Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The First-Ever Photo of Quantum Entanglement.
A university in the land of Gordi was the first to capture an important event last year, namely an image that shows quantum entanglement
taking place between two photons.

What is this allege incredible action...? -I hear you ask and even if I'd used Albert Einstein's descriptive 'spooky action at a distance', it
wouldn't go fa enough to explain what entanglement is. Anyway, physicists at the University of Glasgow in Scotland can now say the
theory does exist.

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles become inextricably linked, and whatever happens to one immediately affects the other,
regardless of how far apart they are. Hence Einstein's 'spooky action at a distance' description.

This strange interaction throws many of our scientific rules out of the window, we've generally accepted that the ultimate speed is light-speed
and yet, no matter how far apart these particles are positioned, the copying-action is instantaneous and without any indication of how or why.

The Glasgow University experiment by physicists involved capturing four images of the photons under four different phase transitions and
by using the equipment shown below, the separate photons are treated differently and yet, they culminate with the exact same phase changes.
And it happens exactly at the same time.

The late physicist John Stewart Bell helped define quantum entanglement and established a test known as 'Bell inequality'.
Essentially, if you can break Bell inequality, you can confirm true quantum entanglement and here is the first visual example.

It seems the 'faster-than-light' comment is becoming somewhat out of date!

Useful Link:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=7682]

(Top) Two photons - two light particles, interacting and - for a brief moment - sharing physical states.

(Bottom Left) An actual a composite of multiple images of the photons as they go through a series of four phase transitions.

(Bottom Right) The entangled beam of photons comes from the bottom left, one half of the entangled pair splits to the left
and passes through the four phase filters. The others that go straight ahead didn't go through the filters, but underwent the
same phase changes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Are they disclosing the scientific steps of how "beam me up, Scottie" works?  That's what I'm interested in. I need immediate transport around the world. These trains and planes are so "yesterday".   tinybiggrin
Hope this helps  minusculebiggrin

Quote:
@"Wallfire".  Yes, that helped a lot. I've always been more of a "visual learner", or hands on, than a reader.

This brings back to my memory what some SSP insiders said about going through a portal to get from planet A to planet B. They said you had to make sure you stayed focused on the area straight ahead. If you leaned to the sides your body would not transport all in one piece and you'd be killed. They said a lot of people died during the first experiments of portal transportation, but they learned the correct way to do it over time.

I'm sure we have a long way to go before portal transportation is offered to the public, but it's fun to think about. 

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd2v9y0dukr6mq2.cloudfro...f=1&nofb=1]
(05-28-2020, 08:03 AM)Wallfire Wrote: Hope this helps  minusculebiggrin

Quote:

smallawesome  Yup, that does help.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]