Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gorilla Shot Dead After Toddler Climbs Through Enclosure in Cincinnati
Sharing this story that is not far from me. 
At the Cincinnati Zoo, a 4 year old climbed through a fence and fell into the enclosure . The 17 year gorilla grab the child dragging him and throwing him violently. The zoo officials shot the gorilla killing him.
Now, this outdoor gorilla center has been in operation for some 30 years. 

Where were the parents?

Quote:A 17-year-old gorilla was shot dead Saturday by a Cincinnati Zoo employee who feared the animal would harm a child who had climbed into its enclosure, according to officials.[/color]
[color=#232323]The 4-year-old boy climbed under a railing and through wires and fell about 10 feet into the enclosure at about 4 p.m., said Cincinnati Zoo director Thayne Maynard.
First responders "witnessed a gorilla who was violently dragging and throwing the child," Cincinnati Fire Department Chief Marc Monahan wrote in a statement.
Once "the threat from the gorilla was neutralized by a Cincinnati Zoo employee with one shot from a long rifle," the child was retrieved and brought to Cincinnati Children's Hospital with serious injuries, the statement said. The child, who has not been identified, remained conscious during the entire incident, which lasted more than 10 minutes, the statement said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gori...?cid=sm_fb
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
Oh, that's horrible!  
I hope the child will be okay. 
It's sad the gorilla had to be killed.  It's just a sad situation all the way around.
I was thinking...why the hell didn't they use tranquilizers?

But the answer is in the source...

Quote:He said the gorilla wasn't tranquilized because in such a large animal it would take several minutes for the tranquilizer to take effect.

Parents that enjoy their own time more than looking over their kids cost that gorilla its life.

Sad.
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
I agree.....where the hell were the parents?????

Now you watch, betcha the parents will want to sue the zoo for something.

Need to start holding parents responsible for neglecting their kids, not keeping an eye on them.

Such a horrible incident that could have been prevented had someone been keeping tabs on the youngster.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(05-29-2016, 11:28 PM)senona Wrote: I agree.....where the hell were the parents?????

Now you watch, betcha the parents will want to sue the zoo for something.

Need to start holding parents responsible for neglecting their kids, not keeping an eye on them.

Such a horrible incident that could have been prevented had someone been keeping tabs on the youngster.

Completely agree. The article I read earlier even said that the kid kept telling his parents "I want to go in there". They ignored him and he went. I'll bet they were working on getting a killer picture for FB...no pun intended :thumbsdown:
What a terribly  sad situation.

The parents should shoulder  the bulk of the responsibility, but what or why are the enclosures not protected from such occurrences? How is it a child could get through the enclosure?
The latest on the story.....

'Accidents happen' Fury as family pass off gorilla shooting after child fell in enclosure

Looks like we aren't the only ones questioning the parents whereabouts when the kid fell in the gorilla enclosure

Quote:THE mother of the four-year-old boy who fell into a gorilla enclosure causing the animal to be shot has said that "accidents happen."

Not a very good remark to make IMO
Not when the gorilla was killed due to protecting your child that YOU were supposed to be watching

Quote:A petition has since been set up on change.org calling for the parents to be charged with child negligence and the death of an endangered animal. 

Being signed by more than 100,000 people, it says: “This beautiful gorilla lost his life because the boy's parents did not keep a closer watch on the child.

[Image: 725422dd3a46489ab2db0dbd8a66b94f.png]

[Image: 06d9f1813e60416c8357f0b92213e1af.png]

Quote:“We the undersigned believe that the child would not have been able to enter the enclosure under proper parental supervision. 

“It is believed that the situation was caused by parental negligence and the zoo is not responsible for the child's injuries and possible trauma.

“We the undersigned want the parents to be held accountable for the lack of supervision and negligence that caused Harambe to lose his life. 

“We the undersigned feel the child's safety is paramount in this situation. We believe that this negligence may be reflective of the child's home situation.

“We the undersigned actively encourage an investigation of the child's home environment in the interests of protecting the child and his siblings from further incidents of parental negligence that may result in serious bodily harm or even death.”

The Mom said the boy was able to walk away with a concussion and a few scrapes... no broken bones or internal injuries.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

The parents absolutely could have prevented this from happening!!! What the hell is wrong with people, I don't take my eyes off my kids in public and have a mini heart attack if i lose sight of them, I am a bit weird though and probably a bit over protective but theres so many dangers in a public place, kids of that age are very inquisitive and very fast, anything can happen in a split second not only something like this but someone taking your kid or anything, we see that way too often as well.