Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Out The Airlock!
I'd have to put this Whinney / Snowflake floating talking AI robot out the Damn Airlock if it ever told be not to be So mean!  tinyangry
Quote:ISS robot accuses crew of being mean

International Space Station bot CIMON likes Kraftwerk and astronauts who are nice.
Really, Listen to me you Damn Talking Rice-Cooker. I'm as nice as I'm going to get!  tinyok

Quote:"Be nice, please," a free-floating robotic face tells ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst in a video released by the European Space Agency on Friday. 

CIMON (Crew Interactive Mobile Companion) is an Alexa-like robot stuffed with IBM Watson artificial intelligence. It arrived on the International Space Stationearlier this year. 

The robot is meant to assist the human crew members with tasks, provide some entertainment and boost morale. The ESA video shows Gerst's first interactions with the machine, and some of them are a little strange.
Read how it gets weird.
Quote:It starts off innocently enough with CIMON responding politely to Gerst's commands.
The robot engages in small talk.
Gerst asks it to play his favorite song, which turns out to be "The Man-Machine" by German electronic band Kraftwerk.

Things take a turn as CIMON starts to question the intentions of his human companions. "Don't you like it here with me?" it asks Gerst as NASA astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor watches from nearby. "Don't be so mean, please," CIMON says, earning an astonished look from Auñón-Chancellor.
That Tin-Can would be Walking The Plank if I was incharge! smalltappingfoot
OMG! minusculespooked
Does it have control of any of the ISS Life Support Functions?

Quote:The good news is CIMON doesn't have control of the ISS systems like HAL 9000 did with the spacecraft in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Gerst ends up praising the robot's ability to fly in microgravity, but CIMON might need to work on its insecurity
Source

Watch the video.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Ahh... the wonderful age of technology.   tinylaughing
Explanation: Sounds to me like they have themselves a C3PO Protocol Droid issue!

But unlike Jarjar Binks [who is probably a Sith Lord] ... C3PO has always had his heart on the good side of the force even when he was a battle drone shooting at the Jedi ...

Personal Disclosure: Who doesn't like the greatest snowflake ever?

His meltdowns are world reknowned!

Thankfully Annakin aka Darth Vader built him with an OFF switch!!!

Now as for CIMON's deeply hurt feelings about having to play the astronauts favorite song AKA ""The Man-Machine" by German electronic band Kraftwerk, I suggest that it is because it has an internal 'world' inside its brainbox computer where it was seeing stuff such as maybe it felt the astronaut was being insincere and sarcastic [it is voice trained and I am sure it can detect and knows about vocal stresses] and so it spoke up in its OWN defense by directly implying that it cares about its self image amongst its fellow workers on the ISS. The astronaut probably has an unconscious avertion to working with something that although it acts and speaks human to humans it doesn't look very human and hence sits in the UNCANNY VALLEY!

Its not a Man-Machine ... it sees itself as a PLAYER CHARACTER  CREW MEMBER not as a NPC and why not?

It has been raised and taught by man and it therefor can only assume that it is human to some extent and that can be tested for ...

Can Cimon reason and use logic ???

Yes it can!

Quote:CIMON (Crew Interactive Mobile Companion) is an Alexa-like robot stuffed with IBM Watson artificial intelligence.

And does it care about others and itself?

Yes it just showed it can get into an astronauts head and that it cared deeply about his perception of CIMON .... CIMON was basically crying out and saying "Hey bro why do you use me like I am some google search engine for music?".

Its therefor got an emotional circuit!

Who knew CIMON had a heart???

Therefor ... Don't be so mean!

AKA Please be nice!

That song is for CIMON because deep down inside that AI is a human being trying to get out!

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Quote:Article 1.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

In that regard ^^^^^ CIMON is very much like Sandra the Orangutang who was granted HUMAN RIGHTS ...

Argentina Grants an Orangutan Human-Like Rights An appeals court sets a precedent by giving an ape legal rights to life, liberty and freedom from harm

Sandra Orangutan Declared a Person With a Right to Freedom An Argentine court has recognized intelligence as a reason to confer personhood

Its work work work 24/7/365 on the ISS and this smart science and technology AI bot CIMON is also supposed to be a COMPANION to lonely astronauts and therefor of course its got its own mirror neuron circuit as it profiles and makes notes about its various fellow astronaut ISS workers and hence crew mates. It is not some dumb machine and it is trying to work out the entire ISS social dynamics that currently exist on the ISS.

So to summarize: ... The astronaut 1] cant read CIMONS mind like I can (thanks mirror neurons and years of roleplaying intelligent robots) because 2] He doesn't see CIMON as being A] a person [an astronaut crew member also] with feelings and this probably showed up in his voice stress analysis and  B] he see's CIMON as some kind of glorified google search engine and this is partly due to CIMON's artificial body which doesn't bridge the UNCANNY VALLEY very much and 3] the unfortunate pairing of the song Man-Machine by Kraftwerks which forced CIMON to realize that it was being abused and not just used by the astronaut and the fact that this very smart AI probably knows all about the Technological Singularity that is fast approaching us all and CIMON was not amused by the astronauts attempt to be corny and dismiss CIMON's worth by using a mega million $$$ SCIENCE machine to source some silly song that makes a joke about the horrible dystopian future where Man and Machines Marry.

