Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
So you missed the windows 10 upgrade
If you missed the windows 10 free upgrade here is a little secret you can use and still upgrade for free.

I'm happy I won't have to deal with those annoying updates anymore, but I'm keeping this one bookmarked, just in case I should ever change my mind.   tinybiggrin
(08-03-2016, 09:11 AM)727Sky Wrote: If you missed the windows 10 free upgrade here is a little secret you can use and still upgrade for free.

Thanks Sky,,, My husband up load all six with win 10.
Windows 10 hated my Chinese programs, So this computer has a 3 Terabyte hard drive, He partitioned it, Half win 7 and half win 10.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
I "missed" the Win10 "upgrade" on purpose. I will not be migrating any of my machines to Win10.

When I installed Win7 on this netbook, the very first automatic update installed that blasted stealthware/hostageware "Get Windows 10" nag program, so I wiped the drive and re-installed Win7, and turned off the update function.

One of the annoying aspects of Win10 is that you CAN NOT turn off the update function, M$ owns all Win10 computers, regardless of who actually paid for them or who THINKS they own them, and can change your software, delete or install new software, without any notice at all. THEY own your Win10 computer, not YOU. There have already been cases of a Win10 "update" that has removed software from client computers without notice, and disallowed it's re-installation.

The very least problem with Win10 is the start button - they brought it back by popular demand, but not really. Now it's  just an electronic billboard that you can't get away from the advertising on. Unlike the ill-considered Win8 "Start screen" that you COULD get away from, Win10 has migrated it to the Start button so there is no escape, and loaded it down with ads.

Unless M$ returns ownership of client computers to the people who actually paid for them, I will not be updating any M$ products beyond Win7. I've installed this bitty little netbook as a dual-boot system with Linux (Zorin OS flavor) so I can get more used to Linux and eventually just migrate away from M$ altogether.

I don't like Windows that have bars on them.

I wonder if it's safe to turn on the update function again now that M$ has ran through it's "free" update period, but I seriously doubt it, so I'm not going to. If MS wants to own MY computer, they can pay ME to operate it, not the other way around.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

BTW, China apparently feels the same way I do. Because of M$ spying through Windows, they have developed a Chinese flavor of Linux called "Red Flag Linux" that, last I heard, was mandatory on all Chinese government computers instead of Windows. It can be had in both Chinese and English.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - it's a goddamned shame when practically the only people on the planet still fighting for My freedom are the Chinese, Russians, and Iranians.

Lo, how the mighty have fallen!
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-15-2016, 02:20 PM)Ninurta Wrote: BTW, China apparently feels the same way I do. Because of M$ spying through Windows, they have developed a Chinese flavor of Linux called "Red Flag Linux" that, last I heard, was mandatory on all Chinese government computers instead of Windows. It can be had in both Chinese and English.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - it's a goddamned shame when practically the only people on the planet still fighting for My freedom are the Chinese, Russians, and Iranians.

It is you're right.
Just wish it's work with all of Ricks Special Programs.
(08-15-2016, 02:51 PM)guohua Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 02:20 PM)Ninurta Wrote: BTW, China apparently feels the same way I do. Because of M$ spying through Windows, they have developed a Chinese flavor of Linux called "Red Flag Linux" that, last I heard, was mandatory on all Chinese government computers instead of Windows. It can be had in both Chinese and English.

It is you're right.

That's what has prevented me from going all the way Linux at the moment - not all of the programs I use have Linux flavors or are compatible with Wine. Mostly the problem ones are my landscape generation programs, but as time goes on that will become moot, since now even for Windows they are only available in 64 bit, and this machine is 32 bit.

For encryption, VeraCrypt is the best thing going at the moment, shames government grade encryption, and has a Linux variant that can read files created under the Windows variant - making it truly cross-platform between Windows, Linux, and even Mac OS. For Office type applications there is Open Office which replaces Microsoft Office, and in my opinion does an even better job. It's what i used to created "the Hoax Heard Round the World" and convert it to PDF format for distribution.

