Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church of Scotland creates pamphlet
(03-13-2018, 05:24 PM)gordi Wrote: Have you ever met a true Scotsman in a PROPER Kilt? (NOT one of those party ones in the photo.) I would invite you all to do so and to try questioning his gender identity in relation to the wearing of The Kilt. (I hope that you like hospital food.)

Not  a true Scotsman, although there is some lowland Scot in my ancestry (McElwaine from Ayrshire and McCune from God only knows where), but my son is prone to wearing a kilt. A great heavy woolen thing. I'd post a photo, but I don't know where they are at the moment, Unlike me, he's got the legs for it.

I did make the mistake of asking him where he got his skirt...

... and no, I don't like hospital food. The mashed potatoes kept clogging up the straw.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-14-2018, 09:17 PM)guohua Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 04:44 PM)gordi Wrote: I'll need them back by the way, and not covered in mayo this time!
tinysurprised

I like mine served with Sticky Rice and Rice Wine.  tinybigeyes

That sticky rice is pretty good stuff. Not sure about the rice wine, though. Might be too much for my delicate constitution.

There was this little Thai Buddhist monk that used to come over from the temple and bring me grub when I was standing guard duty. He'd bring all kinds of stuff like fresh coconuts still in that green husk outside the shell, and grass tea (the little chunks of gelatin or whatever that was floating in it took some getting used to) and longans still on the branch (those reminded me of big fat grapes covered in a thick leather skin) and coconut juice with shreds of coconut floating around in it, and some stuff I don't even know the name of, but what I recall the best was little loaves of sticky rice wrapped up in banana leaves. Those loaves of sticky rice had some kind of meat running right through the center of them, and there I was thinking Buddhists were vegetarians all that time up to then. I've no idea what kind of meat it was, but it was the funniest color of red, even cooked. I never asked what it was, figuring I might not want to know - I just ate it and was grateful for it. My guess was either cat or dog, because I know it wasn't pork, and it was too reddish for cooked beef.

I miss that sticky rice. I've never been able to duplicate it, probably mostly because I don't know what I'm doing.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(03-15-2018, 06:40 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 09:17 PM)guohua Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 04:44 PM)gordi Wrote: I'll need them back by the way, and not covered in mayo this time!
tinysurprised

I like mine served with Sticky Rice and Rice Wine.  tinybigeyes

That sticky rice is pretty good stuff. Not sure about the rice wine, though. Might be too much for my delicate constitution.

There was this little Thai Buddhist monk that used to come over from the temple and bring me grub when I was standing guard duty. He'd bring all kinds of stuff like fresh coconuts still in that green husk outside the shell, and grass tea (the little chunks of gelatin or whatever that was floating in it took some getting used to) and longans still on the branch (those reminded me of big fat grapes covered in a thick leather skin) and coconut juice with shreds of coconut floating around in it, and some stuff I don't even know the name of, but what I recall the best was little loaves of sticky rice wrapped up in banana leaves. Those loaves of sticky rice had some kind of meat running right through the center of them, and there I was thinking Buddhists were vegetarians all that time up to then. I've no idea what kind of meat it was, but it was the funniest color of red, even cooked. I never asked what it was, figuring I might not want to know - I just ate it and was grateful for it. My guess was either cat or dog, because I know it wasn't pork, and it was too reddish for cooked beef.

I miss that sticky rice. I've never been able to duplicate it, probably mostly because I don't know what I'm doing.

Yes, most monks / buddhist are vegetarian, but there are exceptions.
Some Monks will eat meat and are allowed to IF the animal was NOT Killed by them for food.
Their favorite meat is Ox, Fish, Chicken and Dog.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]