Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rogue Cup Vol 4 A New Lie
(07-10-2020, 09:59 PM)beez Wrote: Umm. . . .  when do we find out?

If Ahabstar gets a clean sweep and we need to go to that random number picking, we might find out who the winner is before Christmas.

tinylaughing
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
I like jello.

tinywondering
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Apologies, had more running around today than intended. 

Number 1. Not a bad guess because who honestly has heard of a full ride scholarship for being in marching band? And yet...it would have taken a full four years to complete the degree. Snarl’s thought of there having been two semesters of denied required courses was also true. The Fall Semester just completed and the upcoming Winter semester. The Fall I accepted because I wasn’t supposed to go to UT. I was going to go to the University of Minnesota as David Keith was the biggest name out of UT and the two departments were worlds apart. UT was the backup plan. Not getting a radio gig through Lamar Alexander as was discussed in the entrance interview (yes, I had one) while he was still President of the University also weighed in on the decision to leave. But in all fairness he had been snatched for Sec of Ed. by Daddy Bush. Now there was a point about no audition which is true and very amazing as almost every snare drummer there either did not make the final cut or was listed as an alternate to various professional drum and bugle corps. I was not at their skill level. So number 1 was true. 

Number 2. No one batted an eye about playing with Lee Greenwood. This is one that Semper doesn’t swallow because I cannot link a shred of proof on the internet. The January 1, 1990 was the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. This was of course a halftime show. As was October 1989 back home in Knoxville. Bonus Trivia: I spoke with Lee Greenwood throughout most of the first and second quarters as he was sitting beside me. Mostly about the game. The plane ride was chartered and as such I am one of the last people to legally smoke on a plane as commercial flights had banned it but chartered flights last day was Dec 31, 1989. Smoked going down on the 29th but not back home on Jan 2. Dec 29 is my birthday and started in a bar in Knoxville and ended in the hotel bar in Dallas, so I had a 25 hour birthday because of the time change. So number 2 is true. 

Number 3 was indeed the lie and there were a few whoppers within it. First and foremost we never even jammed. There was a legitimate invite to come over and jam. But Woody hated both Barnes and Donnie Van Zant as they all graduated together, mostly because of Donnie’s attitude. And a little because he grew up in Ortega which is old money. The party scene in Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed just a couple blocks down the street from the house Woody grew up in. So not only was there no audition, I never went. But most of all, I was never thought of as a “drummer” especially since my only times behind a kit was screwing around with a friend’s kit. I was always considered a percussionist, meaning the tuned/auxiliary instruments such as timpani, xylophone, whip crack, toms, congas, etc. yep even the triangle and tambourine. I can even struggle through with a piano but I suck. Occasionally I will write a bass line on a keyboard, put my cousin on transposing it to his bass or some lyrics. And suggest a different pattern or rhythm on drums...but that’s it. 

Everyone got three, but it had a bigger lies than anyone thought. But Beez is the one that counts here. Congrats. Your turn to spin some yarns.
(07-11-2020, 01:02 AM)Ahabstar Wrote: Apologies, had more running around today than intended. 

Number 1. Not a bad guess because who honestly has heard of a full ride scholarship for being in marching band? And yet...it would have taken a full four years to complete the degree. Snarl’s thought of there having been two semesters of denied required courses was also true. The Fall Semester just completed and the upcoming Winter semester. The Fall I accepted because I wasn’t supposed to go to UT. I was going to go to the University of Minnesota as David Keith was the biggest name out of UT and the two departments were worlds apart. UT was the backup plan. Not getting a radio gig through Lamar Alexander as was discussed in the entrance interview (yes, I had one) while he was still President of the University also weighed in on the decision to leave. But in all fairness he had been snatched for Sec of Ed. by Daddy Bush. Now there was a point about no audition which is true and very amazing as almost every snare drummer there either did not make the final cut or was listed as an alternate to various professional drum and bugle corps. I was not at their skill level. So number 1 was true. 

