interesting tidbit for you that involves stairs in the woods... and a huge black cat!

Back when the two oldest girls were extremely young (3 and 5 years old) we decided to take the trail through the woods behind us to go to the nearest convenience store for some much needed goodies. It was a nice day and it wasn't a terribly far walk. As we're walking down the trail we hear a loud "Meow" so we start looking around us for a cat. I started looking through the trees and bushes and saw a set of stairs. Now mind you, there used to be a house back there when I was a very young girl and a girl in my Campfire Girls troop lived there. The house had burned completely to the ground when we were still in elementary school and over time there were no traces of the house except for a few old concrete foundation blocks. Where the house once stood there was nothing but trees, vines, bushes and weeds and we had taken the trail through there many times without ever seeing any stairs but as I looked through the foliage there they were! 

This is where it gets REALLY weird: So I'm standing there looking at these stairs but before I really thought much about them a huge solid black cat with bright yellow eyes steps out of the bushes around the stairs and meows at us. The kids wanted to pet it but I said that we don't know that cat, it's probably someone's pet. The girls were sad but we went on and continued walking through the woods until we came out behind the store. Not only did the cat follow us to the store but he waited for us in front of the door and followed us all the way home and into the house! 

This cat was really strange! He would jump up on my dresser and stare into his own eyes in the mirror for hours at a time. He would come pull on my socks and meow just before someone would show up knocking at the door. Just crazy stuff! Anyway, he lived with us for about six months and then one day he was gone- just decided it was time to go I guess, though nobody knew how he had gotten out of the house.

I never saw the stairs or the cat again even though I looked for them every time we took the "bunny trail" to the store. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to that cat.
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(01-29-2021, 03:04 AM)GeauxHomeLittleD Wrote: @"Mystic Wanderer" 

I have an interesting tidbit for you that involves stairs in the woods... and a huge black cat!

Back when the two oldest girls were extremely young (3 and 5 years old) we decided to take the trail through the woods behind us to go to the nearest convenience store for some much needed goodies. It was a nice day and it wasn't a terribly far walk. As we're walking down the trail we hear a loud "Meow" so we start looking around us for a cat. I started looking through the trees and bushes and saw a set of stairs. Now mind you, there used to be a house back there when I was a very young girl and a girl in my Campfire Girls troop lived there. The house had burned completely to the ground when we were still in elementary school and over time there were no traces of the house except for a few old concrete foundation blocks. Where the house once stood there was nothing but trees, vines, bushes and weeds and we had taken the trail through there many times without ever seeing any stairs but as I looked through the foliage there they were! 

This is where it gets REALLY weird: So I'm standing there looking at these stairs but before I really thought much about them a huge solid black cat with bright yellow eyes steps out of the bushes around the stairs and meows at us. The kids wanted to pet it but I said that we don't know that cat, it's probably someone's pet. The girls were sad but we went on and continued walking through the woods until we came out behind the store. Not only did the cat follow us to the store but he waited for us in front of the door and followed us all the way home and into the house! 

This cat was really strange! He would jump up on my dresser and stare into his own eyes in the mirror for hours at a time. He would come pull on my socks and meow just before someone would show up knocking at the door. Just crazy stuff! Anyway, he lived with us for about six months and then one day he was gone- just decided it was time to go I guess, though nobody knew how he had gotten out of the house.

I never saw the stairs or the cat again even though I looked for them every time we took the "bunny trail" to the store. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to that cat.

Very Odd... all the way around.   

Thanks for the story.    minusculebeercheers
If I didn't have kids I'd skip my ass right up those steps.  50/50 I'd end up in paradise or hell, but either way, it would be new and exciting!
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
One thing about Germany.

The woods there are intensively managed and have a surprising amount of infrastructure within them.

Here are some "stairs" in a German forest:

[Image: huert040018.jpg]

Part of bunker ruins in the Huertgen Forest.

Wandering the woods in Germany over the years, I saw plenty of evidence of Pagan rituals.  Some of the items were cool, seeing them in situ made me feel like a bit-league anthropologist!

BTW, I see plenty of empty alcohol bottles in the woods.  But I don't think it is evidence of anything paranormal. tinylaughing

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Interesting, never seen any of these. 

But I know damn well that I'd walk up them, because that's just who I am. Smart, but ultimately too curious. Like a cat I guess.
Very interesting in the context of Missing 411!
(01-29-2021, 07:37 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: BTW, I see plenty of empty alcohol bottles in the woods.  But I don't think it is evidence of anything paranormal. tinylaughing

Cheers

Hey man, maybe ghosties and ghoulies like to get their buzz on too!  minusculebeercheers  
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]