Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Love always, Your vet
Rainbow 
I had to say good-bye to my good boy of 12 years last night. My sister sent this to me, and I wanted to share.

How your vet sees euthanasia....

So, you bring me this puppy - she kisses my face, devours the cookies I offer, and our friendship starts.

Several visits later, he starts to learn where all the cookie jars are in the clinic, and that lady in the white coat, well she’s okay....

Fast forward many visits later, now I am in love with your dog and your whole family because, well, you are just really really good people and I have not only watched that pup turn into a really sweet family member, but I got to watch the kids grow every year and be a very small part of your journey.

Remember that time she ate your teenage daughter’s thong underwear? ??? yeah we all had a good laugh over that once surgery was done and she was recovered. Your daughter probably never forgave me for bagging that up and showing the whole fam-jam when they came to pick her up from the clinic.

So many adventures, so little time.....

And here we are, fifteen or so odd years later, having to say goodbye.

He’s got heart disease and I can’t fix it anymore. She’s got cancer and there is no cure. He has arthritis and the meds just aren’t working. I want her to live forever for you. I want that so badly it hurts. I feel like I have failed him and you when I have run out of options to keep them, and you, comfortable and happy.
So now it’s time, and I am supposed to be professional. Objective. I am the doctor. Calm. Cool. Collected. Always under control.

F~*k that.

I have known you and her for a third of my life, and most of my professional career.

But I keep it together. My superhuman amazing technicians have put the catheter in. My support staff from reception to assistants have done all the paperwork. Trust me they may not show it but their hearts are breaking for you. They have been there. They know. And they know you and care about you too.

And I have the needle in the pocket of my white coat. The same pocket that was always full of treats for him. I take a deep yoga breath and come into the room. Gotta stay strong now.......

She’s giving me that sweet look she always does, the one that is followed by puppy kisses and a glance at the cookie jar. But she is too weak now. She is ready. You are not. I am not. But this shit has to happen because we love her too much to let her suffer.

She would keep going as long as we asked her too. But we can’t ask her to anymore. It’s not fair to her. I wish our human hearts could be so giving all the time. I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am. I wish I wish i wish I could find a way for them to live forever. But I don’t have those magical powers. I am just a vet.

So we kiss him back, not much left of his body that still works, but that old tail wags, just enough that I lose my shit on the inside but I try not to cry. Gotta stay strong.

Her body relaxes, she is in your arms and your are sobbing. Another family has lost one of its most cherished members. I put my stethoscope to her heart to make sure it has stopped but she is held so tight to your chest that maybe that is your heart I hear pounding or maybe it’s mine and all the blood rushing through my ears as I try so so so hard not to turn into a blubbering mess.

Confirmed, he has passed. You lay him gently on the table and we hug tightly as you go to leave.

The door closes behind you and I don’t know if you hear this, but I sob hysterically into your pets ear. She is gone, he will be missed, and you have to face what I know will be one of the hardest parts of today.

Entering that house and they are not there to greet you.

Please know that I know how you feel. As you leave the clinic I just wish with every fibre of my being that you never had to face that. I wish they could live forever.

And please know, I am so grateful that I was a small part of your journey.

Love always, Your vet.

[Image: download.jpg]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8270]
You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. There is NO middle ground.
Heart wrenching.

So sorry for your loss. <sobs>
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Lump in my throat, and I'm about to go off! tinycrying

Sorry LJ
I was born with a Thorn in my Soul, sometimes it hurts.

Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could hear twice as much as we speak.

- Epictetus

@"LadyJae" 
I am So Very Sorry For Your Loss.
The Letter was Beautiful.

Rest In Peace Good Boy.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
That letter made me cry. We never stop to think about the Vets, do we?  Very touching.

Loosing a pet is as hard (for me) as losing a human family member, if not worse. They stay like children in our lives, so having to say goodbye is so very hard. But, I honestly believe they are still with us in spirit.
I've felt my big boy cat rub against my legs many times years after he passed. I also believe they will greet us on the other side when our day comes to leave this Earth. I hope that gives you some comfort.

Thoughts and love to you at this terrible time. 

