Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Of Deer, Cold, and Drunken Women
I apologize ahead of time for this one. I need to get it off my chest. It has to do with good deeds, small towns, and retaliation. I appreciate your kind indulgence. 

I live in a rural area. My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. It is quiet with lots of wildlife. I do my best to cultivate natural surroundings and provide that which an agricultural field and wood lot (it's former incarnation) could not. After 8-9 years here, it is looking pretty nice. All kinds of wildlife and native plants. I feed the birds and squirrels with sunflower seeds and a little corn in the winter. We have deer winter over in our little valley because it is sheltered and there is forage. 

Important note to this story: it is illegal to feed deer in my state. If a deer comes to eat some of the food for the birds or squirrels, the law does not care your intent. You are feeding the deer which is illegal. $348 citation for one kernel of corn on the ground. Never mind there is a mile long corn field directly across the road from us. Don't go looking for logic in conservation laws, there is none. 

However, for 8-9 years we have steered clear of any problems with the conservation officers. Not a peep about anything. This is a critical point to my upcoming conspiracy theory. 

*Break in the story 1* Last night my wife and I were coming home from town. The wind chill was below zero and lots of snow. We come across a car in the creek bottom. Big time in the ditch. Messed up vehicle. We stop to see if anyone is in there. There was. Turned out to be one of our more distant neighbors. She was "sleeping" in the front seat. She seemed really out of it. Another car had stopped and had called 911. It took some coaxing but we got here out of the car and into ours where it was warm. We proceeded to take her home all the while making additional contact with 911 to let them know what was going on. Under other circumstances, we would have just waited there. But it was bitterly cold, she was shivering, and she live less than a mile away. 

When I spoke to the deputy over the phone, he asked if she was drunk. I have no way to verify if she is or if she isn't. I am guessing she is but she could have hit her head on the steering wheel sliding into the ditch. She could be missing medication. I have no clue. All I could think was "Dude, why don't you come check? I told you where we were and who she was. Kind of your job right?" I said I did not know, which was truthful. No one has yet called or showed up to take my statement. All she said the whole way home was don't call 911. Never mind that bridge had been crossed by the other guy who stopped. She is a piece of work. Upon arriving at here home, her husband didn't even want to speak to her. Not a happy home. 

*Break in the story 2* This afternoon we had what looked like a police vehicle pull in the yard. I figured they were finally here to take my statement. Nope. Conservation Warden. He gives me a warning about feeding deer. I have no doubt he will come back tomorrow and write me the citation. All it takes is one kernel on the ground somewhere in 10 acres. 

Conspiracy Theory: Neighbor who we took home so she didn't freeze to death was upset the police got called. She did not know the other guy but she knew us. The Conservation Warden (who we have never seen in almost a decade) randomly shows up less than 24 hours after the affair on my property looking to fine me for some serious piddly BS with a not so piddly price tag. 

I have no proof there is any connection between her drunken foray into the creek bottom and the CW showing up at my place (it was -20 today by the way) less than 24 hours apart. But what are the odds?
(01-07-2022, 11:50 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I apologize ahead of time for this one. I need to get it off my chest. It has to do with good deeds, small towns, and retaliation. I appreciate your kind indulgence. 

I live in a rural area. My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. It is quiet with lots of wildlife. I do my best to cultivate natural surroundings and provide that which an agricultural field and wood lot (it's former incarnation) could not. After 8-9 years here, it is looking pretty nice. All kinds of wildlife and native plants. I feed the birds and squirrels with sunflower seeds and a little corn in the winter. We have deer winter over in our little valley because it is sheltered and there is forage. 

Important note to this story: it is illegal to feed deer in my state. If a deer comes to eat some of the food for the birds or squirrels, the law does not care your intent. You are feeding the deer which is illegal. $348 citation for one kernel of corn on the ground. Never mind there is a mile long corn field directly across the road from us. Don't go looking for logic in conservation laws, there is none. 