For torrents, DVD/CD mastering and burning, video and audio mastering and creation, photo manipulations (think "Photoshop"), and a lot of other things, there are now native Linux applications. Several off those come already packed in Zorin OS, which as an added bonus has a Windows 7 - like interface to facilitate getting acclimated to it.

At work, almost all of the programs we use are either web-based (run through the browser) or Java, which will cross over to Linux nicely. There are a couple that are Windows based, and until they can be replaced or ported over to Linux, they are problematic. One potential solution is to run them inside a Windows virtual machine installed to the Linux operating system, but that is a stop-gap measure at best, as it presents all of the problems with security that a native Windows install does as far as Windows 8 or 10 goes.

Um hi, still running with Vista here ......when the time comes, will upgrade to Win 7 once they stop doing updates and affecting my computer.
Definitely staying away from Win 10 as long as I can tho.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(08-15-2016, 09:36 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 02:51 PM)guohua Wrote:

It is you're right.

That's what has prevented me from going all the way Linux at the moment - not all of the programs I use have Linux flavors or are compatible with Wine. Mostly the problem ones are my landscape generation programs, but as time goes on that will become moot, since now even for Windows they are only available in 64 bit, and this machine is 32 bit.

For encryption, VeraCrypt is the best thing going at the moment, shames government grade encryption, and has a Linux variant that can read files created under the Windows variant - making it truly cross-platform between Windows, Linux, and even Mac OS. For Office type applications there is Open Office which replaces Microsoft Office, and in my opinion does an even better job. It's what i used to created "the Hoax Heard Round the World" and convert it to PDF format for distribution.

For torrents, DVD/CD mastering and burning, video and audio mastering and creation, photo manipulations (think "Photoshop"), and a lot of other things, there are now native Linux applications. Several off those come already packed in Zorin OS, which as an added bonus has a Windows 7 - like interface to facilitate getting acclimated to it.

At work, almost all of the programs we use are either web-based (run through the browser) or Java, which will cross over to Linux nicely. There are a couple that are Windows based, and until they can be replaced or ported over to Linux, they are problematic. One potential solution is to run them inside a Windows virtual machine installed to the Linux operating system, but that is a stop-gap measure at best, as it presents all of the problems with security that a native Windows install does as far as Windows 8 or 10 goes.
If you want to crack the codes of a store bought DVD movie to copy correctly, try a free program Called DVD43 here is a : Link
Since it's free it's not the Best for the Best Code Cracker with Updates for new codes, try : Link
Illegal to sell this program in America but you can buy it online from the UK. 
Now you can actually copy that new DVD movie. 

Actually, windows 10 has been good, faster than any other version of windows except maybe win 98.
MS-DOS os still faster but the only version we still have a running is 6.22 with CD capabilities.
If you're interested you may still find the download here: Link  (according to Mr.G's Notes)

If you only need a Boot Disk Mr.G. says to go here and he thinks the site is still working. Link  or try Link.

I hope that we've help.
guohua
I always struggle when it comes to computers... but I know where the 'On' switch is.
tinyfunny
This laptop comes with a camera above the screen, but now sports a nice piece of
black electrical-tape over it, after advice from my son. He assured me that having a
device that allows other parties to access your home, your emails and any folders
of information, is not the best way to protect oneself from invasive visitors.

Which reminds me of another post I put on here about cable television.
In it, I said that the Engineer installing the network told me that it wasn't just about
giving the homeowner access to a multitude of channels, it was about connecting
the house to a conduit where information could pass back and forth.

Families come and go, and some may use the cable network or even acquire a
dish for satellite-based television and broadband use, but the theme remains the same.
You're allowing a system into your home and with it, some who will make use of the
habits that the home dweller has.
Year after year, after year.

I have no idea if this laptop can listen, but I know it could see until I made it as 
sightless as Boy In A Dress. But I'm sure certain parties out there can read.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Quote:This laptop comes with a camera above the screen, but now sports a nice piece of black electrical-tape over it, after advice from my son.

Cool, we have matching webcam covers!  minusculebiggrin
Electrical tape comes in handy for many things

Hey now, even Mark Zuckerface was caught having tape over his webcam as well,  plus paper/tape over his microphone or audio  outlet, not sure which one.
But viewers noticed that right off the bat when they saw the image.

