Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
History of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)
—"Medicine“( Chinese herbs) refers to and listed in the Chinese herbal medicine books for health, to treat disease and help with the prevention of illnesses.
"Chinese medicine" in the past was also known as “govern medicine".  
—Han dynasty, Traditional Chinese medicine from the end of the Eastern Han dynasty. Listed 365 Herbs.
—Ming dynasty, The doctors of Ming dynasty, increased to 1892Herbs.
—Qing dynasty, Lasted Qianlong 30 years, Medical Scientist ZhaoXue Min increased the number of usable Herbs to 2608.
—Currently the total amounts included 5767 herbs.

By the Second century A.D.  There was Listed 365 herbs that included: 
Ma Huang (Herba Ephedrae) to relive asthma, Dang Gui (Radicis Angelica Sinensis) to regulate menstruation (yes as early as the 2nd Century) and Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis) to treat diarrhea. 
From the Years of 618 to 907 A.D.  there was Listed 850 mediccal Herbs including: Zi He Che (Placenta Hominis) to improve the immune system.
—Now during the 7th Century, there was advances in Diet Therapy with Herbs. With the use of 277 herbs as therapeutic agents.

—

—
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(11-09-2016, 12:33 AM)guohua Wrote: —"Medicine“( Chinese herbs) refers to and listed in the Chinese herbal medicine books for health, to treat disease and help with the prevention of illnesses.
"Chinese medicine" in the past was also known as “govern medicine".  
—Han dynasty, Traditional Chinese medicine from the end of the Eastern Han dynasty. Listed 365 Herbs.
—Ming dynasty, The doctors of Ming dynasty, increased to 1892Herbs.
—Qing dynasty, Lasted Qianlong 30 years, Medical Scientist ZhaoXue Min increased the number of usable Herbs to 2608.
—Currently the total amounts included 5767 herbs.

By the Second century A.D.  There was Listed 365 herbs that included: 
Ma Huang (Herba Ephedrae) to relive asthma, Dang Gui (Radicis Angelica Sinensis) to regulate menstruation (yes as early as the 2nd Century) and Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis) to treat diarrhea. 
From the Years of 618 to 907 A.D.  there was Listed 850 mediccal Herbs including: Zi He Che (Placenta Hominis) to improve the immune system.
—Now during the 7th Century, there was advances in Diet Therapy with Herbs. With the use of 277 herbs as therapeutic agents.

I'm going to say herbal medicine is probably one of the greatest contributions to the world from the Chinese. Good post!
To Continue:
In 1578 A.D. Book, Ben Cao Gang Mu, Contains detailed descriptions and illustrations of 1,892 individual herbs and 11,000 formulas.

In 1986 through 2004 A —Book written on Chinese Herbal Medicine Contains over 470 entries of substances with each actions and major combination for therapeutic results.

Now in 2001 a —Book on Chinese Herbology and Pharmacology, Preserved valuable historical information and contemporary potential herb-drug interactions. Includes in-vitro information and pharmacological effects. 

Now a list of Famous Chinese Herbal Doctors.
Li Shi Zhen- 1518-1593 A.D.
—A famous medical scientist of the Ming dynasty. Li Shi Zhen had traveled to Wudang, and Lushan, and maoshan, and Anhui, and Henan, and Hebei, to collection herbs specimens and prescription, and visited fisherman, and Woodmen, and farmers, and chinese medicine workers. He produced a book with 925 species which helped him figure out many difficult problems. After 27 years of travel and study he came away with 1892Herbs.

Zhang Zhongjing 150-219 A.D.  During the Eastern Han dynasty, He was a famous medical scientist, was later known as the Yi Sheng.

His extensive resurch with other doctors helped him write the books. Establishing syndrome differentiation principle is a fundamental principle of TCM clinical, is the soul of the traditional Chinese medicine in the area of Pharmacology.
Also a huge contribution by documenting a large number of valid prescriptions. Established in accordance with the principle of treatment based on syndrome differentiation of six meridians, respected by scholars of medical scientists. This is China's first from theory to practice, establishing law of syndrome differentiation and treatment of medical monographs, is one of the most influential works in the history of medicine, is a must when you study Chinese medicine classics. His book called << Shang han Lun>> with 10 chapters and << Jin Gui Jiao Lue> with 3 chapters are a must read for anyone studing TMC.