However, for 8-9 years we have steered clear of any problems with the conservation officers. Not a peep about anything. This is a critical point to my upcoming conspiracy theory. 

*Break in the story 1* Last night my wife and I were coming home from town. The wind chill was below zero and lots of snow. We come across a car in the creek bottom. Big time in the ditch. Messed up vehicle. We stop to see if anyone is in there. There was. Turned out to be one of our more distant neighbors. She was "sleeping" in the front seat. She seemed really out of it. Another car had stopped and had called 911. It took some coaxing but we got here out of the car and into ours where it was warm. We proceeded to take her home all the while making additional contact with 911 to let them know what was going on. Under other circumstances, we would have just waited there. But it was bitterly cold, she was shivering, and she live less than a mile away. 

When I spoke to the deputy over the phone, he asked if she was drunk. I have no way to verify if she is or if she isn't. I am guessing she is but she could have hit her head on the steering wheel sliding into the ditch. She could be missing medication. I have no clue. All I could think was "Dude, why don't you come check? I told you where we were and who she was. Kind of your job right?" I said I did not know, which was truthful. No one has yet called or showed up to take my statement. All she said the whole way home was don't call 911. Never mind that bridge had been crossed by the other guy who stopped. She is a piece of work. Upon arriving at here home, her husband didn't even want to speak to her. Not a happy home. 

*Break in the story 2* This afternoon we had what looked like a police vehicle pull in the yard. I figured they were finally here to take my statement. Nope. Conservation Warden. He gives me a warning about feeding deer. I have no doubt he will come back tomorrow and write me the citation. All it takes is one kernel on the ground somewhere in 10 acres. 

Conspiracy Theory: Neighbor who we took home so she didn't freeze to death was upset the police got called. She did not know the other guy but she knew us. The Conservation Warden (who we have never seen in almost a decade) randomly shows up less than 24 hours after the affair on my property looking to fine me for some serious piddly BS with a not so piddly price tag. 

I have no proof there is any connection between her drunken foray into the creek bottom and the CW showing up at my place (it was -20 today by the way) less than 24 hours apart. But what are the odds?

Hard to be a good person with idiots and government gestapo
Does she know you feed the wildlife ?

Does sound like a sketch coincidence.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(01-08-2022, 11:09 AM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Does she know you feed the wildlife ?

Does sound like a sketch coincidence.

Cheers

Yes. And has known for years. Never was a problem before.
(01-08-2022, 10:00 AM)727Sky Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 11:50 PM)ABNARTY Wrote: I apologize ahead of time for this one. I need to get it off my chest. It has to do with good deeds, small towns, and retaliation. I appreciate your kind indulgence. 

Hard to be a good person with idiots and government gestapo

Maybe that is at the heart of the issues that's bothering me. With drunken creek bottom woman and the wildlife, I was simply doing what feels right to me. Yet, here I am with a hand full of crap.
(01-08-2022, 06:59 PM)ABNARTY Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: Hard to be a good person with idiots and government gestapo

Maybe that is at the heart of the issues that's bothering me. With drunken creek bottom woman and the wildlife, I was simply doing what feels right to me. Yet, here I am with a hand full of crap.

Next time, I'd leave her in the creek to die of hypothermia.

It's nice to be nice, but some times, you are just not in the time or place for it.

------------
Do they cite the corn farmers around there for "feeding deer" too? 'Cause you KNOW those deer get into those cornfields and chow down. It's illegal to feed them here, too, yet Walmart sells "deer corn" in big bags during hunting season... and they can't get a man here for feeding hogs just because a deer might wander by and nibble on the piles out in the woods. Same for salt blocks. It's illegal to salt deer, but if they happen to be drawn to a block left out for cattle, well,that ain't the farmer's fault, now is it? He can't control where those deer go or what they lick...

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(01-08-2022, 09:56 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 06:59 PM)ABNARTY Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 10:00 AM)727Sky Wrote: Hard to be a good person with idiots and government gestapo

Next time, I'd leave her in the creek to die of hypothermia.

It's nice to be nice, but some times, you are just not in the time or place for it.

------------
Do they cite the corn farmers around there for "feeding deer" too? 'Cause you KNOW those deer get into those cornfields and chow down. It's illegal to feed them here, too, yet Walmart sells "deer corn" in big bags during hunting season... and they can't get a man here for feeding hogs just because a deer might wander by and nibble on the piles out in the woods. Same for salt blocks. It's illegal to salt deer, but if they happen to be drawn to a block left out for cattle, well,that ain't the farmer's fault, now is it? He can't control where those deer go or what they lick...

You are not the first to mention that to me.  tinylaughing
To me it sounds like the drunken woman reported ,  some people are like that ....tiny souls that are triggered even when someone is helping them.

I like deers ,  not in front of my car, but generally . Deers need food also . Deer lives matters .
@"Kenzo" 

Quote:Deer lives matter

Especially in countries where it rains reindeer  tinylaughing

Sorry.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(01-10-2022, 08:43 AM)Kenzo Wrote: To me it sounds like the drunken woman reported ,  some people are like that ....tiny souls that are triggered even when someone is helping them.

I like deers ,  not in front of my car, but generally . Deers need food also . Deer lives matters .

I am with you. My critter neighbors are important to me.

Crazy story, but you may have helped or made the situation worse. I don't know, but you were being a good human being. 

As far as the warden showing up, you are not allowed to feed deer corn there? I can see a deer feeder right down the road from me and it's in town. In Kentucky.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(01-11-2022, 03:48 AM)kdog Wrote:

Crazy story, but you may have helped or made the situation worse. I don't know, but you were being a good human being. 

As far as the warden showing up, you are not allowed to feed deer corn there? I can see a deer feeder right down the road from me and it's in town. In Kentucky.

Cannot feed deer. The reasons are tenuous for disease control.

Some people feed them to shoot them over the feed. I do not do that. I put a little feed out there to try and supplement their diet. There is no way large animals like deer could survive only on what I put out.

I am still trying to come up with an idea how to work around this.
I believe they are infringing on our rights to harvest what is on our lands, be it beast, plant or mineral.
The Truth is Out There, Somewhere
(01-11-2022, 05:14 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: I am still trying to come up with an idea how to work around this.

Drop it out on State land. Don't get caught. Deny all knowledge of how it got there. After all, you been warned, so you would obviously not do a thing like that!

Got any oak trees around? Gather up a few bags of acorns. Plant oak trees. Sometimes, you gotta leave little piles of acorns to make sure some of them sprout. Again, no idea how they got there - maybe a squirrel stash, eh?

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(01-11-2022, 10:28 AM)Ninurta Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 05:14 AM)ABNARTY Wrote: I am still trying to come up with an idea how to work around this.

Drop it out on State land. Don't get caught. Deny all knowledge of how it got there. After all, you been warned, so you would obviously not do a thing like that!

Got any oak trees around? Gather up a few bags of acorns. Plant oak trees. Sometimes, you gotta leave little piles of acorns to make sure some of them sprout. Again, no idea how they got there - maybe a squirrel stash, eh?

All good ideas. The problem is our DNR here. They should be renamed DGAF. In addition, the laws are so vague and broad they can be applied any which way and still be legal. 

You can have a hunting blind literally in a corn field and that's OK. If bird seed falls from the bird feeder in your yard, you are baiting them and spreading disease. 

I do not doubt deer disease exists. However, the faux-concern over it is nauseating. It is simply a vehicle to be intrusive to land owners. Their solution to handle disease is to shoot out all the deer in an area. If all the deer are dead, they can't spread the disease to other deer. Brilliant! 

I will come up with something to take care of my property and the critters.