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fquotespictures.com%2Fwp-...f=1&nofb=1]
My Vet became a close family friend. When my 20 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback, was too weak to stand, we carried him outside on a blanket to do his business. My Vet allowed us to do that for a couple of days, before he sat us down and talked to us like a friend. 

When the time came, he sat on the floor and held him as he administered the medication, and prayed over him.

I will never forget the pain and compassion so evident in my Vet's eyes when he was helping us through the lost of our Caleb. We became very close friends. His family is like mine and mine is like his. He is an amazing man, and a very good Vet.

I feel your pain. Losing a pet that you have had for years is a tough and very painful experience, that affects the whole family. 

This is one of the last pictures I have of Lazarus my cat/dog. He was 21 years old when he past. It always makes me smile a painful smile every time I look at it.

[Image: Goof-bye-Laz-20190726-174529882.jpg]

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(08-23-2020, 03:00 PM)Snarl Wrote: Heart wrenching.

So sorry for your loss. <sobs>

(((@Snarl))) Thank you, my friend. I'm lonely already.

Jas
You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. There is NO middle ground.
(08-23-2020, 03:26 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Lump in my throat, and I'm about to go off! tinycrying

Sorry LJ

Many thanks, @"Moonmagic" . He was a good boy, and my companion.

Jas
(08-23-2020, 05:55 PM)guohua Wrote: @"LadyJae" 
I am So Very Sorry For Your Loss.
The Letter was Beautiful.

Rest In Peace Good Boy.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(((@"guohua" ))) That was an amazing letter, wasn't it. Itt certainly gave me pause. I had never considered that our verts became attached to our pets the same as we do.

Jas
(08-23-2020, 06:09 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: That letter made me cry. We never stop to think about the Vets, do we?  Very touching.

Loosing a pet is as hard (for me) as losing a human family member, if not worse. They stay like children in our lives, so having to say goodbye is so very hard. But, I honestly believe they are still with us in spirit.
I've felt my big boy cat rub against my legs many times years after he passed. I also believe they will greet us on the other side when our day comes to leave this Earth. I hope that gives you some comfort.

Thoughts and love to you at this terrible time. 

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fquotespictures.com%2Fwp-...f=1&nofb=1]

((( @"Mystic Wanderer" ))) Thank you, my friend. :)  It is curious how our animals become a true family member. I feel his weight across my feet right now. He was never more than an arm's reach away.  My comforter, my protector, my friend.

I have no doubt that we will meet again. I'm looking forward to meeting my pack again.

Jas
(08-23-2020, 07:18 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: My Vet became a close family friend. When my 20 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback, was too weak to stand, we carried him outside on a blanket to do his business. My Vet allowed us to do that for a couple of days, before he sat us down and talked to us like a friend. 

When the time came, he sat on the floor and held him as he administered the medication, and prayed over him.

I will never forget the pain and compassion so evident in my Vet's eyes when he was helping us through the lost of our Caleb. We became very close friends. His family is like mine and mine is like his. He is an amazing man, and a very good Vet.

I feel your pain. Losing a pet that you have had for years is a tough and very painful experience, that affects the whole family. 

This is one of the last pictures I have of Lazarus my cat/dog. He was 21 years old when he past. It always makes me smile a painful smile every time I look at it.

[Image: Goof-bye-Laz-20190726-174529882.jpg]

((( @"NightskyeB4Dawn" )))  How blessed you are to have had your furbabies for so many years. I have been that lucky only once. We grew up together, she and I.

I had never considered just how much a good vet has invested in his patients. There is much I'm still discovering (or rediscovering) in my old age.

Thank you for your kind words ;)

Jas
(08-23-2020, 10:34 PM)LadyJae Wrote: I'm lonely already.

Of course you are.   tinycrying

We lost our little girl Socks about a year ago.  You'd have to say she was my son's dog (she imprinted on him as a pup).  Traveled all over the world with us, and then him, and then us.

Wife was packing up to travel overseas.  Socks saw her leaving ... and before my wife landed ... the wind had left Socks' sails.  She was pretty tired out and we all knew it wouldn't be long.