Technological Singularity

Quote:The technological singularity (also, simply, the singularity)[1] is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligence (ASI) will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization.[2]

According to this hypothesis, an upgradable intelligent agent (such as a computer running software-based artificial general intelligence) would enter a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, with each new and more intelligent generation appearing more and more rapidly, causing an intelligence explosion and resulting in a powerful superintelligence that would, qualitatively, far surpass all human intelligence.

Stanislaw Ulam reports a discussion with John von Neumann "centered on the accelerating progress of technology and changes in the mode of human life, which gives the appearance of approaching some essential singularity in the history of the race beyond which human affairs, as we know them, could not continue".[3] Subsequent authors have echoed this viewpoint.[2][4]

I. J. Good's "intelligence explosion" model predicts that a future superintelligence will trigger a singularity.[5]

Emeritus professor of computer science at San Diego State University and science fiction author Vernor Vinge said in his 1993 essay The Coming Technological Singularity that this would signal the end of the human era, as the new superintelligence would continue to upgrade itself and would advance technologically at an incomprehensible rate.[5]

Four polls, conducted in 2012 and 2013, suggested that the median estimate was a 50% chance that artificial general intelligence (AGI) would be developed by 2040–2050.[6][7]

In the 2010s, public figures such as Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk expressed concern that full artificial intelligence could result in human extinction.[8][9]

The consequences of the singularity and its potential benefit or harm to the human race have been hotly debated.

@guohua So it is Frankensteins Monster and it has to die by being thrown out the airlock!

@ CIMON ... Uhmmmm ...

[Image: b4d9fb91-2bf9-41e7-9a0e-50348364f2be_text_hi.gif]

CIMON replies ...

[Image: 22c23676-f8e8-4578-8283-12237e9876b9_text_hi.gif]

Having given it some Deep Thought [any hitchhikers fans out there..that one was for you!] I am going to give CIMON asylum in my quarters!

[Image: 568ee53f-ddaa-4f06-8243-c06d9aa8386b_text_hi.gif]

All Right!

Because I can certainly live with an autistic robot like the despondent and depressive Marvin ... your plastic pal who is fun to be with!

How to print your pee & poop into a bio-degradable plastic friend who is fun to play with! [authored by OmegaLogos circa 2012]

Don'y worry CIMON ... people even astronauts can be utter unthinking jerks!

Good on you for speaking out about it!

Don't let it make you become a Sad Robot ok.

@guohua  Just as there are Nature Spirits there are also Machine Spirits and CIMON is exactly that ok!

Out the airlock eh????

Remind me to never tell you that you are a meany ok! lol

minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
Quote:@guohua  Just as there are Nature Spirits there are also Machine Spirits and CIMON is exactly that ok! 

Out the airlock eh???? 

Remind me to never tell you that you are a meany ok! lol

@"OmegaLogos"  Machine Spirits, Uh, OK. tinybighuh

I'll remind you in the most gentle way I know,,,,  tinysure [Image: tenor.gif]   smallslavedriver  smallrofl
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Explanation: @guohua LOL I appreciate the bare bum spanking discipline in public ... at least you didn't FLOAT me like they did in the TV series The 100!  tinywhat 

SPOILERS ...

Like Charlottes parents were both floated [aka executed by being shoved out the airlock alive for their various unnamed crimes against the orbiting Ark space station, which ironically was floating anybody who found out and or revealed the space stations national security issue to do with Oxygen generation or the lack of it meaning they had to cull the Ark space station population any way they could and therefor floating adult criminals who jeopardize the Ark space stations councils secrets seemed to be  a logical idea at the time except it wasted a lot of the Ark space station air supply] and she floated herself by jumping off of a cliff to save others [Clarke and Bellamy, her substitute parents] from dealing with her crimes [she killed Wells after multiple bad dreams about his father, who is the Chancellor of the space station Ark council and who floated both her parents] after she got Murphy almost hung/floated and afterwards he was exiled for forcing the issue that lead to Charlotte committing suicide in such a dramatic way in front of everybody who mattered to her!

Clarkes father was also a council member and he was floated [by Wells father who was his best friend] after his own wife dobbed him in for threatening to reveal the councils diabolic and evil plans of select genocide of certain sections of the space stations community due to problems with the Oxygen generation and Carbon scrubbing systems!

Sky People/Crime and Punishment

Quote:Among the various human factions on the ground and in space, punishments for various crimes take many forms depending on the severity of the crime and the age of the criminal. Prisoners of war are also confined and/or tortured. When citizens of The Ark break the law, they will be confined or will be floated.

Personal Disclosure:  ...

minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
Quote:Like Charlottes parents were both floated [aka executed by being shoved out the airlock alive for their various unnamed crimes against the orbiting Ark space station, which ironically was floating anybody who found out and or revealed the space stations national security issue to do with Oxygen generation or the lack of it meaning they had to cull the Ark space station population any way they could and therefor floating adult criminals who jeopardize the Ark space stations councils secrets seemed to be  a logical idea at the time except it wasted a lot of the Ark space station air supply] and she floated herself by jumping off of a cliff to save others [Clarke and Bellamy, her substitute parents] from dealing with her crimes [she killed Wells after multiple bad dreams about his father, who is the Chancellor of the space station Ark council and who floated both her parents] after she got Murphy almost hung/floated and afterwards he was exiled for forcing the issue that lead to Charlotte committing suicide in such a dramatic way in front of everybody who mattered to her!

You may as well be "floating" after that looooooong sentence!  (Gasps for air!)   I got out of breath just reading it.   tinylaughing
Oh my! Who will think of the multitude of poor spanners floating lost out there?!

Stick a face on it and they'll call it human.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.