Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I ran over our dog. Part III. The Surgeon.
A very good morning to you all from here.  Was woken just after midnight by one of our small dogs howling in his sleep.  So I woke him up.  All good.  Following that I couldn't go back to sleep so now it is 3.10am (Saturday) here and I thought I post as a follow on for our dog polar/girlie.  Most in part to the well wishes and support we have received.

We were up before dawn yesterday, wife, son and I and took the trip into town.  Waited outside the vet office for a short time and was let in.  There was some kind of other emergency going on so we had to wait a little longer to see girlie.  They bought her out all wrapped up.  Poor dog was limping of course and had a very sad look.  Wasn't really responsive to us.  We'd prepared the rear of the car with soft doonas and room for my son.  (our navigator).  Very slowly and not without pain we lifted girlie into the car and set a course south to the coast clinic to meet with the surgeon there.

It was difficult again upon arrival to get girlie out of the car without pain resulting in her panting and whimpering.  Really hard to take.  Anyway we went into the surgery and luckily we were first up.

The surgeon asked the usual q's and we filled out the paperwork.  He had checked all girlie's x rays but to be certain he could perform an operation with pins and or fusing bones he wished to perform more detailed x rays and would need girlie in at least until Monday afternoon.

A few questions and answers regarding the surgery and he answered them articulately and in a manner we all understood.  He did venture that if girlie could not be operated on here then he could refer us to a 'highly' specialized surgeons in Sydney or Brisbane. 6 hours and 4 hours respectively by car.  A large proportion of Sydney is locked down due to Covid and the border into Queensland (Brisbane) requires special permits to cross and there would be no guarantee we would be allowed back in the future so the option of amputation was discussed.

Sorry but yes, if it came to that.  The surgeon would give it his best shot at repairing the damage first.  So we left 'girlie' on the coast trying to be lighthearted joking she gets a weekend at Coffs Harbor but the mood was quiet on the return trip home. 

Our other 3 dogs investigated the car looking for girlie and I pulled the doonas out and placed them in a corner of the house where the dogs sniffed and laid down on them.  Kinda like they were looking for her.  We went back to work and delivered a couple of loads of wood but perhaps guiltily I slowed at that corner of the driveway where I ran over her.  Will ring the surgery later this morning to check on her welfare.  

We are all missing her.

Kind regards and good vibes to all,

Bally
Thanks for the update, @"Bally002" .  This must be an awful time for you and your family, as well as poor Girlie.

Cheers
[Image: 14sigsepia.jpg]

(07-24-2020, 06:42 PM)F2d5thCav Wrote: Thanks for the update, @"Bally002" .  This must be an awful time for you and your family, as well as poor Girlie.

Cheers

Regards mate,  yes a bit hard to take.  When she returns home we'll make her recovery as painless as possible.  Terrible trying to get her in and out of the car especially with the big cone around her head.

Thanks,

Bally
(07-24-2020, 06:40 PM)Bally002 Wrote: A very good morning to you all from here.  Was woken just after midnight by one of our small dogs howling in his sleep.  So I woke him up.  All good.  Following that I couldn't go back to sleep so now it is 3.10am (Saturday) here and I thought I post as a follow on for our dog polar/girlie.  Most in part to the well wishes and support we have received.

We were up before dawn yesterday, wife, son and I and took the trip into town.  Waited outside the vet office for a short time and was let in.  There was some kind of other emergency going on so we had to wait a little longer to see girlie.  They bought her out all wrapped up.  Poor dog was limping of course and had a very sad look.  Wasn't really responsive to us.  We'd prepared the rear of the car with soft doonas and room for my son.  (our navigator).  Very slowly and not without pain we lifted girlie into the car and set a course south to the coast clinic to meet with the surgeon there.

It was difficult again upon arrival to get girlie out of the car without pain resulting in her panting and whimpering.  Really hard to take.  Anyway we went into the surgery and luckily we were first up.

The surgeon asked the usual q's and we filled out the paperwork.  He had checked all girlie's x rays but to be certain he could perform an operation with pins and or fusing bones he wished to perform more detailed x rays and would need girlie in at least until Monday afternoon.

A few questions and answers regarding the surgery and he answered them articulately and in a manner we all understood.  He did venture that if girlie could not be operated on here then he could refer us to a 'highly' specialized surgeons in Sydney or Brisbane. 6 hours and 4 hours respectively by car.  A large proportion of Sydney is locked down due to Covid and the border into Queensland (Brisbane) requires special permits to cross and there would be no guarantee we would be allowed back in the future so the option of amputation was discussed.

Sorry but yes, if it came to that.  The surgeon would give it his best short at repairing the damage first.  So we left 'girlie' on the coast trying to be lighthearted joking she gets a weekend at Coffs Harbor but the mood was quiet on the return trip home. 

Our other 3 dogs investigated the car looking for girlie and I pulled the doonas out and placed them in a corner of the house where the dogs sniffed and laid down on them.  Kinda like they were looking for her.  We went back to work and delivered a couple of loads of wood but perhaps guiltily I slowed at that corner of the driveway where I ran over her.  Will ring the surgery later this morning to check on her welfare.  

We are all missing her.

Kind regards and good vibes to all,

Bally

if it comes down to it even with 3 legs i'll bet dollars to doughnuts she'll still be the happy dog she was. from reading your threads i believe the bond and love that comes from you your family and her is strong and she'll learn to adapt quickly so she can still be part of what is going on with the rest of you.

best wishes for her
Thanks @"Bally002",

Keep us posted please.

