Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
72 Signals 'From Alien Galaxy' 3bn light Years Away... Maybe.
Boy In A Dress and myself -and possible Ninurta too, will be waiting with bated-breath to see
where this article goes. If someone called 'Judy Faltskog' shows up, then I'm sure we'll be in
for a weird ride!

Quote:SETI scientists spot 72 signals 'from alien galaxy' 3bn light years away.

Scientists do not yet know what causes the mysterious fast radio bursts, but a form of alien
transportation has been suggested.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4471]

'Scientists searching for extraterrestrial life say they have spotted 72 mysterious signals from an
alien galaxy using artificial intelligence (AI). The researchers at the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial
Intelligence) Institute discovered the unusual signals when examining 400 terabytes of radio data
from a dwarf galaxy three billion light years away from Earth.

Almost all artificial intelligence technology involves automating data analysis, combing through
huge data sets to identify patterns or unusual occurrences.

The signals they spotted -fast radio bursts (FRBs) -are bright and quick pulses which were first
discovered in 2007 and are believed to come from distant galaxies, although it is not yet know
what causes them.

"The nature of the object emitting them is unknown," SETI said, adding: "There are many theories,
including that they could be the signatures of technology developed by extraterrestrial intelligent life."

Last year, scientists at Harvard University suggested that FRBs could result from energy leaks from
powerful transmitters built by alien civilisations in order to send giant light sail ships on interstellar
voyages. A light sail would use the tiny amount of pressure exerted by light to produce a small but
constant acceleration which allows a spacecraft to reach a great speed.

The FRBs were detected in data collected by the Green Bank Telescope, part of the US Radio Quiet
Zone, where wireless communications signals are banned to prevent interference with the telescopes.

Gerry Zhang, a PhD student at Berkeley, developed the machine-learning algorithm used to examine
the 400tb of data, in which another researcher had already identified 21 FRBs.

"Gerry's work is exciting not just because it helps us understand the dynamic behavior of FRBs in
more detail," said SETI's Dr Andrew Siemion, "but also because of the promise it shows for using
machine learning to detect signals missed by classical algorithms."

Dr Siemion added: "These new techniques are already improving our sensitivity to signals from
extraterrestrial technologies." The results of their research have been accepted for publication in
the Astrophysical Journal...'
SOURCE:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
(09-11-2018, 09:26 PM)BIAD Wrote: Boy In A Dress and myself -and possible Ninurta too, will be waiting with bated-breath to see
where this article goes. If someone called 'Judy Faltskog' shows up, then I'm sure we'll be in
for a weird ride!

Quote:SETI scientists spot 72 signals 'from alien galaxy' 3bn light years away.

Scientists do not yet know what causes the mysterious fast radio bursts, but a form of alien
transportation has been suggested....
SOURCE:

Did you notice the type of language they were using there??

Quote:"These new techniques are already improving our sensitivity to signals from

extraterrestrial technologies."

They are saying, quite definitely, that there are existing EXTRATERRESTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES!!!
Jings. Crivvens. Help Ma Boab!

tinyhuh
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(09-11-2018, 09:40 PM)gordi Wrote: ...Did you notice the type of language they were using there??

Sort-of, I believe they're making it sound more complicated than it should be!

Quote:...They are saying, quite definitely, that there are existing EXTRATERRESTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES!!!

Help Ma'Boab indeed...! But it could be just Sky doing some word-play.

The first paragraph says:
'...have spotted 72 mysterious signals from an alien galaxy using artificial intelligence (AI)...'

But this could just be a deliberate shortcut to say the signals were found USING AI.
Slippery buggers with their keyboards!

Later, they comment:
'..."There are many theories, including that they could be the signatures of technology developed
by extraterrestrial intelligent life."...'
And:
'...Last year, scientists at Harvard University suggested that FRBs could result from energy leaks
from powerful transmitters built by alien civilisations in order to send giant light sail ships on
interstellar voyages...'

