Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
To all the xATS’ers - I feel you
Since it's the cool thing to do, just want to share some "T O S" memories:

I was one of those that are all too common: "been lurking, finally joined!" people. I feel like once I actually joined in 2012 I knew everyone in the place, where to go, what to do, etc. etc. etc. 

But I was also a bit of an introvert (looking back now it's shocking...). I had yet to truly realize my ability to generate a cortisol flood by arguing (  tinylaughing ) so I tried avoiding anything that may have seemed like an argument. 

I posted one "legit" thread about religion (yeah, keeping it simple...) but for the most part just stood in awe of some of the fabulous topics I came to love. 

The Slayers, Zaphods, and many others who helped "raise me" while I was in the shadows of ATS became almost godlike because of their knowledge and expertise. 

Astro sent me down a rabbit hole, the "earthquake guy" had me thinking Yellowstone was any day now (sorry, can't remember the handle TBH), Zaphod with the Darpa / Skunkworks talk, and man, oh man, Slayer with the g-spot threads that had me up at night looking into the unknown. 

And then came Paris. I remember it clearly, I was at a Supercuts to be honest getting my hair cut that night. When the news broke, it seemed like MSM was falling over themselves with BS information, but there was ATS. At the forefront, with a beer in the hand, ATS was everything from an "I'm ok! check on so and so instead", to a breaking news site that had the answers long before your CNN's and NBC's were reporting things. It was epic (and horrible), but it was something to behold when people shared information in real time like that. 

But then, shortly after, 2016 hit. I don't have a specific thread in mind, nor can I pinpoint a day. I also can't honestly tell you who sent me the PM to come join "others" at another site. HH was a good relief from the madness that TOS had become, but there was still something missing. I decided to check it out because TOS started to feel more and more unwelcome. I've said before, I have thick skin. But the vitriol was more "in your face" than it seemed before. Maybe the site stayed the same but I changed? I'm open about accepting that. But I can say with 100% certainty there was something brewing. 

When RN3 was in her infancy, I found something that I wanted so badly from TOS: that acceptance. It wasn't about who had the most flags, stars, "likes", shares, or years. It was about content and the ability for people old and new to generate and discuss it. And because the site was new and didn't have much, it was like a blank slate. But being populated by some veteran TOS'rs it wasn't like we (they) were all new to my favorite subjects, but instead of "already been posted" cold replies because the search engine at TOS sucked monkey balls, it was like a new discussion being generated all over again (and yes, sometimes it even had members linking to old threads over there - so it's not like we pretended the discussion never happened). 

What I do know is nothing will ever replace TOS in my timeline. It played a part, had its place, and now it's on to bigger things. Life got in the way big time on my end and even RN3 became a "once a month" thing on my end. But one thing I always knew, whether it was 2 days or 2 months I could drop a bleeding heart liberal BOMB into RN3 for the heck of it and every single member here would lay down their shields and ask me how I was....(before pummeling into the ground with their Trump batons, but that's another discussion). And it made me realize that getting an email from @guohua on a random Saturday was much more valuable than getting a star on my snide comment. Sharing what scotch is the best, what drink is there waiting, or what solemn melody as a whisper in the night delivers me my sleep, none of that is possible in a business model that allows toxicity. I'm not an owner, nor a genius, but it was toxic at TOS. Still had some of the same great people (albeit less than I remember) but it was different. 

My closing statement: I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything. 

And to @"guohua" @"Sol"  @"gordi"  @"BIAD"   @"Mystic Wanderer" @"Ninurta" @"Wallfire" @"senona" @"OmegaLogos" and holy shit I'm gonna forget some while writing this (sorry!) you all made this a home for me. You made this what I felt before even registering at TOS, a place to feel at home. A place to post about life, the universe, and everything. A place to imagine, even if for a second, that I was the bowl of petunias:

"Curiously, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias, as it fell, was, "Oh no, not again!" Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly *why* the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."
I came to ATS in 2011 in search of something I did not know I was looking for. 

It was a gateway to open my eyes. 

I found everything I was searching for and more. Met my wife there. 

I went searching further, finding various of places to land. 

Banned from there several times, I really just went dark, just researching on my own. 

ATS has gone through this before, but honestly, I won't miss it because of the friends I made elsewhere and for the friends I know in real life. 

Done with politics, and want to continue my search for the weird and unexplained. 

