Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When Cancel Culture Hits Home
The internet has become a place where people think they are safe to say and post anything they wish. Some think they have anonymity, and they have rights. Cancel culture comes with the feeling of power and righteousness for many. It is a deadly double edged sword, that many wield but they never want to be struck with.

Those rights and anonymity one may think they have, can often come at a price, many will not want to pay. The sadness to much of it though, is that much of what people post is a lie. Many do not match their virtual personality at all. Worse yet are those that think they are being covert.

This man lost it all. Good thing about this, is that he seems to have made lemonade out of lemons.

Quote:Former CFO Now Unemployed, on Food Stamps After Viral Video

Mar 28, 2015

Adam Smith has been unable to find a job since a video he made in protest of Chick-Fil-A went viral.

Quote:"Speaking Frankly: Cancel Culture" | Full Documentary

Aug 13, 2020

Cancel culture has destroyed careers and upended the lives of many who’ve made a controversial statement or committed a socially unacceptable act. It's sparked a debate about whether such incidents precipitate much-needed change or simply threaten freedom of expression. This CBS Reports documentary dives into these complex conversations, featuring stories of people who experienced being "canceled" — and those who have used it as a tool to hold others to account.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

While I feel some sympathy for the guy, he really should have known better. Maybe I'm just cynical and callous as I get older, but even being the libby that I am, I would never have thought to put something like this out there. He could have vented to his wife, his kids, get it off his chest without exposing himself to blowing up everything that he worked for.

I thank God I don't work anymore. I was close to putting out a YouTube video out there around Independence Day to state my feelings about how messed up this country is and that I don't feel the least patriotic or proud to be an American. But in the end, I chickened out. While I don't have a job to lose, most of my friends are military veterans, patriotic, and conservative. I don't want to lose the few friends I have. And I know my hubby would have talked me out of it if he were still at home. He's always been the voice of reason. 

I absolutely hate cancel culture. It can cut both ways. It cancels liberals, conservatives, and everyone in between. People are so touchy. I feel I have to be so careful what I say on Facebook and Twitter, and when I'm around my family and friends. Rogue Nation is the only place I feel "safe" to post how I really feel. I know it does offend some, but you all have been very patient. 

BTW, I love, love, love ChikFilA. I don't care if they are anti gay, I just love their chicken. I don't boycott places due to their political or religious beliefs. I enjoyed shopping at Hobby Lobby before they closed down all their stores. I just think life is too short to be boycotting stuff. If I like something/someone, I don't care what they do in their sex life, their beliefs, etc. I love listening to Kid Rock, Charlie Daniels God rest his soul. They are both conservative. So what? Their music rocks! Maybe I'm not your typical libby, but whatever.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
Oh man, moving to Portland was one of THE worse places to relocate to in his situation! He seems like a good strong caring father. Sad most ridiculous, decaying times we live in. You're right that nobody is anonymous on the Internet. No matter what clever seemingly covert measures you take the demons in the machine will find you.

[Image: mbCXPEC.gif]

What many out there on the Interweb don't know/don't realize is that much of the propaganda (black/white & grey) & rhetoric is propagated by bots. Automated non-human bots. Once you and/or a vid created by you gain a certain number of viewer/followers (on any platform) you by default make yourself a (bot) target, especially if what you say goes against the Corporatocracy status quo. Bots target human emotions and they are getting more intelligent. Beware.

"There are no happy endings in history, only crisis points that pass."
"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
― Isaac Asimov
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

The problem with cancel culture is that it has been weaponized, just like about everything else about the internet.

If I receive poor service, or have been mistreated by an employee of the establishment, I will report the incident to the owner. If the resolution is not satisfactory, I will indeed withdraw my customer support, and will not give them any more of my money. I will also inform all my family and friends of the incident, and warn them. It is totally up to them if they continue to patronize the company.

I am not the person that is out to get a person fired because they offended me. I believe in giving a person the benefit of the doubt, and I am big on trying to understand why the employee is being inappropriate. I am very cool, calm, and direct, but not agressive, and very much soft spoken, and dry in my aproach. It does not always work, and sometimes backfires. I am usually prepared for that moment when it all comes apart and goes South. Usually at that point, it becomes very clear, there is not going to be a satisfactorily outcome. So I usually attempt all attempts of trying to communicate with the person.

I will report a person that is a detriment to the business or to the customer.

No body will excuse me if they have a loved one injured or killed because I ignored the in appropriate behavior or the incompetence, of a co-worker.

Saying this, because some people do need to be reported, and they do need to lose their jobs. Of course someone on the internet may see that as a form of cancel culture. But the fear of cancel culture cannot be used as an excuse for people not being held responsible and held accountable, for their actions.

