Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Values- Old School Versus Everyone gets a trophy
NFL Dad Sends Powerful Message by Confiscating Kids’ ‘Trophies for Nothing’

Quote:Controversy around the idea of kids receiving trophies simply for participating in athletics or other activities has been roiling among parents for a while. Last year, a poll conducted by Reason magazine found opinions on participation trophies were split — with a majority of Americans, 57 percent, saying only the winners should get trophies. When results were broken down by age, however, it became clear that younger Americans (those between 18 and 24) believed all kids should be rewarded, inspiring a Washington Post article to dub that age group the “participation-trophy generation.”

Well.. It is a discussion everyone needs to have 

A value laden conversation avoiding the pitfalls of gotcha questions

In fact, this conversation is at the centerpiece of the story I am writing..

In several example already written

-Abigail let her dog get out and get badly injured

Andros made her put the dog down.. Then made her dig the whole all by herself and cover the dog back up

-Regina's policy on her kids love life

They boys will stay out of meddling in your love life and little hellion you stay out of theirs

*** please note this include the issue of Andros's Relationship with Regina and how her son responds to it

-Use of corporal discipline in the future Navy

Time no longer wasted with minor NJPs an PC bs.. watched and monitored by intelligence to prevent bloody bullies

-andros leaving sailors in the water 

Delivery and protection of two living dead to prevent the spread of the infection

-Andros's relationship with Austin

A mess- life is not fair and even after miracles, you have deal with your issues

Their are hundreds of others examples in fiction and real life..

So what do you think?

I leave this with a tale of two individuals with criminal records.. Take a wild guess which one is not in jail right now

a) having issues with the law still
Blamed aunt for situation that got him in there
then blamed girlfriend for leaving him and screwing him over
Opinion is he is getting screwed by the system, and is not at fault

b)brother is in jail, and still having issues with the law
trying to be a rap star
working way up in several  fast food
Opinion, he is responsible for everything that has and will happen to him.. No excuses

Both have just about the same habits
guess which ones moral center and values have kept him freed

Keep in mind I told both about the other
In my opinion, it only hurts a kid when they receive a "trophy" for NOTHING

It is a part of life (growing pains) to experience failure, which is supposed to make one try that much harder next time.

But if they get awards regardless, it has no value.
There is no pride in getting a trophy for simply "being there"

Life as a whole is full of let downs/failures
So this type of mentality is only giving the kid the ILLUSION that all is hunky dory and perfect

What is the purpose of this anyway?
So their feelings don't get hurt?????

Hey guess what, that is part of developing one's character as they get older
How kids handle day to day events

We need to stop cuddling them and treating them like they are made out of China
That will NOT prepare them for REAL LIFE!!
Only hinder them when they EXPECT everything to be just so

Dunno, I personally do not get this way of thinking, wanting to give everyone a trophy even when they DO NOT deserve it
Time for parents to act like parents and stop pampering their kids
That only hurts them in the long run, unless the parents intend on them living with them when they are into their 40's

BTW, in case you couldn't tell, I am 100% old school and do not approve of giving everyone a trophy "just because"

“Everything in life should be earned”

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Victor Davis Hanson: The Hypocrisy Behind The Student Renaming Craze

Quote:iversity students across the country — at Amherst, Georgetown, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UC Berkeley and dozens of other campuses — are caught up in yet another new fad.

This time, the latest college craze is a frenzied attempt to rename campus buildings and streets. Apparently some of those names from the past do not fit students’ present litmus tests on race, class and gender correctness.

Stanford students are demanding the rebranding of buildings, malls and streets bearing the name of Junipero Serra, the 18th-century Franciscan priest who some 250 years ago founded California’s famous chain of 21 coastal missions. The sainted Serra was often unkind to Native Americans and by our standards racist in his worldview.

Harvard is ditching its law school’s seal because it is based on the coat of the arms of the Isaac Royall family. Isaac Royall Jr. donated his estate to create Harvard’s first law professorship, but he and his family owned slaves, so apparently that cancels out his philanthropy.

