Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My new telescope
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8277]The other day my husband and I drove 2 hours to pick up a telescope for me. It was a nice surprise from him and something I’ve been wanting for a long time. 

I was 12 when I got my first look at Saturn. That moment has stuck with me ever since. I always said I’d get a telescope of my own one day and look at it as long as I wanted. As the years went by there was always something else that took priority. I never stopped thinking about it though and when he said to pick one out for my birthday this year I jumped on the chance.

The first night didn’t go so well. I was so excited that I didn’t take into consideration that there were things that needed to be aligned. The next evening I did all that so it would be ready once it got dark. 

The first place I looked was at Saturn. It was breathtaking. I spent quite awhile gazing at it enjoying the fact that I could take as long as I wanted. After a time I let hubby look.

We then viewed Jupiter and three of it’s moons, and took some time to look at our moon. 

It’s been so nice to spend time with him doing something we both enjoy. 

Hoping to get an attachment for my camera because as you can see by the photo holding the phone over the eyepiece to try and get a pic is impossible.

I had a telescope years ago. Never could figure out how to make it work.
I've always loved looking at the night sky.

Let us know if you see any UFOs.   minusculebiggrin
(08-27-2020, 09:12 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I had a telescope years ago. Never could figure out how to make it work.
I've always loved looking at the night sky.

Let us know if you see any UFOs.   minusculebiggrin

For sure! Right after I run screaming back to my house! tinylaughing
What kind did you get? I have had a few different ones over the years, but those are long gone. If and when I get back out living in the country, I will shop for one. 

Enjoy !
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(08-27-2020, 09:42 PM)kdog Wrote: What kind did you get? I have had a few different ones over the years, but those are long gone. If and when I get back out living in the country, I will shop for one. 

Enjoy !

I got a Celestron 114mm Newtonian. I was going to get the 130mm but I would have to wait longer for that one. I’m happy enough with this one for now but will probably get a better one in the future.
(08-27-2020, 09:59 PM)VioletDove Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:42 PM)kdog Wrote: What kind did you get? I have had a few different ones over the years, but those are long gone. If and when I get back out living in the country, I will shop for one. 

Enjoy !

I got a Celestron 114mm Newtonian. I was going to get the 130mm but I would have to wait longer for that one. I’m happy enough with this one for now but will probably get a better one in the future.

Nice ! I'm jealous !

Btw happy belated birthday !

minusculebeercheers
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(08-27-2020, 11:10 PM)kdog Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:59 PM)VioletDove Wrote:

Enjoy !

Nice ! I'm jealous !

Btw happy belated birthday !

minusculebeercheers
Thank you  tinybiggrin
Outstanding!!! 

The photos will improve as time goes. Great hobby  tinybiggrin
Photos you will take will become precious.

I never had a telescope but a friend of mine did. One day he calls me and says "You want to see Jupiter?" I'm like yeah!!! Saw two of its moons too. Never saw Saturn though, I would have loved that!!
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
Photo of Jupiter and its moons I took with my DSLR camera! I love space and star stuff.. Its so intriguing!
[Image: 107259840-10221008151692083-5724039384570770108-o.jpg]
(08-28-2020, 12:50 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Outstanding!!! 

The photos will improve as time goes. Great hobby  tinybiggrin

I hope so. I would have loved to be able to get pics of the planets. It’s definitely something I’m going to enjoy getting better at.
(08-28-2020, 01:22 AM)KathrynRene Wrote: Photo of Jupiter and its moons I took with my DSLR camera! I love space and star stuff.. Its so intriguing!
[Image: 107259840-10221008151692083-5724039384570770108-o.jpg]

Love the pic! Thank you for sharing it.
All these photos are unaltered unedited. This is what we see in our back yards. Its a shame not everyone gets this kind of view 
[Image: IMG-1081.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1083.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1088.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1094.jpg]
The bright one on the left is Saturn and Jupiter on the right
(08-28-2020, 01:07 AM)Sol Wrote: Photos you will take will become precious.

I never had a telescope but a friend of mine did. One day he calls me and says "You want to see Jupiter?" I'm like yeah!!! Saw two of its moons too. Never saw Saturn though, I would have loved that!!

Seeing the planets gives such an amazing feeling. My husband likes Jupiter the best. He went on and on about it’s moons.  I hope you someday have the opportunity to see Saturn.
(08-28-2020, 01:29 AM)KathrynRene Wrote: All these photos are unaltered unedited. This is what we see in our back yards. Its a shame not everyone gets this kind of view 

Nice. I could sit and look at that sky for hours.

I would sure miss the night sky if I had to move away from the country. The back of our property is so dark and far enough out of the way that there is almost no light pollution. I just basically have to step outside for amazing views.
(08-28-2020, 01:49 AM)VioletDove Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 01:29 AM)KathrynRene Wrote: All these photos are unaltered unedited. This is what we see in our back yards. Its a shame not everyone gets this kind of view 

Nice. I could sit and look at that sky for hours.

I would sure miss the night sky if I had to move away from the country. The back of our property is so dark and far enough out of the way that there is almost no light pollution. I just basically have to step outside for amazing views.

Thats awesome! Count yourself lucky!!

Not showin' off.  Love me some photos.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-27-2020, 09:08 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I never stopped thinking about it though and when he said to pick one out for my birthday this year I jumped on the chance.

Happy Birfday, @"VioletDove".  You've got a great man there!!

Thanks (in advance) for all the photos of the sky you'll be sharing!!  -grin-
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-28-2020, 02:55 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:08 PM)VioletDove Wrote: I never stopped thinking about it though and when he said to pick one out for my birthday this year I jumped on the chance.

Happy Birfday, @"VioletDove".  You've got a great man there!!

Thanks (in advance) for all the photos of the sky you'll be sharing!!  -grin-

Thank you  tinybiggrin

Hopefully there will be a lot of photos soon.
I'm jealous.  I've been wanting to get a new telescope for a little while now.  Like you, I got my first one for Christmas when I was somewhere around 10-12, and since then I was hooked on space stuff.

Now that my oldest daughter is almost 7, I wanted to pass that onto her.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]