Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LookingForABetterLife Name Change
Actually I'll keep the name for the time being.  My point is that the better life I've been searching for for the past 10 years is just around the corner now.

In the past 10 years I've had three hearings with Social Security per my disabilities.  Each case involved waiting. Waiting for the court date, waiting months and months afterwards for the verdict.  Denied each time of course.  My final wait was for the results of my appeal to the last hearing.  

Finally the results are in.  I have been approved for full disability benefits according to my lawyer.  This means that this will contribute towards that better life I have been waiting on, especially since my wife passed away and Social stopped my SSI payments at that time.

So for now I wait once again.  I await the Rewards Letter explaining how much I will receive and when it will get here.  I also wait for notice of the back pay that I will receive.  I know that the latter may take many months to be sent to me but at least I have a rough idea how much each will be.
If I am not here then I am probably someplace else.
The waiting is so frustrating! 

It took me 2.5 years to finally be approved. The judge told me at the hearing he was going to approve it.
I was never so happy, I almost danced on my bad knees. I really had no idea how we would survive if he had denied it.

My lawyer explained to me after we came out of the hearing how much I would be getting and how much back pay I'd get. Of course, they got a good chunk of it.

I hope you have enough to pay off any debts and save some back for retirement. It goes fast!
(08-30-2020, 10:04 PM)Mystic Wanderer Wrote: The waiting is so frustrating! 

It took me 2.5 years to finally be approved. The judge told me at the hearing he was going to approve it.
I was never so happy, I almost danced on my bad knees. I really had no idea how we would survive if he had denied it.

My lawyer explained to me after we came out of the hearing how much I would be getting and how much back pay I'd get. Of course, they got a good chunk of it.

I hope you have enough to pay off any debts and save some back  for retirement. It goes fast!

After having two heart attacks I fell like this news is a reverse heart attack. tinyloveit
After what the lawyer will get (who made a point this weekend to remind of of how much) I will have a nice chunk of money left over to get my life back in order and put aside for later.
(08-30-2020, 09:46 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Actually I'll keep the name for the time being.  My point is that the better life I've been searching for for the past 10 years is just around the corner now.

Do you remember, a year ago about,, i wrote to you that "Good things come to those who wait" ?

That might have sounded lame. Actually, now that i think of it, it might have made you even more frustrated at that time. But see, see what happened, man?

What is the new name going to be? FoundABetterLife? smallgreenbananadancer 

Me? regarding this topic, i kind of had to wait, and kind of did not. I was on 100% disability pension for fixed periods of time for a decade about, but now my pension is permanent, Mental health reasons. BetterLife knows that but i am a newbie here. I am really honest about these things, i do not hide behind a facade, i refuse to carry a stigma. Two psychotic episodes, year 2006 and 2009 due to severe substance abuse problem. All adult life has been just trying to cope with anxiety and depression. I know that Rogue Nation has a mental health forum or something like that. Gonna participate when i feel like i need to do it. I know stuff about human mind, and if i can help one, just one person out of the hell of madness, even for just a little while, then i feel pleasure, and that is a rare feeling for me.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(08-31-2020, 01:28 AM)Finspiracy Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 09:46 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Actually I'll keep the name for the time being.  My point is that the better life I've been searching for for the past 10 years is just around the corner now.

Do you remember, a year ago about,, i wrote to you that "Good things come to those who wait" ?

That might have sounded lame. Actually, now that i think of it, it might have made you even more frustrated at that time. But see, see what happened, man?

What is the new name going to be? FoundABetterLife? smallgreenbananadancer 

Me? regarding this topic, i kind of had to wait, and kind of did not. I was on 100% disability pension for fixed periods of time for a decade about, but now my pension is permanent, Mental health reasons. BetterLife knows that but i am a newbie here. I am really honest about these things, i do not hide behind a facade, i refuse to carry a stigma. Two psychotic episodes, year 2006 and 2009 due to severe substance abuse problem. All adult life has been just trying to cope with anxiety and depression. I know that Rogue Nation has a mental health forum or something like that. Gonna participate when i feel like i need to do it. I know stuff about human mind, and if i can help one, just one person out of the hell of madness, even for just a little while, then i feel pleasure, and that is a rare feeling for me.

