Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do We Go Back to Normal?
At what point do we say enough is enough. 

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but it is beyond ridiculous around my parts. 

I am talking about the virus . 

I have been out of work for nearly 2 months because of it , and I have grown tired of it. 

Some words from a nurse that sums up my feelings about it. 

Quote:What is the end game with the ‘rona? Anyone? 

What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the “all clear?” Is it zero cases? For a while, the goal was to simply “flatten the curve,” but now that we are disconnecting utilities for gatherings in California, setting up check points in New York, and recommending goggles (what’s next?), it seems as if there is, in fact, no end game. And, truthfully, the only way that we will see numbers drop is if we cease testing and stop reporting. Keep in mind that hundreds of thousands have shown up to be tested, registered, left due to long waits, and still come up positive when they received their results.

Is it a vaccine? It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1776 and the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective (that’s generous- the last two years it was more like 20-25%), less than half of the US population chooses to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans still die annually due to flu or flu complications.

Oh, you'll mandate it in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.? We already have a growing number of vaccine researchers refusing proven, tested, well-known vaccines that have been administered for decades! Do you really believe the majority of people will flock to get a fast-tracked vaccine, whose long-term side effects and overall efficacy rates are anyone's best guess? How long are we going to cancel? Postpone? Reconsider?

Now we are advised against in-person school until second quarter? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? Then what?

Move football to spring? What if next March is worse than this March?

When do we decide quality of life outweighs risk?

We understand this virus can be deadly for SOME, but so are shellfish, peanut butter, and bee stings. We take risks every day without a second thought.

We know driving a car can be dangerous, but we don't leave it parked in the garage for months on end. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking, and eating fried foods, but we do it, none-the-less. We speed on highways, some idiots still don't buckle their seatbelts, we take medications more than “as directed,” and a good number of individuals don't think twice about unprotected sex.

Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway? Is going to a bar with friends more risky than four day old gas station sushi? Or operating a chainsaw?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will?

I want a waiver that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with hugs, smiles, college athletics, the state fair, concerts, and school dances."

I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die but, more probable, I will end up feeling like junk for a few days.

I understand I could possibly pass this virus onto someone else, but I can pass ANY virus onto someone else at any time until the end of time.

Are we busy living or busy dying?

It’s hard to tell these days.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(08-24-2020, 02:24 AM)kdog Wrote: At what point do we say enough is enough. 

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but it is beyond ridiculous around my parts. 

I have been out of work for nearly 2 months because of it , and I have grown tired of it. 

What is the end game with the ‘rona? Anyone? ?
What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the “all clear?” Is it zero cases? For a while, the goal was to simply “flatten the curve,” but now that we are disconnecting utilities for gatherings in California, setting up check points in New York, and recommending goggles (what’s next?), it seems as if there is, in fact, no end game. And, truthfully, the only way that we will see numbers drop is if we cease testing and stop reporting. Keep in mind that hundreds of thousands have shown up to be tested, registered, left due to long waits, and still come up positive when they received their results. ??‍♀️
Is it a vaccine?? It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1776 and the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective (that’s generous- the last two years it was more like 20-25%), less than half of the US population chooses to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans still die annually due to flu or flu complications.
Oh, you'll mandate it in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.? We already have a growing number of vaccine researchers refusing proven, tested, well-known vaccines that have been administered for decades! Do you really believe the majority of people will flock to get a fast-tracked vaccine, whose long-term side effects and overall efficacy rates are anyone's best guess? How long are we going to cancel? Postpone? Reconsider?
Now we are advised against in-person school until second quarter? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? Then what?
We understand this virus can be deadly for SOME, but so are shellfish, peanut butter, and bee stings. We take risks every day without a second thought.
We know driving a car can be dangerous, but we don't leave it parked in the garage for months on end. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking, and eating fried foods, but we do it, none-the-less. We speed on highways, some idiots still don't buckle their seatbelts, we take medications more than “as directed,” and a good number of individuals don't think twice about unprotected sex.
Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway? Is going to a bar with friends more risky than four day old gas station sushi? Or operating a chainsaw?
I want a waiver that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with hugs, smiles, college athletics, the state fair, concerts, and school dances."
I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die but, more probable, I will end up feeling like junk for a few days.
I understand I could possibly pass this virus onto someone else, but I can pass ANY virus onto someone else at any time until the end of time.

