Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gardening Thread 2020
I love to garden, and can much of what I grow.
I've only gotten smart in the last few years, to change out crops every other year, so I don't have so many different items to can, just a lot, of a few.  This year, it is tomato's, potato's, peas, and just some ready to eat stuff like kale, onions and peppers.
Hubby is ridiculous with hot peppers, so I am trying Carolina reapers and something scorpion.

May have a few other plants in there as well. tinycool 

Anyhoo, I would love to discuss any aspect of gardening, canning, whatever.
[Image: Potatoes-6-22.jpg]

Here are my potato's, in the half drums.  They are growing great!

[Image: tomato-6-22.jpg]
And here are the tomato's under the arches.  I actually have a couple cucumber plants at the close end.

I would like to keep the discussion going, through harvest.  Anyone else have a garden this year?
Maybe this will bring the misses on board. 

You should see our 6x8 patio garden. Might post pictures later. 

We do have a problem with our, or hers, tomato plants . Plenty of blooms and no fruit.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
I'd like to see a pic.
Maybe I can guess on the no fruit?  Are the blooms just dying off and nothing coming after?
Yep ! Plenty of blooms, then dying off and nothing . Now the green beans are producing like crazy.
My husband planted some things to eat right away in my neighbor's garden, like onions, cucumbers, and a few tomatoes. Our soil here won't grow anything.
I'm not able to can anything; bad knees and back. But we do like our fresh tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers right off the plant.

My mom and dad both had a huge garden when I was growing up. They tried to outdo each other. My dad used manure on the soil, and my mother used compost on hers. We had any kind of food you could imagine in those gardens. Had apple trees, a plumb tree, blueberry bushes, strawberry patch, watermelon, pumpkin, etc. too.

There is nothing like fresh food from the garden, especially tomatoes. They just have a better flavor.

If was able, I'd have a garden. I miss the great food.
(06-23-2020, 12:35 AM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I'd like to see a pic.
Maybe I can guess on the no fruit?  Are the blooms just dying off and nothing coming after?

I can only wonder, do you see any bees?  I thought tomato's were self pollinators, but maybe they need help?
(06-23-2020, 12:54 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: My husband planted some things to eat right away in my neighbor's garden, like onions, cucumbers, and a few tomatoes. Our soil here won't grow anything.
I'm not able to can anything; bad knees and back. But we do like our fresh tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers right off the plant.

My mom and dad both had a huge garden when I was growing up. They tried to outdo each other. My dad used manure on the soil, and my mother used compost on hers. We had any kind of food you could imagine in those gardens. Had apple trees, a plumb tree, blueberry bushes, strawberry patch, watermelon, pumpkin, etc. too.

There is nothing like fresh food from the garden, especially tomatoes. They just have a better flavor.

If was able, I'd have a garden. I miss the great food.

It's funny, we had to work in the garden every day, when we were kids, and I hated it.  Now?  Well, Ive been doing it for over 20 years, and can't imagine not having one.  And thanks to the chickens, it usually grows very well.
(06-23-2020, 01:01 AM)Chiefsmom Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 12:35 AM)Chiefsmom Wrote: I'd like to see a pic.

I can only wonder, do you see any bees?  I thought tomato's were self pollinators, but maybe they need help?

That was our thinking too. No bees, just a sighting every once in awhile.
Well sorry I haven't been back in a while.  Things are really busy.
Everything is growing like crazy.  I had to water all last week, until Friday, then we received almost an inch of rain.
I canned 4 pints of peas last Thursday, and then last night I picked a full 5 gal. pail of them and shucked them.  They are in the fridge with water over them, until tomorrow.
I'm guessing 8-10 pints.  There are still more on the plants that were not all the way ready.
I think next will be the cabbage, I will be making sauerkraut out of that.  Probably another week or two.

I'll have to get a picture this week.
(07-13-2020, 11:59 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: Well sorry I haven't been back in a while.  Things are really busy.
Everything is growing like crazy.  I had to water all last week, until Friday, then we received almost an inch of rain.
I canned 4 pints of peas last Thursday, and then last night I picked a full 5 gal. pail of them and shucked them.  They are in the fridge with water over them, until tomorrow.
I'm guessing 8-10 pints.  There are still more on the plants that were not all the way ready.
I think next will be the cabbage, I will be making sauerkraut out of that.  Probably another week or two.

Hey ! SO, of the few plants we have on our little deck, we have 7 tomatoes so far from 2 tomato plants. 

A few doves visited us.  

[Image: doves.jpg]

We are currently looking for a house in the country so we can have a real garden and space. 

minusculebeercheers
(07-13-2020, 11:59 PM)Chiefsmom Wrote: Well sorry I haven't been back in a while.  Things are really busy.

You've been busy.  minusculethumbsup2
I love Cabbage, dreaming of Kimchi.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Well, I failed epically at keeping up with this thread, but here goes anyway.

So, I tried making the sauerkraut, and for some reason, I panicked, and wasted it.  It had a bit of white moldy stuff on top, of the water.  You can just skim the white stuff off, and normally I know this, so not sure what I was thinking.

I did get about 20 jars of chilly/Gulash starter canned up.  That is tomato juice with onions, peppers and garlic.

We ended up concentrating more on the "special" plants, of which we ended up with 2 males, which then gave us lots of seeds.  Apparently it is still good for what ails you, but hubby wasn't happy.

Over all, I would have to say I'm not impressed with myself, letting things go.

This was the year of suck, in more ways than one.  I hope to do better next year.
My husband likes sauerkraut on his steamed Brock's and Hot Dog's.

OH an YES it is good for what ails most people.
My husband uses the Premium Hemp Oil HL 10,000mg twice a day. *yes he is known to be a very angry man*
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]