For students, politically incorrect actions in politically incorrect eras mean that otherwise generous historical figures have to be judged as bad in all aspects — at least by 21st century standards. But why the sudden nationwide renaming frenzy — and how is it any different from other campus fads?

Are students aware of the historical antecedents, like the fickle ancient Roman practice of the postmortem erasing of someone’s name from all mention (damnatio memoriae)? Have they any idea that they are playing roles right out of George Orwell’s dystopian works “Animal Farm” and “1984”? Do they know the history of the verb “Trotskyize”?

The renaming craze is not really about race, class and gender correctness at all. If it were, there would be no Warren Hall at UC Berkeley. Before liberal Earl Warren became chief justice of the Supreme Court, he was the California attorney general who instigated the wartime internment of tens of thousands of Japanese-American citizens.

There also would be no Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University. President Wilson was a man of dubious racial attitudes who infamously re-segregated the federal workforce.

Instead, the “Animal Farm” rules of the current campus bullies go something like this: Some incorrect people from centuries ago are bad, but other politically incorrect people from the recent past are not quite so bad if they were at least sometimes liberal.

Or are students even hypocritical with their made-up litmus tests?

Few students are demanding, for instance, that San Diego State University drop the school nickname “Aztecs.” The imperialistic Aztecs sacrificed tens of thousands of victims from among the tribes they conquered — often ripping out the hearts of their living victims — and enslaved even more.

Should UC Berkeley students demand the renaming of their Cesar E. Chavez Student Center, on the contemporary campus principle that not being a saint in the past means becoming a sinner in the present?

Chavez, the iconic farm-labor activist, sent his lieutenants down to the southern border to use violence to prevent Mexican immigrants from entering the U.S. He courted Ferdinand Marcos, the cutthroat dictator of the Philippines, to support his union. And Chavez tried to implement the Gestapo-like management principles of the discredited cult Synanon among his United Farm Workers hierarchy.

Is the logic of the campus bullies that some heroes did not mean to do bad things, and so they cannot be judged by the standards of the moment — at least not if they were liberal and deemed politically correct?

Students fail to realize that revolutionary tastes change quickly, and yesterday’s PC hero can become today’s pariah.

Based on students’ own expanding definition of sexual assault and the curtailment of freedom of speech, former president and notorious womanizer Bill Clinton would not be allowed to set foot on any campus because of his past exploitation of women. Nor would his enabler, Hillary Clinton, who in the past has sought to demonize her husband’s female accusers.

There are other hypocrisies in the campus renaming fad.

Why would Stanford students just stop with airbrushing away Father Serra’s name? The university’s co-founder, philanthropist Leland Stanford, who was also governor of California, exploited Chinese laborers to help build the transcontinental railroad. He even dubbed them a “degraded” people.

Today’s students, however, have invested tens of thousands of dollars into their blue-chip Stanford-branded educations. So far, they have shown no desire to lose that snob appeal and expensive cachet — or perhaps have their degrees re-stamped from Stanford to something more politically correct but less marketable, such as Ohlone College, which would honor the original pre-colonial peoples of the surrounding Silicon Valley region.

In the 1930s, half-educated student faddists swallowed goldfish. In the 1950s, the silly campus craze was to cram into phone booths. In the 1960s, students went feral and torched buildings.

Now, they pout and rename things.

Hanson is a classicist and historian at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.

This is a good place to get the first part the meat of out around the world slaughtered sheep, cow, pig, and gator burger

So we have the Generation appearing at the colleges
I participated

Here is the problem and it is why they have an issue of not getting jobs and millions in debt

Why do you go to college?

One word answer

Training 

So these students are not being shown training.. 

"We are offended by your insensitivities.."

Sexiest comment, "The girl did look cute.. Why I advise a friend go to college, but wear a condom.."