The leadership we required would have had us back in business by now. Lay the blame on the head it belongs. We are quite unfortunately, here by the designs of indifference.
internet Agent Provocateur
And it's not just us ... the United States. Were we to vanquish the virus, the rest of the world would follow suit. Still it would take time, maybe a year ? Now there's news of a new Ebola outbreak.

New Ebola outbreak kills dozens in Democratic Republic of Congo

21 August, 2020

A new outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus has infected 100 people as of Friday, and killed 43 of them in a western province of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The rapid spread of the virus has health officials concerned.

The World Health Organization says Democratic Republic of Congo’s 11th Ebola virus disease outbreak was announced on June 1 after a cluster of cases was detected in Mbandaka, a city of 1 million people on the River Congo, according to Reuters.

It seems a neverending plague has fallen on mankind.
And it 'seems' true that there has been a great deal of hyperbole  with the statistics and number of deaths, and as to if they were collateral dammage of an illness or strictly Covid ??? 
The media does not seem to be a very reliable source for accurate news.
Lets go back to normal, lets go back to work.

I've enough of this shit.
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(08-24-2020, 02:38 AM)Antisthenes Wrote:

What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the “all clear?” Is it zero cases? For a while, the goal was to simply “flatten the curve,” but now that we are disconnecting utilities for gatherings in California, setting up check points in New York, and recommending goggles (what’s next?), it seems as if there is, in fact, no end game. And, truthfully, the only way that we will see numbers drop is if we cease testing and stop reporting. Keep in mind that hundreds of thousands have shown up to be tested, registered, left due to long waits, and still come up positive when they received their results. ??‍♀️
Is it a vaccine?? It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1776 and the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective (that’s generous- the last two years it was more like 20-25%), less than half of the US population chooses to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans still die annually due to flu or flu complications.

The leadership we required would have had us back in business by now.  Lay the blame on the head it belongs. We are quite unfortunately, here by the designs of indifference.
We have been in the pot too long. The temps were eased up at the perfect rate. We went from cold, to lukewarm, to just about right.

We were conditioned to believe with time and patience, the mild discomforts would disappear, and all would be prefect. 

We believed. They lied. Now our goose is throughly cooked. In fact it is falling off the bone.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Dear God, lets go back to normal.

tinysure
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(08-24-2020, 03:05 AM)beez Wrote: Dear God, lets go back to normal.

tinysure

That ship had left the harbor )-:

The leadership we required would have had us back in business by now.  Lay the blame on the head it belongs. We are quite unfortunately, here by the designs of indifference.

Are you suggesting our president is responsible? I think the blame  lays with our  governors. I blame our city mayors for allowing , no , forcing police to stand down for so called peaceful protests, when in actuality they , not all, are rioters . But , they never address those issues.  I blame the local officials for locking us down. 

Where I live , we are dealing with 2 things. Crime out of control, and lack of freedom because of this virus . Those are local issues that have nothing to do with the president. 

So, who do we blame? Ourselves for allowing this to happen? What leadership would have stopped this, I must ask. I'm just asking a honest question.
(08-24-2020, 02:40 AM)PLOTUS Wrote: And it's not just us ... the United States. Were we to vanquish the virus, the rest of the world would follow suit. Still it would take time, maybe a year ? Now there's news of a new Ebola outbreak.

New Ebola outbreak kills dozens in Democratic Republic of Congo

21 August, 2020

A new outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus has infected 100 people as of Friday, and killed 43 of them in a western province of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The rapid spread of the virus has health officials concerned.

The World Health Organization says Democratic Republic of Congo’s 11th Ebola virus disease outbreak was announced on June 1 after a cluster of cases was detected in Mbandaka, a city of 1 million people on the River Congo, according to Reuters.

