Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
“Christmas Star” of 2020
December 21, 2020, will bring us a cosmic event that hasn't happened since 1623, but it couldn't be easily observed because they were facing the sun. The last time this happened where it could be seen was almost 800 years ago, during the great conjunction of 1226! 

Wow! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow just before sunset. Seeing this is a "once-in-several-lifetime's" event!

If you can see it, please take pictures in case it's too cloudy for the rest of us to capture the event.

Quote:The year 2020 will end with a special astronomical event: the closest great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn in 397 years. On December 21, the two planets will almost touch in the sky.

Night Sky Map: find Saturn and Jupiter in the sky

What Is a Conjunction?

Generally speaking, a conjunction is when two objects appear close to each other in the sky. A conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn—which only happens about once every 20 years—is called a great conjunction.

In the technical language of astronomers, there are a number of ways to define a conjunction. One way is to say it is the moment of minimum separation between two objects as viewed from the Earth. By this definition, the 2020 great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn will occur at about 18:20 UTC on December 21Convert to your time zone

What Can We See, and When Can We See It?

Since September 2020, Jupiter has been moving closer and closer to Saturn in the early evening sky. Wherever you are in the world—even in light-polluted urban environments—the two planets are an impressive sight, and easy to find after sunset. If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, look toward the southwest. If you're in the Southern Hemisphere, look toward the west. Jupiter is the brighter of the pair.

As November begins, Jupiter and Saturn are five degrees apart, which is the width of your three middle fingers held at arm's length. (Another way to think about angular distances in the sky is to remember that the Moon's size is about half a degree.) At the start of December, the planets will be two degrees apart, and still moving closer together.

A handy guide to measuring the sky

A few days before December 21, a thin Crescent Moon will pass close to Jupiter and Saturn in the sky. In the Western Hemisphere, the Moon will be closest to the two planets on December 16. In the Eastern Hemisphere, it will be closest on December 17.
[Image: 2020-12-16-new-york.jpg?1]

On December 16 and 17, Jupiter and Saturn will be joined by a thin Crescent Moon. This is our Night Sky Map for New York City on December 16, about 45 minutes after sunset.

Just 0.1 Degrees Apart on December 21
On December 21, the day of the conjunction, Jupiter and Saturn will be separated by a mere 0.1 degrees, and may appear as a single bright “star.” The two planets are completely merged together on our Night Sky Map for this date, although a careful observer should be able to separate them in the sky with the naked eye.
The pair of planets will become visible at twilight, close to the southwestern horizon in the Northern Hemisphere, or the western horizon in the Southern Hemisphere. They will set within a couple of hours or so, so it is important to have a clear view toward the horizon.

Jupiter and Saturn will continue to be an impressive sight in the early evenings following December 21. During January 2021, however, the two planets will become lost in the glare of the Sun.
“Christmas Star” of 2020
As Jupiter and Saturn will rendezvous just a few days before Christmas, forming what will look like a single bright object in the sky, the 2020 great conjunction is sometimes also called the “Christmas star” or “Bethlehem star.”
In fact, some scholars have theorized that the original Christmas star, known as the Star of Bethlehem, might also have been a great conjunction. According to Christian lore, a bright light in the sky led the Three Wise Men to the location of Jesus's birth. Other theories aiming to explain this biblical phenomenon include a supernova explosion and a comet.
Some media outlets have also referred to the phenomenon as “kissing stars” or “double planets.”

Closest Great Conjunction since 1623

The December 21, 2020 conjunction will be the closest great conjunction since July 16, 1623. At the great conjunction of 1623, Jupiter and Saturn were slightly less than 0.1 degrees apart. However, this event would have been difficult—although not impossible—to observe since the two planets were near the Sun.
The last time that the two planets were easily observable when separated by less than 0.1 degrees was almost 800 years ago, during the great conjunction of 1226.

Read More: Source
I’ve been looking forward to this. I’ve been watching them get closer each night. So far it looks like it will be a clear sky here. I can hardly wait to get outside with my telescope and have a peek.
(12-20-2020, 10:18 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I’ve been looking forward to this. I’ve been watching them get closer each night. So far it looks like it will be a clear sky here. I can hardly wait to get outside with my telescope and have a peek.

@"VioletDove", I ordered one of those little telescopes that attach to your phone. I was hoping it would be here for this event, but unless it comes tomorrow, I only have the zoom feature on my camera.
Our forecast is calling for cloudy skies, so I may not get any pictures anyway.   tinycrying Happens every time there's a major event I want to see up there!

PLEASE, take some pictures to share with us here.
(12-20-2020, 10:44 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 10:18 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I’ve been looking forward to this. I’ve been watching them get closer each night. So far it looks like it will be a clear sky here. I can hardly wait to get outside with my telescope and have a peek.