Bian Que 407-310BC During the wars in China a famous medical scientist whose real name is Qin Yue, Ren, and  medical name is “bian Que”.  
Bian Que was very good at Palpation of the Pulse and the use of acupuncture, massage, ironing stick, stone, surgery and Herbal medicine and other methods to treat a variety of illnesses.

—
No, I'm not finished.
Why people get sick?
Pathology. 
—Climate ( Damp, cold, hot, dry…)
—Diet ( cold food, hot food, fat food, damp food…)=# 1
—Physical Injury ( long hours work, accident…)
—Family history ( genetic factors…)
—Emotional ( sadness, joy, anger, pensiveness, fear,…)also = # 1
—What do you need if you are sick?
—Herbal Formulas.

Therapeutic Function of Herbs.
These are functions that will affect, qi, blood, spirit, yin, yang, body fluids and pathogens. 
—Disperse              Astringe
—Purge                  Nourishing
—Tonify                  Sedate
—Warm                   Cool
—Moisten                 Dry
—Eliminate toxins     Move

Types of Formulations 
Decoction (tang) 
—Pills (wan)
—Powders (san)
—Special Pills (dan)
—Syrups or soft extracts (gao)
—Plasters (gao)
—Medicinal wines (jiu)( tinctures) (My favorite)

Properties of Herbs
Temperature
—Cool or Cold Herbs
—Warm or Hot Herbs
—Neutral

Cool or Cold Herbs
1. Clear Heat ( bo He, Pi Ba ye, Lian zi xin…) 
—2. Purge Fire ( shi gao, mang xiao, da huang…)
—3. Sedative ( suan zao ren, fu shen, muli…)
—4. Relieve Toxins ( ju hua, honey circle…)
—a. Poisons ( si su ye, mong bean,… )
—b. Heat Toxins (Dandelion, honey circle, …)
—c. Antibiotic ( 3 hunag brother: huang Lain, Huang Bai, Huang Qin)
—d. Anti-inflammatory ( ru xiang, mo yao, …)

Warm or Hot Herbs
1. Expel Wind 
—2. Warm the center
—3. Disperse Cold
—4. Tonify or Support Yang
—5. Stimulating or Agitating Function
6. Strengthening Function 

Neutral Herbs
Neutral Herbs: Supports the functions of the other herbs without affecting Heat or Cold.

WOW, My old Brain is getting a work out today. Doing my best to remember all I was Tought and What I Tought as a Master of Herbal Medicine and Accupunture in China.
I also teach a Class here in Phoenix at Phoenix Institution of Herbal medicine & Accupuncture.
I have a small clinic I run here also.
OK, just had a Jim Beam and Coke another setting in front of me, I'm Ready!   tinybiggrin

Tastes of herbs
1.Pungent  2.Sweet  3.Bland  4.Sour  5.Salty  6.Bitter 
What used for.
1.Pungent ---Dispersing ,Moving, Scattering
2.Sweet ---Tonify, harmonizes
3.Bland ---Leaches out dampness, promotes Urination
4.Sour ---Collecting, astringing
5.Salty---Mildly, descends
6.Bitter---purges, dries, descends 

Classification of herbs
Qi herbal-( Tonify Qi, regulate Qi, move Qi…)
—Blood Herbals-( invigorate BD, move BD, cool BD, stop Bleeding…)
—Drain Dampness Herbs -( Drain damp, promote urination, dry damp…)
—Yin herbals -( Tonify yin, generate yin, nourishing yin…)
—Yang herbals -( Tonify yang( Sp yg, KD yg), warm yang, left yang Qi, left yang  collapse …)
—Woman herbs-( regulate menstruation, infertilities, lection…)
—Men herbs- ( yang deficient…)

Classification of Formula
Formulas that Release the Exterior, release cold, wind heat.
—Formulas that Clear Heat, Clear Heat from the Qi Level, Clear Heat from the Nutritive Level and Cool the Blood, Clear Heat & Relieve Toxins, Clear Heat from Organs, Clear Heat from Deficiency and Relieve Summer Heat.
Drain Downward, Purge Heat Accumulation, Moisten Intestines and Unblock the Bowels, Warm the Yang and Guide Out Accumulations and Drive Out Excess Water.
—Tonify, Tonify the Qi -<<Si Jun Zi Tang>>; ingrdiens- ren shen, bai zhu, fu ling, gan cao, Tonify the Blood -<<si Wu Tnag>>: ingradians, Tonify the Qi & Blood -<<, Ba zhen tang>>,
Nourish and Tonify the Yin -<< mai men dong tang>> and Warm and Tonify the Yang-<< jin gui shen qi wan>>.

