Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Tech Neck" or "Techie Hunchback"
Yes, I have found an article that explains in very Plain English a problem I've been treating.
The patients I've been seeing are between the ages of 15 to 25 years old.
Once you read this article you'll understand why I blame the Parents most of the time, their response,,, Every bodies kids have cell phones.
Quote:Tech is turning millennials into a generation of hunchbacks
The biggest problem is the Spinal Cord to the base of the Head and between the Shoulders and Lower Back. 
[Image: neck_scan1a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=189] 

Quote:In this X-ray of a patient with forward head syndrome, which can stem from leaning over cellphones and laptops, the red line shows a deviated neck and spine. Known as “tech neck,” it’s increasingly seen in young people. The green line represents the ideal natural spinal curve, says chiropractor Christian Kang.
Yes you can.
Quote:For years, Charles Youn, 29, suffered from upper-back pain and neck soreness that made him hunch his shoulders and caused him to wake up numerous times throughout every night. He was in pain and constantly fatigued, drinking too much coffee to combat the sluggishness.

“I learned to live with it,” says Youn, who works in development for leadership nonprofit Outward Bound and lives on the Upper East Side. “My upper back and neck would be so tight. My neck was always bent forward, and I just thought that’s how it was going to be.”

This past fall, Youn consulted with chiropractor Dr. Christian Kang, who has a practice in the Flatiron District and explained he was holding his problem in the palms of his hands: his laptop and iPhone were causing his pain.

Youn suffers from “tech neck,” or forward head syndrome, a painful, increasingly common condition caused by slumping over devices for hours a day that leads the neck to lose its natural curve — and triggers a physiological imbalance in the upper body.

Previously seen in middle-aged-or-older desk jockeys and dentists who hunch over patients, it’s now materializing in younger generations who grew up with smart phones, tablets and other personal devices.

“Now, 20-year-olds have the spine health of a 30- or 40-year-old. It’s an epidemic,” says Kang.

Dr. Brian Wallace, a chiropractor based in Bernardsville, NJ, says he’s witnessing the same thing at his practice. “We’re seeing it in younger and younger children because they’re getting their phones at a younger age,” he says. “It’s one of the most common things we see.”

According to a 2016 study by the research firm Influence Central, the average age at which an American child gets their first smartphone is 10.3 years.
Does a 10 year old really need a cell phone? tinysure

Quote:As the posture worsens, the upper back muscles stretch out, while the muscles in the front of the body become weaker and the neck creeps forward, which can make the head feel at least 10 pounds heavier than it is.

Not only does it cause structural problems in the neck and back; Wallace says it can also spark breathing and panic issues.

“When you have that forward-rolled posture, it has a profound impact on the breathing.

Children have become shallow breathers, which then affects anxiety levels because your nervous system can’t function properly,” says Wallace, adding that medical issues such as asthma and allergies can develop.
If you're interested in the rest of the article: Source
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Thus one more reason why I love my desktop so much with the screen at eye level. 

I see this being a big problem as more and more people are affected by this "Techie Hunchback". That will include just about every person out there under 40 won't it?  I mean, it's so 'not cool' to have a desktop these days.  Smart Phones are 'what's cool', right?  

My reply:     minusculetongue  At least I don't have a techie hunchback.   tinylaughing