Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Trump pledges to forgo his presidential salary during his time in the White House
[Image: d5125c82e48e45d491320ff66999934c.png]

Wow, how cool is that?!
Only taking a $1 salary.

He stated as much during his interview with Lesley Stahl on "60 Minutes".

Quote:President-elect Donald Trump says he will only accept $1 for his salary as president.

Trump made the comments during a sit-down interview with CBS “60 Minutes,” which aired in full Sunday evening. During the interview, the president-elect even admitted that he doesn’t even know what the president’s salary is.

“I’ve never commented on this, but the answer is ‘no,'” Trump said when asked by host Lesley Stahl whether or not he’ll accept the presidential salary.

“I think I have to by law take $1, so I’ll take $1 a year,” he added. “But it’s a — I don’t even know what it is. Do you know what the salary is?”

Stahl informed Trump that the current presidential salary is set at an annual rate of $400,000.

“No, I’m not going to take the salary. I’m not taking it,” Trump reiterated.

Source

Huh, well that is different indeed.

If Trump were to forgo the presidential salary, he would be only the third president in history to do so. Presidents Herbert Hoover and John F. Kennedy declined to accept their presidential salaries, instead donating it to charity.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Well, being that he is a billionaire, I think it would have sent the wrong message to the citizens if he did accept it to put in his own pocket.  But he could have accepted it and put it toward some good cause.

As for donating it to charities, we know that the most well-known charities only donate a fraction of the money to "the cause", while the CEO keeps the largest percentage to "run things" connected to the charity.  (Like the annual parties, trips around the country, plane fares, expensive meals and  meetings in only the nicest locations, etc.)   tinyok 

So, instead of any money being donated to a charity, he should take it and see to it personally that it goes to help the Veterans, or develop housing for the homeless (a tiny housing community ?), or many other things... but let his people be in charge of seeing that it gets done with the salary that he is "gifting" toward the cause. 

That's just my opinion.   tinysure

ETA: add attachment

And on the flip side - he has handed his business concerns over to his kids.
Quote:So, if Trump gets into the White House, the president of the United States will be in a business deal with an Azerbaijani billionaire whose father is a prominent government official identified by American intelligence as a money launderer for the Iranian military. The Trump Organization’s partners in India would place America’s crucial but shaky alliance with Pakistan at risk. Relations between Trump and Turkey’s government are deteriorating in part because of his business connections there, and that country’s president has told people close to him that he will not allow a Trump-led America to use a military base that has been a critical staging area for the bombing campaign in Syria against the Islamic State group, known as ISIS. In other words, all these entanglements would imperil the national security of the United States.

Quote:And while his lawyer Thursday used the term “blind trust” when discussing the family’s upcoming financial arrangement, putting Trump’s children in charge of a set of assets that their father is aware of does not constitute a blind trust. Under the legal definition of a blind trust, a public official places his finances under the management of an independent party. (underline emphasis mine)

Does anyone not see a problem with this, oh wait - he's only taking a dollar a year for doing this job, so that's all good then.  minusculechairshot

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/30/donal...00398.html
Hopefully he'll give it back to the treasury like Ron Paul. 

If not, hopefully he'll actually give it to charity (and no just say it, but actually do it). 

Tax returns would really be helpful to see his true intentions  tinycool
(11-15-2016, 01:04 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote: And on the flip side - he has handed his business concerns over to his kids.
Quote:So, if Trump gets into the White House, the president of the United States will be in a business deal with an Azerbaijani billionaire whose father is a prominent government official identified by American intelligence as a money launderer for the Iranian military. The Trump Organization’s partners in India would place America’s crucial but shaky alliance with Pakistan at risk. Relations between Trump and Turkey’s government are deteriorating in part because of his business connections there, and that country’s president has told people close to him that he will not allow a Trump-led America to use a military base that has been a critical staging area for the bombing campaign in Syria against the Islamic State group, known as ISIS. In other words, all these entanglements would imperil the national security of the United States.