The sentences only have merit with the words 'could' and 'suggested'!

However, this final sentence is curious... 'Dr Siemion added: '..."These new techniques are already
improving our sensitivity to signals from extraterrestrial technologies."...' -but I'll wager it's not
being reported verbatim.
You guys haven't been paying attention to my threads for the past three or four years, have you?   smalltappingfoot 

Yep, there is aliens up there.  I just confirmed it. Now, go freak out or do what you need to do to cope with it.   tinylaughing
(09-11-2018, 10:18 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: You guys haven't been paying attention to my threads for the past three or four years, have you?   smalltappingfoot 

Yep, there is aliens up there.  I just confirmed it. Now, go freak out or do what you need to do to cope with it.   tinylaughing

LOL - I have no doubts that "they" are "there", I'm just astonished that they seem to have got a quote from a real scientist(?) confirming that there are existing extraterrestrial technologies! That's a BIG step IMHO.

G
(09-11-2018, 10:18 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: You guys haven't been paying attention to my threads for the past three or four years, have you?   smalltappingfoot 

Yup! Aliens are There and Here and Everywhere!

Hell!!  tinybiggrin

President Eisenhower had a least 3 meetings with the Aliens and even made a deal with them.
Link

The messages being picked up could be the Aliens complaining about us.
Like the Draconis ETs are probably complaining that most are to Fat and Lumpy or To Thin and Stringy to eat, not like the good old days when everyone worked and walked and ate Meat and Potatoes,,, Now the earthlings are Fat from video games and fast foods and sitting all day at a job or thin and stringy and buggy and wormy like N. Koreans or other 3rd. worlders.

Yup, you could be picking up their complaints home and then the replies.  mediumitwasntme

But then again you have this response from the Scientific Community,,,,,

Quote:It's still unclear what is causing the FRBs, with SETI describing their source and mechanism as "mysterious."

Theories include "highly magnetized neutron stars, blasted by gas streams near to a supermassive black hole, to suggestions that the burst properties are consistent with signatures of technology developed by an advanced civilization."

What makes the FRBs that are emanating from FRB 121102 interesting is that these are usually one-time events. However, FRB 121102 has been unusually active since it was discovered in 2012, with researchers calling it a "repeater."
Link
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(09-11-2018, 10:59 PM)gordi Wrote:

LOL - I have no doubts that "they" are "there", I'm just astonished that they seem to have got a quote from a real scientist(?) confirming that there are existing extraterrestrial technologies! That's a BIG step IMHO.

G

Aye. BIAD and I ran into just such a "real scientist(?)" once before. It was a hell of a ride. There were some eerie similarities.

I bring to your attention a couple of things:

Quote:Scientists do not yet know what causes the mysterious fast radio bursts,

and

Quote:The FRBs were detected in data collected by the Green Bank Telescope, part of the US Radio Quiet

Zone, where wireless communications signals are banned to prevent interference with the telescopes.

Green Bank, not far from where I sit, is a RADIO telescope as shown above. It's a pretty big radio telescope, but still a RADIO telescope.

Contrast that with this:

Quote:Last year, scientists at Harvard University suggested that FRBs could result from energy leaks from
powerful transmitters built by alien civilisations in order to send giant light sail ships on interstellar
voyages. A light sail would use the tiny amount of pressure exerted by light to produce a small but
constant acceleration which allows a spacecraft to reach a great speed.

Light sails are powered, as the name implies, by LIGHT beams (specifically, powerful lase beams), not radio beams.

BIAD and I have ridden in this rodeo before. A "NASA scientist" named Judy Faltskog claimed to have detected alien "UV signals" (UV is Ultra Violet LIGHT) in her radio telescope... that's like seeing a flashlight beam using a transistor radio. Just doesn't work. Different media. Apples and oranges.

And NASA had never heard of her. We checked.

It got wild. The book documenting the investigation and battle can be found on the internet. Just Google "the hoax heard round the world". without the quote marks. It's a free download.

