Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Seattle, Wa. Do you think this is wise?
The City Council of Seattle, Wa. I really would like to know if this is a smart move?
Quote:If You Thought 'Defund the Police' Was Insane You'll Love 'Abolish Prisons' in Seattle

Closing the Jail, Adult and Juvenile Detention building is a Good Idea? How are you going to detain and house Criminals?

Quote:Seattle is in King County, and the County Executive’s Office is moving ahead with plans to “abolish prisons.” A leaked email published by Christopher F. Rufo, contributing editor at City Journal, shows active plans to reduce both adult and juvenile detention and close the county jail in Seattle. The juvenile detention center would be converted to house other programs by 2025. According to Rufo, this plan will eliminate 60% of the county’s jail capacity.

Meanwhile, Seattle’s City Council has majority support—at least seven of the nine members—to slash the police department budget by 50%.
Mayor Jenny Durkan has said she would veto this drastic cut, supporting Police Chief Carmen Best.

Durkan has committed to cutting $76 million of the $400 million budget,” however.

Oddly, the “Summer of Love” mayor may be the only bulwark against complete insanity.
Source

Have those Seven City Council Members had their Mental Stability Checked? OH, Wait they live in Gated Communities with Armed Security, I'm Sure!
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
This is so stupid that blood actually shot from my eye and hit the screen of my laptop.

tinyok
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-27-2020, 01:19 AM)beez Wrote: This is so stupid that blood actually shot from my eye and hit the screen of my laptop.

tinyok

Cool  tinywhat did you get a Screen Shot for us?  smallroflmao

Yeah, These people are going to but their City out of Business with so much crime that no one with a business with be able to afford insurance. JMHO
"Seriously?"
"Sounds like something I should have done!"
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: SIG-Aug-20-2022.png]
Next up:
Seattle’s City Council  bans the use of locks on doors  of homes and businesses.

Reading shit like that is what makes me Thank God multiple times a day for living in Canada.

Seriously.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-27-2020, 02:18 AM)Sol Wrote: Reading shit like that is what makes me Thank God multiple times a day for living in Canada.

Seriously.

I can't blame you for feeling that was, BUT, I would be concerned with the amount of influence China is having over your, Precious Metals Industries in Canada, looks like the purchase of a gold mine in the Canadian Arctic region by a state run Chinese company is how China is expanding its presence in regions of Canada.
But your Government still needs to OK the purchase, so maybe Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will think this is not a good idea and stop the deal.
My husband has heard talk of Canadians in your government being worried that Canada will be controlled by China much like Australia.
It's stuff like this article that makes me just stare at the computer screen all dazed and confused, because that type of thinking is so far removed from my reality, I can't comprehend their thought process.   tinywhat
Is this the same juvenile detention center that was torched last night?

[/url][url=https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/seattle-protesters-set-fire-to-juvenile-detention-center-construction-site/article32195183.ece]https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/seattle-protesters-set-fire-to-juvenile-detention-center-construction-site/article32195183.ece

I would put money on this stuff happening to solicit a counter response from Americans who have had enough of the destruction, mayhem, and a duplicitous media fanning the flames.

Whenever that happens, the narrative will read something like "angelic peaceful protesters confronted by right-wing, Nazi sympathizing, baby eaters. Suspend the Constitution now!!!  Lock 'em up!!!"
(07-27-2020, 02:46 AM)guohua Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 02:18 AM)Sol Wrote: Reading shit like that is what makes me Thank God multiple times a day for living in Canada.

Seriously.

I can't blame you for feeling that was, BUT, I would be concerned with the amount of influence China is having over your, Precious Metals Industries in Canada, looks like the purchase of a gold mine in the Canadian Arctic region by a state run Chinese company is how China is expanding its presence in regions of Canada.
But your Government still needs to OK the purchase, so maybe Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will think this is not a good idea and stop the deal.
My husband has heard talk of Canadians in your government being worried that Canada will be controlled by China much like Australia.

The relations between Canada and China aren't at their best at the moment. And I personally don't think they're going to get better anytime soon.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-27-2020, 03:08 AM)Sol Wrote:

Seriously.

