Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Letters from a Farmer 1767
Very interesting read regarding the prelude to the Declaration of Independence. 

Quote:The start of John Dickinson’s career as the “Penman of the Revolution” began with a political pamphlet titled “The Late Regulations” which expressed Dickinson’s thoughts on the Revenue Act (Sugar Acts) of 1764 which raised taxes on sugar. Many Americans, including John, felt Parliament was threatening the rights of the colonies and the “Acts,” if carried out, would disturb the American economy.

Soon after, during the Stamp Act Crisis in 1765, Dickinson was a leading voice against the Parliamentary acts that imposed a tax on items by requiring the purchase of a stamp. During a gathering of the so-called Stamp Act Congress in New York City in October 1766, Dickinson was asked to write fifteen proposals. These proposals, now known as the “Declaration of Rights and Resolves,” condemned the legislation as unconstitutional. This document, which was sent to the King of England, was the first official document drawn up and agreed upon by a combination of American colonies. Shortly thereafter, the Stamp Act was repealed after only four months of unsuccessful operation.

https://history.delaware.gov/jdp_main/di...r-letters/
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
Something I did not know.

Thanks! minusculebeercheers
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
Interesting read that.  Thanks for posting  minusculebeercheers
Thanks for that, @kdog

It is a bit odd how episodic history is presented to children in schools.

As a small background to the Britons reading this comment.  In the USA, (at least when I was in school), King George III was the villain of the piece as far as the American Revolution went.  He wasn't depicted as evil, but as a bully.  And, as the instruction went, there was a bit of ". . . and we showed that bully!"

What Americans call the War of 1812 was also mentioned, but I do not recall a teacher ever mentioning that the "old bully" George III was still the King at that time!  And considering that the British troops burned Washington DC, one could fairly say the "old bully" got a nice bit of revenge for the loss of the Thirteen Colonies.

For my part, I didn't bother to look up the length of his reign until a few years ago.  I was a bit surprised to learn that.

Reading the works of history is to take a stroll through the gardens of perspective.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

Well crap.

Went to the internet archive link to download the letters, but could only them in audio format, or PDFs that only described the audio files, and did not address the content. I'll search again when I wake up for something in written word format, as they were originally disseminated.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-09-2020, 04:08 AM)kdog Wrote: https://history.delaware.gov/jdp_main/di...r-letters/

Great post.

I am listening to the letters now.

So far the information may be a beneficial reminder for all to hear.
Did you also post this on GLP?

If not someone else did too,