Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
A nasty Ant - "The Jack Jumper"
I have several nests of these little buggers that pop up from time to time on my block.  Generally get me while I'm burning off and raking.

[Image: Jack-Jumper.jpg]

I understand what Fire Ants are like and there are reports of infestations of them in Australia.  This nasty is a Fire Ant on steroids.  It attacks at blinding speed and, no bull, jumps better than a pole vaulter.  

When I get first get stung it's a little too late because the sting is followed by others if I'm not quick enough.  Generally get me through the socks above my shoes or boots and then on my legs and through my trousers if the pants are against the skin.  Sticky little creatures too because if I don't wear gloves and attempt to pick or wipe them off they are into the exposed fingers.  Hence I do a Nicky Lauda retreating, swatting and if necessary taking my footwear off and tearing at my belt to get my trousers off.  

insects.factsdiet.com/ant/jack-jumper-ant

The one pictured at top is the species that habits around here.  It isn't red.  Very hard to see and builds a nest camouflaged by ground litter and an opening.  If I rake over it's too late so generally I burn an area first and check the ground.  They tend to stay in the nest with a bit of smoke around however I have seen them jumping into the flames if I flick the nest to stir them up. 

I don't use pesticides on the ground to get rid of the next.  I mix up a 2 stroke - petrol (gasoline) and oil.  Lots of petrol.   While the nest is quiet I pour the mixture into the hole, and quite a bit too.  I let it sit for about 30 secs to gas up.  Next I make a safe trail of fuel from the hole for several metres and light the fuse.  Traditional 'WHOOMP"  then light a smoke to watch the payback for the pain.  

They get me at least once a year and I have to use copious 'stingose' over the bite marks which on me turn into welts.  Later days sees me scratching the intolerable itch.  I imagine the bites are similar to Fire Ants.  

i've declared war on them and whenever I see a nest I don't muck around.  I know if one of the dogs have been stung.  Rolling and rubbing their face and body parts into the ground.

More Australiana for yers.

Kind regards,

Bally:)
(08-07-2020, 05:15 AM)Bally002 Wrote: I have several nests of these little buggers that pop up from time to time on my block.  Generally get me while I'm burning off and raking.

I understand what Fire Ants are like and there are reports of infestations of them in Australia.  This nasty is a Fire Ant on steroids.  It attacks at blinding speed and, no bull, jumps better than a pole vaulter.  

When I get first get stung it's a little too late because the sting is followed by others if I'm not quick enough.  Generally get me through the socks above my shoes or boots and then on my legs and through my trousers if the pants are against the skin.  Sticky little creatures too because if I don't wear gloves and attempt to pick or wipe them off they are into the exposed fingers.  Hence I do a Nicky Lauda retreating, swatting and if necessary taking my footwear off and tearing at my belt to get my trousers off.  

The one pictured at top is the species that habits around here.  It isn't red.  Very hard to see and builds a nest camouflaged by ground litter and an opening.  If I rake over it's too late so generally I burn an area first and check the ground.  They tend to stay in the nest with a bit of smoke around however I have seen them jumping into the flames if I flick the nest to stir them up. 

I don't use pesticides on the ground to get rid of the next.  I mix up a 2 stroke - petrol (gasoline) and oil.  Lots of petrol.   While the nest is quiet I pour the mixture into the hole, and quite a bit too.  I let it sit for about 30 secs to gas up.  Next I make a safe trail of fuel from the hole for several metres and light the fuse.  Traditional 'WHOOMP"  then light a smoke to watch the payback for the pain.  

They get me at least once a year and I have to use copious 'stingose' over the bite marks which on me turn into welts.  Later days sees me scratching the intolerable itch.  I imagine the bites are similar to Fire Ants.  

i've declared war on them and whenever I see a nest I don't muck around.  I know if one of the dogs have been stung.  Rolling and rubbing their face and body parts into the ground.

Kind regards,

Geez mate are you single handedly trying to wreck Australia's tourism industry lol. Well i should say our possible future tourism industry . Luckily i live south where we only have redbacks , snakes ,white pointers and blue ring octopus .
(08-07-2020, 05:15 AM)Bally002 Wrote: I have several nests of these little buggers that pop up from time to time on my block.  Generally get me while I'm burning off and raking.

Kind regards,

We pour gas on their nest or diesel.
Once A Rogue, Always A Rogue!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=936]
(08-07-2020, 05:23 AM)hutch622 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Geez mate are you single handedly trying to wreck Australia's tourism industry lol. Well i should say our possible future tourism industry . Luckily i live south where we only have redbacks , snakes ,white pointers and blue ring octopus .

smallroflmao  Not for me, I would never have gone there, NOPE, he didn't harm your tourism one bit for me or my family.  tinybiggrin
(08-07-2020, 05:30 AM)guohua Wrote:

Kind regards,

smallroflmao  Not for me, I would never have gone there, NOPE, he didn't harm your tourism one bit for me or my family.  tinybiggrin

Just my little effort in assisting the quarantine.

tinybiggrin

Kind regards,

Bull Ant

Kind regards,

Its all hype , well mostly . Much more likely just to go missing in the outback .
(08-07-2020, 05:57 AM)hutch622 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Its all hype , well mostly . Much more likely just to go missing in the outback .

Yeah, that reminds me of someone.  Falconio?  If the animals and flora won't get you.  The creeps will.

Leaving soon for Coffs, guess you won't miss me.  

(08-07-2020, 06:10 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Yeah, that reminds me of someone.  Falconio?  If the animals and flora won't get you.  The creeps will.

