Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
God's Own Lunatics by Joe Galloway

Did you fly whirly birds, too?

There was a brief window where almost anyone could go to flight school.  Lost a couple of good friends to that program.  They had to come back to out-process ... and told really good stories.  Made me regret not submitting my packet when it was easy.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Im happy that was not my war.
(07-06-2020, 02:35 PM)Snarl Wrote: Did you fly whirly birds, too?

There was a brief window where almost anyone could go to flight school.  Lost a couple of good friends to that program.  They had to come back to out-process ... and told really good stories.  Made me regret not submitting my packet when it was easy.

First tour yes.. The next 3 years in S.E. Asia I flew helicopters and fixed wing. I went into Nam on the Friday before the Monday it fell and picked up the ambassador's wife, Birdcage, and two kids in an Army twin engine turbo prop (U-21) and flew them out to Bangkok.
@"727Sky" 

Thank you for your service.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-06-2020, 01:51 PM)727Sky Wrote:

Joe Galloway also co wrote We Were Soldiers Once… and Young with Lieutenant General (Ret.) Hal Moore.

he was also with Moore in the Ia Drang Valley, the first major battle against the NVA.
he was awarded the Bronze Star with “V” for saving a solider and fought just like the rest of the soliders. much respect for the man.

here is his personal account of the battle.
From the front lines of Ia Drang Valley: ‘Killing, dying and suffering indelibly marked us all’

it seems to take a couple of seconds to load.
@"727Sky" 
Thank You for your Service and to think, you may have been there to support my husband once or twice.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-06-2020, 03:09 PM)727Sky Wrote:

First tour yes.. The next 3 years in S.E. Asia I flew helicopters and fixed wing. I went into Nam on the Friday before the Monday it fell and picked up the ambassador's wife, Birdcage, and two kids in an Army twin engine turbo prop (U-21) and flew them out to Bangkok.

Thank you.
"I be ridin' they be hatin'."
-Abraham Lincoln
(07-06-2020, 06:54 PM)beez Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 03:09 PM)727Sky Wrote:

Thank you.

I always wanted to fly and actually signed up for fixed wing but a smooth talking Tac Officer (god) talked 6 of us to stay with our preflight mates and learn to fly helicopters. I couldn't even hardly spell helicopter but there was god talking so all six of us said OK. 2 of the six were killed first tour. I have always felt my joining was for selfish reasons so no need for thanks but nice of you to say.

It was some of the greatest flying one can imagine and since we were young bold and almost invisible it was always the other guy that got killed or came back home a crispy critter. Maybe I should have said young bold and stupid hahaha
I will say this though. When Nam fell I was a bitter M.F. There were plenty who were thinking about an overthrow of the government. 

A very little known fact was when Nixon was looking like he was going to get impeached an entire battalion of First Cav Armor was loaded on a train in Ft. Hood and was waiting for Nixon to declare martial law. They would have gone to Washington an ringed the White House in Armor, just for starters. The US Airforce and the Navy said they would not back him so that just left the army and maybe some Marines. I was not there and that story was told to me by a company commander in 1980 or 81 ? True or not ? If true and Nixon would have had the backing of all the services all I can say is it would be a different USA today as Kent state was a nothing burger compared to what the military can do when turned loose

I was in a restroom with a 2 Star General after completing one of his jump missions. He had known me for several years and he liked me as I had saved his bacon and kept him from losing face a couple of times. Anyway this was in 77 at Langley Airforce base. He said there was a big RIF (reduction in force) coming down and he wanted to know if I wanted to stay in the service.. I told him is a respectful but assertive way that when Nam fell I hung up my guns for uncle sugar and unless the enemy is landing on our shores or breaking into my house I am finished with letting someone tell me to "go do or die".. He absolutely understood.. As many of us felt Washington was a friggen joke with the exception of Nixon who finally let us go into Cambodia and clean out all the North Vietnamese warehouses. We kicked their butts in Cambodia and 3 core Vietnam was quite for almost 3 months... at least we were not mortared during the night while we tried to sleep.. 

I missed the invasion of Laos and will forever be grateful I did as Brovo 227 company (our sister company) after two weeks in Laos had only two lift birds left as all the others were lost or damaged and to bad to fly. There were no more flyable Loches OH-6 left in the first Cav as all had been shot down. Hunter killer teams were a snake low and two high and even then the NVA had everything from radar guided 37 MM and 51 Cals. in place looking down and up from mountain ridges.... Either weapon would punch very big holes into anything that got in its' sights..  The NVA had learned very well from Cambodia and they kicked our butts in Laos. 

I honestly do not know why I posted this thread other than a friend of mine brought back some memories yesterday..? 

I am lucky as I never hated the Vietnamese.... I respected their fighting and supply capabilities and swore I would never be taken alive as both sides could be very mean and not pleasant to a captured enemy.. 

Those who hated had a hard time adjusting back in the real world IMO.
@"727Sky" 
I understand My Friend, I Really Do.
Rick
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(07-07-2020, 08:01 AM)727Sky Wrote: I am lucky as I never hated the Vietnamese.... I respected their fighting and supply capabilities and swore I would never be taken alive as both sides could be very mean and not pleasant to a captured enemy.

We're all lucky you're still here with us, Big Brother.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Quote:A very little known fact was when Nixon was looking like he was going to get impeached an entire battalion of First Cav Armor was loaded on a train in Ft. Hood and was waiting for Nixon to declare martial law.

Fascinating.

My father (Army) got the word at that time that general officers had been told on quiet channels . . . that were Nixon to attempt to move elements of the 82d Airborne Division to Washington DC . . . that those orders were to be absolutely disobeyed.

Your account is the only confirmation I've heard that unusual things were going on in DoD at that point.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

At the airline I flew for, I worked/flew with a couple of returned POWs. The guys were laid back and just happy to be alive and working.

This is a story of one man's experience of the 6.3 years he was a POW.