A guy  in South Africa, an author named Wayne Herschel, picked up on it and popularized it, then tried desperately to back pedal out of the fiasco once he realized we were on to him. It got pretty rough.

Judy was uncovered to have been a former MAN, with a sex change operation, the former ID being one James van Greunen, perpetrator of the infamous Kalahari crash hoax. S/he continued the hoaxing streak with this one, and was driven underground by our intrepid investigators.

But there was much more. It was all documented in the book mentioned above.

Now we come to yet ANOTHER light signal being picked up on a RADIO telescope. It bears watching.

Has anyone alerted Wayne Herschel? Might be another book to sell in it for him!

P.S. - I have no doubt "they" are "there" either. I know it for fact. In fact, there are a bunch of aliens running a restaurant out in town, a few miles from here. It's called "El Sombrero", and has the best Mexican food around!

P.P.S. - 3 billion light years is a long way away, in both space and time. Light signals and radio signals both travel at the speed of light, meaning that a signal, whether radio or light, from 3 billion light years away is also 3 billion years old. The Earth is only 4.6 billion years old. 3 billion years ago, there was only nearly undetectable microbial life on Earth - and look what we have now. A lot can change in 3 billion years...

... including the collapse of entire alien civilizations, as the aliens evolve into even more alien forms.

Whomever was there, if anyone, most likely ain't there any more.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(09-12-2018, 09:08 AM)Ninurta Wrote: Aye. BIAD and I ran into just such a "real scientist(?)" once before. It was a hell of a ride. There were some eerie similarities...

...Whomever was there, if anyone, most likely ain't there any more.

I thought as much.
yup, yup and yup!
G
Ok this info is from SETI, for me that means two things
1: They are running low on money and want to get public interest so they can get more funding
2: there is some big grant coming up and they want to use the public interest to help get it.
With SETI its all about the money
What was really meant -but presumed boring by those Journalists who are better than their readers, was...

Quote:'...In August of 2017, the Listen science team at the University of California, Berkeley SETI Research
Center observed FRB 121102 for five hours, using digital instrumentation at the GBT.

Combing through 400 TB of data, they reported (in a paper led by Berkeley SETI postdoctoral researcher
Vishal Gajjar, recently accepted for publication in the Astrophysical Journal a total of 21 bursts
 All were seen within one hour, suggesting that the source alternates between periods of quiescence and
frenzied activity.

Now, Zhang and collaborators have developed a new machine learning algorithm, and reanalyzed the 2017
GBT dataset, finding an additional 72 bursts that were not detected originally.
They trained an algorithm known as a convolutional neural network to recognize bursts found by the classical
search method used by Gajjar and collaborators, and then set it loose on the 400 TB dataset to find bursts
that the classical approach missed.

"Gerry's work is exciting not just because it helps us understand the dynamic behavior of FRBs in more detail,"
remarked SETI Institute Bernard M. Oliver Chair for SETI Dr. Andrew Siemion, "but also because of the promise
it shows for using machine learning to detect signals missed by classical algorithms." 

But being the Chairman fro SETI, he had to add...

Quote:'...He went on to say that “these new techniques are already improving our sensitivity to signals from
extraterrestrial technologies.”...'
SOURCE:

He could've inserted the word 'assumed' near the end of his sentence, but since Dr. Siemion's chairmanship
involves searching for extraterrestrial life and their ways of signalling they exist, one can see why he would say it.
(09-12-2018, 11:53 AM)BIAD Wrote: What was really meant -but presumed boring by those Journalists who are better than their readers, was...

Quote:'...In August of 2017, the Listen science team at the University of California, Berkeley SETI Research
Center observed FRB 121102 for five hours, using digital instrumentation at the GBT.

Combing through 400 TB of data, they reported (in a paper led by Berkeley SETI postdoctoral researcher
Vishal Gajjar, recently accepted for publication in the Astrophysical Journal a total of 21 bursts
 All were seen within one hour, suggesting that the source alternates between periods of quiescence and
frenzied activity.