How to apply herbal formula to patients
looking(Wang)望 
Spirit, face, eye, nose, ears, mouth, lips, teeth,  throat, Tongue( body, coating),Physical   characteristics of the body)
—
—Listening and Smelling( Wen)闻
sounds, odors

—Asking( wen)问
Chief complaint, current health conditions, and health history
—
—Touching ( Palpation)(Qie)切 
Radial pulses, Abdomen, Meridians, and other body areas

Diagnose disease, determine pattern
Use zang fu theory--( 5 zang , 6 fu)
—8 princible--( Hot/cold,-/+,yin/yg/, Ex/Interior)
—4 leveles--( Wei, Qi, Nutritive, BD)
—6 stages--( yang ming, Tai Yang, Sao Yang, Tai yin, Shao yin, Jue Yin)
—3 jiao --( Upper Jiao, Middle Jiao, Lower Jiao)
—5 elements—( wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water)

Disease pattern matching herbal category  and pattern
Hot disease à formula with cool, or cold herbs( Ex/In, -/+, yin/yg)
—Cold diseaseà Formula with hot, or warm  herbs
—Deficient diseaseà Tonify formula
—Excess diseaseà formula with drain damp, or clear heat, or purge heat, Transform phlegem herbs.

OK, I'm done for now, Hope this helps.
NOW!
Diagnose disease, determine pattern
Use zang fu theory--( 5 zang , 6 fu)
—8 princible--( Hot/cold,-/+,yin/yg/, Ex/Interior)
—4 leveles--( Wei, Qi, Nutritive, BD)
—6 stages--( yang ming, Tai Yang, Sao Yang, Tai yin, Shao yin, Jue Yin)
—3 jiao --( Upper Jiao, Middle Jiao, Lower Jiao)
—5 elements—( wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water)

Disease pattern matching herbal category  and pattern
Hot disease à formula with cool, or cold herbs( Ex/In, -/+, yin/yg)
—Cold diseaseà Formula with hot, or warm  herbs

—Deficient diseaseà Tonify formula
—Excess diseaseà formula with drain damp, or clear heat, or purge heat, Transform phlegem herbs.

Medicinal wines (jiu酒)( tinctures)
   Long Dan Cao tinctures
Ratio

—Herbs: 1

—Solution : 6 ( water:3 ; wines:3 )

—Exmple :

-Long Dan Cao Tinctures

-Long dan cao: 100g

- Solution : 600ml ( 300ml H2O+300ml wines)

Labeling:

-Name of the tinctures

-Date of the tinctures

-Ratio of  the tinctures

-Function of the tinctures
  -Prescriptions 

Have a good night!

晚安!

Guohua
Great Information!   Bookmarked!   minusculebeercheers
Good Thread Mrs G ......  should add in accupuncture too .... TCM an accupuncture far better an safer than western medicine ......
Better to reign in hell ....
  than serve in heaven .....

(11-09-2016, 02:54 AM)Daitengu Wrote: Good Thread Mrs G ......  should add in accupuncture too .... TCM an accupuncture far better an safer than western medicine ......

I well as I get time, hoping that others will contribute.
Very good thread.  I have researched a little of Chinese medicine and tried to find the equivalent of it that grows around here.  Cross referencing that is difficult, they tend to classify things as weeds here.  I found that the star anise, a known chinese herb has some similar chemistry as found in white pine needle tea.  It can be used to treat the flu and this chemical is the basis of tamaflu.  I like white pine tea, if made right it is actually tasty.  Some recipes people use make it taste really strong but a mild steeped tea is good tasting and it also is effective for viruses.  Not quite as fun as a Hot Totti though.  They work in different ways.  White pine needle tea is also super high in vitamin C.

