Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jim's Browning '74C series 9mm
I've been thinking about buying a bigger gun.  The one I have is small, just something to stick in my purse, but I'd like to have a rifle, or AR-15 the way things are getting.
Don't know if I can afford one though. I live on a fixed income, so I have to watch my pennies.

I'll probably just have to settle for a bigger hand gun.

Glad you got that taken care of @"senona".  You never know when you'll need a working gun.
(07-06-2020, 11:43 PM)senona Wrote: 1. Ah yeah, about using WD-40 on a pistol....... I got the "look" today when I took it to the gunshop and mentioned that I had used it. LMAO
2. Anyhoooo..... nothing wrong with the gun, it was me not knowing how to rack the slide.

He started to say, "If you feel the need to take it apart".......

And I said right quick before he could finish, "I will bring it here" with a laugh and grin.

First, let me say, "Welcome to the gun community."  Most people would give you the shirt off their back ... just because that's what we're made of.

So, #1 ... did ya blame it on a bunch of Internet Know-It-Alls?  LMAO

#2 - Are you capable of operating that thing 100% now?

Unspoken: I hope you learn how to maintain it yourself.  You are more than capable if you can rack the slide all the way back and get it to lock.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
Big Grin 
Just a quick update.....

I went to the small gun shop that Jim and I had seen for years, in a small town a few miles from here.

And glad I did.

I spent most of my day there, it was enjoyable.

I walked in and I assume it was the owner was helping one older lady who was telling him that her husband texted her to pickup some ammo while she was out.

Small problem, she didn't know what size.
So Mr.Allen starts grilling her about what it's for.

In the meantime, there is a middle aged couple waiting and they couldn't help but get tickled over their conversation.

Mr.Allen: What's it for?
Older lady: It's for my husband.
Mr.Allen: No, what is it being used for
Older lady: my husband's gun
Man waiting for help: It's fer killing peoples
Mr.Allen: No, what is he hunting? Deer, bear, rabbits ....
Me and Man together: PEOPLES  ***laughter***

That little bit of exchange turned into about 45 minutes of Mr.Allen giving all of us a crash course in the need to take a C&C class, so we would know the law even if we do not carry.

He went on and gave us different examples of how one must know the laws and how to work around them. How in the class, he reads to the class what the paper says, but then he tells them what it really means.
Somehow, he worked his way around to vaccines and what is in them, mercury. Then went on about the shit going on today, and how we must be prepared. And he mentioned Deep State, I shit you not.

I was like hey, this is my kind of crowd.

It was quit enjoyable to be honest.

Anyhow, that is when Mr.Dan came up, sat down at the counter and started pricing the box of ammo. He was actually using an old timey pricing gun. LOL

We got to talking and then he goes, what you got there?
So I showed him Jim's Browning and told him I thought that the slide was rusted for I could not get it to go back.

Dan looked at me and slid that joker back with ease.

I was like, how in the hell did you do that???? I feel like such an idiot. ROFLMAO

He just grinned at me with a twinkle in his eyes and said, here let me show you.

Dan had to spend over 30 minutes, just showing how to 'rack the slide'.
I will admit, it is tight and unless one knows the proper technique of holding it --which thank the gods he was kind enough to show me --it can be rather intimidating and discourage some people.

So after showing me how to do it and making me do it over and over, he then showed me the proper way to hold my hands when shooting, since it's a powerful gun.

After that learning lesson, he proceeds to really look at it, taking it apart , all the while telling me it looks really good and doesn't need any work. Hahahah

Dan shows me how to take it apart, what needs oil spray then hunts down some grease to put on the grooves where the slide moves.

He also said don't let people tell me the gun is too big for me, being a woman. That I am tall and with my large hands, am able to handle it. Just need proper training.

Then he went on and told me about each of his kids and how he taught them to shoot when they were 6 years old.

(If one doesn't know, Southern folks are very friendly and when you mix that with Cajuns, well there is no telling where the conversation will lead)

Long story short...........know what he charged me for all that? His time and knowledge?

NOTHING

He would not accept a dime, said that they are here to teach people.
I wanted to hug him for that.

Needless to say, I will go back there, if not just to chit chat.

And I intend on taking the C&C class when I get my next Saturday off.