The relations between Canada and China aren't at their best at the moment. And I personally don't think they're going to get better anytime soon.

Great!
I'd hate to have Canada in the situation Australia is in.
(07-27-2020, 03:06 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: Is this the same juvenile detention center that was torched last night?

[/url][url=https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/seattle-protesters-set-fire-to-juvenile-detention-center-construction-site/article32195183.ece]https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/seattle-protesters-set-fire-to-juvenile-detention-center-construction-site/article32195183.ece

I would put money on this stuff happening to solicit a counter response from Americans who have had enough of the destruction, mayhem, and a duplicitous media fanning the flames.

Whenever that happens, the narrative will read something like "angelic peaceful protesters confronted by right-wing, Nazi sympathizing, baby eaters. Suspend the Constitution now!!!  Lock 'em up!!!"

Yes, I agree. I think they are trying to push things into a civil war. That would cause President Trump to have to use the insurgency act to get order. The Left would love that, then they could call him the dictator they've brainwashed the Left to believe he is.
What's he suppose to do? Let the cities burn?  Let all the businesses, the livelihood of the citizens just be destroyed? People killed?

But, it won't matter what happens, the media will spin it as Orange Man Bad.
(07-27-2020, 03:13 AM)guohua Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 03:08 AM)Sol Wrote:

Seriously.

Great!
I'd hate to have Canada in the situation Australia is in.

I would love to know what you perceive the situation in Australia to be .
@"hutch622" 
Quote:I would love to know what you perceive the situation in Australia to be .

Excellent, Thank You coming replying.
China has Flooded your Colleges and Universities with Chinese students.
What I understand from my old comrades still in the MSS is this.
China or I should say the CCP is Donating a Great Deal of Money into the Pockets of the Alumni.

Much like America's Universities and Colleges.

However the question of how Australia should manage its relationship with China has new urgency when when I heard about Beijing’s attempts to influence Australian politics and interfere with civil society debate. 
Is this True?
First came revelations about large political donations from ethnic Chinese linked to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) that were being used to try to alter the China policy of major Australian political parties. I think this was last year.

One popular politician was put out of parliament after it was revealed that he pandered to Chinese language media on South China Sea policy and warned his CCP linked political patron about government surveillance. 
Then came questions about China’s growing influence in Australian Universities and about CCP linked efforts to co-opt Chinese language media and civic groups in the Chinese Australian Community. 

It all comes down to Money and Greed and Politicians are Power Crazy and Greedy! Do you agree?

China has the Money to Bribe these people, why?
For more the 25 years America has made China one of the Wealthiest Countries On Earth!
They are using their Wealth to Spy and Steal and Control.

Sorry, did My Husband and Myself upset you?
The non dramatic version of the Seattle story minus the hyperbole.....

Quote: The letter says after the pandemic has been brought under control, there will be a phased closure of the jail. Constantine said that the 34-year-old structure is obsolete and too costly to maintain.

Instead of outlining plans for building a new jail, the Constantine supports programs for "prevention, diversion, rehabilitation and harm reduction."

At a press conference on Wednesday, Constantine said the county must "reimagine" the facilities "in light of the realities of today.”

“Three out of every four dollars in county general fund is spent on courts and crime and corrections," Constantine said. "People are talking a lot about defunding the police, but we are paying an entire legal system money that could be better used to promote opportunity, and human potential and, yes safety.”

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph asked the county where those inmates would go as she worried they would be moved into the facility in her city, which she said could possibly lead to safety concerns from businesses and residents.

In a statement, Ralph said the Deputy County Executive Rachel Smith assured her that "the Kent facility would not see an increase in jail population" and that "the Seattle facility may change its model to a more therapeutic model, but that the physical location would remain in Seattle."

Ralph also stated that "the County has assured us that they intend to be a good partner with the City moving forward and would have early planning conversations if they intended to impact the Kent community with their logistical choices."