Cheers !
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
@"Timely" 
Quote:Should we expect the three amigos to sign in here soon ?

[Image: tinylaughing.png]

O M G we could never afford to pay for their Home, Hell they live in Snottiness I mean Scottsdale, AZ. the most expensive property taxes and homes starting a $800,000 and that is without the Golf Course and Private Hanger for your Plane next to your house and Enclosed RV garage.
Those start at over a Million.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
"This last time, I made it 5 or 6 months and just over 100 posts. I messaged the staff to report the join link wasn’t working after a friend tried to join and couldn’t and was instantly banned with no warning. I emailed the contact link for explanation but received no reply. All I can assume is once again I was recognized as a persona non grata? That’s fine. I lasted longer than I figured I would"

And I hold the dubious distinction of being the friend that prompted her to ask about the join link and promptly sent her karoming off the ATS walls and out the cyber door?    Sorry F!
@"DuckforcoveR" 

You do realize those people you mentioned are crazy as fuck.  

So, we all belong to the same club !

Cheers !
(06-23-2020, 02:37 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: "This last time, I made it 5 or 6 months and just over 100 posts. I messaged the staff to report the join link wasn’t working after a friend tried to join and couldn’t and was instantly banned with no warning. I emailed the contact link for explanation but received no reply. All I can assume is once again I was recognized as a persona non grata? That’s fine. I lasted longer than I figured I would"

And I hold the dubious distinction of being the friend that prompted her to ask about the join link and promptly sent her karoming off the ATS walls and out the cyber door?    Sorry F!

If you need help here, Just Ask,,, we don't know if the Ban Button even works,,,,, yes that is the Truth.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(06-23-2020, 02:40 AM)guohua Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 02:37 AM)Antisthenes Wrote: "This last time, I made it 5 or 6 months and just over 100 posts. I messaged the staff to report the join link wasn’t working after a friend tried to join and couldn’t and was instantly banned with no warning. I emailed the contact link for explanation but received no reply. All I can assume is once again I was recognized as a persona non grata? That’s fine. I lasted longer than I figured I would"

If you need help here, Just Ask,,, we don't know if the Ban Button even works,,,,, yes that is the Truth.

Thank you very much....!
@"DuckforcoveR" - Good lord, Slayer69! I'm in regular contact with him, and need to get a message out to him to see if he wants to partake, too!

Thanks for the reminder!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-23-2020, 02:29 AM)kdog Wrote: I came to ATS in 2011 in search of something I did not know I was looking for. 

Banned from there several times, I really just went dark, just researching on my own. 

ATS has gone through this before, but honestly, I won't miss it because of the friends I made elsewhere and for the friends I know in real life. 

Done with politics, and want to continue my search for the weird and unexplained. 

Cheers !

I met Grace over there, too! Who knew ATS was a matchmaking site? She was a Muslim, I was bashing the shit out of Muslims, and the rest is history!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(06-23-2020, 02:48 AM)Ninurta Wrote: @"DuckforcoveR" - Good lord, Slayer69! I'm in regular contact with him, and need to get a message out to him to see if he wants to partake, too!

Thanks for the reminder!

Slayer just left Oregon headed to New Orleans to live. He is still on the road.
(06-23-2020, 02:49 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 02:29 AM)kdog Wrote: I came to ATS in 2011 in search of something I did not know I was looking for. 

Cheers !

I met Grace over there, too! Who knew ATS was a matchmaking site? She was a Muslim, I was bashing the shit out of Muslims, and the rest is history!

Love finds you in  the strangest places. Best thing ever happened to me.
(06-23-2020, 02:54 AM)kdog Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 02:48 AM)Ninurta Wrote: @"DuckforcoveR" - Good lord, Slayer69! I'm in regular contact with him, and need to get a message out to him to see if he wants to partake, too!

Thanks for the reminder!

Slayer just left Oregon headed to New Orleans to live. He is still on the road.

I thought he left two days ago. I'll check on him anyhow - a messenger message will wait on him until he gets off the road.

(06-23-2020, 02:39 AM)kdog Wrote: @"DuckforcoveR" 

Cheers !

@"kdog"    tinytongue 

@"DuckforcoveR" your post almost brought a tear to my eye.  You know we love you here, and when I call you Duckypoo, it is a term of endearment. I've told you that before, right?   tinybiggrin
(06-23-2020, 02:56 AM)kdog Wrote: I met Grace over there, too! Who knew ATS was a matchmaking site? She was a Muslim, I was bashing the shit out of Muslims, and the rest is history!

