Rogue-Nation3
Laksa Seafood Combination - Printable Version

+- Rogue-Nation3 (https://rogue-nation3.com)
+-- Forum: Members Interests (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-49.html)
+--- Forum: A Rogue's Rations (https://rogue-nation3.com/forum-52.html)
+--- Thread: Laksa Seafood Combination (/thread-6039.html)

Laksa Seafood Combination - Bally002 - 08-09-2020

I need a hit of this meal every now and then.  I first tasted it in Darwin on the Stokes Hill Wharf.  Lots of Asian food, bottle shop and Ice Cream stall to boot.  Great in the 'dry' season.  

Anyway after that I tried making it at home and eventually succeeded.  Have gone to other restaurants down South but it just wasn't the same.  So here where I am now I buy the ingredients, fresh seafood and whip up a dinner.  This time I showed my son how to put it all together.

[Image: Laksa-1.jpg]

I like greens and other fresh veges in the dish along with the seafood.  I cheat and use a jar of Laksa paste but add some pinches of chilli, tumeric, paprika and less than a pinch of ginger powder.  The seafood consists of banana prawns/shrimp peeled, headed and cleaned.  Squid rings, mussels and fish pieces.  Veges include a scalloped onion, long thin beans, some broccoli, diced large 'spring' onions, some mini corn and thinly sliced carrot pieces. Of course chinese thin hair string noodles but they go in last.  Not pictured is a half strip cut red capsicum for color. A can of coconut cream.

I cook in an electric wok because I can turn it down and have a smoke, drink and a nap if necessary which was the case on this occasion.

So I put a small dose of olive oil in the wok.  I then quickly brown the scalloped onions, add water then the thin sliced carrots.  Got those cooking then some more water with the beans, spring onions and get the temp to simmer.  More water then a 2/3 jar of the ocher Laksa paste and stir in.  The smell permeates the kitchen and 'cat' looks at the seafood from the bench as this is going on.  Turn it down and son watches it while I have a smoke and more to drink.  Right, in goes the seafood mix and bring to simmer.  Stirred and cooked until the prawns are edible.  Not soft but a little chewy.  Fish pieces go white and I turn it off.  Drink/smoke and nap.

[Image: Laksa-2.jpg]

Nap over. (45 mins) Recharge glass.  I woke up because I snored that one loud snore. Said, "What are you looking at?" to the dogs and cat and back into the kitchen.  Son joins me and we heat it up again.  At simmer I have a taste and yes that Laksa is tart on its own.  More stirring and taste testing the veges and seafood. All's good.  Pinch of this and pinch of that.

[Image: Laksa-3.jpg]

In goes the the coconut cream and stirred in at a low heat.  Sprinkle of Paprika.  Taste test and nearly done.  It needs to be turned down again and I add the thin hair noodles and mix in thoroughly.  Let it sit a little longer with the lid on.

[Image: Laksa-4.jpg]

When it has an oily color spatted pattern on top, heat to simmer and serve.  

[Image: Laksa-5.jpg]

A nice warm meal for a cold day and proof that it can be done after a bottle of whiskey and with a son.

A large meal and rest is stored in the fridge for the next couple of days.

Kind regards,

Bally:)

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - guohua - 08-09-2020

@"Bally002" 
LET'S EAT!  :mediumlunchtime: 
Edited to add, I would be holding Chopsticks and still Smiling with a Hungry Look and Drool!  tinybigeyes

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - Bally002 - 08-09-2020

(08-09-2020, 08:27 PM)guohua Wrote: @"Bally002" 
Edited to add, I would be holding Chopsticks and still Smiling with a Hungry Look and Drool!  tinybigeyes

Happy to serve it up to you.  Would you like a fortune cookie with that and an up-sized whiskey?

minusculebeercheers

Bally

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - Mystic Wanderer - 08-09-2020

Looks good,

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.dribbble.com%2Fuser...f=1&nofb=1]

which reminds me, it's time to start supper.

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - guohua - 08-10-2020

(08-09-2020, 10:39 PM)Bally002 Wrote:

Happy to serve it up to you.  Would you like a fortune cookie with that and an up-sized whiskey?

minusculebeercheers

Bally

Thanks, No ice in my drink please.

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - Bally002 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 02:50 AM)guohua Wrote:

minusculebeercheers

Bally

Snaps fingers, "Garcon, 1 Laksa Seafood, 1 Fortune Cookie, bottle of our finest whisky and glass.  Let the lady pour and keep those bottles coming.  Rapidement!"

Bally.:)

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - guohua - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 06:36 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

minusculebeercheers

Bally

Snaps fingers, "Garcon, 1 Laksa Seafood, 1 Fortune Cookie, bottle of our finest whisky and glass.  Let the lady pour and keep those bottles coming.  Rapidement!"

Just Perfect. Thank You.
I think that was a Satisfying Burp from Mystic Wanderer.

RE: Laksa Seafood Combination - Bally002 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 08:06 AM)guohua Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 06:36 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

minusculebeercheers

Bally

Just Perfect. Thank You.
I think that was a Satisfying Burp from Mystic Wanderer.

Will be burping tomorrow night.  It's 'true loves' birthday and she booked a table at our favorite Indian restaurant.  Looking forward to some hot food.

Bally:)  Left over Laksa tastes better tonight.