Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Riding The Train
I am thinking about taking a 30 hour train ride in a couple of weeks.

It has been a long time since I have been on a train. Looking for tips and advice from anyone that is a frequent train traveler. Or anyone that has any information to help me make the decision whether to make the trip or not.

I was going to drive, but I did not want to do more than eight hour a day. This would take three days, adding in the cost of gas and hotels, th train seemed like a better option. Airline is not an option.

So any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(09-03-2022, 04:07 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I am thinking about taking a 30 hour train ride in a couple of weeks.

It has been a long time since I have been on a train. Looking for tips and advice from anyone that is a frequent train traveler. Or anyone that has any information to help me make the decision whether to make the trip or not.

I was going to drive, but I did not want to do more than eight hour a day. This would take three days, adding in the cost of gas and hotels, th train seemed like a better option. Airline is not an option.

If you haven't already booked it.  Get a sleeper cabin.  I easily sleep over 8 hours in a sleeper.  Motion of the train an all.  Gotta love it on long hauls.

My thoughts, 

Bally:)
(09-03-2022, 06:53 AM)Bally002 Wrote:
(09-03-2022, 04:07 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote: I am thinking about taking a 30 hour train ride in a couple of weeks.

If you haven't already booked it.  Get a sleeper cabin.  I easily sleep over 8 hours in a sleeper.  Motion of the train an all.  Gotta love it on long hauls.

My thoughts, 

I have not booked a sleeper. The trip is only $250.00 round trip. To get a sleeper is an additional $900.00, each way. The whole trip is $250.00, round trip. Add the sleeper, that would be an additional $1800.00  dollars. Even at 30 hours of travel, I can't make sense of it.

For every one person that read this post. About 7.99 billion have not. 

Yet I still post.  tinyinlove
  • minusculebeercheers 

(09-03-2022, 07:36 AM)NightskyeB4Dawn Wrote:
(09-03-2022, 06:53 AM)Bally002 Wrote:

My thoughts, 

I have not booked a sleeper. The trip is only $250.00 round trip. To get a sleeper is an additional $900.00, each way. The whole trip is $250.00, round trip. Add the sleeper, that would be an additional $1800.00  dollars. Even at 30 hours of travel, I can't make sense of it.

Never been on a long train trip like that. My experience with trains, the trip was only an hour or so. But, I would take a train over driving any day. 

If you have motion sickness, make sure you get a seat that faces in the direction the train is travelling. It's never fun facing backwards. It only makes motion sickness worse.
I can't read things in a car. Not even billboards and signs if I am not the one driving. But listening to episodes of a radio show I had downloaded on my laptop was doable for me when I've been on trains. You might want to consider something like that to preoccupy the time. Audio books and the like. 30 hours is quite a long time.
Last time taking a train for a long ride like that seems like eons ago.

I would recommend bringing books to read, and a tablet if they have wifi - they normally do. Not doing anything will seem eternal on a 30 hours ride.

I'd also recommend finding out where the closest washrooms are. Finding more than one if ones is busy as you never know when you'll need one in a rush..

I'd also look around to see if they have a sightseeing trolley. Some of them do and it's a cool feature.

Finally, I'd recommend finding where the bar is at but hey, I'm a beer guzzling guy lol..

Safe trip!!
~ Today is the youngest you'll ever be again ~