Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Age-reversing Pill Will Begin Human Trials in Six Months
Quote:
  • Scientists have discovered a key signalling process in DNA repair
  • They have used this process in the development of a drug to reverse ageing 
  • Trials on mice found that the pill repaired DNA damage after a week
  • Nasa wants the new technology to protect its astronauts from solar radiation

[Image: 3E90C3AD00000578-4343142-image-a-49_1490287795555.jpg]

Professor Sinclair and his colleague Dr Lindsay Wu identified that the call signalling molecule NAD+, which is naturally present in every cell in the body, has a key role in protein interactions that control DNA repair. The human trials will begin this year at Brigham and Women's Hospital, in Boston.

Quote:During trials on mice, the team found that the drug directly repaired DNA damage caused by radiation exposure or old age.
'The cells of the old mice were indistinguishable from the young mice after just one week of treatment,' said lead author Professor David Sinclair.
Human trials of the pill will begin within six months.

'This is the closest we are to a safe and effective anti-ageing drug that's perhaps only three to five years away from being on the market if the trials go well,' said Professor Sinclair.

The work has drawn the attention of Nasa, which is considering the challenge of keeping its astronauts healthy during a four-year mission to Mars. 

Even on short missions, astronauts experience accelerated ageing from cosmic radiation, suffering from muscle weakness, memory loss and other symptoms when they return.

On a trip to Mars, the situation would be far worse: Five per cent of the astronauts' cells would die and their chances of cancer would approach 100 per cent.

Professor Sinclair and his colleague Dr Lindsay Wu were winners in NASA's iTech competition in December last year.
'We came in with a solution for a biological problem and it won the competition out of 300 entries,' Dr Wu said.

Cosmic radiation is not only an issue for astronauts. We're all exposed to it aboard aircraft, with a London-Singapore-Melbourne flight roughly equivalent in radiation to a chest x-ray.

In theory, the anti-ageing pill could mitigate any effects of DNA damage for frequent flyers.The other group that could benefit from this work is survivors of childhood cancers.
Dr Wu says 96 per cent of childhood cancer survivors suffer a chronic illness by age 45, including cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, and cancers unrelated to the original cancer.

'All of this adds up to the fact they have accelerated ageing, which is devastating,' he said.
'It would be great to do something about that, and we believe we can with this molecule.'

The experiments in mice, from a team at the University of New South Wales, suggest a treatment for these issues is possible through a new drug.
While our cells can naturally repair DNA damage - such as damage caused by the sun - this ability declines with age.
The scientists identified that the call signalling molecule NAD+, which is naturally present in every cell in the body, has a key role in protein interactions that control DNA repair.

Treating mice with an NAD+ 'booster' called NMN improved their cells' ability to repair DNA damage caused by radiation exposure or ageing 
For the past four years, Professor Sinclair and Dr Wu have been working on making NMN into a drug substance with their companies MetroBiotech NSW and MetroBiotech International.

See video on the Source Page

So, it's only for the astronauts to use first.  Looks like we peons might be waiting in line several more years.   tinycrying
Yes, I Know, That is a Shame, Sure it's Great for Astronauts.
But I'd like to Volunteer.
Of-course you know if it works we, The Lowly Commoner would never know or could afford it.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Explanation: Uhmmmm?...

@Mystic Wanderer

Quote:So, it's only for the astronauts to use first.  Looks like we peons might be waiting in line several more years. tinycrying

And @[b]guohua

[/b]
Quote:Yes, I Know, That is a Shame, Sure it's Great for Astronauts.
But I'd like to Volunteer.
Of-course you know if it works we, The Lowly Commoner would never know or could afford it.

Ahhhh how do I put this gently to you lovely ladies?  minusculethinking

Cough! BULLSHIT! Cough! mediumbagpiper mediumscotshowingbutt

Personal Disclosure: I look up NAD+ and NMN online using Google [oh the shame] and I found out the following things on wiki [oh the double shame] ...

NAD+ [wiki]

Quote:Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) is a coenzyme found in all living cells. The compound is a dinucleotide, because it consists of two nucleotides joined through their phosphate groups. One nucleotide contains an adenine base and the other nicotinamide. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide exists in two forms, an oxidized and reduced form abbreviated as NAD+ and NADH respectively.

In metabolism, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide is involved in redox reactions, carrying electrons from one reaction to another. The coenzyme is, therefore, found in two forms in cells: NAD+ is an oxidizing agent – it accepts electrons from other molecules and becomes reduced. This reaction forms NADH, which can then be used as a reducing agent to donate electrons. These electron transfer reactions are the main function of NAD. However, it is also used in other cellular processes, the most notable one being a substrate of enzymes that add or remove chemical groups from proteins, in posttranslational modifications. Because of the importance of these functions, the enzymes involved in NAD metabolism are targets for drug discovery.

