Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What the hell is happening with Rogue-Nation?
Dear everyone,

The last few weeks have been just a bit crazy.

Here's a recap of what has happened, followed by what we are doing now:

1 - Site was hacked. Most of everyone knows that by now.

2 - To salvage the site from oblivion, we had to upgrade everything first, from our Background Control Panels to the Web Hosting Server security features.

3 - We had to hire a team of experts to clean out contaminated and remaining suspicious files.

4 - We had to reinstall the mybb platform and upgrade it. We had to reinstall Themes.

5 - In doing so, we added two themes, one called Dark V2 (for desktop) and Roundo Darko (for mobile)

6 - We started reinstalling plugins. (those are the added features that add fun to the site, such as the Shoutbox, Alerts and so on)

This is where the shit hit the fan.

MyBB (the platform that hold themes becomes unstable when more than one theme is added on, as plugins start malfunctioning). That is when we start getting server load messages as it becomes strained, and the responsiveness of the site becomes sluggish.

Many of you have noticed that and gave much needed feedback. MyAlerts freezes the page when clicked on. Starring threads and rating posts are on and off.

Adding a Recent Thread plugin to Dark V2 has screwed up Roundo Darko's recent pages built-in feature that now just shows a title without any description.

Adding plugins to one theme screws up the other. It's like a merry go round from hell.

These are just the tip of the iceberg, as members see it up here on the boards but there are other problems and issues that arise in the background and which you cannot see as a member.

For example, the Shoutbox cannot be reinstalled as it gives an error code that cannot be fixed. Another example is when we install MyAlerts on BOTH themes, the plugins cross wires and start malfunctioning, on BOTH themes.

So, what are we up to now? What is the solution?

Only one solution comes to mind: We need ONE theme, not two or three or a dozen. ONE.

But one that will satisfy both our desktop users, as it needs to look good and be as easy to navigate as Dark V2. But Dark V2 is a visual nightmare for mobile users. THAT is a problem.

And at the same time, be responsive, good looking and as easy to navigate as Roundo Darko, for our mobile users. But Roundo Darko is too different in layout and isn't user-friendly for desktop users. And THAT is a problem.

Finding a theme that would satisfy both our desktop users AND our mobile users is the key as we could take out all remaining themes and only use ONE theme and by doing so, avoid conflicts of themes AND conflicts of plugins.

But does such a theme even exist?

The good news is, we think we found it. It looks quite a lot like Dark V2, is super easy to navigate, fast and very responsive AND is mobile friendly. A fantastic combination of both worlds.

We are testing it now on our test site and EVERYTHING is functional. It's still bare bones but we've started tweaking it, and we will be starting to add plugins to it asap.

It will not be uploaded here on RN3 until tweaks are all done and we are 100% sure that the plugins work as they should.

I know, I know. Some of you may think "here we go again" and you are right. 100% right.

But if we want a functional RN3 environment, there are no other options. None. We've tried them all, trust me, for days on end.

In a very near future, when all is said and done, when RN3 gets back to being a fun loving glitchy free environment, we'll all be happy to be here, without having issues that we never asked for. And at some point, we'll be able to laugh at what happened here at RN3.

So trust us just a little more. Be patient just a little more. We're almost there.

I personally thank you, once again, for your support, your feedback, for sticking around through the bad times. All Admins have put a tremendous amount of work and countless hours, not only on saving RN3 from an almost certain doom, but also on restoring everything up from scratch.

Many of you lurk right now, we see it in the stats, and we thank you as well for keeping an eye on us.

We will be sending emails to everyone once we announce the final stages of RN3 resurrection.

We're almost there.

Stay tuned,

Sol - for Ninurta, Gordi, BIAD, Senona, DuckforcoveR and Staff.

~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~
Sounds kinda complicated.