Overall, I really enjoyed my day. I know I had to be there for close to 3 hours.
It was fun, entertaining and enjoyed talking to Mr.Dan

Thanks to all of you for your help and tips!!!!!!!!!

I have a lot to learn and at least now, I have a place I can go to for questions.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-07-2020, 12:09 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 11:43 PM)senona Wrote: 1. Ah yeah, about using WD-40 on a pistol....... I got the "look" today when I took it to the gunshop and mentioned that I had used it. LMAO
2. Anyhoooo..... nothing wrong with the gun, it was me not knowing how to rack the slide.

And I said right quick before he could finish, "I will bring it here" with a laugh and grin.

First, let me say, "Welcome to the gun community."  Most people would give you the shirt off their back ... just because that's what we're made of.

Unspoken: I hope you learn how to maintain it yourself.  You are more than capable if you can rack the slide all the way back and get it to lock.

Dan also gave me the inside story to the shirt he had on, what the logo in the pocket meant -- the 3% who would give their life fighting.

THAT was why he would not charge me, that they are here to teach and pass on what they know.

#1 -- nah, I laughed and gave an 'oops' kinda grin and swore I only sprayed a teeny bit on it. He just looked me and I started laughing that much more.

#2 -- I'm not going to go that far in my confidence of it just yet. I intend on taking the C&C class which they will work with me on handling the gun, shooting, loading and all that fun stuff.

Only after then,  will I say I'm 100% capable of operating it.

In the meantime, I have it with me (mag unloaded) and play with it, getting the feel for it. Going over how he showed me to hold it when shooting.

I do feel more confident after going there.

Now I just need to follow up and take that course.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-06-2020, 11:58 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I've been thinking about buying a bigger gun.  The one I have is small, just something to stick in my purse, but I'd like to have a rifle, or AR-15 the way things are getting.
Don't know if I can afford one though. I live on a fixed income, so I have to watch my pennies.

Glad you got that taken care of @"senona".  You never know when you'll need a working gun.

They had 2 AR-15 sold and while I was there, a another customer came in wanting one.
So placed another order for him.

Dan told me they cannot keep ammo, that the people are buying it up.

I was also told, that the Browning model Jim has is in high demand and to hang on to it. That I didn't need another gun unless I just wanted to buy one.

They are expensive too --- a used one like Jim's run from $1600-$2000 and they said his was in excellent condition.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-06-2020, 09:07 AM)guohua Wrote: Hello My Dear @"senona" 

My husband said the slide is not all the way forward and it is hanging the thumb safety.
Take one or two screws holding the right wooden grip off and you should be able to spray the inside of the safety mechanism and the slide grove and trigger area.
Yes using WD 40 will be fine, that is what a gunsmith will use and a rubber mallet.

It wasn't the gun, it was me. tinybiggrin

The guy took it from me and slid it back with no problem. LMAO

Oh yeah, I was like WTH???

Dan was kind enough to take the time to show me how to properly hold it in order to slide it back.
Grip the handle with one hand, with the other hand, grip the top of the slide where the grooves are on the back and push against each other with gun pointing down.
Will admit, it is very TIGHT and I will have to practice to get used to it.
The way in which I hold it while doing it makes a big difference.

I left the mag empty, just so I can get used to the feel of the weight of the gun, play with the slide and how to hold my hands/arms when shooting.

In a couple of weeks, I will go one Saturday and take their 8 hour class for C&C, which there they will train me on shooting and handling the gun.

I work a 12 hour shift this Friday (inventory) and am off Sat, but I will probably sleep in and won't want to get up for an 8am class. LOL

This old mare can work circles around these young folks, but I do like my rest when it is given. haha

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(07-06-2020, 11:58 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: I've been thinking about buying a bigger gun.  The one I have is small, just something to stick in my purse, but I'd like to have a rifle, or AR-15 the way things are getting.

depending on the weapon and manufacturer, you can get a ar for about 300 to 500 hundred more than a good high end manufacturers handgun.

well i was gonna post some online dealers,everyone that i looked out for a lower end manufacturers was posting out of stock, on the higher end manufacturers the cheaper ones of theirs were out of stock.

only place i could find any kind of were the gunbrooker sites were you bid on them, and like Snarl said it's a sellers market right now.

any way a bushmaster ar with old style upper receiver the carrying handle type, not the rail type upper was starting at $600.00 up to $800.00

i just found a doublestar star 15 with rail type upper on  armslist.com for $850.00. doesn't look bad, but looks isn't what counts. i doubt that it's still up for sale, ad is a month old.

