Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
80 Million Years Old,,,,, and still Alive!?
It's a Damn Ugly Fish, that is for sure, they have found one alive and well, and this ugly thing hasn't changed in 80 million years.
[Image: 1110frilledsharkhead2.jpg]
Quote:PREHISTORIC, DINOSAUR-ERA SHARK WITH INSANE TEETH FOUND SWIMMING OFF COAST OF PORTUGAL
A living Fossil they said.

Quote:The rare frilled shark is considered a “living fossil,” because evidence of its existence dates back to at least 80 million years ago. This summer, researchers found one alive and thriving off the coast of Portugal, adding yet more clues about the resilience of this ancient sea creature.
So it's classified as part of the Shark Family.
Quote:Scientists believe the frilled shark has remained the same, both inside and out, since the Cretaceous Period, when the Tyrannosaurus Rex and Triceratops still roamed the planet.
The creature, known by scientists as 
Chlamydoselachus anguineus, is incredibly simple and unevolved, most likely due to the lack of nutrients found in its deep-sea dwellings.
 A Japanese 
study of the shark found in Suruga Bay, Japan, revealed that its diet is 61 percent cephalopods—the class to which squids and octopus belong.
Quote:
Quote:This deep sea dweller is usually found between 390 and 4,200 feet below the surface, which is why it’s rarely seen and wasn’t even discovered before the 19th century (despite being around long before humans).

Source
There is more to read at the above link.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
How would you like to be swimming in the ocean and get bit by that thing!   tinyhuh 

That's pretty amazing. Makes me wonder what else they've cloned down there?
This does nothing but confirm my rational fear of the ocean  tinycool
(11-13-2017, 01:23 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: How would you like to be swimming in the ocean and get bit by that thing!   tinyhuh 

That's pretty amazing. Makes me wonder what else they've cloned down there?

You think this is a Clone?
Why not clone something Soft and Fuzzy  tinybigeyes ?
(11-13-2017, 01:32 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: This does nothing but confirm my rational fear of the ocean  tinycool
My husband agrees, he hates the Ocean.
(11-13-2017, 04:29 PM)guohua Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 01:32 PM)DuckforcoveR Wrote: This does nothing but confirm my rational fear of the ocean  tinycool
Here is a link to a video of a frilled shark that lived in captivity for a short time in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xry342A-utI
(06-23-2020, 06:23 PM)butcherguy Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 04:29 PM)guohua Wrote:
Here is a link to a video of a frilled shark that lived in captivity for a short time in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xry342A-utI

Nice, here you go,,,,,
The sea is just as unexplored as space to me. Can you imagine the species tucked away right in the deepest caverns. Great thread never seen or heard of this. When I saw the headline i thought you were talking about prince phillip!! minusculebiggrin
@"TheDoctor46" 
Quote:The sea is just as unexplored as space to me.

Have you seen this?
 Does anyone believe in Mermaids? Do you believe this video?
Are Frilled sharks really that rare or is it that we rarely observe and record them?

I mean, even Wikipedia use confusing adjectives to hint at their scarcity and yet these strange fish still
manage to find each other and mate!

Quote:Distribution and habitat:
'...Rather uncommon, the frilled shark has been recorded from a number of widely scattered locations
in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. In the eastern Atlantic, it occurs off northern Norway, northern
Scotland, and western Ireland, from France to Morocco including Madeira, and off Mauritania.

In the central Atlantic, it has been caught at several locations along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, from north of
the Azores to the Rio Grande Rise off southern Brazil, as well as over the Vavilov Ridge off West Africa.

In the western Atlantic, it has been reported from waters off New England, Georgia, and Suriname.

In the western Pacific, it is known from southeastern Honshu, Japan, to Taiwan, off New South Wales and
Tasmania in Australia, and around New Zealand. In the central and eastern Pacific, it has been found off
Hawaii and California in the US, and northern Chile.

The frilled sharks off southern Africa were described as a different species, C. africana, in 2009.
The frilled shark inhabits the outer continental shelf and upper to middle continental slope, seeming to favor
upwellings and other biologically productive areas.