It seems a neverending plague has fallen on mankind.
And it 'seems' true that there has been a great deal of hyperbole  with the statistics and number of deaths, and as to if they were collateral dammage of an illness or strictly Covid ??? 
The media does not seem to be a very reliable source for accurate news.

Yeah, you don't hear about any other causes of death anymore. I smoke clove cigars, drink too much alcohol and drive recklessly everyday, but yet , here I am to type these words. It's finally worked, propaganda to spread fear and control people. 

Disease is natural, happens all the time. Why is this one so special and scary?
(08-24-2020, 03:16 AM)kdog Wrote:

Are you suggesting our president is responsible? I think the blame  lays with our  governors. I blame our city mayors for allowing , no , forcing police to stand down for so called peaceful protests, when in actuality they , not all, are rioters . But , they never address those issues.  I blame the local officials for locking us down. 

Where I live , we are dealing with 2 things. Crime out of control, and lack of freedom because of this virus . Those are local issues that have nothing to do with the president. 

So, who do we blame? Ourselves for allowing this to happen? What leadership would have stopped this, I must ask. I'm just asking a honest question.

Feces flows down hill. The Presidrnt had an opportunity to take control and create a leadership model. He was incapable. You have bought the bill of goods he is peddling. I am not infering he is resposible, I am unequivocally stating that he is responsible. Every first world Country and a few "shithole" country's have this virus under control. That was due to leadership. Precise, concise and fast acting.
You are no longer welcome in a large amount of Nations around the globe. We are now the "shithole country". Your Passport is a dishrag barely worth the paper it's printed on. The dollar will cease to be the fiat as soon as the world decides it's so. Your savings won't be in existence, it will all be useless paper. Trump did this, not Biden, TRUMP. I want my Republican Party back, dammit. I built a Business, played the game, worked hard, created savings and retired.........for this???? I want sanity back. I want my grandchildren to have a world that isn't a dystopian nightmare. And as Ninurta says ironically, and yes.....

"Orange man bad"
(08-24-2020, 03:39 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: The President had an opportunity to take control and create a leadership model. He was incapable. You have bought the bill of goods he is peddling. I am not inferring he is responsible, I am unequivocally stating that he is responsible.

You're saying he made a mistake trusting Fauci's decision making?   tinybiggrin

Fauci: the guy who sings the praises of Hitlery Clinton?   tinyshocked
Fauci: the guy who said AIDS was going to kill everybody if we didn't get a cure?   tinyshouting

I guess you thought President Trump saw himself as 'qualified' to decide the outcomes of medical care?  Have you got a reservation via Bill Gates for that first vaccine trial?   tinylaughing

The one decision that was clearly in the hands of President Trump ... was to First Strike China for developing and releasing a Bio-Weapon on us.  Are you saying you think President Trump effed-up by not nuking the ever-loving shiz out of China?   minusculeflamethrower

@"Antisthenes" I want you to know, in all sincerity, that I appreciate your contributions to the boards.  Without everyone hearing what the other side is thinking ... RN3 would become an echo-chamber with an ever-declining volume.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-24-2020, 04:23 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 03:39 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: The President had an opportunity to take control and create a leadership model. He was incapable. You have bought the bill of goods he is peddling. I am not inferring he is responsible, I am unequivocally stating that he is responsible.

You're saying he made a mistake trusting Fauci's decision making?   tinybiggrin

Fauci: the guy who sings the praises of Hitlery Clinton?   tinyshocked
Fauci: the guy who said AIDS was going to kill everybody if we didn't get a cure?   tinyshouting

I guess you thought President Trump saw himself as 'qualified' to decide the outcomes of medical care?  Have you got a reservation via Bill Gates for that first vaccine trial?   tinylaughing

The one decision that was clearly in the hands of President Trump ... was to First Strike China for developing and releasing a Bio-Weapon on us.  Are you saying you think President Trump effed-up by not nuking the ever-loving shiz out of China?   minusculeflamethrower

@"Antisthenes" I want you to know, in all sincerity, that I appreciate your contributions to the boards.  Without everyone hearing what the other side is thinking ... RN3 would become an echo-chamber with an ever-declining volume.