I researched maybe twenty herbs, I was only able to find about three or four cross references with plants here.  We do have ginsing, I actually have some on my property.  The ones here appear to be extremely old plants, full of knots on the roots.  The one I looked at was maybe a hundred years old judging by what I saw and comparing it to information on the net.  The roots are thin though, not much weight there.  There isn't much of it, I figured it can live till I need it.  I would feel guilty harvesting it if I didn't need it.  There is probably more around here in the woods on the hills, but I haven't seen it when walking in the woods.  To identify it I need to see it when it has the berries on it.  It is very pretty with the berries on it.
(11-13-2016, 05:15 AM)rickymouse Wrote: Very good thread.  I have researched a little of Chinese medicine and tried to find the equivalent of it that grows around here.  Cross referencing that is difficult, they tend to classify things as weeds here.  I found that the star anise, a known chinese herb has some similar chemistry as found in white pine needle tea.  It can be used to treat the flu and this chemical is the basis of tamaflu.  I like white pine tea, if made right it is actually tasty.  Some recipes people use make it taste really strong but a mild steeped tea is good tasting and it also is effective for viruses.  Not quite as fun as a Hot Totti though.  They work in different ways.  White pine needle tea is also super high in vitamin C.

I researched maybe twenty herbs, I was only able to find about three or four cross references with plants here.  We do have ginsing, I actually have some on my property.  The ones here appear to be extremely old plants, full of knots on the roots.  The one I looked at was maybe a hundred years old judging by what I saw and comparing it to information on the net.  The roots are thin though, not much weight there.  There isn't much of it, I figured it can live till I need it.  I would feel guilty harvesting it if I didn't need it.  There is probably more around here in the woods on the hills, but I haven't seen it when walking in the woods.  To identify it I need to see it when it has the berries on it.  It is very pretty with the berries on it.
That's a good thought, yes in America most are taught that Dandelions are Weeds and need to be killed.
Now Dandelion’s relationship with sugar is especially valuable for people with Type II diabetes. Insulin-dependent diabetics can benefit from dandelion since the root and leaf together support stabilized blood sugar levels.Taken in small quantities before meals since ancient times by Celts, Romans, Greeks, and Mediterranean people and Chinese, dandelion was used to improve, or balance, the appetite for other vegetables and fruit, grain dishes and proteins. An antidote to excess sugars, dandelion was one of the remedies used as early as the 2nd century AD. 

This would be something most people don't know, Dutch and German immigrants packed precious roots and seeds in their luggage before embarking on the voyage to Pennsylvania in the 1850’s. Europeans settlers grew dandelion to use as a supplement to food as well as for medicine. Historically, the leaves of dandelion have been added to spring salads to increase digestive, renal (kidney), and immune activity after a long winter of dried and preserved foods.

Like rickymouse said, check your gardens and front yards.
I'll link a good website on Dandelions, here: Link and Link and here is a must read for you everyone: Link
Great idea for a thread - as I am currently in China, I often have acupuncture, cupping and other TCM methods. 

One thing that I find great is Wormwood, which comes in many different formats and is great for aches and pains.  It is amazing and whether it is the heat or the plant which makes the difference, something definitely works for me when I use that.
(11-14-2016, 04:36 AM)1984hasarrived Wrote: Great idea for a thread - as I am currently in China, I often have acupuncture, cupping and other TCM methods. 

One thing that I find great is Wormwood, which comes in many different formats and is great for aches and pains.  It is amazing and whether it is the heat or the plant which makes the difference, something definitely works for me when I use that.

Actually it is Both, The Heat helps to maximize the Herb, you may notice, that a lot of external herbal treatments combine heat.
This plant (Absinthium) which is a Weed in America grows in many people's yards.
[Image: wormwood2__65623.1363706392.1280.1280.jpg?c=2] We also call the treatment you are receiving Moxibustion (Moxa), Excellent treatment for Pains and Aches and Arthritis.
Ms. G. have you heard anything about Digital Acupuncture?  

The site I'm linking is an advertisement, so I have to say I'm not endorsing it in anyway and have no affiliation with this company.
I was just wondering if anyone had heard of it, or tried it? 

[Image: photodune-3047836-acupuncture-l2.jpg]

Quote:Introducing Digital Acupuncture 2.0 (DA2)

DA2 is an energetically encoded audio, mandala and meditation program that broadcasts the energy of the 12 acupuncture meridians. It contains very powerful subtle energetic frequencies specifically arranged to instill a deep state of relaxation, stress relief and effortless meditation.  The audio portion of the program also contains brainwave entrainment technology.
How to Use Digital Acupuncture 2.0
  • Simply meditate with any of the audios for at least 20 to 60 minutes a day (or more if you like).
  • To keep your acupuncture meridians clear throughout the day, use one or more of the 14 different energetically encoded mandalas.
  • Digital Acupuncture 2.0 can even be used to help you sleep deeply and awaken refreshed and ready for your day.