Now, Zhang and collaborators have developed a new machine learning algorithm, and reanalyzed the 2017
GBT dataset, finding an additional 72 bursts that were not detected originally.
They trained an algorithm known as a convolutional neural network to recognize bursts found by the classical
search method used by Gajjar and collaborators, and then set it loose on the 400 TB dataset to find bursts
that the classical approach missed.

"Gerry's work is exciting not just because it helps us understand the dynamic behavior of FRBs in more detail,"
remarked SETI Institute Bernard M. Oliver Chair for SETI Dr. Andrew Siemion, "but also because of the promise
it shows for using machine learning to detect signals missed by classical algorithms." 

But being the Chairman fro SETI, he had to add...

Quote:'...He went on to say that “these new techniques are already improving our sensitivity to signals from
extraterrestrial technologies.”...'
SOURCE:

He could've inserted the word 'assumed' near the end of his sentence, but since Dr. Siemion's chairmanship
involves searching for extraterrestrial life and their ways of signalling they exist, one can see why he would say it.
Not wanting to go Off-Topic, but I found this Interesting and Strange.
Could it by chance have anything to do with the activity at SETI?
Could our ships or alien ones be using the using this activity with the Sun to Fuel their or our ships?

Quote:National Solar Observatory Mysteriously Closed As Geomagnetic Storm Looms
Now, the next part may be of interest.

Quote:The National Solar Observatory in Sunspot, New Mexico has been closed since last Thursday.
ABC-7 Monday spoke with Shari Lifson, who is with AURA, the company that co-manages the Observatory with NMSU.
Quote:“The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy who manages the facility is addressing a security issue at this time. We have decided to vacate the facility at this time as precautionary measure. It was our decision to evacuate the facility.”
[size]
Lifson told ABC 7 there is no time-table for the Observatory to be re-opened.
ABC-7 also reached out to the FBI, but did not hear back from the federal agency in time for deadline. The FBI did speak with local law enforcement about the length of the observatory closure.
[/size]
Quote:“The FBI is refusing to tell us what’s going on. We’ve got people up there (at Sunspot) that requested us to standby while they evacuate it. Nobody would really elaborate on any of the circumstances as to why.
The FBI were up there. What their purpose was nobody will say. But for the FBI to get involved that quick and be so secretive about it, there was a lot of stuff going on up there.
There was a Blackhawk helicopter, a bunch of people around antennas and work crews on towers but nobody would tell us anything.”
OK, for the FBI to be involved, there much be some sort of National Security Threat,,,, Yes?
Quote:The FBI did not tell Sheriff House the reason for the closure. Sheriff Benny House did tell ABC 7 that his local law enforcement did not have anything to do with either the observatory closure.

For the conspiracy-minded, Sunspot is a mere 130 miles from Roswell, New Mexico, and about 90 miles from the White Sands Missile Range. Established in 1958, the observatory predates the unincorporated area in the Sacramento Mountains that was named for it.
Aw-Ha! Gotcha!  tinyangry
Or maybe not,,,, tinysure
We are both still thinking that maybe, just maybe with the extra strong sun spot activity occurring, ship may be refueling, like the one they caught a couple of years ago absorbing energy from the sun.

What is going on now,,, today? The same thing, just they don't want it to be recorded this time?
Quote:All of which would be odd enough, but as SHTFplan.com's Mac Slavo details below, the observatory is closed just as a massive hole has opened up in the Sun’s corona, which means we’re officially on watch for a geomagnetic storm.  Auroras will be likely across much of North America as the sun heads into a solar minimum.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has issued a storm watch for a G2-level solar storm on September 11.

That’s a moderate storm on the 5-level scale, with G5 being the highest, according to Science Alert.  We’re currently heading into a solar minimum, the least active period of the Sun’s 11-year cycle. That means there will be a much lower sunspot, coronal mass ejection, and solar flare activity.

Source
Are they worried that the event will be recorded again?
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]