To answer any of your queries I would have to believe all the unilateral statements you made. I don't and as such am unable to make any comment. The most important point though is that I'm on some "other side".... I'm not. I'm on my side and look out for my and my loved one's welfare. I believe neither "side" has my interest at heart. One side are misguided socialist do gooders and the other a group of sycophant's playing to a would be Dictator. I've no stomach for either.

I am here and speak my mind because others here offer their opinions and we all share ideas without resorting to ad hominem attacks. When it devolves to that unfortunate shitshow and becomes ATS, I will abandon the dumpster fire because life is too short for that. Till then, this is fun.

Trust me, Snarl, I'm no more palatable over at Libtard Central. I believe in thinking for myself and pride myself in being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I am here for spirited conversation and have no agenda and I feel no inclination to people please. If you like me, it's because you respect my opinion, not because I can parrot back a bunch of dogmatic political pablum. Facts are stubborn things and I won't be dissuaded by anyone's group think.

On that note, I very much appreciate your contributions to the board as well my friend. Cheers.
(08-24-2020, 05:21 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: I believe in thinking for myself and pride myself in being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I am here for spirited conversation and have no agenda and I feel no inclination to people please. If you like me, it's because you respect my opinion ...

On that note, I very much appreciate your contributions to the board as well my friend. Cheers.

I love this site!!  So easy to communicate without risking judgement!!

Friends ... indeed!!
You better run!
What annoys me the most with this whole covid situation is the way they talk about a 'new normal'.

I don't want a 'new normal'. I want my old normal back.

Pre-covid. In ten years down the road, I want to think of this as just a bad dream. Or a bad memory.

Not a '2020, the year where everything changed' scenario. We've had that already after 9/11.

Back to normal. The sooner the better.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(08-24-2020, 12:08 PM)Sol Wrote: What annoys me the most with this whole covid situation is the way they talk about a 'new normal'.

I don't want a 'new normal'. I want my old normal back.

Pre-covid. In ten years down the road, I want to think of this as just a bad dream. Or a bad memory.

Not a '2020, the year where everything changed' scenario. We've had that already after 9/11.

Back to normal. The sooner the better.

I dont know man. I too would like to get back to normal, but somehow I doubt the old normal will ever come back. It appears to me that some forces far bigger then all of us, is on some nefarious agenda. Cant quite envision the whole...but I feel and see some ugly parts of it.
(08-24-2020, 03:39 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: Every first world Country and a few "shithole" country's have this virus under control. That was due to leadership. Precise, concise and fast acting.

respectfully disagree, and this quoted part is simply not true. You might be reading too much MSM.

here is one article of the lauded MSM that goes to point.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/asia/...index.html
(08-24-2020, 12:13 PM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote: It appears to me that some forces far bigger then all of us, is on some nefarious agenda. Cant quite envision the whole...but I feel and see some ugly parts of it.

You better run!
(08-24-2020, 01:22 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 12:13 PM)MarioOnTheFly Wrote: It appears to me that some forces far bigger then all of us, is on some nefarious agenda. Cant quite envision the whole...but I feel and see some ugly parts of it.

tinybiggrin  we could spend the weekend discussing Matrix (part 1 that is)
(08-24-2020, 01:22 PM)Snarl Wrote:

There are moments when I have felt that way about our species.

But I know that we are all vacuumed packed together on this little blue oblate marble, spinning in a vast universe, headed to a destination not of our own accord.

I also know that whatever we think we control, is an illusion fostered in our own minds. We are reactionary beings. Even in our most toxic form, the planet seems to make lemonade out of the damage we create. 

This alone is enough to allow me the belief that we can be a symbiotic organism on this planet. I also believe that if we become overly septic, the planet will purge our numbers.

Adaption is a survival mechanism that works both ways, but the planet will survive without us, until another species arrives. Let us hope we leave enough artifacts behind, that they will learn from our mistakes.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers