Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Timeless Message or Personal Situation?
I've been delving into music for inspiration lately. I have for most of my life really, but I've had to actively include music in my life more recently for some reason. Old age perhaps or just caught up in the grind so much I had forgotten musical inspiration. It can be a powerful motivating force if you can find inspiring music and lyrics.

So I have been contemplating some music I find meaningful and inspiring. One is "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" by Traffic and another is "Head Like a Hole" by Nine Inch Nails. Just examining the lyrics of both songs sends me timeless messages, however, upon deeper research I've found that neither song is about what I interpreted them to be.

With Low Spark, I find a deep mystical meaning about the spiritual power of higher beings and our place as mere mortals when it is more likely about drug use and the music industry at that time. With Head Like a Hole, I thought it was about materialism, money and power over the masses. Once again it was more likely about crack addiction and growing up in a strict rural Bible belt family.

But what make these songs great in my mind? Art is hard to judge when beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone sees it differently. We all bring something to the table as an audience and maybe, regardless of the original story or message that was intended by the artists, it contains some universal meaning that appeals across a wide spectrum of people. A message, although misinterpreted, that has an unintended connection to the human condition.

I'd rather believe that these artists touched upon something outside of what inspired them. These particular life experiences created something well beyond a singular perspective. This creates classic and timeless music because it has an appeal beyond the scope of it's conception. It doesn't really matter what the song or musical score it is, it's about how it resonates with the listener and the world they find themselves in.

I believe this to be the influence of the Muses, they tease the creative and lead them to a higher calling.
(07-02-2022, 02:14 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I've been delving into music for inspiration lately. I have for most of my life really, but I've had to actively include music in my life more recently for some reason. Old age perhaps or just caught up in the grind so much I had forgotten musical inspiration. It can be a powerful motivating force if you can find inspiring music and lyrics.

So I have been contemplating some music I find meaningful and inspiring. One is "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" by Traffic and another is "Head Like a Hole" by Nine Inch Nails. Just examining the lyrics of both songs sends me timeless messages, however, upon deeper research I've found that neither song is about what I interpreted them to be.

With Low Spark, I find a deep mystical meaning about the spiritual power of higher beings and our place as mere mortals when it is more likely about drug use and the music industry at that time. With Head Like a Hole, I thought it was about materialism, money and power over the masses. Once again it was more likely about crack addiction and growing up in a strict rural Bible belt family.

But what make these songs great in my mind? Art is hard to judge when beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone sees it differently. We all bring something to the table as an audience and maybe, regardless of the original story or message that was intended by the artists, it contains some universal meaning that appeals across a wide spectrum of people. A message, although misinterpreted, that has an unintended connection to the human condition.

I'd rather believe that these artists touched upon something outside of what inspired them. These particular life experiences created something well beyond a singular perspective. This creates classic and timeless music because it has an appeal beyond the scope of it's conception. It doesn't really matter what the song or musical score it is, it's about how it resonates with the listener and the world they find themselves in.

I believe this to be the influence of the Muses, they tease the creative and lead them to a higher calling.

You know, especially with NIN but others as well, I've found that reading the "what do lyrics mean" sites has ruined things for me in a way. Personally I am attached much more to the "what it meant to me" when I listened to it in those younger days. 

I'd rather die than give you control...
(07-02-2022, 02:14 AM)Michigan Swamp Buck Wrote: I've been delving into music for inspiration lately. I have for most of my life really, but I've had to actively include music in my life more recently for some reason. Old age perhaps or just caught up in the grind so much I had forgotten musical inspiration. It can be a powerful motivating force if you can find inspiring music and lyrics.

I think all that have a brain and a heart, is impacted by music.

The say that music has charms that will soothe a savage beast, or something like that.

I don't know if it is the vibrations, the sounds, or the moment. But I find music, inspiring, and it often gives me the energy I need to get through a task.

Animals do respond to music. I found this cute.

This is just funny, because they all dance better than me.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

No doubt music is a very powerful motivator to lift you up as well as spiritually. Try spending a week listening to music with NO lyrics. Found the same as DuckforcoveR regarding lyric meanings, however, also the opposite where I grow even more attached. That said I usually don't read into lyric meanings by others or even the writer, unless curiosity gets the best of me. Songs of the 80s-early 90s for me hit hardest.
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

@"NightskyeB4Dawn"

Quote:Animals do respond to music. I found this cute.

Explanation: I fully concur and I hereby supply an old thread of mine as extra proof of that fact ...

She Starts To Sing An Ancient Viking Song, Now Watch How The Cows Respond.

And here is the video ...

Personal Disclosure: My 1st 3 threads that I posted to RN3 were/are all music videos ...

In the Ghetto!

Why I Think This World Should End!

Disturbing the Sounds Of Silence!

And I often use music to try to get my point across to others and I find music to be magickal in nature!

I hope everybody enjoys the music ... and maybe learns something from it.minusculebeercheers
OL at beez - "Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, it's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake. I drink it up!"

Do not engage in useless activity ... and ... from one thing, know many things!

Think Globally, Act Locally, Feel Internally ... Wash, Rinse, Dry and Repeat!

It's Just A Ride!
(07-02-2022, 03:33 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn"

Explanation: I fully concur and I hereby supply an old thread of mine as extra proof of that fact ...

Personal Disclosure: My 1st 3 threads that I posted to RN3 were/are all music videos ...

In the Ghetto!

And I often use music to try to get my point across to others and I find music to be magickal in nature!

I hope everybody enjoys the music ... and maybe learns something from it.minusculebeercheers

I think that one bull was hearing this.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

EndtheMadnessNow:

Quote:No doubt music is a very powerful motivator to lift you up as well as spiritually. Try spending a week listening to music with NO lyrics. Found the same as DuckforcoveR regarding lyric meanings, however, also the opposite where I grow even more attached. That said I usually don't read into lyric meanings by others or even the writer, unless curiosity gets the best of me. Songs of the 80s-early 90s for me hit hardest.

Yes, some early Pink Floyd has very little for lyrics, or another favorite band with few lyrics is Mike Oldfield, specifically Ommadawn or if you like Tubular Bells. It could be classical music, I find that inspiring as well.
I thought I should say that most songs are exactly what they seem to be, both musically and lyrically. There are some artists that very clearly send a message, tell a story or evoke an emotional response. I'm not so sure many of those stand the test of time.

The subjective nature of song lyrics allow for some deep thought.  Subject matter typically providing boundaries.  

Because of that, when im looking for introspection or new ideas, its instrumental.  Peter Gundry has a vast library and one of my favs. 

IMHO of course.
(07-02-2022, 03:33 AM)OmegaLogos Wrote: @"NightskyeB4Dawn"

In the Ghetto!

That video was so amazing and I did feel like I learned something from it.  I couldn't believe how all the cows responded so quickly like that.  Did you notice the one that tried to mount the other one toward the end?  That was unexpected, and it looked like it was unexpected for the other cow too!  Music is magical for sure.  I can't imagine not being able to play myself. I play guitar every day because I recently rejoined an old band of mine but I was playing the cello every day for a long time and I'm building a harp that I don't yet know how to play but I hopefully will one day.  Used to play the flute too but my flute broke and I never got it fixed or replace...  That was 40 years ago...
I put this thread up on the other side for more input on the subject. I posted a bit about my thoughts on Low Spark in the following post . . .

Quote:As far as Low Spark goes, I interpreted that as the spark being a small insignificant action by high heeled (elevated) boys (beings). The "sound" is all you notice, you're not even aware of the spark, not even the high heeled boys notice it as they are so elevated above everything else.

"Don't worry too much it'll happen to you" as it is our fate as mortals to be at the whim of these higher beings. "But it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys" It's the low spark that has control over your existence, your fate, that's like a bullet from a gun without noise (although I took that part literally).

That's where I'm coming from, unfortunately, that's not what it's talking about. I could go on about what is considered the real story behind those lyrics, but I don't think I need to do that to make my point about timeless music and individual interpretations vs the intended meanings.

Plus that massive chord they strike toward the end of the song, man that is the greatest chord in rock music IMO.

Tool's 'Lateralus' does this to me every time. I could get lost in discussing the absolutely annoying and brilliant math and technical insanity of Danny Carey's drum work and time signature modulation, the significance of each second that Adam Jones and Justin Chancellor engage and disengage, right down to the cadence of Maynard's lyrics... Everyone that makes a YouTube video has discussed all of this ad nauseam... What very few bring up, however, is the specific lyric...
"Overthinking Overanalyzing separates the body from the mind"
...the song is not meant to be deconstructed. It is a ritual so to speak...
For instance... "Black then White are all I see Red and Yellow then came to me"...
Most associate the above as anecdotal to the supposed stages of the development of a child's ability to see colour... But then, add to that the colours of the 4 Humors...add to that Magnum Opus of alchemy, add to that a Native American Medicine Colour Wheel, add to that the lyric from a Christian Sunday school song..
"Red and Yellow, Black and White, they are precious in his sight"
Those same 4 colours are universal... Why are they universal? I must research further... And suddenly I am overthinking instead of losing myself in the music like the shamans of old...
In the game of chess, you can never let your adversary see your pieces. - Zapp Brannigan
Here is some analysis of Low Spark I found. Everyone is trying to figure that one out it seems. 

Quote:Traffic drummer Jim Capaldi started writing this song in Morocco, where he was getting ready to make a movie called Nevertheless with actor Michael J. Pollard. The film project fell through, but did lead to one of Traffic's best-known songs. Said Capaldi: "Pollard and I would sit around writing lyrics all day, talking about Bob Dylan and the Band, thinking up ridiculous plots for the movie. Before I left Morocco, Pollard wrote in my book 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.' For me, it summed him up. He had this tremendous rebel attitude. He walked around in his cowboy boots, his leather jacket. At the time he was a heavy little dude. It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The 'Low Spark,' for me, was the spirit, high-spirited. You know, standing on a street corner. The low rider. The 'Low Spark' meaning that strong undercurrent at the street level."

I like Michael J Pollard, he was in tons of movies. That was one I never heard before. Then there are two others that are excepted as strong possibilities . . .

Quote:The song is about drug culture and the relationships between users and suppliers. Low spark is injection, and high heeled boy is speedball, a mixture of coc aine and heroin. The first verse is about shooting up. The second verse is about a dealer that got overdosed. The man in the suit making profits on the dreams of his customers is the dealer. The third verse waxes philosophical and asks what you would do in a life and death situation, and if you haven’t been in a life and death situation, assures you that one day you will be, if not already. That what bothers you is that you know you are already in a life and death situation.

Okay…it’s a drug culture song. Good to know. But, I’ve heard there’s another explanation. I found this one:

It could be, about their agents. Low Spark refers to the low creativity of their High Heeled Boys who profit from the songwriter’s and musician’s dreams, their muse, while the artists live way too high and beyond all their means.

Hmmm….this makes sense, too. Musicians have always had issues with record label executives who cheat artists out of residuals and managers who steal their money. This wouldn’t be the first time a situation like this would be captured in a song.

https://www.chicagonow.com/hippy-shakes/...eled-boys/