Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
5 million dead and 25 cities gassed.
Over the years we have been exposed to the revisionist history of how mean and terrible the atomic bombing of Japan was to end the war.

Well there were how many killed in the dropping of the two nuclear devices ? Not as many people died as you might suspect by dropping the first bomb (78,000 initially although many others would die from radiation poisoning; I have seen numbers as high as 140,000) and as far as Nagasaki the initial death toll was around 40,000 due to the city being in mountainous terrain.. Yes more died from radiation poisoning but America lost more dead and wounded taking Okinawa (50,000 dead a wounded) and that was just one small Island.

OK there were plans for the chemical warfare boys who had accumulated 144,000 tons of lethal gas to use the gas on 25 Japanese cities with a possible 5 million Japanese deaths because the Japanese were planning on fighting to the last man, woman and child; "suicide vest for all" kinda thing ! The USA figured they were justified in using the gas since Japan had used Chemical warfare agents on China.

Even after the first bomb was dropped there was no surrender so the second bomb was dropped. This made the Emperor decide to call the war off. He was planning on making a radio broadcast to tell the Japanese people the war was over yet even then there were some in the military who tried to do a coup and stop the broadcast.. Luckily the palace guard stopped them. When the Emperor said the war was over his words were god like law.

(08-15-2020, 12:11 PM)727Sky Wrote: Over the years we have been exposed to the revisionist history of how mean and terrible the atomic bombing of Japan was to end the war.

Well there were how many killed in the dropping of the two nuclear devices ? Not as many people died as you might suspect by dropping the first bomb (78,000 initially although many others would die from radiation poisoning; I have seen numbers as high as 140,000) and as far as Nagasaki the initial death toll was around 40,000 due to the city being in mountainous terrain.. Yes more died from radiation poisoning but America lost more dead and wounded taking Okinawa (50,000 dead a wounded) and that was just one small Island.

OK there were plans for the chemical warfare boys who had accumulated 144,000 tons of lethal gas to use the gas on 25 Japanese cities with a possible 5 million Japanese deaths because the Japanese were planning on fighting to the last man, woman and child; "suicide vest for all" kinda thing ! The USA figured they were justified in using the gas since Japan had used Chemical warfare agents on China.

Even after the first bomb was dropped there was no surrender so the second bomb was dropped. This made the Emperor decide to call the war off. He was planning on making a radio broadcast to tell the Japanese people the war was over yet even then there were some in the military who tried to do a coup and stop the broadcast.. Luckily the palace guard stopped them. When the Emperor said the war was over his words were god like law.

Yes  and they did have a 3rd bomb ready to go.  

The Brits even had a dedicated squadron of Lancasters.  The black squadron they called it and had plans to drop the initial bomb.

A lot of untold stories.

Cheers,

Bally:)
(08-15-2020, 12:11 PM)727Sky Wrote: Over the years we have been exposed to the revisionist history of how mean and terrible the atomic bombing of Japan was to end the war.

Well there were how many killed in the dropping of the two nuclear devices ? Not as many people died as you might suspect by dropping the first bomb (78,000 initially although many others would die from radiation poisoning; I have seen numbers as high as 140,000) and as far as Nagasaki the initial death toll was around 40,000 due to the city being in mountainous terrain.. Yes more died from radiation poisoning but America lost more dead and wounded taking Okinawa (50,000

The Army made estimates that if these bombs had not been dropped, Japan might have ended up totally depopulated because they were going with a total war strategy, and the Allies could have lost millions of troops. It was estimated that the beach landings would have been faced with 2:1 odds, if not worse. They were training schookids to use spears, for crying out loud.

It's estimated that the war would not have ended until 1948, at the earliest. Russia would have invaded the home islands; we could have had all the problems with East Germany in Japan, let alone Japan dealing with their "Rapists R Us" MO (Germany). Russia might have taken all of Korea. Dropping those bombs was a horrible but necessary decision.
You bring up a great point on the revisionist history thing. I guess those who wish to bash the US can use it as a cudgel provided no one looks any deeper than the rhetoric.  

A lot of the Japanese military records demonstrate a far greater concern for the Soviets engaging their forces in the East than the dropping of the bombs. 

IMHO, that sentiment proved prescient. The Soviets did not pay any heed to the surrender until after they had secured large swaths of territory.
(08-15-2020, 12:48 PM)drussell41 Wrote: The Army made estimates that if these bombs had not been dropped, Japan might have ended up totally depopulated because they were going with a total war strategy, and the Allies could have lost millions of troops.  It was estimated that the beach landings would have been faced with 2:1 odds, if not worse.  They were training schookids to use spears, for crying out loud.  

It's estimated that the war would not have ended until 1948, at the earliest.   Russia would have invaded the home islands; we could have had all the problems with East Germany in Japan, let alone Japan dealing with their "Rapists R Us" MO (Germany).   Russian might have taken all of Korea.   Dropping those bombs was a horrible but necessary decision.

What scares me is that it sounds like there is no hope of a future without total devastation of the planet.

If the the atomic bomb was dropped to avoid an undesirable outcome due to the unwillingness of a country to give in to defeat, I see no way in Hell the US would ever be taken in military conflict, without all out nuclear war. What do they call it? Total Mutual Annihilation.

It makes being taken over from within look pretty good and an alternative to glowing in the dark or covering the planet with ashes.

I used to think there just were not enough crazy people in power to allow that to happen. I am not as confident anymore.

We have to change the new theme song from "We Are All In This Together " to "We Are All Going To Die Together".