Of course, there's more on the  Source Page  for anyone who would like to check it out.
(11-18-2016, 04:09 AM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: Ms. G. have you heard anything about Digital Acupuncture?  

The site I'm linking is an advertisement, so I have to say I'm not endorsing it in anyway and have no affiliation with this company.
I was just wondering if anyone had heard of it, or tried it? 

[Image: photodune-3047836-acupuncture-l2.jpg]

Quote:Introducing Digital Acupuncture 2.0 (DA2)

DA2 is an energetically encoded audio, mandala and meditation program that broadcasts the energy of the 12 acupuncture meridians. It contains very powerful subtle energetic frequencies specifically arranged to instill a deep state of relaxation, stress relief and effortless meditation.  The audio portion of the program also contains brainwave entrainment technology.
How to Use Digital Acupuncture 2.0
  • Simply meditate with any of the audios for at least 20 to 60 minutes a day (or more if you like).
  • To keep your acupuncture meridians clear throughout the day, use one or more of the 14 different energetically encoded mandalas.
  • Digital Acupuncture 2.0 can even be used to help you sleep deeply and awaken refreshed and ready for your day.

Of course, there's more on the  Source Page  for anyone who would like to check it out.
Yes, I have three of those models, small to human size for both male and female, because the sex does make a difference. That's the Statues I'm speaking of for Acupuncture Points. 
NOW! 
Yes, digital acupuncture it actually a high state of Meditation. I've never known it to work, Sorry, but I have patients who've tried this and spent a lot of money on the program and they came back to me.
You want the truth I know, so here it is, the Meditation music I had posted before, That music I know works for people that are Stressed and Troubled in their life.
Any thing that'll help YOU get to a place of Peace and Quiet and Unity With Your Center Self is what works.

Some people like to have the tv on in the background and others just the sound of Wind or Rain or Running Water. 
Most soft and relaxing music with flutes of soft drums and water do well for people.
If people request I can attach the videos here again of known relaxing music.

Because the proper Flow of your Qi (chi) and your Xue to flow in rhythm. Now your Qi or Chi represents your Bodies Energy and your Xue is your Blood. 
Most experts agree that acupuncture is over 3000 years old. Oriental Medicine is the most widely utilized healing system on the planet. Its roots are in China. Traditional acupuncture is based on ancient Chinese theories of the flow of Qi (Energy) and Xue (Blood) through distinct meridians or pathways that cover the body somewhat like the nerves and blood vessels. Acupuncture is intended to promote health and alleviate pain and suffering. The method by which this is accomplished has been time tested over thousands of years.

Now My Dear Friend, this can not be accomplish without the Time Practised Application of the Acupuncture Needles.
Relaxing Music well help a person Calm and Relax and Feel Refreshed. Yes, that's Meditation and It Helps Your Body Heal Itself At Times.

But nothing well replace the power of a Skilled Acupuncturist.
Sorry, I went on to long I think.
2 things...

I noticed half way through you stopped for a JB and Coke. What dynasty was that from?

And...One thing I noticed during 8 yrs in Asia is that it seems as if half of the remedies are for a man's stamina so that must be why the Asian population is so large! :)

Good info...Gonna come back.

Jude
(11-18-2016, 04:57 AM)Jude Wrote: 2 things...

I noticed half way through you stopped for a JB and Coke. What dynasty was that from?

And...One thing I noticed during 8 yrs in Asia is that it seems as if half of the remedies are for a man's stamina so that must be  why the Asian population is so large! :)

Good info...Gonna come back.

Jude

The Shang Dynasty 1600 to 1046 BC and again very strongly in the Zhou Dynasty, from 1045 to 221 BC and then onward.
About like this Coke, it taste OLD!  tinysure

@"guohua" , alright....thanks for posting the meditation videos.  minusculethumbsup

Will save them to my bookmarks.   minusculebiggrin

a.k.a. 'snarky412'

(11-18-2016, 06:56 AM)senona Wrote: @"guohua" , alright....thanks for posting the meditation videos.  minusculethumbsup

Will save them to my bookmarks.   minusculebiggrin
After working this Holiday with those Kids and Ungrateful Parents, You'll need them I think. smalltappinghead