Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
A nasty Ant - "The Jack Jumper"
Jesus.  Cant think of anything worse than jumping ants and big fuck off centipedes.  Sometimes I'd love to live overseas.  But then I'm glad I dont because of those  minusculebonker.  Take care minusculebeercheers
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8031]
(08-08-2020, 09:35 PM)Bally002 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 06:36 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 08:26 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 04:03 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Came into this thread expecting to say "Ha!  I've got a rival for you here in the US!

The Velvet Ant, aka Cow Killer:

[Image: 9urbrvU.jpg]

But nevermind, as I read what your ants do, jump on you and attack, I admit defeat.  These velvet ants are generally hard-to-find ground dwelling wasps and not aggressive unless handled.

I saw something that looked like that once in NC. I was standing guard duty outside a bank, and saw a fuzzy red ant that looked like that, but the little bastard was about 2 inches long! I thought, "well that's the biggest damned ant I ever saw, and it's fuzzy and red to boot!" Never saw one like it before, or since, so I figured I should maybe quit drinking or something, as it seemed to be having permanent effects even when I was sober. Thank God I talked myself out of THAT!

Had a neighbor who served in Vietnam who'd occasional tell me a war story.  He talked about these centipedes they had, they'd toss grenades at them.  I thought that was a bit much until....

[Image: 9dd6be6bbb30157ab13a3e7b73a7934b.jpg]

Yup, I don't blame him, I'd definitely shoot that thing.

Now I'm spooked.  I have the mini me version of those in the timber I cut.  Biggest would be about 8 inches that I've seen.  Once out in the open the native butcher birds and Kookaburras make short work of them and the wichetty grubs.

Cheers,

Bally

Same here, in Pennsylvania we have tiny versions of them, out west though they have the giant desert centipede, but it's still nothing like that.  Pretty much a walking set of venomous fangs lol
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(08-07-2020, 03:24 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: (Goes and pulls out wish list of places to visit.  Finds Australia. Scratches Australia off list.)   tinyfunny

Yep! As much as I want to visit Australia, @Bally002 is just scaring the hell outta me!  minusculebonker
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(08-09-2020, 04:38 AM)ChiefD Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 03:24 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: (Goes and pulls out wish list of places to visit.  Finds Australia. Scratches Australia off list.)   tinyfunny

Yep! As much as I want to visit Australia, @Bally002 is just scaring the hell outta me!  minusculebonker

Take it from an old 'pusser'.  (Pronounced 'pus' as in terms of a weeping wound.)

The Colloquial Terms of 'Pusser' meaning 'a sailor of the Royal or Australian Navy or 'Pussers' meaning The Navy itself is a corruption of the word Purser and these terms are still used to this day.

I'd look after you's if you visited these shores.

Kind regards,

Bally:)
(08-09-2020, 01:57 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 04:03 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Came into this thread expecting to say "Ha!  I've got a rival for you here in the US!

But nevermind, as I read what your ants do, jump on you and attack, I admit defeat.  These velvet ants are generally hard-to-find ground dwelling wasps and not aggressive unless handled.

I saw something that looked like that once in NC. I was standing guard duty outside a bank, and saw a fuzzy red ant that looked like that, but the little bastard was about 2 inches long! I thought, "well that's the biggest damned ant I ever saw, and it's fuzzy and red to boot!" Never saw one like it before, or since, so I figured I should maybe quit drinking or something, as it seemed to be having permanent effects even when I was sober. Thank God I talked myself out of THAT!

Had a neighbor who served in Vietnam who'd occasional tell me a war story.  He talked about these centipedes they had, they'd toss grenades at them.  I thought that was a bit much until....

Now I'm spooked.  I have the mini me version of those in the timber I cut.  Biggest would be about 8 inches that I've seen.  Once out in the open the native butcher birds and Kookaburras make short work of them and the wichetty grubs.

Cheers,

Bally

Same here, in Pennsylvania we have tiny versions of them, out west though they have the giant desert centipede, but it's still nothing like that.  Pretty much a walking set of venomous fangs lol

I always shake out my clothes before donning them. It's an old habit from my jungle days, for spiders, scorpions, and centipedes. Here in this house, one morning in July or August 2015, I shook one of those bastards out of my pants. Damned glad I shook it out. It was only 4" long or so, but still venomous.

My cat loves my daily ritual of donning the boots. She thinks it's serious business, and "helps" me beat them on the floor to loosen interlopers before shaking them out. She swats at the boots like they were her enemy while I'm smacking them on the deck.

No, I don't think she actually loves me. I think she just likes killing stuff.

Cats is cats.

On the plus side, in the first year I was here, I shook 20 spiders out of my boots.  In the second year, 23 spiders. In the third year, after the cat came to live with us, zero. Every year after that, so far, has also been zero spiders.

She may not really love me, but she's still good for business!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-09-2020, 07:36 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 01:57 AM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

Cheers,

Bally

I always shake out my clothes before donning them. It's an old habit from my jungle days, for spiders, scorpions, and centipedes. Here in this house, one morning in July or August 2015, I shook one of those bastards out of my pants. Damned glad I shook it out. It was only 4" long or so, but still venomous.

My cat loves my daily ritual of donning the boots. She thinks it's serious business, and "helps" me beat them on the floor to loosen interlopers before shaking them out. She swats at the boots like they were her enemy while I'm smacking them on the deck.

No, I don't think she actually loves me. I think she just likes killing stuff.

Cats is cats.

On the plus side, in the first year I was here, I shook 20 spiders out of my boots.  In the second year, 23 spiders. In the third year, after the cat came to live with us, zero. Every year after that, so far, has also been zero spiders.

She may not really love me, but she's still good for business!

That's why I love cats, they are miniature tigers.

Even a 4" centipede, you'd feel that for sure.  The biggest one I found in Pennsylvania was maybe 2-3", but it still had much bigger fangs than a wolf spider, not to mention the venom.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(08-09-2020, 03:21 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: That's why I love cats, they are miniature tigers.

Even a 4" centipede, you'd feel that for sure.  The biggest one I found in Pennsylvania was maybe 2-3", but it still had much bigger fangs than a wolf spider, not to mention the venom.

This cat is certain she's a mountain lion. I don't think she even knows she's miniature - she seems to think she's a full sized mountain lion.

Centipede fangs are actually their first pair of legs, suitably modified to deliver death and venom.

We have pretty large millipedes here, too. They're herbivores, and not dangerous, but dayum we've got some big ones! A couple years ago, I found one in the road that had been hit by a car. It was about 8" long and as big around as my thumb. No idea if it caused any damage to the car that hit it, but it was tough enough that it wasn't mashed flat...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’