Forgive my poor humor. I still believe the good folk will not be taken in by those that have evil plans to destroy us or make us destroy each other. Unfortunately, it will not come easy and it won't be without a fight. It is like a fellow Rogue said, we are going to have to take out some trash.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(08-15-2020, 03:51 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 12:48 PM)drussell41 Wrote: The Army made estimates that if these bombs had not been dropped, Japan might have ended up totally depopulated because they were going with a total war strategy, and the Allies could have lost millions of troops.  It was estimated that the beach landings would have been faced with 2:1 odds, if not worse.  They were training schookids to use spears, for crying out loud.  

It's estimated that the war would not have ended until 1948, at the earliest.   Russia would have invaded the home islands; we could have had all the problems with East Germany in Japan, let alone Japan dealing with their "Rapists R Us" MO (Germany).   Russian might have taken all of Korea.   Dropping those bombs was a horrible but necessary decision.

What scares me is that it sounds like there is no hope of a future without total devastation of the planet.

If the the atomic bomb was dropped to avoid an undesirable outcome due to the unwillingness of a country to give in to defeat, I see no way in Hell the US would ever be taken in military conflict, without all out nuclear war. What do they call it? Total Mutual Annihilation.

It makes being taken over from within look pretty good and an alternative to glowing in the dark or covering the planet with ashes.

I used to think there just were not enough crazy people in power to allow that to happen. I am not as confident anymore.

We have to change the new theme song from "We Are All In This Together " to "We Are All Going To Die Together".

Forgive my poor humor. I still believe the good folk will not be taken in by those that have evil plans to destroy us or make us destroy each other. Unfortunately, it will not come easy and it won't be without a fight. It is like a fellow Rogue said, we are going to have to take out some trash.

I don't think they knew as much about those weapons then as they do now.  However, it (utter destruction) is always a threat when dealing with people who are okay with total war.

I think that if the US falls, it will be from the rot within....not militarily and not MAD either.
(08-15-2020, 08:11 PM)drussell41 Wrote: I don't think they knew as much about those weapons then as they do now.  However, it (utter destruction) is always a threat when dealing with people who are okay with total war.

I think that if the US falls, it will be from the rot within....not militarily and not MAD either.

I hope you are right and I pray that we aren't as stupid as they think we are.

I know it doesn't sound like it sometimes when I post, but I really do believe most people don't live off hate and fear. I truly believe they just want peace, comfort, and a happy life for their children, in a world where they will be accepted, well received, and a chance at a solid and sustainable future.

Those in power have been there from the beginning and have always been eager to sacrifice the peasants to continue their rule. Historically there have been entire towns, villages, and cities, forfeited in that quest. They live for one thing, and that is to maintain power and control. Of course they also obtain amusement out of playing us as their minions and idiots. Social media provides the jester of our day

We know that a snake will bite you, so why we keep thinking by placing them against our chest, we will be safe from the inevitable bite and the toxin it carries, is a constant conundrum for me.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(08-15-2020, 08:47 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 08:11 PM)drussell41 Wrote: I don't think they knew as much about those weapons then as they do now.  However, it (utter destruction) is always a threat when dealing with people who are okay with total war.

I hope you are right and I pray that we aren't as stupid as they think we are.

I know it doesn't sound like it sometimes when I post, but I really do believe most people don't live off hate and fear. I truly believe they just want peace, comfort, and a happy life for their children, in a world where they will be accepted, well received, and a chance at a solid and sustainable future.

Those in power have been there from the beginning and have always been eager to sacrifice the peasants to continue their rule. Historically there have been entire towns, villages, and cities, forfeited in that quest. They live for one thing, and that is to maintain power and control. Of course they also obtain amusement out of playing us as their minions and idiots. Social media provides the jester of our day

We know that a snake will bite you, so why we keep thinking by placing them against our chest, we will be safe from the inevitable bite and the toxin it carries, is a constant conundrum for me.

Yes.
(08-15-2020, 12:27 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Yes  and they did have a 3rd bomb ready to go.  

The Brits even had a dedicated squadron of Lancasters.  The black squadron they called it and had plans to drop the initial bomb.

A lot of untold stories.

Cheers,

Bally:)

(08-15-2020, 12:11 PM)727Sky Wrote: Even after the first bomb was dropped there was no surrender so the second bomb was dropped. 

There was no way to call in the nuclear event ... no comms.

The Bombing of Tokyo was conducted on the night of 9–10 March 1945, the single most destructive bombing raid in human history.  Of central Tokyo 16 square miles were destroyed, leaving an estimated 100,000 civilians dead and over one million homeless.  The fires burned so hot ... glass widows melted, making me believe the death toll was much higher than reported.

I'd guess that the immediate cessation of comms ... coupled with the lack of reporting of mass waves of bombers ... caused the Japs to go ... WTF?

I read a story once of a dude who survived both bombings.  Tell me that's not bad-ass!!
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-16-2020, 03:43 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 12:11 PM)727Sky Wrote: Even after the first bomb was dropped there was no surrender so the second bomb was dropped. 

There was no way to call in the nuclear event ... no comms.

The Bombing of Tokyo was conducted on the night of 9–10 March 1945, the single most destructive bombing raid in human history.  Of central Tokyo 16 square miles were destroyed, leaving an estimated 100,000 civilians dead and over one million homeless.  The fires burned so hot ... glass widows melted, making me believe the death toll was much higher than reported.

I'd guess that the immediate cessation of comms ... coupled with the lack of reporting of mass waves of bombers ... caused the Japs to go ... WTF?

I read a story once of a dude who survived both bombings.  Tell me that's not bad-ass!!

Wonder how twitchy that guy became.