We've since added another to our pack.  Probably saved this one from being abandoned.  Another blessing for our house.

Give yourself some time, Jas.  There's another pup coming along who needs you to be 'his world'.

Love ya,
Snarl
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-24-2020, 03:46 AM)Snarl Wrote: Of course you are.   tinycrying

We lost our little girl Socks about a year ago.  

We've since added another to our pack.  Probably saved this one from being abandoned.  Another blessing for our house.

Give yourself some time, Jas.  There's another pup coming along who needs you to be 'his world'.

Love ya,
Snarl

What a privilege to grow up and grow older with Socks! You were well blessed. 

Another puppy rescued and living in love. That is wonderful to hear.

I doubt I will have another animal, @"Snarl"  I'm just not able to take care of another living being. I will admit there is a big hole in my life, and I'm about as lonely as one can be. 

I'm hoping my better half will make it home in a week or so (he drives a truck). It will be good to see his face.

Much love,
Jasmine
(08-24-2020, 07:28 PM)LadyJae Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 03:46 AM)Snarl Wrote: Of course you are.   tinycrying

We lost our little girl Socks about a year ago.  

Love ya,
Snarl

What a privilege to grow up and grow older with Socks! You were well blessed. 

Another puppy rescued and living in love. That is wonderful to hear.

I doubt I will have another animal, @"Snarl"  I'm just not able to take care of another living being. I will admit there is a big hole in my life, and I'm about as lonely as one can be. 

I'm hoping my better half will make it home in a week or so (he drives a truck). It will be good to see his face.

Much love,
Jasmine

My heart is with you LJ. I'm so sorry for your loss. Circle of life, I suppose. The deal we quietly make when we take these precious babies into our lives and hearts

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. "Dr. Seuss"
internet Agent Provocateur
(08-24-2020, 07:28 PM)LadyJae Wrote: I doubt I will have another animal, @"Snarl"  I'm just not able to take care of another living being. I will admit there is a big hole in my life, and I'm about as lonely as one can be. 

Much love,
Jasmine

You know your situation better than anyone else, but I am very glad I listened to the kind folk here at RN. 

Having these two new little brat kittens, brings so much light and joy in my house that it is unbelievable. 

It seems they know just what you need spiritually, and they just fill in the gaps. My Mom says they run back and forth between us to make sure our spiritual cup remains full. You can see the contentment in them when we are together in the same room.

The same is true of the dogs. All is at peace and seems right with world, when all of us are together in the same room. The dogs and the kittens lay stretched out on the floor around us, and the peace and contentment is palpable.

Not saying that they don't have their moments, and that we are always free of chaos, but what is life without a little chaos.

It took me about a year before I considered the idea of having another cat. Lazarus was with us for 21 years, life without him didn't seem normal, but there was nothing normal about Lazarus. Enoch and Sylvester are not Lazarus, and I am so glad they are not. Watching them develop their own unique personalities is half the fun. 

I thought too that I didn't have it in me to care for another pet. As it turns out they take care of me. They give me a reason for getting out of the bed in the morning, otherwise I would be in bed until after midday. They give me purpose, they give me motivation, and they help me grow compassion and love. 

I am so sorry for your lost. I grieve with you. With time you may find a pet that needs you, as much as you may find you need the little rascal as well.

Meantime, you have your fellow Rogues here for you.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

@"Antisthenes"  @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

I would love to have another pet, but it truly wouldn't be fair to the pet.  I can give all the love one could ever need. I just can't physically care for another young animal.

I will have to be content with my memories and watching the neighbors pet frolic with the children. It will simply just have to be enough.

And my RN family, I am so thankful for all of you.

Much love,
Jas
(08-25-2020, 02:17 AM)LadyJae Wrote: @"Antisthenes"  @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

I would love to have another pet, but it truly wouldn't be fair to the pet.  I can give all the love one could ever need. I just can't physically care for another young animal.

I will have to be content with my memories and watching the neighbors pet frolic with the children. It will simply just have to be enough.

And my RN family, I am so thankful for all of you.

Much love,
Jas

Sometimes, Memories are all we have, but memories can be Sweet.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]