Quote:And while his lawyer Thursday used the term “blind trust” when discussing the family’s upcoming financial arrangement, putting Trump’s children in charge of a set of assets that their father is aware of does not constitute a blind trust. Under the legal definition of a blind trust, a public official places his finances under the management of an independent party. (underline emphasis mine)

Does anyone not see a problem with this, oh wait - he's only taking a dollar a year for doing this job, so that's all good then.  minusculechairshot

Nope, not seeing a problem with it.

The Turkey thing is no problem at all - they can't be trusted anyhow. I dunno whose bone-headed idea it was to allow them into NATO in the first place, but clearly if they want to deny American access to the base there, then NATO is not the place for them... over and above the fact that they are a long way from the North Atlantic. It would be a lot more convenient and pragmatic to form an alliance with Syria and use bases there instead. If that were to happen, they might be able to see which way the Syrians are pointing more clearly so they can stop bombing the shit out of the wrong people.

The trust isn't a problem, either. Trump ain't running it, his kids are, and they aren't in office. If we don't see any signs of selling favor (not a claim Clinton could have made ever), then there isn't any problem at all. If there ever ARE any signs of it, I'm sure there are quite enough watchdogs just waiting for a faux pas to trumpet about, it would be common knowledge, and there are mechanisms in place to deal with that roughly.

So where is the problem?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(11-17-2016, 09:10 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 01:04 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote: And on the flip side - he has handed his business concerns over to his kids.

The trust isn't a problem, either. Trump ain't running it, his kids are, and they aren't in office. If we don't see any signs of selling favor (not a claim Clinton could have made ever), then there isn't any problem at all. If there ever ARE any signs of it, I'm sure there are quite enough watchdogs just waiting for a faux pas to trumpet about, it would be common knowledge, and there are mechanisms in place to deal with that roughly.

So where is the problem?

Uhm, this part ...

does not constitute a blind trust.

Surely you must see that there must be a conflict of interests here, if not, well then there is nothing I can say to you.

He is ignoring the rules and doing what he wants, obviously what some people feel is needed in the States. And a blind trust seems to be what some people in placing in him, imho.
Quote:.........If there ever ARE any signs of it, I'm sure there are quite enough watchdogs just waiting for a faux pas to trumpet about, it would be common knowledge, and there are mechanisms in place to deal with that roughly.

Are you kidding me?
The MSM is on him like a fly on horseshit.

If Trump farts sideways, it makes national headlines whether it is news worthy or not.

Having said that, can you believe David Axelrod of all people, actually defended the Trump transition, saying it is running about the same as Obamas.
But theirs was without all the criticism.

I really think Trump will think long and hard on some of the people he wants in his administration, plus have his lawyers go over anything that is questionable.

No matter who he picks, he will be attacked by the media and the so-called "experts".
After this fubar of election, my opinion of these "experts" has dropped to an all time low.

Plus you have Mike Pence as V.P. who is no rookie to how all this works.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Exactly - I doubt he can get away with so much as jaywalking with all the eyes on him just waiting to pounce on every little thing... which is what the left better get to work on, instead of all this rioting and looting and burning horseshit. Play time is over, and it's time to get to work on the serious stuff. However one may feel about the left, their function now is the same as the function of the right during Obama's administration - man the ramparts and watch for bad shit coming down the pike. It's the purpose they serve now, should they choose to do any serious work in the political life of the nation.

They, too, have a purpose, should they ever decide to shoulder the responsibility and forego all the emotional bullshit that has them wrapped in it's embrace at the moment. That's the real purpose of opposition - checks and balances, keeping us honest.

You may notice that I said "trust" rather than "blind trust" - i see no reason for a blind trust. It's only a weak man who cannot separate his religion from his politics, or his private business from his State business. I seriously doubt Trump is that Weak Man, if his success against all comers so far in this political run is any indication, whatever other faults he may have.

The left sure as hell isn't going to be blind, and Trump better not be, either.
Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

Okay, now this irritates me.