As for the fate of the Clark Children and Family Justice Center, Constantine announced on Twitter that he will commit to converting the youth detention units to other uses no later than 2025.
tinybiggrin tinybiggrin tinybiggrin
internet Agent Provocateur
(07-27-2020, 04:00 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: The non dramatic version of the Seattle story minus the hyperbole.....

Quote: The letter says after the pandemic has been brought under control, there will be a phased closure of the jail. Constantine said that the 34-year-old structure is obsolete and too costly to maintain.

Instead of outlining plans for building a new jail, the Constantine supports programs for "prevention, diversion, rehabilitation and harm reduction."

At a press conference on Wednesday, Constantine said the county must "reimagine" the facilities "in light of the realities of today.”

“Three out of every four dollars in county general fund is spent on courts and crime and corrections," Constantine said. "People are talking a lot about defunding the police, but we are paying an entire legal system money that could be better used to promote opportunity, and human potential and, yes safety.”

Kent Mayor Dana Ralph asked the county where those inmates would go as she worried they would be moved into the facility in her city, which she said could possibly lead to safety concerns from businesses and residents.

In a statement, Ralph said the Deputy County Executive Rachel Smith assured her that "the Kent facility would not see an increase in jail population" and that "the Seattle facility may change its model to a more therapeutic model, but that the physical location would remain in Seattle."

Ralph also stated that "the County has assured us that they intend to be a good partner with the City moving forward and would have early planning conversations if they intended to impact the Kent community with their logistical choices."

As for the fate of the Clark Children and Family Justice Center, Constantine announced on Twitter that he will commit to converting the youth detention units to other uses no later than 2025.    
tinybiggrin  tinybiggrin   

So, the construction site of the new juvenile detention center burning is too dramatic? To me the photos and videos are not hyperbole.  

https://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio...195183.ece

The media can obfuscate all they want. It doesn't change the reality of what happened. It's simply disingenuous to maintain the position violence is not violence because you want it to be that way.
(07-27-2020, 06:08 AM)ABNARTY Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 04:00 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: The non dramatic version of the Seattle story minus the hyperbole.....

tinybiggrin  tinybiggrin   

So, the construction site of the new juvenile detention center burning is too dramatic? To me the photos and videos are not hyperbole.  

https://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio...195183.ece

The media can obfuscate all they want. It doesn't change the reality of what happened. It's simply disingenuous to maintain the position violence is not violence because you want it to be that way.

It's said, nothing happens in a vacuum. Nothing. The key is to have a dialogue before things devolve. When you dont, it's been my experience they do, devolve I mean. Cause and effect are a real thing. You can't have one sided respect. I remember as a child when no one cared about others opinions and it often turned into fistfights amongst the boys and some ugly backbiting amongst the girls. If we all want to get past the churlish BS, we all need to respect one another, grow up and be fair. When this passed as it surely will, I pray we remember it and what caused it. History forgotten seems to repeat itself. People want to b e happy, IMHO. To accomplish that, we need mutual respect and fairness. Without it, we'll revisit this again and again and again.

tinybiggrin  tinybiggrin  tinybiggrin

I suppose "non-dramatic" is one way of putting it... but "sugar coated bullshit" is another, if one bothers to read between the lines and try to reconcile the discrepancies and contradictions internal to the story.

For example, in one place it says 

Quote:Ralph said the Deputy County Executive Rachel Smith assured her that "the Kent facility would not see an increase in jail population" and that "the Seattle facility may change its model to a more therapeutic model, but that the physical location would remain in Seattle." 

but in another it says 

Quote:Ralph also stated that "the County has assured us that they intend to be a good partner with the City moving forward and would have early planning conversations if they intended to impact the Kent community with their logistical choices.

- so which is it? Will Kent be impacted, or will it not? The story quoted attempts to have it both ways.

Another example: 

Quote:The letter says after the pandemic has been brought under control, there will be a phased closure of the jail. Constantine said that the 34-year-old structure is obsolete and too costly to maintain. 

and - 

Quote:As for the fate of the Clark Children and Family Justice Center, Constantine announced on Twitter that he will commit to converting the youth detention units to other uses no later than 2025.   

so are the units too expensive to jail folks in, but not to expensive to "convert to other uses"?