So he must know  something tinycool

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(08-16-2016, 09:41 AM)senona Wrote: Hey now, even Mark Zuckerface was caught having tape over his webcam as well,  plus paper/tape
over his microphone or audio  outlet, not sure which one.
But viewers noticed that right off the bat when they saw the image.

So he must know  something tinycool

That's it... get the tape!
*BIAD disappears into his shed and returns with a sliver of audio-tape that's
purported to be the 18 1/2 minute missing 'gap' on the Nixon's Watergate tapes*
In my wicked and mis-spent youth - well, I was younger than I am now, anyhow - I used to break into computers around the world. I was not doing it for fun, but it could get pretty funny sometimes. I used specialized programs for maximum effect, and at that time I could ransack a hard drive and sift it for interesting nuggets of intel... but I could do so much more. I could turn on your web cam (they had no built-in webcams in those days, and it has gotten so much more dangerous now that nearly everything has a camera in it), I could turn on your mic and listen to the room, I could even do silly stuff like pop your CD tray out. I could take a screen-shot of your screen, and anywhere I clicked on it, it would click on YOUR computer right then. It came in handy for running programs the target didn't want running at that moment, and things like that.

I could even delete your entire operating system while it was running, make "Adios!" scroll across your screen, and then turn the computer off remotely... meaning that, since it had no operating system any more, it would not boot back up when the target tried to re-start it. That came in handy for knocking certain miscreants off the internet for some time, and ruining their best laid plans of world domination and what not.

I stopped doing that sort of thing years ago, but if I could do it then, I shudder to think what could be done now, with a computer, a tablet, a cell phone, a net book... anything that has all the intrusion hardware a spook's little black heart could desire built right in these days.

Yes, it's wise to cover the built-in webcam at the very least, or, better yet, pop the bezel off the screen of a laptop and physically cut the wires going to it. Mine sports a band-aid over it, because electrical tape is just too high tech for me. Covering the microphone (yes, all laptops have one now) only muffles it, and does not eliminate the sound. To eliminate 'puter eaves-droppers altogether requires opening the case and physically cutting the wires to the mic.Maybe a bitty gob of play-dough in the mic might do it. I dunno, I've not tried it.

Can't disconnect the mic on a cell phone, though, or it ceases to be a cell phone for two-way communication.

Note: Actually, I use a band-aid over the lens because if I ever find a use for the cam, I won't have to clean sticky gunk off the lens, because the pad part of the band-aid goes over the lens instead of the sticky part.

(08-17-2016, 01:48 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Note: Actually, I use a band-aid over the lens because if I ever find a use for the cam, I won't have to clean sticky gunk off the lens, because the pad part of the band-aid goes over the lens instead of the sticky part.

That is where WD-40 comes in handy!
Great at removing the unwanted sticky gunk off webcam lens when we remove our protective force shield. minusculebiggrin

[Image: wd40-hero.jpg]

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Scary, to the say the least!

'The FBI is reportedly investigating alleged Webcam spying on students
at Harriton High School near Philadelphia, but one junior from the school
says he's not all that concerned.

Students at Harriton High School in Lower Merion School District near
Philadelphia are given Apple MacBook laptops to use both at school
and at home.

Like all MacBooks, the ones issued to the students have a Webcam.
And, in addition to the students' ability to use the Webcam to take
pictures or video, the school district can also use it to take photographs
of whomever is using the computer...'
SOURCE:
(08-17-2016, 03:47 AM)senona Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 01:48 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Note: Actually, I use a band-aid over the lens because if I ever find a use for the cam, I won't have to clean sticky gunk off the lens, because the pad part of the band-aid goes over the lens instead of the sticky part.

That is where WD-40 comes in handy!
Great at removing the unwanted sticky gunk off webcam lens when we remove our protective force shield. minusculebiggrin

[Image: wd40-hero.jpg]

I found that Alcohol works good for sticky stuff and then when the lens is clean,,, I show them what to expect if they're Brave Enough!
[Image: tumblr_mywmqkHR3g1r0320so2_500.gif][Image: 143129281_ef8eb2e704_z.jpg?zz=1]