Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Remains of missing toddler at Disney are found
I read this story this morning and was just immediately heart broken. I didn't even want to open it when I saw the headline.

Alligator Attack At Disney

Quote:A toddler playing outside his waterfront hotel at Walt Disney World was attacked by an alligator Tuesday evening and dragged into a lagoon as his horrified parents looked on, officials said.
The 2-year-old’s father desperately ran into the water and tried to save the boy by wrestling the roughly 6-foot-long gator — and the boy’s mother also tried in vain to free the child, cops said.
But the ferocious reptile was able to pull the boy into the dark lagoon at about 9:30 p.m.
“The father was near the child who was playing in the water when the alligator came up and attacked him,” Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said at a news conference early Wednesday.
“The father entered the water and tried to grab the child but was not successful.”
Demings said the child and two siblings had been vacationing with their parents since Sunday.
The family, from Nebraska, were enjoying an evening of fireworks and a “movie night” near the Seven Seas Lagoon when tragedy struck.

And after searching all day for the body (the sheriff flat out said earlier that there's no way a 2 year old would survive this long), they have now found the remains of the little boy.

Remains found

Quote:Searchers found the remains of a missing 2-year-old boy, who was dragged away from his family by an alligator near a Disney hotel Tuesday night.

Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings ID'd the child as Lane Graves, son to Matt and Melissa Graves.

What a heartbreaking story. It hit's me pretty close because I just spent some time at a Disney resort and a I can tell you that it was the time of our lives. I've never taken a vacation with the kids (and I didn't grow up with the means to go on a vacation outside of the county zoo or the Milwaukee Public Museum), so I know for a fact that this family was feeling probably exactly the same as I was on our first few days there.

Part of me wants to immediately jump into the "where the hell were the parents?!", especially considering the signs were apparently VERY visible all along the waterfront warning not to enter, but I just can't. I'm jumping to conclusions here, but we stayed at a different resort. We stayed a the Caribbean Beach resort which also has a giant "lake" at the center. There are beaches for swimming, boats that will take you fishing, it's a scenic getaway all around.

Being from Wisconsin, the LAST thing on my mind at any lake is a freakin alligator. I know we're in Florida and all, but I not only let my daughter wade in the shallows while playing but I went with her. Our are didn't have any signs (and swimming wasn't off limits) but it seems from reading the article that the Grand Floridian lake is connected by streams and rivers that lead outside of Disney.

With that said, I saw a video recently of a huge gator walking across a golf course in Florida, so even the beach that I was at isn't safe. If they are walking under the cover of darkness and nobody sees them, they can waltz into a "private" lake any time they want.

So no, I'm not going to blame a family from Nebraska (who also probably never had "gator" in their mind, let alone at a Disney Resort) for what happened to their child, I'm not an insurance adjuster that will assign blame no matter what. It's a heart-wrenching tragedy all around and I just don't have any words that describe how they must feel.

The Golf Course gator by the way (video in the link)

GIANT GATOR!

Rest in Peace little man. Way to damn young... tinycrying
I saw that too.
So tragic

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
I cannot even begin to imagine what the Father is feeling right now.

I'm down here along the Gulf Coast, so yes, I am all to aware of alligators.
Even on land, those suckers can move.

To the gator, the young boy especially at night, seemed like small prey.

Even tho Disney tries their best to control alligators, they can move from one lake to another without anyone knowing.

We used to take our yellow Lab every now and then to this pond/lake nearby a Golf course and throw the ball in the water for him to get.
And believe you me, alligator was on my mind every time we went.
The not knowing if one was in there or not.

Luckily, there was not.
Or not the we saw anyway

Such a sad and horrible story.
And on vacation and that, seems to make it worse.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

So Very Heart Breaking,,,, So Very Sad!  mediumcrying

I have to wonder why they'd allow Gators so close to people there seeing as so many children are always present.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Oh my gosh, It's just so horrible and i can't begin to imagine what the parents are going through right now. 

I have to admit that I, too couldn't stop my mind from asking questions that others are obviously asking. A look about to see what sort of signage there might be at this resort, I found a myriad of images that may or may not be near this particular lagoon. It does seem that explicit warnings of large predators should probably be in place.  

Stepping back a bit, i realize this has had me asking some questions similar to things that came to mind when that young man walked to his death in Yellowstone. Are we slowly attempting to create a static world. Like a strange facsimile of our world, with every danger eliminated for us. We, humans in the general sense, talk a lot about the dangers of tv and video games. Could it be that over time this kind of thinking has stunted our critical thinking skills ? 

Penny
Being an empath, I can't even read that!  I'm glad he was found, just to give closure to the parents, but what a terrible thing for the parents to endure... and that poor child.  I have to stop here; I can't think about this.   :smallundecided:

May God/Source/All That Is Good, be with these people during this tragic event. minusculecrybaby