Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Time Magazine Article, My Thoughts. It Isn't What it Seems.
(09-23-2021, 09:38 PM)Ninurta Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 04:07 PM)Wide-Eyes Wrote: I think the big crunch will come when they perfect drone swarms.

If there any engineers here, work on drone defence.

I think drone defense is, in general, like any other defense. It can be broken down into parts: 1 - early warning, 2 - concealment, and 3 - cover.

Early warning.

You've got to know when they are coming in order to know when to employ countermeasures. That will depend on the types of drones used.

Concealment.

What cannot be seen cannot be hit. It's likely that the best approach here is to find out what sort of video and target acquisition systems the drones in question are using. For example, countermeasures against IR detection will be different than countermeasures against radar detection. Additionally, IR detection will depend on whether they employ active IR that illuminates an area, or passive IR or thermal that uses the target's own body heat against it.

Cover.

Cover blocks whatever is being tossed at the target from making it TO the target. Here again a choice is to be made depending on what it is they are throwing at you. Defense against bullets is going to necessarily differ from defense against rockets.

So, step one is intelligence. One has to know what makes the drones tick before knowing what will defeat them.

You've obviously given this some thought. 

You're a wise man Sir. o7

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time Magazine Article, My Thoughts. It Isn't What it Seems. - by Wide-Eyes - 09-23-2021, 11:28 PM