WTH is Ivanka doing sitting in on a private meeting with the P.M. of Japan and Trump???
Sorry, but this is no place for his daughter no matter how pretty and appealing she is.

[Image: 0bd5984944b54494a16f6417fcd79120.png]

Quote:A handout photo shows Trump meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Manhattan's Trump Tower... with his daughter, Ivanka Trump, listening in. CNN correspondent Ivan Watson deleted his tweet of the picture, but not before various reporters, political commentators, and other users pointed out the inappropriateness of Ivanka's presence.

Hmmmm, I myself don't like it based on principle, of it being a meeting among Men of 2 Nations.

Not sure what the point of her being there other than eye candy, unless they themselves wanted to meet her. Dunno.
Hope this is just a one time thing and won't be the norm for them.

Source

[Image: ab2103532fd0485c9ca7f7ac646701ba.png]

Now I will admit, that tweet is misleading in the way in which they state "Meetings" meaning plural, more than one.
As far as we know, this is the only time she did that.
And we have no clue as to why she was there, so all we can do is speculate.

Imagine the MSM will be running with this tomorrow, so maybe someone in the Trump campaign can address the issue.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

Actually Senona, My Dear Friend, his daughter Ivanka happens to be one of his Most Trusted Advisers and as My Husband understands it from an insider friend, Ivanka keep Our Donald on an Even Keel as my husband put it.
I hear she has an insight into gestures and body language.
She has advised her Dad during the Campaign and keep him from saying more things the MSM could slander him with.
She is also the person who advised her Dad not to totally dismantle Obamacare so that thousands of people won't be without healthcare.

I guess she's like a Handler for him.
Also, being Beautiful Doesn't Hurt, We understand his wife is more serious and doesn't like the double talk and Bull Shit and Ivanka is good at being patient and sorting out the true meaning of what's being discussed.

This is shaping up to be a Very Family Run Style White House.
I understand all his kids and their spouses are No Dummies and are Very Down To Earth. So fair they staff and Secret Service are Very, Very, Very Happy.

That's what we've been told.

Ivanka for President in 2020
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
Now, that's a bad sign.

The kids can either run his businesses, OR be political advisors. They can't do both. Regardless of whether they have the fortitude and honor to keep the two separate, it sets a bad precedent, and gives way too much ammunition to the opposition.

it's like air-dropping crates of LAWs to the enemy.

Word going around over here is that Ivanka will become next u.s ambassador to japan . 

She kinda cute ..... wonder if shed be interest in go out for drinks ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(11-18-2016, 03:12 PM)guohua Wrote: Actually Senona, My Dear Friend, his daughter Ivanka happens to be one of his Most Trusted Advisers and as My Husband understands it from an insider friend, Ivanka keep Our Donald on an Even Keel as my husband put it.
I hear she has an insight into gestures and body language.
She has advised her Dad during the Campaign and keep him from saying more things the MSM could slander him with.
She is also the person who advised her Dad not to totally dismantle Obamacare so that thousands of people won't be without healthcare.

I guess she's like a Handler for him.
Also, being Beautiful Doesn't Hurt, We understand his wife is more serious and doesn't like the double talk and Bull Shit and Ivanka is good at being patient and sorting out the true meaning of what's being discussed.

This is shaping up to be a Very Family Run Style White House.
I understand all his kids and their spouses are No Dummies and are Very Down To Earth. So fair they staff and Secret Service are Very, Very, Very Happy.

That's what we've been told.

Ivanka for President in 2020

Oh I understand all that.
We've heard how smart she was months ago, and how many times, she is the only one who can get thru Trump

But I do not see how she can be allowed to do both....run his business as well as sit in on Foreign diplomats meetings.
That is where "conflict of interest" could come into play I'm afraid.
Causing trouble for Trump Admin down the road.

And from what I've read, his kids were going to run the business for Trump, to keep it separate from the White House
and keep down any conflict.

The only one I heard that may have something to do with Trump Admin, would be the son-in-law who helped run things very efficiently during the campaign, from behind the scenes.

a.k.a. 'snarky412'