Yes, I remember that you said that.  It looks like good things are coming to you in a hard way as well.  I feel sometimes that we must go as far as we can to the bottom in order to be raise up and get back to our lives.

New name?  I was thinking of "Alternate Universe Traveler Formerly Known As Looking For A Better Life" or do you think that is a bit too long?

I am looking forward to what you will add in RN per mental health issues.

In the past 10 years I've had three hearings with Social Security per my disabilities.  Each case involved waiting. Waiting for the court date, waiting months and months afterwards for the verdict.  Denied each time of course.  My final wait was for the results of my appeal to the last hearing.  

Finally the results are in.  I have been approved for full disability benefits according to my lawyer.  This means that this will contribute towards that better life I have been waiting on, especially since my wife passed away and Social stopped my SSI payments at that time.

So for now I wait once again.  I await the Rewards Letter explaining how much I will receive and when it will get here.  I also wait for notice of the back pay that I will receive.  I know that the latter may take many months to be sent to me but at least I have a rough idea how much each will be.
I’m so glad you’re finally getting the disability. I don’t know why Social Security makes people who really need disability go through all the hell of getting repeatedly denied and then people gotta hire a lawyer to get what they deserve. 

You’ve been through hell, and have come through. Okay, I’m thinking your new name on here could be 
Gone To Hell And Back and Found That Better Life, or maybe Badass Ninja, or whatever.  tinybiggrin So happy for you.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(08-31-2020, 02:29 AM)ChiefD Wrote:

I’m so glad you’re finally getting the disability. I don’t know why Social Security makes people who really need disability go through all the hell of getting repeatedly denied and then people gotta hire a lawyer to get what they deserve. 

You’ve been through hell, and have come through. Okay, I’m thinking your new name on here could be 
Gone To Hell And Back and Found That Better Life, or maybe Badass Ninja, or whatever.  tinybiggrin So happy for you.

I can picture Social Security as being a fat filthy rich person who refuses to give you any money unless you use this to squeeze at least a few pennies out of them.
[Image: roadroller.jpg]
I was actually disabled starting in 1979 but just a kid and not knowing any better on any services to help me.  If I had heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act when it went into effect things might have been different for me job wise.  All I managed to do was to have Supplemental Security Income until Social Security lost all my medical records and cancelled it.

I'll keep your input as to my new name in mind.  Thank you for being here.
(08-31-2020, 03:31 AM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: I'll keep your input as to my new name in mind.  Thank you for being here.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-31-2020, 04:40 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 03:31 AM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: I'll keep your input as to my new name in mind.  Thank you for being here.

Thank you for that song.  It made me smile.
(08-31-2020, 05:43 AM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote:

Damn thing has been playing in a loop in my head for two hours!!  LOL

"Happy Now" <-- get it?
'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to Mother in a cardboard box
You better run!
(08-31-2020, 05:45 AM)Snarl Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 05:43 AM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote:

Damn thing has been playing in a loop in my head for two hours!!  LOL

"Happy Now" <-- get it?
I got it, I got it, I got it, I got it.
(08-31-2020, 02:29 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I’m so glad you’re finally getting the disability. I don’t know why Social Security makes people who really need disability go through all the hell of getting repeatedly denied and then people gotta hire a lawyer to get what they deserve. 

@"ChiefD",  I'll tell you why. It's a scam! The whole system is a "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" scam. It keeps lawyers in business, and then the lawyers holds things up as long as possible so their cut will be more.

I was on the phone with my lawyer every few months asking what was taking so long?  "Ah, they (the judge) have a back log and we just have to wait until your name gets to the top of the pile."   SURE! 

I let them know how displeased I was that they weren't fighting harder to get me heard. I was sinking fast into a sea of debt using my credit card to survive.
When it came time to finally see the judge, I was at the end of my credit limit. So when I say I really didn't know how we would survive if I had been denied, I meant it.
I used my back pay to pay the card off in full.  I learned about those money traps long ago.