Like I said, I suppose "non-dramatic" IS one way of putting it when the government says "we're going to stop housing detainees", but that does not sound very much more comforting than "we're going to close jails" - both say the same thing, but in different words.

Sugar-coated words in one case.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-27-2020, 06:40 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: It's said, nothing happens in a vacuum. Nothing. The key is to have a dialogue before things devolve. When you dont, it's been my experience they do, devolve I mean.   Cause and effect are a real thing. You can't have one sided respect.  I remember as a child when no one cared about others opinions and it often turned into fistfights amongst the boys and some ugly backbiting amongst the girls. If we all want to get past the churlish BS, we all need to respect one another, grow up and be fair. When this passed as it surely will, I pray we remember it and what caused it. History forgotten seems to repeat itself. People want to b e happy, IMHO. To accomplish that, we need mutual respect and fairness. Without it, we'll revisit this again and again and again.

Wise words.

I'm all for dialog - until the guns come out. At that time, the time for talking is over, and any more words are just a wasted effort. Cities are burning, so it appears, to me at least, that the guns are out, but the marauders are still trying to convince us that dialog is still necessary, while they are busy burning the world down. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced. More talk seems more a distraction and diversionary tactic to me at this point.

In your estimation, what is it that has "caused this" per your last couple of sentences? The rioters are all over the map as to "what caused this", and I'd like to pin it down to find a solution before my own guns come out in response to theirs already being out - if they still want to talk as they claim. So far, their answer to police brutality seems to be an increase in lawlessness and citizen brutality to counter said police brutality and rid us of police protection. Their answer to slavery of 160 years ago is to destroy the history that reminds us of it as a mistake not to be repeated, which to my mind seems counter-productive.

Maybe you see something else as the root cause? I'm open to dialog...

... until the guns come out.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-27-2020, 07:06 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 06:40 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: It's said, nothing happens in a vacuum. Nothing. The key is to have a dialogue before things devolve. When you dont, it's been my experience they do, devolve I mean.   Cause and effect are a real thing. You can't have one sided respect.  I remember as a child when no one cared about others opinions and it often turned into fistfights amongst the boys and some ugly backbiting amongst the girls. If we all want to get past the churlish BS, we all need to respect one another, grow up and be fair. When this passed as it surely will, I pray we remember it and what caused it. History forgotten seems to repeat itself. People want to b e happy, IMHO. To accomplish that, we need mutual respect and fairness. Without it, we'll revisit this again and again and again.

Wise words.

I'm all for dialog - until the guns come out. At that time, the time for talking is over, and any more words are just a wasted effort. Cities are burning, so it appears, to me at least, that the guns are out, but the marauders are still trying to convince us that dialog is still necessary, while they are busy burning the world down. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced. More talk seems more a distraction and diversionary tactic to me at this point.

In your estimation, what is it that has "caused this" per your last couple of sentences? The rioters are all over the map as to "what caused this", and I'd like to pin it down to find a solution before my own guns come out in response to theirs already being out - if they still want to talk as they claim. So far, their answer to police brutality seems to be an increase in lawlessness and citizen brutality to counter said police brutality and rid us of police protection. Their answer to slavery of 160 years ago is to destroy the history that reminds us of it as a mistake not to be repeated, which to my mind seems counter-productive.

Maybe you see something else as the root cause? I'm open to dialog...

... until the guns come out.

Most of your bullet points are rhetorical so I will address the few that aren't. I am not Black and haven't had to live in their world of second class citizenry. They have set the guns down in the past, opened dialogue and found themselves back at square one. They have had their fill of talk. They are done. History has proven revolution yields results. They are following a proven formula. So I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. The cause and effect I spoke of earlier. I'm simply not going to bring up all the reasons for all this arbitrary violence, the sentient understand. This will pass when they feel real change is at hand. Momentum drives them and the media feeds them. They wont give that up. Neither would the Right if they felt their lives were being threatened. This will play out and the question remains, what may we do to change the culture so we never revisit this? That's up to all of us. The Bill of Rights belongs to every American Citizen. It needs to be applied in the manner it is written.