Love finds you in  the strangest places. Best thing ever happened to me.

Yes it does, and yes it was. I've been married 4 times, so there was a bit of trepidation involved, but I've never looked back. I rode half way across the nation, and was married to her within 5 hours of my boots hitting the ground there, the first time I ever laid actual eyes on her. This marriage has already lasted longer than two of the other 3, and is showing no signs of slowing down. I got a "keeper" this time - finally!

(06-22-2020, 08:05 AM)TheRedneck Wrote: I have to admit I have mixed feelings about ATS right now. It had the most inquisitive and intelligent minds on the Internet.

"Had" being the key word here.

TheRedneck

Well if you are gonna unload, I’ll fire up a couple barrels myself. 

ATS isn’t the topics nor all the posts. What made it a destination was the community. And what made the community was the Civility and Decorum, not so much the T&C. Attempts to purchase are well and good as are the attempts to offsite some threads. But just know what made it ATS. 

Digging around I found a thread that was a simple interpretation of the T&C’s that boiled down to “Don’t be a jerk” at each part. Sure it was funny that one of he owners/admins jumped on a general account named abovetopsecret.com and posted it. Still a public thread just well buried. It was a moment of fun. 

We lightened up despite objections. idk if the results would have been the same with Google defunding the site. But I wonder if we had held a firmer hand if things wouldn’t have been so sloppy at the end. Or if we had held the deeper bot tags for Alexa rankings to stay above 2000 instead of slipping to nearly 32,000.
(06-22-2020, 08:42 PM)halwesten Wrote: My only concern is there are a handful over there that just start shit. That's all they're there for, to instigate and be combative. I understand about being a relaxed site which I appreciate, but if that crap starts here it will get real ugly real quick. I can give almost as good as I get but that kind of conversation has me worn out. I don't even like it now. I popped in there to see what was going on and the same handful are throwing it out there hard, just being arrogant and full of fire & brimstone. 

Like the saying goes, "I'm tired, boss". I hope that doesn't happen here.

Trust me, if anyone starts getting nasty personally, rather than attacking the topic, that is about the only time we will step in.

We want to make sure all our members are at ease, regardless of the topic.

Sure, it is healthy to have a great debate (I learned the art of debate back when I joined ATS in 2012), so one should not feel miffed just because someone does not agree with them.

The real world does not work that way.

What a boring world it would be if we all agreed and shared the same thoughts.

With that being said, the only thing we frown upon is name calling or instigating shit with members just because they do not see eye to eye on a topic.

No need to worry about a ban hammer (don't even know where it is), but you do not want to feel the wrath of @"guohua" whips.
No siree, she is plum scary when she gets that whip out.
smallslavedriver

If anyone should happen to encounter such an issue with another member, just alert either an Admin or one of the Mods. tinycool

In the meantime, enjoy and have fun. minusculecheers

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(06-23-2020, 02:59 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 02:39 AM)kdog Wrote: @"DuckforcoveR" 

Cheers !

@"kdog"    tinytongue 

@"DuckforcoveR" your post almost brought a tear to my eye.  You know we love you here, and when I call you Duckypoo, it is a term of endearment. I've told you that before, right?   tinybiggrin

Aaaawwww, Duckypoo  tinyinlove

It does have a charming ring to it.   minusculebiggrin

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Another ATSer here . One door closes and another opens i suppose . Although . This site has a familiar feel to it already .Lots of familiar faces so to speak . Just have to relearn the board now , but i'm getting there .
(06-23-2020, 03:38 AM)hutch622 Wrote: Another ATSer here . One door closes and another opens i suppose . Although . This site has a familiar feel to it already .Lots of familiar faces so to speak . Just have to relearn the board now , but i'm getting there .

Hi Hutch,

Yeah I'm finding my way around.  2 posts in 'Short Stories'.  One you will be familiar with but a new one regarding 'Westall'  in 1966.  Hope you can have a read.  

Looking forward to 'crabbing' in November.  If the crabs are too small at that time do I need to bring a rod?

Kind regards,

Bally
Hello.

To the ones that already know me online: Yep, it is me again.

To the ones that do not already know me online: Yep, it is me.

:)