Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rogue Cup Vol 4 A New Lie
Beez and Snarl. I contemplated letting you agree on a choice of topics to be a little different but figured it would be more fun (for me anyway) to keep you guessing. And everyone knows that I entertain myself and just let others along for the ride. 

So for this narration, my lesser known quantity...music. 

1. I was offered a four year full ride scholarship at The University of Tennessee from the band director. 

2. I played with Lee Greenwood. 

3. I auditioned as the new drummer for .38 Special. 

Short and sweet without a large story to distract.
(07-09-2020, 09:37 PM)Ahabstar Wrote: Beez and Snarl. I contemplated letting you agree on a choice of topics to be a little different but figured it would be more fun (for me anyway) to keep you guessing. And everyone knows that I entertain myself and just let others along for the ride. 

1. I was offered a four year full ride scholarship at The University of Tennessee from the band director. 

Wow.  If even two of those are true ... just wow!!  Beez is gonna LOSE.  ROFL
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-09-2020, 09:37 PM)Ahabstar Wrote: Beez and Snarl. I contemplated letting you agree on a choice of topics to be a little different but figured it would be more fun (for me anyway) to keep you guessing. And everyone knows that I entertain myself and just let others along for the ride. 

I guess I go first!

@Snarl LOSE???  NEVER!

Well maybe.

Claim #1.  What was the band director's name?
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-09-2020, 09:57 PM)beez Wrote:

I guess I go first!

@Snarl LOSE???  NEVER!

Well maybe.

Dr. Julian. A very distinctive voice and I did do an impersonation. Which he never heard, obviously.

I guess I go first!

@Snarl LOSE???  NEVER!

Well maybe.

@"Ahabstar" is going for the sweep.  He benefits if we BOTH lose.

Claim #3.  How did this audition with .38 Special come about?
You better run!
Were you in the US Air Force Band?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Dayum...those are solid claims!

Beez & Snarl... Good Luck! (You're gonna need it!!)

tinylaughing
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(07-09-2020, 10:18 PM)Snarl Wrote:

I guess I go first!

@Snarl LOSE???  NEVER!

Well maybe.

@"Ahabstar" is going for the sweep.  He benefits if we BOTH lose.

Claim #3.  How did this audition with .38 Special come about?

1992 Don Barnes rejoined and wanted to get back out touring and back into the studio. Just so happened that he was in a bar in the Riverside area of Jacksonville (because there are no bars in Ortega). Woody, who was a classmate was spotted and approached. Woody mentioned that I played skins after being asked if he still blew harp. Scott Meeder was already out. It ended up going to Scott Hoffman despite my knowing Bob Burns and speaking with him regularly the past couple of years.
(07-09-2020, 10:24 PM)IAMTAT Wrote: Were you in the US Air Force Band?

No. I never served in the military so I was never in any military band. Played the national anthem alongside the Marine Corps Band though.
(07-09-2020, 10:54 PM)Sol Wrote: Dayum...those are solid claims!

Beez & Snarl... Good Luck! (You're gonna need it!!)

tinylaughing

Music is easier than interactions with famous people. Versus acting experiences, as you can see.
(07-09-2020, 09:48 PM)Snarl Wrote:

Claim #2.  How did you "play" with Lee Greenwood?
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-09-2020, 11:19 PM)beez Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 09:48 PM)Snarl Wrote:

Claim #2.  How did you "play" with Lee Greenwood?

He sang God Bless The USA, I and the rest of the Pride of the Southland Band accompanied. This happened on two occasions. October 1989 and January 1990.
(07-09-2020, 10:07 PM)Ahabstar Wrote:

I guess I go first!

@Snarl LOSE???  NEVER!

Well maybe.

Dr. Julian. A very distinctive voice and I did do an impersonation. Which he never heard, obviously.

Question 2
How close were you and Dr. Julian: before, during and after your school years?
You better run!
(07-10-2020, 12:00 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 10:07 PM)Ahabstar Wrote:

I guess I go first!

@Snarl LOSE???  NEVER!

Well maybe.

Question 2
How close were you and Dr. Julian: before, during and after your school years?

Before attending UT, I did not meet Dr. Julian. But I did meet Mr. Sparks who was the assistant band director. Typically there is an audition, especially for the percussion section as there are only The 33 snares, 6 quads, 8 tonal bass drums and 15 cymbals. I had five years marching as I was brought up to the high school marching band in eighth grade and had three years as the quad player. Plus I had to write my own quad parts as our music was only scored for tri-toms. That interview negated any need for an audition. 

During my time there, I cracked a joke about the behavior of the Akron Zips Marching Band that came to Knoxville in their football program’s inaugural season. The joke itself happened after they did a cheer in the stands prior to the pregame show. “Give me a T-U-B-A. What’s that spell? Sousaphone.” Dr. Julian turned his head to shake it at the stupidity. To which I quipped “And now you know why I came to Tennessee instead of going to school in Ohio.” He wandered off without saying a word and came back with Mr. Sparks and Miss Root and had me repeat it to them while he was laughing the entire time I set it up for the quip. 

When I made the decision to withdraw from UT as I could not schedule required theater classes for the second semester in a row. Dr. Julian chewed me out for not coming to him first. And that was when the full ride was offered in exchange for changing my major from theatre to music. 

After UT, I was invited to be in the alumni band for Dr. Julian’s final year. He walked up to me while I was tying new cymbal straps on a pair of cymbals for one of the students. To which he said, tell me you didn’t go back to Akron. And I talked about some of the things I had done in the intervening years. Which includes a few of the things mentioned above...
That’s two questions each. One more for each of you.
(07-09-2020, 09:37 PM)Ahabstar Wrote:   

Claim #3.

Will you describe in detail, your actual audition?
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-10-2020, 12:35 AM)beez Wrote:

Claim #3.

Oh ... yeah!!  That's an eliminator.  Are you sweating Mr. Bunny?  I already know the answer.  Muhwahahahaha.
You better run!
(07-10-2020, 12:48 AM)Snarl Wrote:

Claim #3.

Oh ... yeah!!  That's an eliminator.  Are you sweating Mr. Bunny?  I already know the answer.  Muhwahahahaha.

MISTER Snarl, I to, have a clue.

tinywondering
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-10-2020, 12:52 AM)beez Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 12:48 AM)Snarl Wrote:

Claim #3.

MISTER Snarl, I to, have a clue.

tinywondering

Thank Heavens!!  This is a game of deceit ... and I was deceiving.  LOL. I am already jonesing to see your conclusion.

It's been a good contest so far, Sir!!
You better run!
These games are always fun!

tinybiggrin
-Abraham Lincoln