Though it has been caught from a depth of 1,570 m (5,150 ft), it usually does not occur deeper than 1,000 m
(3,300 ft).[1][6] In Suruga Bay, it is most common at a depth of 50–200 m (160–660 ft), except from August
to November when the temperature at the 100 m (330 ft) water layer exceeds 15 °C (59 °F) and the sharks
shift into deeper water.

On rare occasions, this species has been seen at the surface.
The frilled shark is usually found close to the bottom, with one individual observed swimming over an area of
small sand dunes. However, its diet suggests that it does make substantial forays upward into open water.

This species may make vertical migrations, approaching the surface at night to feed.
There is spatial segregation by size and reproductive condition...'

(I didn't mean to be a 'Debbie Downer'!!)
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
@"BIAD" 
Quote:(I didn't mean to be a 'Debbie Downer'!!)

My Dear BIAD, YOU can be anything you want, it's my ship and you're my favorite cabin boy  kiss  smallrofl
(11-13-2017, 03:58 AM)guohua Wrote: It's a Damn Ugly Fish, that is for sure, they have found one alive and well, and this ugly thing hasn't changed in 80 million years.
[Image: 1110frilledsharkhead2.jpg]
Quote:PREHISTORIC, DINOSAUR-ERA SHARK WITH INSANE TEETH FOUND SWIMMING OFF COAST OF PORTUGAL
A living Fossil they said.

Quote:The rare frilled shark is considered a “living fossil,” because evidence of its existence dates back to at least 80 million years ago. This summer, researchers found one alive and thriving off the coast of Portugal, adding yet more clues about the resilience of this ancient sea creature.
So it's classified as part of the Shark Family.
Quote:Scientists believe the frilled shark has remained the same, both inside and out, since the Cretaceous Period, when the Tyrannosaurus Rex and Triceratops still roamed the planet.
The creature, known by scientists as 
Chlamydoselachus anguineus, is incredibly simple and unevolved, most likely due to the lack of nutrients found in its deep-sea dwellings.
 A Japanese 
study of the shark found in Suruga Bay, Japan, revealed that its diet is 61 percent cephalopods—the class to which squids and octopus belong.
Quote:
Quote:This deep sea dweller is usually found between 390 and 4,200 feet below the surface, which is why it’s rarely seen and wasn’t even discovered before the 19th century (despite being around long before humans).

Source
There is more to read at the above link.

I am an animal lover, that may be way I can see its beauty.

I can't stand anything that creep,s crawls, or flies, to touch me, but even in the insect world there are some beautiful creatures.

Well in my eyes anyway.  tinywondering

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(07-19-2020, 06:40 AM)guohua Wrote: @"TheDoctor46" 

Have you seen this?

Looks to me, like the guy sitting in the middle, can hardly hold back laughter.

What ... is a humanoid creature ... doing there?  Have you ever seen humans swim underwater?  They're not designed for it.  And, anything that was, would probably avoid that submersible, not reach out and slap its hand to the glass.

I'm calling hoax.
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(07-19-2020, 03:43 PM)Snarl Wrote:

Have you seen this?

Looks to me, like the guy sitting in the middle, can hardly hold back laughter.

What ... is a humanoid creature ... doing there?  Have you ever seen humans swim underwater?  They're not designed for it.  And, anything that was, would probably avoid that submersible, not reach out and slap its hand to the glass.

I'm calling hoax.

I have to ask, why would a creature that does not have contact with humans slap the window and make itself known?

Then I was thinking, they may have been moving in the direction of a family or group caring for young and the one tried to get their attention to move away or fallow it.

Actually, I would like to hear from our photoshop members, like @"BIAD"  @"gordi"  and others here if the two camera shot they caught of this creature looks real or photoshopped.

Also, I'm not sure but was it Animal Planet or some other Cable show caught in a Hoax some years ago about mermaids?

Have you seen this?

Incredible if true.  Looks good to me. Maybe the creature ran into the sub chasing fish?.  Though these days with the technology available anything's possible. Could be photoshopping at its finest  minusculebeercheers
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8031]
(07-19-2020, 07:52 PM)guohua Wrote: I have to ask, why would a creature that does not have contact with humans slap the window and make itself known?

Then I was thinking, they may have been moving in the direction of a family or group caring for young and the one tried to get their attention to move away or fallow it.

Actually, I would like to hear from our photoshop members, like @"BIAD"  @"gordi"  and others here if the two camera shot they caught of this creature looks real or photoshopped.