The truth is you who are not getting those jobs have forgot a few things
Why you went to college and spent the money

You appear as a generation to have spent more time socializing and less time mastering your chosen craft
Remember the only truth in town, everything that happens to you in the end is your fault
It stops you from being a victim, and give you power

So the next line of, Well they lied about the job prospects
(well my recruiter said...... lol)

buyer beware.. You are big boys and girls now, welcome to the real world

The value of the education is not based on name brand alone
to you kardashin slash prada wearing mofos who eat ramen noodles at night but live in 3000 a month lofts

it based on what you learn and the quality of that education
Now you do have some sympathy from me
your parents are either F#$%ing idiots or they are laughing with me at you either way

Your only hope is to accept you got yourself into that boat, now get yourself the F#$% out of it

Old school idea
I am responsible

Everyone gets a trophy
They did it to me

Guess which one of us has no more college debt
and doesnt pay rent
There are those that will never get trophies, for no fault of their own (born that way); and those that will always get trophies...because they were born that way.
Trophies excite the ego. Maybe that's good...maybe not. Maybe someone defied the odds and worked their tail off to beat their opponents/foes/classmates... The victory, itself, should be enough.
Trophies that say "I was there" are like t-shirts... They become more ragged & useless every time they are worn.
Why do we need trophies, anyway?

BTW - I liked the trophies I got, but honestly don't know where any of them are, today.
37-year-old who says she can't get a lawyer job after applying to 150 firms loses her lawsuit against her school 

Quote:A jury has ruled against a 37-year-old graduate of the Thomas Jefferson School of Law who claimed that the school defrauded her when she attended nearly a decade ago, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
A San Diego, California, jury ruled 9-3 in favor of the school, handing a victory to TJSL — since civil cases in that state don't require a unanimous jury vote.

During the trial, a lawyer for the TJSL graduate, Anna Alaburda, argued that the school promoted a misleading employment rate for its graduates. That lawyer claimed TJSL neglected to disclose that many graduates it touted as "employed" were actually working in hair salons or bookstores, or even selling tractors, as the Union-Tribune reported.

The school defended itself by arguing that Alaburda had at one point turned down work and by contending that many of its graduates have successful careers in law.

and a little later

Quote:But despite her academic successes, she said, Alaburda has been unable to find full-time employment as a lawyer.

She has sent her résumé to more than 150 law firms and received only one job offer, which "was less favorable than non-law related jobs that were available to her," the suit says.

In addition, Alaburda said, she graduated with $150,000 in student-loan debt — a figure that has since ballooned to $170,000 when accounting for interest.

Now to the trophy gen
Do we see the error here?

Here is the major issue
She expects to recieve a job equal to what she spent
it is the equivalent of letting the car salesman tell you that the lotus is affordable.. Besides you will be able to impress people and it will pay for itself

See the problem
Issues here
-no networking listed

You know prehustle and internships

-no cases

I see no attempt to gather up some cases
make a name for herself in the bush leagues

So lets get to the most of old fashion value measure stick I can think of

Lets say you match a person of interest in a terror attack
The cops are breathing down your neck

Would you hire this woman to represent you?

Why was that the answer?
After all she has a degree in the field

So old schools vote is no

Trophy Gen's vote??
She does not want to work her way to the top by accepting anything less than what she is expecting to get as a job.
She wants it given to her on a silver platter, instead of earning/working her way towards a good job

False high expectations, not realistic ones sadly
Even if the school exaggerated the results, she should have never took it for granted, her mistake IMO

In the real world, no one lands the "perfect" job right out of college..... unless you come from an influential family with ties

One thing I have learned over the years, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Quote:Armonica_Templar wrote:

...old schools vote is no

Trophy Gen's vote??

I agree with the general notion that the degree guarantees nothing.

I don't know that I can go so far as to make the judgment that is asked for, without a lot more information.
Did the school oversell?
I have known schools that oversold.  True, the prospective student has to be gullible to some extent, and thus responsible for the end-result, but I find fault on both sides of that equation.

As you say (old school) - If she would get to work on improving her weaknesses (in her chosen field of law), she might find herself gainfully employed as a short-term result.
I work for an attorney who is not practicing as an attorney, because the field was overrun at the time that he graduated (short story).  He uses his legal expertise in another way than 'practicing law'.