Number 2. No one batted an eye about playing with Lee Greenwood. This is one that Semper doesn’t swallow because I cannot link a shred of proof on the internet. The January 1, 1990 was the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. This was of course a halftime show. As was October 1989 back home in Knoxville. Bonus Trivia: I spoke with Lee Greenwood throughout most of the first and second quarters as he was sitting beside me. Mostly about the game. The plane ride was chartered and as such I am one of the last people to legally smoke on a plane as commercial flights had banned it but chartered flights last day was Dec 31, 1989. Smoked going down on the 29th but not back home on Jan 2. Dec 29 is my birthday and started in a bar in Knoxville and ended in the hotel bar in Dallas, so I had a 25 hour birthday because of the time change. So number 2 is true. 

Number 3 was indeed the lie and there were a few whoppers within it. First and foremost we never even jammed. There was a legitimate invite to come over and jam. But Woody hated both Barnes and Donnie Van Sant as they all graduated together, mostly because of Donnie’s attitude. And a little because he grew up in Ortega which is old money. The party scene in Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed just a couple blocks down the street from the house Woody grew up in. So not only was there no audition, I never went. But most of all, I was never thought of as a “drummer” especially since my only times behind a kit was screwing around with a friend’s kit. I was always considered a percussionist, meaning the tuned/auxiliary instruments such as timpani, xylophone, whip crack, toms, congas, etc. yep even the triangle and tambourine. I can even struggle through with a piano but I suck. Occasionally I will write a bass line on a keyboard, put my cousin on transposing it to his bass or some lyrics. And suggest a different pattern or rhythm on drums...but that’s it. 

Everyone got three, but it had a bigger lies than anyone thought. But Beez is the one that counts here. Congrats. Your turn to spin some yarns.

Thank you for an enjoyable game!

I promise to rule with kindness and nobility.

tinylaughing tinydrroling
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-11-2020, 01:02 AM)Ahabstar Wrote: Apologies, had more running around today than intended. 

Number 3 was indeed the lie and there were a few whoppers within it. First and foremost we never even jammed. There was a legitimate invite to come over and jam. But Woody hated both Barnes and Donnie Van Zant as they all graduated together, mostly because of Donnie’s attitude. And a little because he grew up in Ortega which is old money. The party scene in Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed just a couple blocks down the street from the house Woody grew up in. So not only was there no audition, I never went. But most of all, I was never thought of as a “drummer” especially since my only times behind a kit was screwing around with a friend’s kit. I was always considered a percussionist, meaning the tuned/auxiliary instruments such as timpani, xylophone, whip crack, toms, congas, etc. yep even the triangle and tambourine. I can even struggle through with a piano but I suck. Occasionally I will write a bass line on a keyboard, put my cousin on transposing it to his bass or some lyrics. And suggest a different pattern or rhythm on drums...but that’s it. 

Thank you for putting up a very interesting match!! You still become the sole runner up at this point, with 20 points. I enjoyed this match a whole lot!!!

Congratulations @"beez" !!! The next Narrator going into the game !!! Better get some solid claims ready there, Mr Bunny!!

I had given my name for Player #2 spot, can't wait to see who will step into the Player #1's shoes !!

@"Snarl" Good game!! Welcome to the 5 points team !! tinyhuh

minusculebeercheers All around!!!
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-11-2020, 01:25 AM)Sol Wrote: @"Snarl"  Good game!! Welcome to the 5 points team !!

Congratulations @"beez".  Thanks for the game @"Ahabstar" (so nice to finally meet ya).

@"hounddoghowlie" might say, "I'll 
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-11-2020, 03:12 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 01:25 AM)Sol Wrote: @"Snarl"  Good game!! Welcome to the 5 points team !!

Congratulations @"beez".  Thanks for the game @"Ahabstar" (so nice to finally meet ya).

Thank you!

It was a fun game

minusculebeercheers
-Abraham Lincoln

you know it's a shame he had such problems, the man knew how to put a tune together.
(07-11-2020, 03:26 AM)beez Wrote:

Thank you!

It was a fun game

minusculebeercheers

here's one for tonight,

more cowbell tinybiggrin