@"VioletDove", I ordered one of those little telescopes that attach to your phone. I was hoping it would be here for this event, but unless it comes tomorrow, I only have the zoom feature on my camera.
Our forecast is calling for cloudy skies, so I may not get any pictures anyway.   tinycrying Happens every time there's a major event I want to see up there!

PLEASE, take some pictures to share with us here.
I hope the skies clear enough for you to see.

I will share any pictures I get. I hope they turn out. I never did get that camera attachment ordered but I found how to make a homemade one on youtube. I’ve been working on it today. Hopefully it’ll work well enough. Wish me luck!
I'll not be able to see it here, clouds or no. Ridges too high, I'm too deep into the holler. The mountain to my west will block it out from sight.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Cloudy here. Going to keep an eye out though. Will share this song as this reminds me of this alignment.

I'm pretty pissed as it's cloudy here.  Fucking weather, I feel like each meteor shower over the past few years has been ruined by clouds.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(12-22-2020, 12:17 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm pretty pissed as it's cloudy here.  Fucking weather, I feel like each meteor shower over the past few years has been ruined by clouds.

It is beautiful and very easy to see in South Florida where I am.

I am happy to have had the experience. 

I am hoping that many others will have this once in a lifetime experience that will be shared around the world.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

I lucked up and got a picture. Didn't even have to leave my driveway.  I'm very happy!   smallgreenbananadancer 

I also caught a lot of the neighbor's houses, so I don't want to share.  I'm sure there will be better pictures on the internet anyway.
(12-22-2020, 12:57 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 12:17 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I'm pretty pissed as it's cloudy here.  Fucking weather, I feel like each meteor shower over the past few years has been ruined by clouds.

I am hoping that many others will have this once in a lifetime experience that will be shared around the world.

Well I'm glad some got to see it.  If the article I read had any merit, it's a once-in-7-lifetimes experience.  Oh well, I'll have to wait for it to be cloudy yet again I'm sure for the Perseids and Leonids showers.
I see one can watch it live. I am as it is cloudy here. Here is one of many links.

https://www.space.com/great-conjunction-...n-webcasts
(12-22-2020, 01:14 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 12:57 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

Well I'm glad some got to see it.  If the article I read had any merit, it's a once-in-7-lifetimes experience.  Oh well, I'll have to wait for it to be cloudy yet again I'm sure for the Perseids and Leonids showers.

@"Schmoe1" it has been visible since the 17th, just not "perfectly" aligned with Saturn. It will still be there tomorrow night and several nights thereafter. Maybe you can still see it.   tinybiggrin
(12-22-2020, 01:14 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Well I'm glad some got to see it.  If the article I read had any merit, it's a once-in-7-lifetimes experience.  Oh well, I'll have to wait for it to be cloudy yet again I'm sure for the Perseids and Leonids showers.

Was sent these from a coworker. 

[Image: IMG-4570.jpg]

• minusculebeercheers 

(12-22-2020, 01:32 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 01:14 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Well I'm glad some got to see it.  If the article I read had any merit, it's a once-in-7-lifetimes experience.  Oh well, I'll have to wait for it to be cloudy yet again I'm sure for the Perseids and Leonids showers.

Good catch. He/she must have caught it from a different angle than me. From my point of view Saturn was almost directly behind Jupiter.  It looked like one BIG "star". Thus why it was named the Star of Bethlehem.
(12-22-2020, 01:36 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:

Good catch. He/she must have caught it from a different angle than me. From my point of view Saturn was almost directly behind Jupiter.  It looked like one BIG "star". Thus why it was named the Star of Bethlehem.

Yup I've been seeing that formation for a few days, I was under the impression they would be pretty much "on top of one another" or damn near, when the alignment happened.  Still cool to see though, based on rarity alone.  I'll still take a good meteor shower any day of the week.
These aren’t the best but I was happy to get something. My husband helped me finish making my camera attachment then he took the first picture. I took the second one using the 25mm lens. We couldn’t get much out of the 10mm.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8835]            

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8833]

Nice shot! You can see all f of the Galilean satellites of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn in it!
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

It looks like it was taken through a telescope, which magnified the gap etween the two planets beyond what you can see with just your eyes or an unmagnified camera.

(12-22-2020, 02:38 AM)VioletDove Wrote: These aren’t the best but I was happy to get something. My husband helped me finish making my camera attachment then he took the first picture. I took the second one using the 25mm lens. We couldn’t get much out of the 10mm.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8835]            

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8833]

Still you got some good shots.

My camera is so cheap I just get two white dots.

I could have tried my work camera, but it is set up for close ups, and I don't like changing the settings too much, as I am not a good photographer.

• minusculebeercheers 

(12-22-2020, 02:46 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

It looks like it was taken through a telescope, which magnified the gap etween the two planets beyond what you can see with just your eyes or an unmagnified camera.

Could be. My coworker's husband is a photographer with the crime lab, so I am sure it is professional work. 

It surely is professional compared to anything I was able to capture.

• minusculebeercheers