Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Internet providers to cut broadband costs for low-income Americans
(05-10-2022, 09:01 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: Well, well, looky here...

Quote:Internet providers to cut broadband costs for low-income Americans

The Biden administration is partnering with major internet companies to provide high-speed internet for no more than $30 a month to millions of low-income Americans.

The commitments are part of the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)

20 major internet providers including Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon have agreed cut the price of their services for eligible low-income households. President Biden and Vice President Harris will announce this new deal on Monday.

The commitments are part of the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which is an aspect of the infrastructure law passed last year.

“With the new commitments, tens of millions of households that are eligible for the ACP will receive internet service free of charge”, an official said to the news reporters on a conference call under anonymity.
Who is eligible for inexpensive broadband?

Currently, about 48 million households in the US are eligible for the affordable internet policy. The plan is for households with an annual income equal to or under 200 percent of the federal poverty line. This roughly equals $27,000 per person or $55,000 for a family of four. Additionally, families enrolled in other federal programs such as Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income or Pell Grants, etc are also eligible.

Last year, Congress passed a bipartisan infrastructure law allowing some low-income families to get a $30 monthly benefit for broadband services. The same was $75 per month for those on tribal lands. Hence, under the new deal, free high-speed internet will be a reality for some households. The administration is going to launch a website (GetInternet.gov) detailing the signup process. It will also reveal details about the providers and their plans to ensure that all eligible families can take advantage.

FCC Affordable Connectivity Program

Step right up and get yer broadband now. Been hearing that since 1998. Only to get screwed on next months bill.

I make five dollars too much so I guess I am SOOL.

I wonder what goes with the package. Your first born, or just your soul.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Internet providers to cut broadband costs for low-income Americans - by NightskyeB4Dawn - 05-10-2022, 09:17 PM