Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Crummy Laptop Is Dying
I have a crummy, broken down, five year old, HP I5 Intel Core laptop. It has been dying for a while. My sister hates it because all the letters on the keyboard have worn off, so if you need to see the letters to type, you are screwed. After years of having to input data into a computer, the letters on the keyboard are not needed, for me. So I don't even notice they are gone.

The battery is dead and won't hold a charge, but I refuse to buy a new one because every time I do, the computer dies and I have to buy a new computer, then I am stuck with an expensive battery that I can't use. The top won't close. It is slow as dishwater running down a clogged drain, and occasionally makes a disgusting clicking noise.

I am also at the same time, dealing with an old Samsung Halo that will suddenly start flashing rainbow colors on the screen and becomes totally unresponsive. So far hard booting it will bring it back for a week or two, before it does it again.

I hate spending money on electronics and have not bought a cell phone in well over ten years. I take my family's old phones when they get upgrades. Now that they are requesting returns on upgrades, I may be looking at having to do a new phone, which I will not pay more than fifty dollars for. I loved my flip phone but my job requires that I have a device that will accept and send pdf files so that is a basic demand for what ever phone I buy.

So it is just a matter of time before I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new computer and a new phone.

Suggestions on the ones with the most bang for the buck are welcomed.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Hi @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

OK, first, you can leave your laptop plugged in and change to a new battery I think, I did my old Dell and It did not go off.
You can get batteries cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

Have you tired any of the Free programs from IObit? IObit store all is free 
You don't have to buy any of these, they have free versions and you can download and use any time you want and they'll tell you when there is an update for you to download.
My husband uses the products on all three desktops and 3 laptops keeps them running great.

You might try this one first Updates drivers and Core 
Then Cleans programs

Then there are other programs.
Check it out if you haven't already.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-04-2020, 10:18 PM)guohua Wrote: Hi @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

OK, first, you can leave your laptop plugged in and change to a new battery I think, I did my old Dell and It did not go off.
You can get batteries cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

Have you tired any of the Free programs from IObit? IObit store all is free 
You don't have to buy any of these, they have free versions and you can download and use any time you want and they'll tell you when there is an update for you to download.
My husband uses the products on all three desktops and 3 laptops keeps them running great.

You might try this one first Updates drivers and Core 
Then Cleans programs

Then there are other programs.
Check it out if you haven't already.

Not familiar with IObit. Will look into it.
Thanks.

• minusculebeercheers 

I've always had luck with basic Chromebooks, I don't use them for games or anything so I never needed a "high-powered" one.

I don't even currently have a real computer, just my Galaxy phone.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(08-04-2020, 10:49 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I've always had luck with basic Chromebooks, I don't use them for games or anything so I never needed a "high-powered" one.

Thanks. I will look into them, but I don't trust Google.

• minusculebeercheers 

I bought my tracfone and a year's worth of minutes and data for $99 on QVC two years ago. They were having a Christmas special. Only thing I ever had to refill were my text minutes. I can buy around 1500 texts for $10.

I've never found a better deal, and I love my phone. It's a tad bigger than regular cell phones, so it's easier to read. Has all the bells and whistles (that I never use) too.  I do all my online stuff on my desktop. Never could navigate the phone to do it that way. I'm sure I could learn, but why should I?
I use straight talk for phones and phone service. You can get some pretty good deals on smart phones, if you are willing to upgrade. 

Bet you could get a really good deal on a laptop right now with back to school specials. I have had this HP laptop for 3 years and it has served me well, for $250. 

Got an Amazon account? 

https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/en/st...lsrc=aw.ds
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(08-04-2020, 09:56 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I have a crummy, broken down, five year old, HP I5 Intel Core laptop. It has been dying for a while. My sister hates it because all the letters on the keyboard have worn off, so if you need to see the letters to type, you are screwed. After years of having to input data into a computer, the letters on the keyboard are not needed, for me. So I don't even notice they are gone.

The battery is dead and won't hold a charge, but I refuse to buy a new one because every time I do, the computer dies and I have to buy a new computer, then I am stuck with an expensive battery that I can't use. The top won't close. It is slow as dishwater running down a clogged drain, and occasionally makes a disgusting clicking noise.

I am also at the same time, dealing with an old Samsung Halo that will suddenly start flashing rainbow colors on the screen and becomes totally unresponsive. So far hard booting it will bring it back for a week or two, before it does it again.

I hate spending money on electronics and have not bought a cell phone in well over ten years. I take my family's old phones when they get upgrades. Now that they are requesting returns on upgrades, I may be looking at having to do a new phone, which I will not pay more than fifty dollars for. I loved my flip phone but my job requires that I have a device that will accept and send pdf files so that is a basic demand for what ever phone I buy.

So it is just a matter of time before I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new computer and a new phone.

Suggestions on the ones with the most bang for the buck are welcomed.

It sounds like your current machinery may be having overheating issues. The "disgusting clicking noise" is probably a fan scrubbing, and the color enhancement issue may be down to an overheating graphics module. Opening them and cleaning out dust may help, or it may not. Depends on how far gone they are.

I gave 230 bucks for this Dell laptop on e-bay 3 or 4 years ago, and it's still ticking, although it has now developed an intermittent fan-scrub too. It was a refurbished former business laptop, which is why I got it at that price.

I can't help much with the cell phones. I scrub mine as soon as I get them until there aren't any functions left that are not telephone-speech-related. I have a new one, still in the shipping box that Grace got for me 6 or 8 months ago, and I have yet to even open it. I dread having to scrub out all the "smart" BS from it, so there it sits.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-04-2020, 11:17 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 10:49 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: I've always had luck with basic Chromebooks, I don't use them for games or anything so I never needed a "high-powered" one.

Thanks. I will look into them, but I don't trust Google.

Ebay has lapTops cheap Ebay laptop as little as $212.99
It is a cheap ACER, but I've used one and still have it after 8 years, my husband replaced the battery and we gave to our daughter.
Walmart.com has refurbished Dell laptops for $185.00  Walmart dell computers
(08-05-2020, 04:14 AM)guohua Wrote: Ebay has lapTops cheap Ebay laptop as little as $212.99
It is a cheap ACER, but I've used one and still have it after 8 years, my husband replaced the battery and we gave to our daughter.
Walmart.com has refurbished Dell laptops for $185.00  Walmart dell computers

I have had good luck with ACERs in the past. Thanks.

• minusculebeercheers 

I use an ASUS laptop and have liked it so far.

One key thing with laptops.  Get a ventilation (fan) system that sits under the computer.  Keeping the laptop cool gives it a much longer service life.

Samsung smart phones seem to be okay.  I honestly don't like smart phones because Boogle and Crapple have monopolized the distribution of apps.  That whole thing cries out for massive antitrust action, but the government seems unconcerned.

And yet (always a "yet"), some of the functionality on the smart phone is really useful.  The damned things grow on you.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(08-05-2020, 09:08 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: I use an ASUS laptop and have liked it so far.

One key thing with laptops.  Get a ventilation (fan) system that sits under the computer.  Keeping the laptop cool gives it a much longer service life.

Samsung smart phones seem to be okay.  I honestly don't like smart phones because Boogle and Crapple have monopolized the distribution of apps.  That whole thing cries out for massive antitrust action, but the government seems unconcerned.

And yet (always a "yet"), some of the functionality on the smart phone is really useful.  The damned things grow on you.

Cheers

Thanks.

I had an ASUS many years ago, it was the only laptop that had no trouble with my all my external hard drives and had no trouble with audio conversions. That was back when they first came on the scene and were really cheap.

• minusculebeercheers 

@"NightskyeB4Dawn" 
I would download those free programs before you spend the money.
You could need a new BIOS update or other drivers and the Driver Booster will find and download them for you for free.
(08-05-2020, 09:22 PM)guohua Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 
You could need a new BIOS update or other drivers and the Driver Booster will find and download them for you for free.

Thank you. There very few things I hate as much as spending money.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-05-2020, 09:22 PM)guohua Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn" 

I tried the fix, but now my touch screen doesn't work and the computer ignores most of the mouse functions, except scroll, which it does now at the speed of light. 

It was ignoring mouse functions before, off and on, but now it is doing it all the time. I am so frustrated with the darn thing. 

I don't like tablets for work, and I hate them for webinars and for streaming. I was able to connect the laptop to my TV but only used it when I needed to multi task or if I have to share the meetings with others. Otherwise I prefer not to use the TV.

I have my cheapie cell phone which I hate, but it keeps me connected.  

Maybe the electronic world is communicating with me. Maybe it is kicking me to the curve. 

Time to go rummaging in my Brother's cast offs. I am sure he has something over there I can salvage.

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-05-2020, 10:03 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: Thank you. There very few things I hate as much as spending money.

As a 'retired IT professional' it sounds like:

1. Do what @"Ninurta" suggested: Blow that sucker clear of all the dust that's collected over time.  If you don't have a compressed air tank (not that shitty canned air stuff ... I'm talking a SCUBA tank) with a hose & fitting that lets you direct the air ... or ... if you won't disassemble the laptop to the point where you can direct that compressed air across the internals (directly) ...
2. You're buying a new machine.

Avoid buying a laptop unless you absolutely must have that portability.  It's usually heat that seals a laptop's fate.  Most home-users regret ever trying to open the cases of their laptops, BTW.  You'd be amazed by how much 'invisible' dust accumulates in your electronics.  You put that compressed air on someone's motherboard and a literal cloud of dust fills the air ... so be outside if you try this.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Okay, the plot thickens. I picked up my laptop to take it outside. I don't move it much because it has to stay plugged up for me to use it. 

This fell off.

[Image: laptop-screw-1.jpg][Image: laptop-screw-2.jpg]

I found one like it a couple of months ago. I didn't know where it came from. Now I know. The darn thing is falling part!

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-06-2020, 02:46 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I don't move it much because it has to stay plugged up for me to use it.

At least you're not pulling out your hair.

Now ... with all the good advice provided ... you're going to buy a DESKTOP as a replacement ... true??
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-06-2020, 08:24 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 02:46 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I don't move it much because it has to stay plugged up for me to use it.

Now ... with all the good advice provided ... you're going to buy a DESKTOP as a replacement ... true??

Well, since since my laptop has been a desktop for nearly six months, why not?

• minusculebeercheers 

(08-06-2020, 08:51 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:24 PM)Snarl Wrote:

Well, since since my laptop has been a desktop for nearly six months, why not?

There are desktop's here for under $500. Amazon
Best Buy
This is the best buy I have seen and free shipping EBay