G
[Image: CoolForCatzSig.png]
(07-24-2020, 06:46 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: if it comes down to it even with 3 legs i'll bet dollars to doughnuts she'll still be the happy dog she was. from reading your threads i believe the bond and love that comes from you your family and her is strong and she'll learn to adapt quickly so she can still be part of what is going on with the rest of you.

best wishes for her

Thank you for that Hounddog.  Think I'm getting to be a real softy in my older years.

My regards,

Bally:)
(07-24-2020, 06:48 PM)gordi Wrote: Thanks @"Bally002",

Keep us posted please.

G

Most assuredly Gordi.  I started this to not only show our love for 'girlie' but perhaps a way to drain off the guilt I feel not only towards the dog but to my son who is her best friend.

Cheers mate.

(07-24-2020, 06:50 PM)Bally002 Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 06:46 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote: if it comes down to it even with 3 legs i'll bet dollars to doughnuts she'll still be the happy dog she was. from reading your threads i believe the bond and love that comes from you your family and her is strong and she'll learn to adapt quickly so she can still be part of what is going on with the rest of you.

best wishes for her

Thank you for that Hounddog.  Think I'm getting to be a real softy in my older years.

My regards,

your welcome, and it can happen getting soft but,
your animals are just as much your kids as your kids are, and you can't not see how much this has affected you and your family. there's no way people can't see how much you and your family love her, and her love for you, so i'm not saying it's just being soft it's a family thing.

oh and your other dogs are looking for her too, she's part of their family, and they want to see her.
(07-24-2020, 07:00 PM)hounddoghowlie Wrote:

best wishes for her

My regards,

your animals are just as much your kids as your kids are, and you can't not see how much this has affected you and your family. there's no way people can't see how much you and your family love her, and her love for you, so i'm not saying it's just being soft it's a family thing.

oh and your other dogs are looking for her too, she's part of their family, and they want to see her.
Yeah, I know.  Hanging onto a shitload of guilt presently.  Worried about her, just like I do for  our own children like you say.  

Cheers,

(07-24-2020, 07:17 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

best wishes for her

My regards,

Yeah, I know.  Hanging onto a shitload of guilt presently.  Worried about her, just like I do for  our own children like you say.  

Cheers,

Stop making me cry. 

All will be well. Life happens. We can't beat ourselves up for the curve balls that life throws at us.

Girlie is the luckiest dog in the world to have you.  Not everyone would have chamiponed for her the way you do. And in that way, that only dogs can do, she will let you know that she loves and appreciates you. 

She is going to depend on you to be strong, so don't go wimping out on her. We are still praying for her and the rest of the pack. That includes you and the family.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Thinking of you and Girlie. 

Best wishes!
If I am not here then I am probably someplace else.
(07-24-2020, 08:28 PM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 07:17 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

best wishes for her

My regards,

Cheers,

Stop making me cry. 

All will be well. Life happens. We can't beat ourselves up for the curve balls that life throws at us.

Girlie is the luckiest dog in the world to have you.  Not everyone would have chamiponed for her the way you do. And in that way, that only dogs can do, she will let you know that she loves and appreciates you. 

She is going to depend on you to be strong, so don't go wimping out on her. We are still praying for her and the rest of the pack. That includes you and the family.

Sorry, didn't mean for that.  Of course I will be strong for her and my family.  Just wimp out when I'm by myself.  My son is getting extra hugs from me.  

I know all about the curve balls and we still manage to hit them for six and this will be the case here.  Hasn't slowed us up just added another learning curve to the pitch and we're all adjusting to it in our hearts and our lives.

Kind regards,

(07-24-2020, 08:39 PM)LookingForABetterLife Wrote: Thinking of you and Girlie. 

Best wishes!

I gave her a special hug for you as promised mate.

Kind regards,

Bally
Thoughts are with you and Girlie Bally!

Thanks for updating
It is sounding better every day for Girlie. Fingers crossed. My best to you.
(07-24-2020, 11:14 PM)Moonmagic Wrote: Thoughts are with you and Girlie Bally!

Thanks for updating

No worries, cheers for replying.

(07-24-2020, 11:19 PM)Tarzan the apeman. Wrote: It is sounding better every day for Girlie. Fingers crossed. My best to you.

Regards from us to you too.  

Thanks,

I cried quite a bit after reading your post. Not just for Girlie, but for you and your family. I cannot begin to imagine how agonizing this is for you. I know it’s hard, but hang in there. Girlie is very special, and I think she’ll pull through just fine, even if her leg winds up being amputated. I feel God watches over all of us, including animals and pets. I will keep projecting happy thoughts that Girlie will be okay and you all will be okay. Please know that you have many friends thinking about you. Please don’t let guilt overwhelm you. Shit happens. It’s the way of the world. Stay strong and know we are here for you.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(07-25-2020, 12:04 AM)ChiefD Wrote: I cried quite a bit after reading your post. Not just for Girlie, but for you and your family. I cannot begin to imagine how agonizing this is for you. I know it’s hard, but hang in there. Girlie is very special, and I think she’ll pull through just fine, even if her leg winds up being amputated. I feel God watches over all of us, including animals and pets. I will keep projecting happy thoughts that Girlie will be okay and you all will be okay. Please know that you have many friends thinking about you. Please don’t let guilt overwhelm you. Shit happens. It’s the way of the world. Stay strong and know we are here for you.

I know you are right.  We will all be happier when she is returned home whatever the outcome.  The guilt in me is temporary but I suspect will pang every now and then but I realize we have done all we can to this point and will continue to do so.

I'm just feeling her pain.

No need to cry.  Perhaps save it for our happy reunion with her.

Kind regards, very touching reply.

I know you, Girlie, pack and family will be fine.

Just had to pat your face a little bit so you wouldn't notice the tears behind my eyes.   minusculebiggrin  tinyinlove

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers