Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Think Our Hawk Has Lost Its Mate
I noticed her flying back and forth across the homestead, early this morning, screeching, agitated. I don't normally see them so early in the morning, but they hang close, and they always hang with me when I mow, hoping I will send a mouse, snake, or mole, their way.

I had business away from home so I was gone the whole day. As soon as I started up the drive, I saw her. Still flying to and fro, agitated and screeching.

I haven't seen him, so I am praying that she has not lost her mate.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(11-30-2020, 10:41 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I noticed her flying back and forth across the homestead, early this morning, screeching, agitated. I don't normally see them so early in the morning, but they hang close, and they always hang with me when I mow, hoping I will send a mouse, snake, or mole, their way.

I had business away from home so I was gone the whole day. As soon as I started up the drive, I saw her. Still flying to and fro, agitated and screeching.

I really hope he's okay.
I hope everything turns out ok.
Humans are strange, here they write how they hope the hawks mate is safe and well, but not a single person thinks about all the other animals mates and children the hawks have killed and ripped apart.
See how easy it is to be ok with killing the "others".
(12-01-2020, 02:38 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Humans are strange, here they write how they hope the hawks mate is safe and well, but not a single person thinks about all the other animals mates and children the hawks have killed and ripped apart.

If we did that we would have to point the finger at ourselves, since we kill more animals on this planet than any other animal and we don't always do it because we have to.

We kill for pleasure, for sport, and most of all for money. The amount of waste we have in the animals we kill yearly would feed a while nation.

So anytime a person has a moment of compassion for any living thing, I think it is a sign of hope.

I haven't seen the female or the male today,  but I was greeted with buzzards riding the thermals in the skies above my head, and a single huge one sitting in a tree close by.

• minusculebeercheers 

(12-01-2020, 02:50 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 02:38 PM)Wallfire Wrote: Humans are strange, here they write how they hope the hawks mate is safe and well, but not a single person thinks about all the other animals mates and children the hawks have killed and ripped apart.

If we did that we would have to point the finger at ourselves, since we kill more animals on this planet than any other animal and we don't always do it because we have to.

We kill for pleasure, for sport, and most of all for money. The amount of waste we have in the animals we kill yearly would feed a while nation.

So anytime a person has a moment of compassion for any living thing, I think it is a sign of hope.

I haven't seen the female or the male today,  but I was greeted with buzzards riding the thermals in the skies above my head, and a single huge one sitting in a tree close by.
You are trying to justified because you dont or cant see the truth or point of what I wrote.
(12-01-2020, 02:53 PM)Wallfire Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 02:50 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:

You are trying to justified because you dont or cant see the truth or point of what I wrote.

You are wrong. I agreed with you.

My post was not an excuse, it was an observation.

• minusculebeercheers 

(11-30-2020, 10:41 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I noticed her flying back and forth across the homestead, early this morning, screeching, agitated. I don't normally see them so early in the morning, but they hang close, and they always hang with me when I mow, hoping I will send a mouse, snake, or mole, their way.

Any sign of him?
(12-02-2020, 05:25 PM)drussell41 Wrote:

Any sign of him?

I have not seen him. I saw her this morning and she did not seem her usual self, but I was in a hurry so I didn't get the chance to watch her for very long.

Will look for her when I get home.

• minusculebeercheers 

(12-02-2020, 05:30 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 05:25 PM)drussell41 Wrote:

Any sign of him?

I have not seen him. I saw her this morning and she did not seem her usual self, but I was in a hurry so I didn't get the chance to watch her for very long.

Will look for her when I get home.

:(
He's Back!!!!!

I have to go out again, but so saw the two dancing just a few seconds ago! 

Maybe he just went off on an accidental drunk.

• minusculebeercheers 

(12-02-2020, 10:36 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: He's Back!!!!!

Outstanding!!! Great news  tinybiggrin
(12-02-2020, 10:36 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: He's Back!!!!!

Hooray!   minusculebeercheers
Great! Best news for a little while tinyinbiglove 

Hawks are stylish.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(12-03-2020, 11:58 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: Great! Best news for a little while tinyinbiglove 

Hawks are stylish.

They have been around for quite a while, and they have had several broods over those years. But I also have a bald eagle that calls my woods home, and an Anhinga that that I watched walk across my neighbor's yard, all the way across mine, with four Huskies looking at it like supper, and he walked right up one of my low hanging trees and made my pond its home for about four months. 