In organisms, NAD can be synthesized from simple building-blocks (de novo) from the amino acids tryptophan or aspartic acid. In an alternative fashion, more complex components of the coenzymes are taken up from food as the vitamin called niacin. Similar compounds are released by reactions that break down the structure of NAD. These preformed components then pass through a salvage pathway that recycles them back into the active form. Some NAD is also converted into nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP); the chemistry of this related coenzyme is similar to that of NAD, but it has different roles in metabolism.

And ...

NMN [wiki]
[/url]
Quote:Nicotinamide mononucleotide ("NMN" and "β-NMN") is a nucleotide derived from ribose and nicotinamide.[1] Niacinamide (nicotinamide) is a derivative of vitamin B3, also known as niacin.[2] As a biochemical precursor of NAD+, it may be useful in the prevention of pellagra.[3]

Its precursor, niacin, is found in a variety of nutritional sources: peanuts, mushrooms (portobello, grilled), avocados, green peas (fresh), and certain fish and animal meats.[4]

In studies on mice, NMN has shown to reverse age-related arterial dysfunction by decreasing oxidative stress.[5][6] A long-term study indicates that NMN can slow down the physiologic decline in ageing mice.[7] As a result, the older mice in the study have metabolism and energy levels resembling those of younger mice, with extended life spans. However, NMN did not show similar beneficial effects in young mice.[8]

The anti-aging properties is being tested on humans in Japan.
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide_mononucleotide]

So the secret is simply Niacin [Vit B3] !!! minusculebeercheers

Now to rant a bit about Big Pharma ... minusculesoapbox

From the article linked in the OP ...

Quote:For the past four years, Professor Sinclair and Dr Wu have been working on making NMN into a drug substance with their companies MetroBiotech NSW and MetroBiotech International. 

tinytongue Screw you guys for upsetting my Rogue friends and being secretive scumbags and trying to patent a natural product! minusculemooning  minusculeredtantrum

That is all!
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
@"OmegaLogos"  Good Job,, minusculethumbsup2 ,, I never thought to Google it.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Explanation: All good! minusculebeercheers Rogues always come to a rogues rescue! 

Personal Disclosure: I forgot to link the top ten natural food sources of Niacin ...

Top 10 vitamin B3 niacin foods.
[/url]

Quote:The RDA for niacin is 16 mg/day for men and 14 mg/day for women. The daily value is 20 mg.
If you think you may have a niacin deficiency make sure to eat these high niacin foods daily.
Top 10 Niacin Rich Foods 

1) Turkey
1 breast: 101 mg (over 100% DV

2) Chicken breast
3 oz: 8.9 mg (44% DV)

3) Peanuts
1 cup: 21.9 mg (over 100% DV)

4) Mushrooms
1 cup: 7.6 mg (34% DV)

5) Liver
1 slice: 11.9 mg (60% DV)

6) Tuna
3 oz: 11.3 mg (56% DV)

7) Green peas
1 cup: 3 mg (15% DV)

8) Grass-fed Beef
3oz: 7.6 mg (36% DV)

9) Sunflower seeds
1 cup: 3.8 mg (19% DV)

10) Avocado
1 whole fruit: 3.5 (17% DV)

Extra links ...

18 niacin foods

top 40 foods high in niacin vitamin B3

49 foods high in niacin.

And here is a recipe with 3 of the top ten Niacin [Vit B3] ingredients [turkey,avocado,peanuts]  combined to make ...
[url= Turkey Avocado Spring Rolls w/ Hoisihttp://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/turkey-spring-rolls-peanut-di/#]

Quote:Turkey Avocado Spring Rolls with Hoisin Nut Dip
Yield: Serves 2-3
This is my standby spring roll that I eat year round, not just after Thanksgiving. I'll buy some nice deli carved turkey breast and make these rolls when the craving calls. For the dip, you can certainly be flexible and use peanut butter, almond butter or even cashew butter. The variety of nut flavors makes the dips really exciting when you want a change.
Here's the latest photo tutorial on on how to roll spring rolls.
Ingredients:
For the turkey spring rolls
  • Fresh carved Turkey meat, torn in small this strips
  • 1 large ripe avocado, cut into small slices
  • 1 large carrot, thin julienne cuts ( like match sticks)
  • Strips of cucumber, red bell pepper, jicama (optional)
  • fresh basil, mint or other herbs
  • fresh lettuce, chopped or torn in small pieces
  • rice paper for rolling
For Hoisin Peanut dip:
  • 1/4 cup hoisin (each brand has a different thickness consistency. So add water if needed to make the dip texture to taste)
  • 2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter.
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions:
  1. For the hoisin peanut dip: In medium bowl, combine all dip ingredients together. Use a fork to help blend well.
  2. For the rolls, gather all the ingredients together and get your rolling surface ready.
Read more at http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/tur...eanut-di/#

mediumcouchpotato
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
So it's internal sun-tan lotion?!!!

