Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This is weird. Marbled crayfish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbled_crayfish

Apparently quite a problem in a cemetery in Belgium.

They don't need a partner to reproduce, and all members of the species are female.

[Image: 640px-Procamburus-sp-a1.jpg]

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

They're a problem in a cemetery?  Don't these things live in water?

Sounds like the cemetery has bigger problems than crayfish.   tinyhuh
(10-24-2020, 05:51 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: They're a problem in a cemetery?  Don't these things live in water?

Per a Telegraph article,

Quote:The crayfish have taken root in the pools and streams of the Schoonselhof cemetery in Antwerp, which is known as the Flemish city’s Pere Lachaise.

minusculebiggrin

Cheers

I read on the wiki page that they are illegal in the US states of Tennessee, Michigan, and Missouri, but apparently not in Virginia. So, hypothetically, I could buy one, just one, and keep it in a tank here in VA, wait for it to reproduce itself until the tank was crowded, then take the tank down and dump it off my bridge into the creek. This creek flows into another, bigger creek, which flows into the Clinch River, which flows through Tennessee into the Tennessee River, which flows into the Mississippi, which then has branches into every US state east of the Rockies and west of the Appalachians...

I have the potential to wreak havoc and break laws in a bunch of places!

Story of my life...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(10-24-2020, 05:51 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: They're a problem in a cemetery?  Don't these things live in water?

When I lived in the suburbs of Detroit, I grew up in a neighborhood that had been a swamp at one time. There was a small field near the house that had some low areas and pits that kids dug for underground forts that filled with water.

These low spots flooded in the spring long enough to allow the crayfish to reproduce. Then by summer when the pools evaporated, the crayfish dug tunnels and capped them off with mud and lived below the waterline. The field was covered with those crayfish holes in early summer. Interestingly enough, the field was just big enough to support a large population of garter snakes that relied on the pits and crayfish holes to hibernate in during winter.

When I was really young that field had breeding toads, crayfish, garter snakes and these huge horse leeches in the wet areas. It was about a 1/4 mile long and about three or four city lots wide. There were other larger lots near there as well, it was like it in those lots too. This was in the 70's, it's totally built up now except for some larger private lots that are still there.

So I can see how crayfish could live on a large city lot, in a low spot on a lawn that floods in the spring long enough to reproduce before they burrow under for the rest of the year. They don't need a constantly flowing year round water source if the water table is high enough.
Crayfish Gumbo
Serves 8
Ingredients
⅓ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped white onion
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup chopped celery
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups water
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
2 cups sliced fresh okra
2 (16-ounce) packages cooked crawfish tails, undrained
Hot cooked rice (for serving)
Garnish: chopped parsley and sliced green onion
Instructions
In a large Dutch oven, add oil, and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add flour, and whisk until combined. Lower heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring, until a dark chocolate roux forms, 30 to 40 minutes.
Add onion, bell peppers, and celery, and cook, stirring, until onions are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 8 cups water, Cajun seasoning, and tomato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
Stir in shrimp, okra, and crawfish. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley and green onion, if desired
internet Agent Provocateur
(10-26-2020, 07:11 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Crayfish Gumbo
Serves 8
Ingredients
⅓ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped celery
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups water
2 cups sliced fresh okra
Instructions
In a large Dutch oven, add oil, and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add flour, and whisk until combined. Lower heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring, until a dark chocolate roux forms, 30 to 40 minutes.
Add onion, bell peppers, and celery, and cook, stirring, until onions are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 8 cups water, Cajun seasoning, and tomato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
Stir in shrimp, okra, and crawfish. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley and green onion, if desired

That's fancy. I always just boiled them in salted water until they turned bright red like a lobster and then peeled them and chowed down. I may be a bit too simple...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(10-26-2020, 11:27 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
Serves 8
Ingredients
⅓ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped celery
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups water
2 cups sliced fresh okra
Instructions

That's fancy. I always just boiled them in salted water until they turned bright red like a lobster and then peeled them and chowed down. I may be a bit too simple...

You're such a guy.
(10-26-2020, 08:00 PM)Antisthenes Wrote: You're such a guy.

True enough, but as a guy, I can attest that one has to figure out SOMETHING to do with it when a microwave is not available!

(10-27-2020, 06:02 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 08:00 PM)Antisthenes Wrote: You're such a guy.

True enough, but as a guy, I can attest that one has to figure out SOMETHING to do with it when a microwave is not available!

]

That puts you head and shoulders above the
Average. Clearly in the top 20th percentile. I'm solaced to know you don't need Pizza Hut's number on speed dial to survive.
Serves 8
Ingredients
⅓ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped celery
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups water
2 cups sliced fresh okra
Instructions

I dont eat shell fish but that sounds good  minusculebeercheers But something about saying, "Darling im of to the graveyard to get dinner" just sort of turns me off
(10-27-2020, 09:48 AM)Wallfire Wrote:
Serves 8
Ingredients
⅓ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped celery
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups water
2 cups sliced fresh okra
Instructions

I dont eat shell fish but that sounds good  minusculebeercheers But something about saying, "Darling im of to the graveyard to get dinner" just sort of turns me off

Unless you're of pacific rim descent, everything you eat is deceased. Enjoy.
Duplicate
Duplicate
Mommy mommy I dont like uncle Jim
Shut up and leave him at the side of the plate
"I expect you to eat every carrot and pee on your plate"

(Charles Bukowski, Ham on Rye)

Cheers

(10-27-2020, 08:05 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: That puts you head and shoulders above the
Average. Clearly in the top 20th percentile. I'm solaced to know you don't need Pizza Hut's number on speed dial to survive.

I'm gonna tell a sad story. 

Pizza Hut doesn't deliver way out here... I know, I know, it's utterly barbaric, but there it is. I don't get a cell signal out here, either, so the number wouldn't do me any good even if they did deliver. I could order online, but then we get back to "Pizza Hut doesn't deliver way out here".

I live a hard life...

(10-27-2020, 09:30 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 08:05 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: That puts you head and shoulders above the

I'm gonna tell a sad story. 

Pizza Hut doesn't deliver way out here... I know, I know, it's utterly barbaric, but there it is. I don't get a cell signal out here, either, so the number wouldn't do me any good even if they did deliver. I could order online, but then we get back to "Pizza Hut doesn't deliver way out here".

I live a hard life...

That's terrifying. I need a Xanax.