For Sale: Doublestar Starcar 15
(07-07-2020, 12:35 AM)senona Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 12:09 AM)Snarl Wrote:

Dan also gave me the inside story to the shirt he had on, what the logo in the pocket meant -- the 3% who would give their life fighting.

THAT was why he would not charge me, that they are here to teach and pass on what they know.

#1 -- nah, I laughed and gave an 'oops' kinda grin and swore I only sprayed a teeny bit on it. He just looked me and I started laughing that much more.

#2 -- I'm not going to go that far in my confidence of it just yet. I intend on taking the C&C class which they will work with me on handling the gun, shooting, loading and all that fun stuff.

Only after then,  will I say I'm 100% capable of operating it.

In the meantime, I have it with me (mag unloaded) and play with it, getting the feel for it. Going over how he showed me to hold it when shooting.

I do feel more confident after going there.

Now I just need to follow up and take that course.

There are two things most people put off until it's too late:
1. Buying a gun.
2. Obtaining a carry license.
3. *Shooting enough to be damned good.

Practice ... a Lot.  Dry firing that pistola should do it no harm.  Racking the slide every time will teach your hands.  Just make sure you don't start off letting the slide slam forward on an empty magazine. Semi-autos are designed to strip a round off a magazine, which slows the slide down considerably.

Ohhh you've got a Lot to learn.   tinywondering
You better run!

An AR is great choice for defense of your home.  I use mine for hunting as well.  They're a little heavier than your typical hunting rifle (w/advantages and disadvantages).  I figure if I'm walking less than a mile into the woods, the extra weight is not an over-burden.

What are you carrying in your purse?  There's a common-sense school of thought on that BTW.  A bushwhacker will often go straight for the purse.  Now, he's got your gun too.

Feel ya on the fixed income.  Finally got there.  Coming off a paycheck ... and then having to pay that 'final' tax bill ... OMFG!!  LOL
You better run!
(07-07-2020, 01:06 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: i just found a doublestar star 15 with rail type upper on  armslist.com for $850.00. doesn't look bad, but looks isn't what counts. i doubt that it's still up for sale, ad is a month old.

Can't go wrong there.  One of my shootin' buddies upgraded from an Anderson to a Doublestar for 3-gun matches.  Me?  I can't really tell a difference, but he can't stop lauding it.  -chuckle

It is hard to find a well-priced anything right now.  If I was offering advice (out in the air), I'd say place the order and wait patiently the three to six weeks required.  I don't see much supply relief near-term.  And ... a gun with no ammo ... is an expensive club.  So, buy ammo when you see it.  Rural King is selling by the crate.  A new gun owner is gonna need that crate (for practice and familiarization).
You better run!
(07-07-2020, 12:12 PM)Snarl Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 01:06 AM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: i just found a doublestar star 15 with rail type upper on  armslist.com for $850.00. doesn't look bad, but looks isn't what counts. i doubt that it's still up for sale, ad is a month old.

Can't go wrong there.  One of my shootin' buddies upgraded from an Anderson to a Doublestar for 3-gun matches.  Me?  I can't really tell a difference, but he can't stop lauding it.  -chuckle

It is hard to find a well-priced anything right now.  If I was offering advice (out in the air), I'd say place the order and wait patiently the three to six weeks required.  I don't see much supply relief near-term.  And ... a gun with no ammo ... is an expensive club.  So, buy ammo when you see it.  Rural King is selling by the crate.  A new gun owner is gonna need that crate (for practice and familiarization).

i might have to look into the doublestar then.

Quote:It is hard to find a well-priced anything right now. 

i long for the old days pre ban cost, sks $150 or less, ak's $225, ar's $400 to $600, real not a clone hk91a2 $450 to $600.
but them days are long gone.
The thing that's killing me is the rising costs of ammo.  I normally would buy 5.56, because I shoot so much of it, and the cost variance wasn't enough to warrant the time and physical effort of reloading it myself.