Sending love to the site staff. We know you work hard there, in the background.
"Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

-Jean-Paul Sartre
I can’t even begin to imagine the crap you all have been dealing with the last few weeks. I’m so grateful that you all are working your asses off to do this. It’s obvious that you all care deeply about this site, just as the rest of us minions do. There just isn’t enough ways for me to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. For awhile, I thought all was lost. When I couldn’t get anything, I actually cried. 

Regarding the themes, I’ve always considered my Ipad a mobile device, but I have the Dark theme on it, and it’s working fine. I’m thinking the Darko theme is readable for cell phones. I don’t look at this site on my cell phone. I use mainly my Ipad, and sometimes my desktop. On my Ipad, I notice I can rate without things freezing up. Yesterday, I tried to rate on my desktop, and it freezes there, same theme. No idea what to think of that.

But at least now I don’t have to try 5-6 times to login. It has worked the first time the last couple of days in a row. So things are getting there. Whatever theme works the best works for me. Considering how bad things were before, I think it’s a small price to pay to have to get used to a different theme. Change is never easy. But it’s essential in this case. I for one want to be able to get on this site. So for those complaining about the other theme, well, how badly do you want to access this site? 

Anyway, again, thank you so much for all that you all are doing! After the first of the month, I’ll see what I have in my budget and may be able to donate some $$$.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8180]
(10-22-2022, 09:19 PM)ChiefD Wrote: I can’t even begin to imagine the crap you all have been dealing with the last few weeks. I’m so grateful that you all are working your asses off to do this. It’s obvious that you all care deeply about this site, just as the rest of us minions do. There just isn’t enough ways for me to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. For awhile, I thought all was lost. When I couldn’t get anything, I actually cried. 

Regarding the themes, I’ve always considered my Ipad a mobile device, but I have the Dark theme on it, and it’s working fine. I’m thinking the Darko theme is readable for cell phones. I don’t look at this site on my cell phone. I use mainly my Ipad, and sometimes my desktop. On my Ipad, I notice I can rate without things freezing up. Yesterday, I tried to rate on my desktop, and it freezes there, same theme. No idea what to think of that.

But at least now I don’t have to try 5-6 times to login. It has worked the first time the last couple of days in a row. So things are getting there. Whatever theme works the best works for me. Considering how bad things were before, I think it’s a small price to pay to have to get used to a different theme. Change is never easy. But it’s essential in this case. I for one want to be able to get on this site. So for those complaining about the other theme, well, how badly do you want to access this site? 

Anyway, again, thank you so much for all that you all are doing! After the first of the month, I’ll see what I have in my budget and may be able to donate some $$$.

A cigar.

To ChiefD. Right now!

Really eloquent, loved that!

[Image: leonardo-glass-leonardo.gif]

-Jean-Paul Sartre
All is well. You guys keep rocking it. Thanks for all the time you are putting into this.

By the way, the"Dear Everyone" did make me chuckle.

tinybiggrin
WHAT THE HELL !!
Hello, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help. tinylaughing

Keep plug-in'ing along Sol, you'll get there right soon.

[Image: Vj5fW86.gif]
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

(10-22-2022, 11:47 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: Hello, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help.

tinylaughing

I wasn't exactly thinking about the gubment when I said "Dear everyone" in the OP...

[Image: m0qoLni.png]

tinylaughing
(10-23-2022, 12:24 AM)Sol Wrote: I wasn't exactly thinking about the gubment when I said "Dear everyone" in the OP...

tinylaughing

That's as good as the sign in my neighborhood that says "Give Cyclists 3 Feet"

They only have 2 pedals. Why complicate things?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
(10-23-2022, 12:31 AM)Freija Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 12:24 AM)Sol Wrote: I wasn't exactly thinking about the gubment when I said "Dear everyone" in the OP...

tinylaughing

That's as good as the sign in my neighborhood that says "Give Cyclists 3 Feet"

They only have 2 pedals. Why complicate things?

tinylaughing

I know! Us too in Canada. 3 feet. Just enough to get into a head on collision while avoiding the cyclist tinylaughing
(10-22-2022, 11:47 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: Hello, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help. tinylaughing

Cool!

