Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
0.00048926866251654 AU
I was looking at a data base of incoming near earth objects and just looked up this number to get a relative understanding on how many miles/km it was. Something incoming and I get these pictures instead of numbers. 

[Image: Annotation-2020-08-17-235850.png]

https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2011%20ES4;orb=1

Just thought it was strange. Coming Sept. 2.

[Image: Annotation-2020-08-18-001344.png]
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(08-18-2020, 05:02 AM)kdog Wrote: I was looking at a data base of incoming near earth objects and just looked up this number to get a relative understanding on how many miles/km it was. Something incoming and I get these pictures instead of numbers. 

Wow. that's going to approach inside the moon's orbit. 58% of the distance to the moon. Put another way, the moon will be 1.72 times farther away.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

So, what you're saying is that this 2020 election is so messed up, that the asteroid can't even figure out the correct date. 

I'm officially pulling my support for Asteroid 2020, it obviously lied during it's campaign.
Looked like a hit... Notice, you can move the plane to horizontal.
Have we factored in the impact possibilities if we assume the earth is flat??

Just asking.... minusculebeercheers
(08-18-2020, 07:06 AM)PLOTUS Wrote: Looked like a hit... Notice, you can move the plane to horizontal.

It did look that way, but realize that space is very, very big, and Earth and this asteroid are very, very small. It's difficult to depict that vastness on a computer screen. Just the orbit lines are bigger than the entire planet in this view. The closest approach appeared to be about 223,000 km off from a hit, and as they say, a miss is as good as a mile. particularly where asteroids are concerned.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-18-2020, 07:11 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: Have we factored in the impact possibilities if we assume the earth is flat??

Clearly it will skip off, like a rock skipping across a flat lake...

(08-18-2020, 08:06 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 07:11 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: Have we factored in the impact possibilities if we assume the earth is flat??

Clearly it will skip off, like a rock skipping across a flat lake...

Or it could hit at 90 degrees and put a hole clean through.  We could look through and see whats underneath.

Err,,,I'll leave it at that.  

Bally:)
(08-18-2020, 06:40 AM)MisterSpock Wrote: So, what you're saying is that this 2020 election is so messed up, that the asteroid can't even figure out the correct date. 

I'm officially pulling my support for Asteroid 2020, it obviously lied during it's campaign.

They have a rating on orbital forecast that goes from 1 to 10. 1 is most accurate , 10 it could go anywhere. This one is a solid 7. 

So, I'm sticking with 2011 es4 , or whatever, because it is more predictable then any of the candidates

minusculebeercheers
oh wow, never saw this video. 

(08-18-2020, 05:02 AM)kdog Wrote: I was looking at a data base of incoming near earth objects and just looked up this number to get a relative understanding on how many miles/km it was. Something incoming and I get these pictures instead of numbers.

Interesting ... when coupled with the number of telescopes that are 'mysteriously' unmanned ATM.

Was AOC a little off with her 12 year prediction? -chuckle

I wonder what the effect of Venus' gravitational wake might have on a little asteroid.  Was that factored-in to the projected trajectory?
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!

So you're saying we're all gonna die in 2 weeks and that I should quit my job right now?

tinywhat 

Okay.

tinybiggrin
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln

I am going to blame you, even if it is not your fault. I had visited RN and saw your thread.

I think the ridiculous heat is getting to me. I was tired and I laid down for a nap. 

I had trouble getting to sleep, usually my head hits the pillow and I am out. But when I would closed my eyes I would see the periodic of elements table, like it was printed on the back of my eye lids. 

Weird. I can't remember the last I had seen the table. I think it has been years. I finally drift off to sleep. Still thought it was strange. Until I saw you thread title again.

So I am blaming you.  tinylaughing

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(08-18-2020, 09:54 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 02:00 PM)beez Wrote:

So you're saying we're all gonna die in 2 weeks and that I should quit my job right now?

tinywhat 

Okay.

tinybiggrin

I am going to blame you, even if it is not your fault. I had visited RN and saw your thread.

I think the ridiculous heat is getting to me. I was tired and I laid down for a nap. 

I had trouble getting to sleep, usually my head hits the pillow and I am out. But when I would closed my eyes I would see the periodic of elements table, like it was printed on the back of my eye lids. 

Weird. I can't remember the last I had seen the table. I think it has been years. I finally drift off to sleep. Still thought it was strange. Until I saw you thread title again.

I didn't write the thread

tinysurprised
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(08-18-2020, 06:14 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

Wow. that's going to approach inside the moon's orbit. 58% of the distance to the moon. Put another way, the moon will be 1.72 times farther away.

We just had one pass within 1830 miles of Earth over the weekend!
Car-sized asteroid passes within 1830 miles of Earth this past weekend- the closest pass ever- and we didn't see it coming
"As an American it's your responsibility to have your own strategic duck stockpile. You can't expect the government to do it for you." - the dork I call one of my mom's other kids
[Image: Tiny-Ducks.jpg]
(08-18-2020, 10:26 PM)beez Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 09:54 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 02:00 PM)beez Wrote:

tinywhat 

Okay.

tinybiggrin

I didn't write the thread

tinysurprised

Sorry @Beez I was still half sleep.

Will fix that.

Thanks.

• minusculebeercheers 

I think the ridiculous heat is getting to me. I was tired and I laid down to take a nap. 

I had trouble getting to sleep, usually my head hits the pillow and I am out. But when I would closed my eyes I would see the periodic of elements table, like it was printed on the back of my eye lids. 

So I am blaming you.  tinylaughing

• minusculebeercheers 

Pretty fascinating and a little frightening. First a pandemic, then murder hornets, civil unrest, and now we have an asteroid coming close to the planet. Awesome.  tinysurprised
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
@"beez" 
Quote:So you're saying we're all gonna die in 2 weeks and that I should quit my job right now?

[Image: tinywhat.png] 

Okay.

[Image: tinybiggrin.png]

YES and don't forget to MAX-OUT all your Credit Cards, why worry, you won't be around to pay them back!   minusculespooked
@"GeauxHomeLittleD" 

Quote:We just had one pass within 1830 miles of Earth over the weekend!

DAMN! I missed it and I'm still here!

@"NightskyeB4Dawn" 
Quote:I think the ridiculous heat is getting to me. I was tired and I laid down for a nap. 

Really!!?? And just how Hot is that? It was 115 Degrees here today at 4:45 PM right now and I'm sitting here next to my husband NAKED having Hot Flashes from Menopause! You just can't get the house cool enough for me right now!  tinysure
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]

It's NOT!!??  tinysurprised
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479jor1ktvu6sg2ppwfg...=giphy.gif] [Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c8499b38ac4f126ede...=giphy.gif] WELL!!!!!!!!!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]