It seems to me that after many experiments by brainy people in white coats,
a new way of announcing a cosmetic drug that holds the working ingredient
that's found in everyday foods has been discovered.

Will it inhibit organs from ageing...? Is this just a skin-benefiting product?

I'm just being an old grouch here, but in all seriousness, well done on the
research Omega.
minusculethumbsup
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Thanks Omega.   minusculegoodjob
Here is an update article on the anti-aging research:  CALICO: Google's super secretive anti-aging research. Why the cover-up?

What is Calico doing and why are they insistent on keeping it so secret?
(05-01-2017, 09:00 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: ...What is Calico doing and why are they insistent on keeping it so secret?

Well, since not many really know what causes age and why it happens, I would initially suggest
Calico is starting from scratch. This may explain their hesitance in announcing how far along the
road they are at finding 'the fountain of youth'

'...There are reasons to think aging can be slowed in fundamental ways.
Among Calico’s first hires was Cynthia Kenyon, now its vice president of aging research,
who 20 years ago showed that altering a single DNA letter in a laboratory roundworm
made it live six weeks instead of three.

There is something hair-raising about Kenyon’s videos of old, should-be-dead worms
wriggling vigorously across a petri dish...'
SOURCE:

However, since many wealthy people have also donated to the company, I'd be more inclined
to think that if they do discover a way of slowing age down, it'll be for the uber-folk and not
you and I.

You got to think on the level of effects on business markets, multi-million dollar manufacturing
companies that sell their crap to those who wish to look young and whether making mankind
almost immortal is a good idea.

Maybe it's better just to keep it behind the curtain and only sell it to those who deserve it...
The elite.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. -Orwell.
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
Looks like they are closer to human trials and seeking FDA approval. Share

Updated: 6:04 PM EDT Mar 26, 2018

Quote:BOSTON —
There has been an exciting breakthrough in the science of aging. In a new study, Boston researchers say they have reversed aging in mice and that discovery could set the stage for similar results in humans.

Dr. David Sinclair has spent his entire career focused on aging and now believes he's discovered a way to stay younger for longer.
Advertisement

"We're absolutely talking about increasing the quality of life - preventing cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's," Sinclair said.

It starts with a molecule called NAD which humans need to live. As we age, the level of NAD in our cells drops, leading to DNA damage and the diseases of aging.

In a new study in the journal CELL, Sinclair and his team at Harvard Medical School's Center for the Biology of Aging boosted NAD levels in the blood vessels of old mice.

"Now those blood vessels are young again. We get more blood vessels, more blood flow and the old mice, even the young mice, can run up to 50 percent, sometimes two times as far on a treadmill without getting tired," Sinclair said.

Sinclair says human trials of the NAD booster are underway in Boston and ultimately, he hopes for Food and Drug Administration approval of a pill everyone could take.

"Just a single pill that they take every morning and it rejuvenates their internal organs and their systems so that you don't just feel young, but you actually are young," Sinclair said.

A related option is available now. A dietary supplement, not regulated by the FDA, called Basis. It was developed by Elysium Health, a company co-founded by Dr. Leonard Guarente, director of the Glenn Center for Biology of Aging Research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

"We're talking about being able to stay healthy longer, so being able to do what you like to do," Guarente said.
Basis costs $60 for a one-month supply. Guarente says it contains two natural compounds known to boost NAD levels and in a human trial last year, it worked.

"Over the two months of the trial, NAD levels went up in people who were taking BASIS. They went up higher in the people taking the double dose of BASIS and they stayed elevated for the duration," Guarente said.

Guarente said the company is now eager to work with the FDA to develop human trials for specific diseases.

"If you can make cells healthier and have a treatment, a simple treatment that can make cells healthier, you're going to affect not just those cells, but the entire organ and therefore, the disease," Guarente said.

Though animal research findings may not be the same in humans, the doctors said the results so far are promising, meaning human NAD treatments could be on the horizon.