Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out on Dangers of GMO foods
There have been many conflicting reports regarding genetically modified foods
Mostly here in the U.S.

In other countries, where they have done extensive research on GMO and their side effects, their conclusions differ with those scientists from the U.S. and it is NOT good

But now, there is one former scientist speaking out about the real dangers that are NOT being talked about in regards to GMO

Quote:I retired 12 years ago after a long career as a research scientist for Agriculture Canada. When I was on the payroll, I was the designated scientist of my institute to address public groups and reassure them that genetically engineered crops and foods were safe. I don’t know if I was passionate about it but I was knowledgeable. I defended the side of technological advance, of science and progress.

There is, however, a growing body of scientific research – done mostly in Europe, Russia, and other countries – showing that diets containing engineered corn or soya cause serious health problems in laboratory mice and rats. I have in the last 12 years changed my position. I started paying attention to the flow of published studies coming from Europe, some from prestigious labs and published in prestigious scientific journals, that questioned the impact and safety of engineered food.

Hopefully over time, more scientists will speak out about Monsanto and the truth to GMO

This bit of information from the article I found to be interesting:

The whole paradigm of the genetic engineering technology is based on a misunderstanding

* The scientific literature is full of studies showing that engineered corn and soya contain toxic or allergenic proteins. The Bt corn and soya plants that are now everywhere in our environment are registered as insecticides.But are these insecticidal plants regulated and have their proteins been tested for safety? Not by the federal departments in charge of food safety, not in Canada and not in the U.S

* There are a number of scientific studies that have been done for Monsanto by universities in the U.S., Canada, and abroad. Most of these studies are concerned with the field performance of the engineered crops, and of course they find GMOs safe for the environment and therefore safe to eat

*Genetic pollution is so prevalent in North and South America where GM crops are grown that the fields of conventional and organic grower are regularly contaminated with engineered pollen and losing certification

* The transgenes are also transferred to soil bacteria. A Chinese study published last year shows that an ampicillin resistance transgene was transferred from local engineered crops to soil bacteria, that eventually found their way into the rivers. The transgenes are also transferred to humans. Volunteers who ate engineered soybeans had undigested DNA in their intestine and their bacterial flora was expressing the soybean transgenes in the form of antibiotic resistance. This is genetic pollution to the extreme, particularly when antibiotic resistance is fast becoming a serious global health risk

* In 2009 the American Academy of Environmental Medicine called for a moratorium of GM foods, safety testing and labeling. Their review of the available literature at the time noted that animals show serious health risks associated with GM food consumption including infertility, immune dysregulation, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated with cholesterol synthesis, insulin regulation, cell signaling, and protein formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system.
 In response, Monsanto writes “There is no need to test the safety of GM foods. So long as the engineered protein is safe, foods from GM crops are substantially equivalent and they cannot pose any health risks.”

* The US Food and Drug Administration waived all levels of safety testing in 1996 before approving the commercialization of these crops. Nothing more than voluntary research is necessary, and the FDA does not even want to see the results. And there is certainly no need to publish any of it.

Quote:One argument I hear repeatedly in support of GMOs is that nobody has been sick or died after a meal (or 20,000 meals since 1996) of GM food. Nobody gets ill from smoking a pack of cigarette either. But it sure adds up, and we did not know that in the 1950s before we started our wave of epidemics of cancer. Except this time it is not about a bit of smoke, it’s our whole food system that is of concern.

So true....maybe 50 years from now the FDA will put a stop to this
But by then, the effects will not be able to be undone and will effect more people than cigarettes ever did

It's a sad day when scientists can be bought off in form of grants, in exchange for their one-sided report in favor of Monsanto

And to hell with public health issues that will be a problem in the near future
Yep .... higher rates of diabetes ... cancer .... coronary disease ..... obesity ..... in groups that eat gmo food as opposed to groups that eat non-gmo and non- chem filled food ...... 

Wonder what got him to come forward and admit that shit not good for people to eat ..... though good to see he start speak out about it ...... 

Monsanto not happy that other countries dont want their poison ...... farmers in other countries have burned gmo crops rather than grow them .....
Over the past couple of years, anytime I want to find an article posting the "truth" (in most cases) about our food, health resources, etc., I look for reports/articles done in a country other than the good old USA! 

The garbage our government, or any head of a department/company, publishes to the public is based on lies to line their pockets; that's all they are concerned about, it seems!
:angry:
 Huh, my husband loves French Style green beans

And well, being as he no longer requests big meals anymore, it had been a while since I bought any

Until now....and boy was I surprised at what I saw on Del Monte's label

[Image: Hmv0X4U.png]

Very impressed!
Guess Del Monte is taking consumers demands seriously when it comes to GMO
(no, I did not look at their other products)

Now then, today they were talking about having meat labels tell consumers where the meat comes from (what country)
So why can't they do the same for food companies, make them label products that are GMO's?
(or in this case, non-GMO)
Thing is, they can if they want to!!
Probably the Lobbyist getting their way....as usual