• minusculebeercheers 

I love R-N3, I can feel free to express myself as I would during a conversation around a bonfire when a bottle is being passed around. I have respect, I try to never cop an attitude, but I can use words and state my opinion in a way that I think and feel about it without filtering it too much. It's even cool to get someone pissed at you, that's cool because you don't really know your friends until they get mad at you.

Thanks to the usual suspects here, I keep this high up on my bookmarks and post here first for the most part. I don't worry about being cancelled here, of course my views aren't too extreme until I start to drinking and listening to MC-5 or Iggy Pop, then my Detroit attitude seems to surface. No one deleted anything I've written here and I got pretty out of line with regards to what the liberal progressives are pushing, so cheers my friends!

minusculebeercheers
(07-29-2022, 12:29 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I love R-N3, I can feel free to express myself as I would during a conversation around a bonfire when a bottle is being passed around. I have respect, I try to never cop an attitude, but I can use words and state my opinion in a way that I think and feel about it without filtering it too much. It's even cool to get someone pissed at you, that's cool because you don't really know your friends until they get mad at you.

Thanks to the usual suspects here, I keep this high up on my bookmarks and post here first for the most part. I don't worry about being cancelled here, of course my views aren't too extreme until I start to drinking and listening to MC-5 or Iggy Pop, then my Detroit attitude seems to surface. No one deleted anything I've written here and I got pretty out of line with regards to what the liberal progressives are pushing, so cheers my friends!

minusculebeercheers

I was always of the school of "A drunk tongue, speaks a sober mind". But I have hung out with a lot of drunks in my lifetime, and have learned that they rarely do what they say, and their hearts are bigger than their mouths.

minusculebeercheers

• minusculebeercheers 

I think the secret to being uncancellable is to just not care what they think or do. If someone doesn't like what I say, well, they are entitled to their own opinions, same as I am. If they want to go toe to toe over it, I ain't hard to find. If they want to "cancel" me, fuck 'em. I don't care. I have to care what their opinion is before being "cancelled" will bother me, and their opinion just doesn't carry that much weight with me if all they're gonna do with it is try to eliminate someone else.

Same for employers. If one wants to fire me or not hire me to begin with over something I posted online (which has happened to me, by the way) then fuck them, too. I was already looking for a job when I ran into that one, so I can just keep looking, no harm, no foul. Why would I want to work for their uptight asses anyhow?

So, yeah, I think they can't "cancel" you unless you give a shit what they think to begin with.

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(07-29-2022, 01:40 AM)Ninurta Wrote: I think the secret to being uncancellable is to just not care what they think or do. If someone doesn't like what I say, well, they are entitled to their own opinions, same as I am. If they want to go toe to toe over it, I ain't hard to find. If they want to "cancel" me, fuck 'em. I don't care. I have to care what their opinion is before being "cancelled" will bother me, and their opinion just doesn't carry that much weight with me if all they're gonna do with it is try to eliminate someone else.

Same for employers. If one wants to fire me or not hire me to begin with over something I posted online (which has happened to me, by the way) then fuck them, too. I was already looking for a job when I ran into that one, so I can just keep looking, no harm, no foul. Why would I want to work for their uptight asses anyhow?

So, yeah, I think they can't "cancel" you unless you give a shit what they think to begin with.

My personal way of cancelling is to withhold my money and or withhold my services.

I truly believe you teach people how to treat you. I do not reward, disrespect, rudeness, or unwarranted aggression. I will not engage, with folk that are not worth my time or energy. Unless they are so unwise, as to prevent me from walking away.

Oh! And don't strike me or spit on me. Those are deadly actions that I do not have the ability to ignore. Somebody is going to jail or to hell, if any of those actions are sent my way.

Not trying to pretend to be a bad ass. I hate fighting, and will go out of my way to avoid it. There are just some things that are outside of my ability to control.

• minusculebeercheers 

(07-29-2022, 12:47 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 12:29 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I love R-N3, I can feel free to express myself as I would during a conversation around a bonfire when a bottle is being passed around. I have respect, I try to never cop an attitude, but I can use words and state my opinion in a way that I think and feel about it without filtering it too much. It's even cool to get someone pissed at you, that's cool because you don't really know your friends until they get mad at you.

minusculebeercheers

I was always of the school of "A drunk tongue, speaks a sober mind". But I have hung out with a lot of drunks in my lifetime, and have learned that they rarely do what they say, and their hearts are bigger than their mouths.

minusculebeercheers

So true, one guy I knew said alcohol is like a truth serum, but of course, everyone sobers up after awhile. And even though I've spoken my heart on a drunk, it won't cause a commotion here really even if I do. That along with the cool folks here make me feel it's OK to express myself as I think and feel it without feeling like I'm walking on egg shells. I'm sure others feel as I do here.