Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Killer Fog and the Anticyclone
London, 1952.

An anticyclone settled over the region, an invisible killer in waiting was already laying in wait for the unsuspecting people of London. Normally, this weather phenomenon would bring only what would be considered an "unusual cold streak". Being December, how "unusual" this may have seemed is up for debate. Historical Data shows that London was indeed much cooler in the days leading up to the Killer Event, but not being from London I don't know if anybody would've noticed?

[Image: 2lc18j9.png]

[Image: e18dva.jpg] 

But as the temperatures dipped, the people did what they could to keep warm: Put more coal on the fires. Unfortunately, the very act of burning coal as the temperature dropped to keep warm ended up killing more people than a chilly week in December ever would have. Of course, it wasn't just the everyday citizen burning coal that caused the disaster, it was a mixture of private and industrial pollutants that combined to terrorize the city.

Quote:Among the pollutants emitted on each day of the smog were: 2,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide, 140 tonnes of hydrochloric acid, 14 tonnes of fluorine compounds. Worst of all, 370 tonnes of sulphur dioxide were converted into 800 tonnes of sulphuric acid within the smog.

Killer Smog

So as the fires were burning to fuel industry and comfort, the anti-cyclone and its deadly grip began to choke the city and her inhabitants little by little. It had to seem almost "fun" at first, the same way I feel in the morning when heavy fog covers the city. Other than the driving part I absolutely love it (and the little ones do as well). The city didn't come to a stop, but it did slow to a crawl.

[Image: 28muxs.jpg]

[Image: nl53ck.jpg]

[Image: 34o96bm.jpg]

1952 London Photos

But as the inconvenience of guiding double decker busses by candle flare passed, the city was literally chocking on its own breath. Little by little it started to become clear that this wasn't a regular fog / smog event. This was catastrophe in the making. So on December 9th, 1952 the smog cleared, but people soon realized the damage was already done. The ticking time bomb in the lungs of the people and animals slowly ticked down to zero.

The Aftermath

Quote:A change in weather meant that the smog finally dispersed on Tuesday, December 9. A government report which followed stated that at least 4,000 people had died as a consequence of respiratory problems it caused, with another 100,000 people affected; more modern research put the death toll at closer to 12,000.

More Aftermath

[Image: oqvhv5.jpg]

When the smoke cleared and casualties were counted, London turned to legislation to try and prevent such a tragedy from ever happening again. It was a slow process, you don't change every lightbulb in a city or country overnight.

Quote:A series of laws were brought in to avoid a repeat of the situation. This included the Clean Air Acts of 1956 and 1968. These acts banned emissions of black smoke and decreed residents of urban areas and operators of factories must convert to smokeless fuels.

People were given time to adapt to the new rules, however, and fogs continued to be smoky for some time after the Act of 1956 was passed. In 1962, for example, 750 Londoners died as a result of a fog, but nothing on the scale of the 1952 Great Smog has ever occurred again. This kind of smog has now become a thing of the past, thanks partly to pollution legislation and also to modern developments, such as the widespread use of central heating.

So the moral here (for me at least) is legislation isn't always a bad thing. But it's also clear that legislation didn't solve the problem. The new laws enacted played a smaller role next to the innovation of private and industrial heating which lowered emissions around the world. I think we can all learn a little bit from this. The laws may have sped up the process of innovation but tragedy combined with human ingenuity played a bigger role.

:notlooking:
WOW...had never heard of this. Perhaps living in Montreal with very little smog has something to do with it. Great topic !

I know that smog is a major problem in China, India or even Mexico City but never stopped a second to realize the death toll it carries..

China for example:

Quote:Bad air contributes to 1.6 million deaths a year or roughly 17 percent of all deaths in China, according to a scientific paper recently published by independent research group Berkeley Earth. "For 38 percent of the population, the average air they breathe is 'unhealthy' by US standards," said the authors of the paper, Richard Muller and Robert Rohde. Moreover, some 92 percent of China's population experienced at least 120 hours of unhealthy air between April 5, 2014 and August 5, 2015, said the scientists.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-smog-is-killing...a-18653814

India:

Quote:results suggested that about 570,000 premature deaths in India were caused by exposure to fine particulate matter in 2011, and an additional 12,000 were caused by exposure to ozone. The most severely affected part of the country was the Indo-Gangetic region, which includes the northern strip of the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ener...every-year

Nasty !   :stumped:
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
(06-04-2016, 03:50 PM)solarius Wrote: WOW...had never heard of this. Perhaps living in Montreal with very little smog has something to do with it. Great topic !

I know that smog is a major problem in China, India or even Mexico City but never stopped a second to realize the death toll it carries..

China for example:

Quote:Bad air contributes to 1.6 million deaths a year or roughly 17 percent of all deaths in China, according to a scientific paper recently published by independent research group Berkeley Earth. "For 38 percent of the population, the average air they breathe is 'unhealthy' by US standards," said the authors of the paper, Richard Muller and Robert Rohde. Moreover, some 92 percent of China's population experienced at least 120 hours of unhealthy air between April 5, 2014 and August 5, 2015, said the scientists.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-smog-is-killing...a-18653814

India:

Quote:results suggested that about 570,000 premature deaths in India were caused by exposure to fine particulate matter in 2011, and an additional 12,000 were caused by exposure to ozone. The most severely affected part of the country was the Indo-Gangetic region, which includes the northern strip of the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ener...every-year

Nasty !   :stumped:

WOW is right! a half million every year just in India?! That's incredible. I didn't even think about the death toll worldwide before today. I see on the news every now and then stories out of China (like banning cars for certain days - especially before international visitors flock to the country). I remember reading about this: Beijing Car Ban  

But yeah, crazy crazy world sometimes. I heard about the London story on "Mysteries at the Museum" when I woke up this morning. I'm surprised I had never heard of it before.
Yes, that is really freaky!

Something else that's freaky is that I posted a thread about the weather right after you. I had not seen your post yet, either.
You all know that's not my usual topic for discussion.

So, what's going on here? 

Are "they" using mind control on a mass level to cause us to manifest such a terrible weather event again?!   :itwasntme: 

Or, do I need a break from the conspiracy boards?

(Runs out of room like an insane lunatic flinging arms and screaming words unrecognizable) :goingcrazy:
(06-04-2016, 06:31 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Yes, that is really freaky!

Something else that's freaky is that I posted a thread about the weather right after you. I had not seen your post yet, either.
You all know that's not my usual topic for discussion.

So, what's going on here? 

Are "they" using mind control on a mass level to cause us to manifest such a terrible weather event again?!   :itwasntme: 

Or, do I need a break from the conspiracy boards?

(Runs out of room like an insane lunatic flinging arms and screaming words unrecognizable) :goingcrazy:

NO! You aren't crazy at all. There's a person that I met on another site (seems sooooo long ago) that convinced me our dreams are more than they appear. Everything in this brain of mine (I think at least) is just as easy to hack as my email. With that said:

Look into my eyes :cool:

[Image: 2ijrg94.jpg]