I need a safe and effective vaccine and a profound explanation how hyperinflation helps the wealth to trickle down.

-Jean-Paul Sartre
Bring back the shoutbox, i am gonna drown Brother Man with love! minusculebeercheers

-Jean-Paul Sartre
** A Test Site Update **

The new theme is being altered without any surprises so far.

As of right now, we're just about finished redoing codes for site decorations (new colors, new fonts, new contrasted areas, creating new containers to hold bigger signatures, a banner container, a shoutbox container, etc) before we start installing the goodies.

We've just invited the Mods and SuperMods to help us test the different functions.

We haven't seen a glitch since we've started testing it. Not one. THAT is fantastic news!!

We will be starting to install plugins shortly, to try and deliver this new theme here before the October 28th party begins. If it stays on par for the course, we should be able to.

If not, and if it takes a little longer, well, we rather wait just a little more but bring something that is 100% functional and not something that starts crumbling as days go by like what we're having now, with this current theme, here on RN3.

Stay tuned!!

Sol - for Admins & Staff.
Thank u Sol. You are wonderful.

-Jean-Paul Sartre
Wink 
If it is any encouragement, since people have been twiddling knobs and dials on the back-end like The Wizard of Oz behind his curtain, HTTPS now works as intended on the site, across all pages. This is a huge security improvement, imho. I say this a as a user and an ex-sys-admin. Before the site went down, HTTPS was only available on the first page, all other clicked-on links led to HTTP. Not any more.

Just my 2 cents, adjusted for hyper-inflation.
(10-23-2022, 06:29 PM)Sol Wrote: ** A Test Site Update **

The new theme is being altered without any surprises so far.

As of right now, we're just about finished redoing codes for site decorations (new colors, new fonts, new contrasted areas, creating new containers to hold bigger signatures, a banner container, a shoutbox container, etc) before we start installing the goodies.

We've just invited the Mods and SuperMods to help us test the different functions.

We haven't seen a glitch since we've started testing it. Not one. THAT is fantastic news!!

We will be starting to install plugins shortly, to try and deliver this new theme here before the October 28th party begins. If it stays on par for the course, we should be able to.

If not, and if it takes a little longer, well, we rather wait just a little more but bring something that is 100% functional and not something that starts crumbling as days go by like what we're having now, with this current theme, here on RN3.

Stay tuned!!

Sol - for Admins & Staff.

Dear everyone,

[Image: njT0ic9.gif]

[Image: 8sbYXz8.gif]
"The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme." – Daniel Quinn

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that." ― John Lennon

Rogue News says that the US is a reality show posing as an Empire.

To site staff:

[Image: 0d3dfc95-fac8-43e2-99f8-39c5bbb42c18-eastpark5.jpg]

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(10-23-2022, 07:49 PM)EndtheMadnessNow Wrote: [Image: njT0ic9.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

-Jean-Paul Sartre
(10-23-2022, 07:32 PM)LightSpeedDriver Wrote: If it is any encouragement, since people have been twiddling knobs and dials on the back-end like The Wizard of Oz behind his curtain, HTTPS now works as intended on the site, across all pages. This is a huge security improvement, imho. I say this a as a user and an ex-sys-admin. Before the site went down, HTTPS was only available on the first page, all other clicked-on links led to HTTP. Not any more.

Just my 2 cents, adjusted for hyper-inflation.

Thanks for the feedback. See, this is something I hadn't even noticed. We jacked up the security up the wazoo in the background.

Better safe than sorry. Lesson learned. tinylaughing
(10-24-2022, 10:33 AM)Sol Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. See, this is something I hadn't even noticed. We jacked up the security up the wazoo in the background.

Better safe than sorry. Lesson learned.  tinylaughing

Please Note: 'Wazoo' is a technical term in the computer world and should not be confused with the eighties duo 'Yazoo'
tinycrying
Edith Head Gives Good Wardrobe. 
All the hard work is much appreciated.  I'm still hanging out and waiting.  Thanks!