I named it Snape. He, that turned our to be a she, had a busted wing and would dive out the tree every morning around 8am, then hunt and rest until about 5pm, then he/she ,would walk back up into the tree and nest down for the night. 

I found out Snape was a she after she returned several months after leaving after healing, and made a nest. She had two baby Anhingas that called the pond home, until they became wandering teens. I have not seen them for a while.

I will be out mowing the field later today,  so I am sure the eagle and the hawks will be keeping me company. I hope the rabbits aren't out in the field today.

• minusculebeercheers 

Mowed the front field today. Boy was that a challenge. Grass was so high, it was above the deck.

The hawks, nor the eagle hung with me today. I missed them.  Did not see any rabbits or any other small critters, so I guess it was just too darn cold for them.

I got the front field done, half of one side, and one side of the pond. I only have one more side field, and the other side of the pond, and if the weather stays cold, I will be able to keep it managed until next summer, and the rainy season. 

Getting too old for this crap.

• minusculebeercheers 

@"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

Sounds like you live in paradise tinycool 

But yeah, i am sure it takes some hard work also to maintain surroundings in good order.

I love nature. Animals, plants, rivers, the whole package.

I am writing this to you from inside a concrete box which does not even feel like home. It is just some place, and i pay money every month, and they let me stay here then.

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(12-04-2020, 07:08 AM)Finspiracy Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

Sounds like you live in paradise tinycool 

But yeah, i am sure it takes some hard work also to maintain surroundings in good order.

I love nature. Animals, plants, rivers, the whole package.

I am writing this to you from inside a concrete box which does not even feel like home. It is just some place, and i pay money every month, and they let me stay here then.

That is what visitors call it. Us folks that live out here call it the woods, sometimes God's country, but most of the time we call it hard work.  tinylaughing

The one thing that folks that don't live in the country don't realize, is how much work goes into country living.

And nature, she is a fierce landlord. She will take her land back in the blink of an eye.

• minusculebeercheers 

(12-04-2020, 12:58 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: And nature, she is a fierce landlord. She will take her land back in the blink of an eye.

Yeppaah... Seems like she is doing it right now... See the conspiracy theorist in me?

I am surrounded by at least one hundred humans right now. All in their own concrete boxes. Same people for years and years. No one knows each others first name...

I was trying to make a point but i lost it minusculebeercheers

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(12-04-2020, 02:09 PM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 12:58 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: And nature, she is a fierce landlord. She will take her land back in the blink of an eye.

Yeppaah... Seems like she is doing it right now... See the conspiracy theorist in me?

I am surrounded by at least one hundred humans right now. All in their own concrete boxes. Same people for years and years. No one knows each others first name...

I was trying to make a point but i lost it minusculebeercheers

That is why I left city living. After three years I came to the conclusion that high rise living was for ants and cockroaches. Three years is all I could take, I moved back to the country. 

But I was a country girl from birth. My city cousins love to visit, but they can't wait to get back to the street lights, transportation at the lift of thumb, and all the hustle and bustle. 

They have lived next to people for years, and don't know their names, and may have at least once or twice said, "Hi."

We live a nice walking distance from each other, will stop if you drive by a neighbor, and will have at least a 5 minute conversation, catching up on what is going on, and checking up on the grandchildren. It may be one of the reasons I am always late. 

The road has widened quite a bit, mostly from all the grading we have done over the 20 odd years I have been out here.  It started out as a cow pasture. It is now just a wider cow pasture, so you have to add another 20 minutes to drive time. Throw in having to stop and give a breif update to the neighbors, then you have to add the neccessary minutes it is going to get you anywhere.

I used to say I would never leave here, but those that say, "Never say never say never. ", are right.

The growth into the area, the building and establishment of a brand new city, that completely surrounds us, and is less than six miles away, is choking the life out of us. Right now we are just a tiny country outpost, completely surrounded, and an area of interest that draws the teens in like moths to a flame.

So I am likely to leave in about five years. I am thinking about a small cottage in the mountains. Even though my brother had the same thing happen to him. He sits at the very top of the mountain, and watched the landscape below him disappear, morphing into concrete and lights. So he sits at the top with all the animals that got displaced. 

Country living will soon only be found in the land of folklore.

• minusculebeercheers