Also, I'm not sure but was it Animal Planet or some other Cable show caught in a Hoax some years ago about mermaids?

Well, IMHO the movement of the creature lacks any sign the inertia/momentum that I'd expect an animal of that size to have.
(It changes speed and direction too quickly for me, showing a lack of real mass.)
Have you ever watched footage of deep-sea divers?
It's like they're almost moving in slo-mo, partly because of their mass and partly because of the drag imposed by the water.

Granted some sea-creatures can move and change direction much quicker than human divers, but that figure looked humanoid(ish) to me? The movement just screamed CGI to me.

The two camera angles are fairly convincing at first glance, but with the modern video graphics software that's available now, I think it would be fairly routine to create two synched views of any CGI creature they created. (Just watch ANY modern sci-fi / horror film with a creature in it!)

My gut feeling is HOAX.
G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
Quote:My gut feeling is HOAX.

Over at ATS, someone commented that Animal Planet had gotten up to hoaxes before. (I have no idea how true that assertion is.)

The "mermaid" tale I like is the one of the entities on the bottom of Lake Baikal who gave Russian divers a hard time.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

@"gordi" 
I suppose it could very well be a hoax and probably is.

Looks like in 2013 Animal Planet showed a Mermaid Documentary that was a Hoax.

Quote:Mermaid hoax drowns Animal Planet's ratings record 

Quote:The most-watched telecast in Animal Planet’s history is about mermaids.

Sunday’s “documentary” Mermaids: The New Evidence delivered 3.6 million viewers, shattering the network’s ratings record. Yup, even bigger than the Puppy Bowl. The program is not only a hoax, but a sequel to a hoax — to last year’s rather effortlessly debunked Mermaids: The Body Found, which fooled more viewers than you’d think.
 Animal Planet

All for Ratings. How can anyone watch TV and accept what they are seeing or being shown as real, all of TV is Fake.
I guess that is another reason why we haven't had one in our house since 2005 I think.

Have you seen this?

It looks like P.T. Barnum's "Fiji Mermaid" to me:

[Image: Feejee_mermaid.jpg]

The Fiji Mermaid(s) - there were acxtually several produced after the success of the first one shown above - were known hoaxes, sewing a monkey body to a fish tail to create sideshow exhibits for the titillation of the masses - and to extract coins from their pockets.

With that said, I recall the Animal Planet "mermaid hoax" in 2013, and I recall wondering, often aloud, at the sort of person that would take that seriously as a real documentary. I watched it, and it was very obvious to me that it was never meant as a real documentary. It was not an intentional hoax, but gullible people wanting to believe did so, and when the inevitable reveal occurred, they are the ones who labeled it as a "hoax" in a fit of letdown pique - it was never meant to be serious. It was just a flight of fantasy on Animal Planet - sort of like the "what will the world be like a million years into the future" "documentaries" that were prevalent on the History channel back then. No one took them to be actual documentaries, and I was mystified why anyone took the Animal Planet show as one.

Mistaking that show for a documentary would be like mistaking the move "Splash" as a documentary.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-19-2020, 09:22 PM)Ninurta Wrote: It looks like P.T. Barnum's "Fiji Mermaid" to me:

[Image: Feejee_mermaid.jpg]

The Fiji Mermaid(s) - there were acxtually several produced after the success of the first one shown above - were known hoaxes, sewing a monkey body to a fish tail to create sideshow exhibits for the titillation of the masses - and to extract coins from their pockets.

With that said, I recall the Animal Planet "mermaid hoax" in 2013, and I recall wondering, often aloud, at the sort of person that would take that seriously as a real documentary. I watched it, and it was very obvious to me that it was never meant as a real documentary. It was not an intentional hoax, but gullible people wanting to believe did so, and when the inevitable reveal occurred, they are the ones who labeled it as a "hoax" in a fit of letdown pique - it was never meant to be serious. It was just a flight of fantasy on Animal Planet - sort of like the "what will the world be like a million years into the future" "documentaries" that were prevalent on the History channel back then. No one took them to be actual documentaries, and I was mystified why anyone took the Animal Planet show as one.

I think Barnum made this one too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8124]
Melissa “Mish” Zimdars.
tinybiggrin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe.