Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rioters in Downtown Portland
Wheeler is a disgusting POS!

Quote:PORTLAND, Ore. - Days after members of the Portland Police Bureau Rapid Response Team were deputized through the end of 2020, Mayor Ted Wheeler is asking the U.S. Attorney to withdraw the designation.

Mayor Wheeler released this statement Tuesday night:
“Portland is fortunate the Governor and the Multnomah County Sheriff helped protect public safety this weekend, including by federally deputizing some Portland Police officers. Now that Governor Brown’s executive order has expired, I’ve asked the U.S. Attorney’s office to withdraw the designation.
A key feature of the designation is that anyone who assaults a federally deputized official could be subject to federal charges. Fortunately, I am confident the Multnomah County District Attorney will continue to prosecute anyone who assaults or otherwise harms police officers or others. I take assaults against our officers seriously and so does the district attorney. We need to end the violence. Anyone engaging in illegal violent behavior, regardless of their beliefs or position, must be held accountable.”

According to the U.S. Marshal's office, they haven't yet received a request from the Mayor. In an email, a spokesperson for the U.S. Marshal's office said simply "The U.S. Marshals Service has not received a request to terminate the deputization of any officers sworn in the previous weekend."

The Department of Justice says that since protests began in Portland, nearly 100 people were charged with a federal crime. Most of the charges are assault on a federal officer or civil disorder. According to the DOJ, a civil disorder charge faces a maximum punishment of five years in jail. But the punishment can last longer than that.

"There’s the possibility of expungement for convictions in the State of Oregon, in contrast, in the Federal system, there’s no statutory authority for expungement. So if you get a conviction, even a misdemeanor conviction, absent of any extremely compelling circumstances, you’ll have that conviction in your record," explained Justin Rusk, an Associate Attorney with Janet Hoffman and Associates. "There are certain rights that are lost that are more easily be regained under a state crime, for example to serve on a jury, firearm fires, your right to vote. A federal conviction, even a misdemeanor conviction, will go with you and can impede a lot of those functions."

While it depends on the charge, Rusk says typically, punishments with Federal charges are more severe.
Attorneys with the ACLU say they feel deputizing officers is a scare tactic for protesters.

"I think it’s a continued intimidation tactic by the Federal agents to try and stop people from expressing their first amendment rights," explained Matthew Borden, an ACLU of Oregon attorney and of Braun, Hagey and Borden.

"They’re trying to prevent people from expressing their lawful right to protest and make a statement about that Black lives matter."
How disgusting is that statement?  Preventing people from expressing their lawful right to protest?  Give me a break!

How about we call it what it is?  Preventing the city from being burned to the ground and attacks on police? This is not "protesting".

Someone PLEASE vote this scum out of office in November! 

Read more here:  Source[url=https://katu.com/news/local/mayor-wheeler-asks-us-attorney-to-de-deputize-ppb-officers][/url]