I am so glad I policed-up all of that brass.   tinycool
You better run!
(07-07-2020, 02:39 PM)Snarl Wrote: The thing that's killing me is the rising costs of ammo.  I normally would buy 5.56, because I shoot so much of it, and the cost variance wasn't enough to warrant the time and physical effort of reloading it myself.

true dat, i always held back on reloading cause of the initial cost of the scales, dies, calipers, trimmers, press, vs the price of ready made in the box. now it might just pay to do some.

had a high school buddy that died years back, whose dad was into reloading big time. ran into his sister a month or so back and she said her mom still has all of his dad guns and reloading stuff. been thinking about going and seeing her. she was like my second mom back then. she might even give it to me.
(07-07-2020, 03:04 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 02:39 PM)Snarl Wrote: The thing that's killing me is the rising costs of ammo.  I normally would buy 5.56, because I shoot so much of it, and the cost variance wasn't enough to warrant the time and physical effort of reloading it myself.

true dat, i always held back on reloading cause of the initial cost of the scales, dies, calipers, trimmers, press, vs the price of ready made in the box. now it might just pay to do some.

had a high school buddy that died years back, whose dad was into reloading big time. ran into his sister a month or so back and she said her mom still has all of his dad guns and reloading stuff. been thinking about going and seeing her. she was like my second mom back then. she might even give it to me.

You should.  She'll only get pennies on the dollar for the reloading kit.  OTOH, that stuff is good for generations of service.  A little cosmetic touch-up and most of it is as good as new.  You can pay her back by passing on some of your skill knowledge.  Get her out of the house from time-to-time.  She probably needs more company than she's used to getting.  I'd call that a fair trade.
You better run!

Shop around. 

I got mine for less than 600 bucks brand new, tax and all, but it lists for around 750. You CAN lay a lot of money into an AR, but it's unnecessary. AR Snobs would have you believe that there are important differences, but there really aren't. Mine is one the snobs call "entry level" (it's a Smith and Wesson M&P-15 Sporter II), but I was handling AR's before most of them were even a gleam in their teenage mother's eye, and I'll tell you right now that the workings of all of them are exactly the same regardless of how "Buck Rogers" looking they are. A higher price does not mean higher quality - they are all the same at their most basic level. Paying out high-dollar on one means you are either buying a name label, or too many geegaws on it.

I laugh at some of the snobs insisting on a "free floating" barrel (claiming it's more accurate) and then getting that barrel with the "notch" for a grenade launcher machined into it, because it "looks like" a military M4. "free floating" barrels on an AR is like lipstick on a pig - unnecessary expense. It's an AR, not a freaking sniper rifle. It occupies an entirely different spectrum of firepower. There is no advantage to getting an expensive free floating barrel, and then having that harmonics-killing notch in it for a grenade launcher, especially considering they will never have an M203 to make use of it. All that notch is ever gonna do for them is make their barrel "whip" at the notch (which is a weaker point than the rest of the barrel) on every shot, negating the "free floating" advantage entirely.

"Basic" is not bad, nor is it substandard - it's what the rifle was designed as to begin with, and will work like a charm for it's intended use.

So shop around, look for "basic" or "entry level", as those are the only REAL AR's left in the world. They are work horses, not show horses - a MUCH better option when it's time to actually plow a furrow.

One distinction that IS important is the rifling pitch. It matters because it affects bullet flight with varying bullet weights. The original M-16 through M-16A1 had a 1:12 pitch, for use with 55 grain bullets. The Marines screwed the pooch on that by insisting on a 1:7 twist and heavier 62 grain bullets, trying to turn an assault rifle into a sniper rifle. The net result was the lighter bullets skip right past the tighter rifling and often fly wild. I got mine with a half-way 1:9 pitch, because that will work fairly well with both bullet weights.

The niche for AR's is from muzzle-in-their-gut work out to about 500 or 550 yards, with the sweet spot being from 125 yards or so to about 250 yards, and when you need more rapid fire. "Rapid fire" is not generally long range work. If you need more range than that, buy a sniper rifle instead.

Wow. This post probably belongs in a thread of it's own. I probably ought to see to that.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’