Real easy to hide a body out there . Lots of nothing for sure .
Ok , one more joke . Ivan milat and a backpacker are walking into Belangalo state forest one night . Backpacker says geez this place is scary . Milat answers . You think this is scary ive gotta walk back by myself . Sorry .
(08-07-2020, 06:17 AM)hutch622 Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 06:10 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Kind regards,

Real easy to hide a body out there . Lots of nothing for sure .
Ok , one more joke . Ivan milat and a backpacker are walking into Belangalo state forest one night . Backpacker says geez this place is scary . Milat answers . You think this is scary ive gotta walk back by myself . Sorry .

smallrofl
(Goes and pulls out wish list of places to visit.  Finds Australia. Scratches Australia off list.)   tinyfunny
Came into this thread expecting to say "Ha!  I've got a rival for you here in the US!

The Velvet Ant, aka Cow Killer:

[Image: 9urbrvU.jpg]

But nevermind, as I read what your ants do, jump on you and attack, I admit defeat.  These velvet ants are generally hard-to-find ground dwelling wasps and not aggressive unless handled.
[Image: Green%20Banner.jpg]
(08-07-2020, 04:03 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Came into this thread expecting to say "Ha!  I've got a rival for you here in the US!

But nevermind, as I read what your ants do, jump on you and attack, I admit defeat.  These velvet ants are generally hard-to-find ground dwelling wasps and not aggressive unless handled.

Oh, Crap!  tinysurprised
I've never even seen one before or heard of them, Where in the Hell are Those Nasty Creatures Lurking?  tinysure
NOT, going there for vacation!

Update as I was about to post, husband comes in from watering my fruit in the backyard, it's 12:50 PM and 108 degrees and he seen a little hill of Fire Ants, that are now drown in Boat Two Stroke Gas mixture is 50% to a gallon and with a little Seafoam mixed in to help.

All died kicking and screaming. I feel better now.
(08-07-2020, 08:53 PM)guohua Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 04:03 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote: Came into this thread expecting to say "Ha!  I've got a rival for you here in the US!

Oh, Crap!  tinysurprised
I've never even seen one before or heard of them, Where in the Hell are Those Nasty Creatures Lurking?  tinysure

Update as I was about to post, husband comes in from watering my fruit in the backyard, it's 12:50 PM and 108 degrees and he seen a little hill of Fire Ants, that are now drown in Boat Two Stroke Gas mixture is 50% to a gallon and with a little Seafoam mixed in to help.

You're in luck, they're found from Connecticut to Florida and west to Texas. 

Fire ants though, luckily I haven't had to deal with those.
(08-07-2020, 10:43 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

Oh, Crap!  tinysurprised

GiantThumbsUp

Oh, Crap!  tinysurprised

Some ants I have no problem with.  Just those suckers that come out and mindlessly try to inflict pain.  I know they are good for the soil/earth but the bitey ones, they gotta die.

Kinda like the 'bugs' in Starship troopers.  Maybe thats where the author got his inspiration from.  Attacking Ants.  

I saw something that looked like that once in NC. I was standing guard duty outside a bank, and saw a fuzzy red ant that looked like that, but the little bastard was about 2 inches long! I thought, "well that's the biggest damned ant I ever saw, and it's fuzzy and red to boot!" Never saw one like it before, or since, so I figured I should maybe quit drinking or something, as it seemed to be having permanent effects even when I was sober. Thank God I talked myself out of THAT!

Diogenes was eating bread and lentils for supper. He was seen by the philosopher Aristippus, who lived comfortably by flattering the king.

Said Aristippus, ‘If you would learn to be subservient to the king you would not have to live on lentils.’ Said Diogenes, ‘Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king.’

(08-08-2020, 08:26 AM)Ninurta Wrote:

I saw something that looked like that once in NC. I was standing guard duty outside a bank, and saw a fuzzy red ant that looked like that, but the little bastard was about 2 inches long! I thought, "well that's the biggest damned ant I ever saw, and it's fuzzy and red to boot!" Never saw one like it before, or since, so I figured I should maybe quit drinking or something, as it seemed to be having permanent effects even when I was sober. Thank God I talked myself out of THAT!

I hope you kill that Damn Thing!
(08-08-2020, 02:54 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

Oh, Crap!  tinysurprised

Some ants I have no problem with.  Just those suckers that come out and mindlessly try to inflict pain.  I know they are good for the soil/earth but the bitey ones, they gotta die.

Kinda like the 'bugs' in Starship troopers.  Maybe thats where the author got his inspiration from.  Attacking Ants.  

I feel the same with wasps.  Many of the spider wasps I'm cool with, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and they don't mess with people.  There's a nest of spider wasps outside my work where I smoke, I'm usually 2 feet away from it.  They'll come out and check you out, but they've never once been aggressive.

Yellow jackets, on the other hand, can kiss my ass.

Whoever made Starship Troopers DEFINITELY hates bugs lol.

Had a neighbor who served in Vietnam who'd occasional tell me a war story.  He talked about these centipedes they had, they'd toss grenades at them.  I thought that was a bit much until....

[Image: 9dd6be6bbb30157ab13a3e7b73a7934b.jpg]

Yup, I don't blame him, I'd definitely shoot that thing.
(08-08-2020, 06:36 PM)Schmoe1 Wrote:

Had a neighbor who served in Vietnam who'd occasional tell me a war story.  He talked about these centipedes they had, they'd toss grenades at them.  I thought that was a bit much until....

[Image: 9dd6be6bbb30157ab13a3e7b73a7934b.jpg]

Yup, I don't blame him, I'd definitely shoot that thing.

Now I'm spooked.  I have the mini me version of those in the timber I cut.  Biggest would be about 8 inches that I've seen.  Once out in the open the native butcher birds and Kookaburras make short work of them and the wichetty grubs.

Cheers,

Bally